Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs by Frictional Games and Dear Esther devs

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
:necro:

Got this in the Halloween sale, and holy balls did it suck.

It's really more a sequel to "Dear Esther" than it is to Amnesia.The ending deals with some interesting ideas about the horrors of the 20th century, but much like "Dear Esther," the developers never find a compelling means of expressing those ideas via gameplay. So you are left with an odd tech demo type experience that is part adventure game, part horror game, and part interactive movie, but that never commits fully enough to any of these elements to do them properly. The monsters are just downright silly looking (they reminded me of the pig sidekick from "Beyond Good and Evil," so I kind of just wanted to give them a hug), they are barely used, and when they are used they aren't used effectively (you can just outrun them 99% of the time). "Amnesia" wasn't known for its puzzles, but it did have some cool physics based puzzles, where as AMFP igbnores the physics engine and just has a bunch of "find three buttons to progress" type puzzles.

The result, much like “Dear Esther,” reaches far, but ultimately collapses under the weight of its own pretensions, ending up playing a bit like an amateurish “Amnesia” mod awkwardly mashed up with a freshman creative writing project.

Massive disappointment. Plus, I completed it in 3 hours using no walkthroughs or help of any kind.....so 20, or even 5, dollars is asking a bit much for this. "Dear Esther" at least had gorgeous level design and graphics, but this is pretty ugly on top of the shit gameplay. So there's not much to recommend it.

If anyone is still thinking of buying this, don't. I am a MASSIVE "Amnesia" fan, which is the main reason I still bought it after the lackluster reviews, but it really is one of the worst games I've played in recent memory.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

For those interested, the developer The Chinese Room posted a series of development postmortem:
http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/remember-amfp-part-1
http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/remember-amfp-part-2
http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/remember-amfp-part-3
http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/remember-amfp-part-4
http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/remember-amfp-part-5
http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/remember-amfp-part-6

6Engine.png

Robert Jarzebina

Amnesia Machine for pigs has great OST that is saving the game. It is one of the shit games that you can love somehow just for the music, story and mood.

Story is also good in my opinion:

December 23rd 1899

I stand and look at myself in the mirror, penis in hand and my reflection grins at me and his mouth is full of the sulphur mustards. "Vain fool", he sneers, "Are you really so very different? Do you genuinely believe your works of evil are any greater than the rest of them? You are simply a weak man, a product of his age, the same as any other. This is Empire, cretin, this is the killing idiocy, the natural result of this social Darwinism. If you are evil, then this world is evil. You just let the blood run in the street rather than hiding it in the poorhouse. You hold the blade and slide it home yourself, you do not pay a man to do this for you where you cannot see it. If you are evil, at least yours is an honest evil and that alone makes you Ubermensch". And thus I wash my hands and take to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 7219

Amnesia Machine for pigs has great OST that is saving the game. It is one of the shit games that you can love somehow just for the music, story and mood.

The composer is Jessica Curry. She also did the soundtrack for Dear Esther, which in my opinion contributed a great deal to the atmosphere of that game. The soundtrack is piano and violin, and some weird stuff thrown in that gives it an almost horror vibe (choral pieces and the odd distorted sound effect).

Curry is literally married into The Chinese Room, but if she was at a different studio, just imagine the kind of game she might be scoring.

Sorry for necro, but I was thinking of this game (A Machine For Pigs) and I still don't get it. Industrialization = creepy and oppressive? But why has the gameplay have to be shit?

Ringhausen

Augur
If Britain´s finest generation is gonna be lost on the Somme you might as well... turn them into pig people? Dude, I dunno lmao

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game works on the same version of the graphics engine as the first Amnesia, which is HPL 2. Therefore, I did not expected visual fireworks. However, it was possible to fill the space with more details. The rooms are filled with all sorts of objects, paintings hang on the walls, and everything is covered with blackness of darkness setting a proper mood. The first impression is important, and you can see that the team can create eye-catching locations. We get a new lamp, which we can light up the Egyptian darkness. The lamp does not need any more fuel, we can use it non-stop without the need to store up. A bit like a gun in a typical shooter with an infinite supply of ammunition. Completely removed the mechanism of falling into the madness of the main character. Strange sounds coming out of nowhere, image changing. We will not be able to do this anymore. The fact is that after a while, we got used to it, and that this aspect could be more developed. Here, as in most cases, a child with a bath was spilled instead of trying to fix this aspect of the game.

In Machine For Pigs we will also be able to move for the first time through the open streets of the city. Gloomy, air-saturated with chemicals from ubiquitous factories makes us feel nothing on another planet. Unfortunately, things turn out to be uninteresting when we encounter the first "riddles" that need to be solved. Quotation is indicated here, because the level of their difficulty, or actually its lack, kills the pleasure of the game. We do not have to collect items, everything that is needed, we usually have at hand. A few clicks and voila, we are moving forward.

At some point, Amnesia is reminiscent of the Activision military productions, in which we move virtually along a long corridor. The predecessor, Dark Descent, did not have spaghetti-like labyrinths from Daggerfall, but often forced the player to map his location in his head. Here, we are safe. Finally, there is the question of monsters that we will have to avoid. There will also be no good news here. They are much easier to escape and they are not as frightening as in the original. In order not to be groundless, I will only mention that during the entire game the undersigned reviewer died twice. Even when we get a little off, thanks to the quickly regenerating health, we can safely continue to run down the gutter. Indeed, developers have managed to create a nightmarish game. Although probably not about the nightmare dreamers of the players. The whole ends in about 3.4 hours.

When it comes to sound, it has nothing to cling to. A lot of new sounds have been added, which makes Amnesia much richer in sound, which can create a disturbing atmosphere. Visually, as it was already marked, the bar was raised as well thanks to the artists working on a stable platform. Only the actors who voice the characters seem to be very anemic, as if they were on tranquilizers. Daniel and Alexander are missing here.

One can get the impression that The Chinese Room had one goal. Create a title that referred more to Silent Hill than the predecessor. Unfortunately, the creators lacked talent, thanks to which the dreamy atmosphere known from Konami's work flies here quickly. The most effect spoils the notebook itself, in which we systematically explain what is happening. Something jumped around the corner, we have to solve the puzzle, next entry appears. Instead of communicating with us through the game, an interactive medium, we got her a substitute. The notes of other people we find are very interesting and motivate to continue. It is a pity that there are so few of them.

Overall, I would give 6/10, due to the signalized problems.

Dr1f7

Scholar

just finished this game and was totally blown away through the entire experience
then I come to this thread and am severely disappointed to see you all shitting on it

it's a shame that you can't just appreciate a great (probably one of the best of all time) game for what it is, and instead get butthurt over it not being precisely what you wanted it to be
and if anyone's turned away from this game due to the negative press, try it and see for yourself.. It's a 4 hour game, doesn't ask much from you, and delivers more than any 40+ hour game I've ever played

this is quite literally a perfect game
my only regret is that I'll never be able to experience it for the first time again
unless i drink an amnesia potion

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom