Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs by Frictional Games and Dear Esther devs

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Amnesia has a small modding community. I never tried any mods for it, but some are supposed to be quite good.

They will probably expand the modding tools for the engine with this release. But alas, adventure games rarely offer replayability. I don't even know if that is valid criticism.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yeah it doesn't look that good. Frictional games will never go back to the Penumbra series which was actually decent. Amnesia was just like a jalapeno pepper aka only good for the hot/scare but not really that fulfilling.

KidBoogie

Learned
This looks pretty damn good to me, minus the "FIT ONLY FOR THE SLAUGHTERING OF PIGS" shit. The graphics look very nice in some areas, and really shitty in others so I hope that gets fixed, but the environment design looks really good.

1:08 onward is great. I really like how they made the monster a lot faster than the last game. Seems less scripted as well (judging from one whole scene of course)

Rpgsaurus Rex

Yeah it doesn't look that good. Frictional games will never go back to the Penumbra series which was actually decent. Amnesia was just like a jalapeno pepper aka only good for the hot/scare but not really that fulfilling.

LOL no. Amnesia was 99% atmosphere and 1% cheap scares, which was what set it apart from the "popamole horror" (Dead Space) and into the "monocle horror" (Silent Hill 1-2) territory.

The reason it's not replayable is that it's extremely linear (which is fine, since quality > quantity).

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Jalapeños will give a lot of flavour to your dish as well as being hot. You can use jalapeños to simply make a dish hot but that's a very ignorant and tasteless thing to do, and you might as well use some shit like tabasco for that.

Phelot

Arcane
Just watched this now and I'm not impressed. Frictional should have never included these dumb fuck lamers. That trailer seems trapped between trying to be scary and trying to be a terrible art major project. I had such high hopes for Frictional. I really did, but I can't understand why they let these idiots ruin their shtick.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Silent Hill is considered "Monocle horror" now?
All right, let me ask this.
If we don't consider Silent Hill 2 a good horror game, then what is?

And don't tell me the horror genre consists of only two to three "good games". The Silent Hill serious works - worked - hard at creating unsettling, atmospheric environments. Most of the time it succeeded. I am not a huge fan of Amnesia but it's really not terrible in that department. It could be better, of course. Most things can. But what is a realistic standard?

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
If we don't consider Silent Hill 2 a good horror game, then what is?

Penumbra: Black Plague.

I would even place Penumbra: Overture and Amnesia Dark Descent over Silent Hill anything in the "monocle horror" department if that's what you want to call it. Console games are shit, dude, face it.

Edit: and I find it especially fitting that my 666 post is about horror games.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So the only "monocle horror" games that do atmosphere well are Amnesia and two Penumbra games?
What do they do atmospherically and psychologically that Silent Hill 2 fails to do?

I'm very interested.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, Jasede is right. Penumbra doesn't have the psychological horror of wrestling with weird camera angles, horrible controls and your character doing everything except what you want him to do :troll:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Try to take this seriously. I've played a lot of games of all types so I'm genuinely curious as how this viewpoint came to be.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I'm not going to try to sway your opinion buddy if you want to mash buttons on a controller and run around with a lead pipe trying to find your daughter by all means do it. I'll stick with what suits me better, I feel that Penumbra games are much more interactive, a bit less abstract, and more motivating to play.

Machocruz

Arcane
Were the controls fluid and responsive enough to allow button mashing. Control is one thing Amnesia has over SH, I'll give it that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I'm not asking you to change my mind, I'm asking you to tell me what psychological and atmospheric elements, in your opinion, made Amnesia/Penumbra better games than Eternal Darkness or Silent Hill 2.

But if it's just an issue with the controls or the localisation I don't think we'll get anywhere. What I wanted to hear was something like:

"Silent Hill fails at creating a frightening atmosphere because X, Y, Z. Penumbra does not because it does A, B, C."

If your X, Y and Z are controls, localisation and plot then I guess that's all we can say about that and let's leave it at that.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Well, Jasede is right. Penumbra doesn't have the psychological horror of wrestling with weird camera angles, horrible controls and your character doing everything except what you want him to do :troll:
Yeah, Amnesia is just a shit game, with blocking monsters with chairs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom