Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amnesia: Rebirth - sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Descent set in the desert of Algeria

Venser

Erudite
https://amnesiarebirth.com

https://af.gog.com/game/amnesia_rebirth?as=1649904300

In Amnesia: Rebirth, you are Tasi Trianon, waking up deep in the desert of Algeria. Days have passed. Where have you been? What did you do? Where are the others? Retrace your journey, pull together the fragments of your shattered past; it is your only chance to survive the pitiless horror that threatens to devour you.

Coming out Autumn 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starwars

Arcane
Will be interesting to see what they're going for this time. I don't consider SOMA a walking simulator like some people here do but it's close, and it works brilliantly with SOMA, but I hope they don't push any further in that direction.

Definitely hope to see the same attention to detail and worldcrafting as in SOMA though.

Ivan

Arcane
In Frictional I trust, but plz, no more scary underwater sections :negative: I almost had a heart attack with Soma

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.pcgamer.com/frictional-games-weird-teaser-is-growing/

Teaser goes from a pulsating dot to a cell.

Fizw95tL5TCKWzyjg9TNT6.jpg

:bounce:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
More shit to ponder about:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-24-soma-studio-teases-new-game-with-arg

SOMA studio's ARG to tease new game is underway
Keep an eye out.

There is currently a very spooky pulsating object on Frictional Games' website - and judging by the page name, I think it's safe to say this is about a new game. But what is that thing? An eyeball, frogspawn? Who knows.

The studio, known for its utterly terrifying horror games Amnesia: The Dark Descent and SOMA, apparently began the ARG at the end of December - and fans are in the midst of unravelling the mystery.

jpg

For those unfamiliar, ARG means alternate reality game, normally taking the form of a treasure hunt across the internet to hop between clues and solve a puzzle. Transmedia storytelling, if you want to be fancy - and one famous example includes the I Love Bees ARG used to market Halo 2.

The main discussion seems to be taking place on the Frictional Games Discord, and within that, someone's created a Google doc to list all possible ideas. The main findings so far, as explained by Foxnull on ResetEra, are two YouTube videos - the first of which was found by hovering over an eyeball hieroglyph on the website. Fans have so far spotted some weird symbols on a rock, theories for which currently range from mitosis to alien symbols. The video's description, meanwhile, says the video is from Shetpe in Kazakhstan, suggesting the game could take place during the time of the KSSR (1936-91). A possible location, perhaps?

The second YouTube video, meanwhile, was found via the website's code - and leads to a black-screen video with some nasty screams. ARG-ers are currently focusing on the "triple crown" hint in the description, which some believe could be linked to the Egyption Triple Atef or "Hemhem" crown. That would link in nicely with the Egyptian-style eye on the website, but it's still anyone's guess.

This isn't the first time Frictional Games has used an ARG to tease a new game: one was used to market SOMA, the reward for which was a 12-minute gameplay trailer. This one's a little different, as we don't yet know the new game's title - which could make the reward even sweeter. Or more horrifying, perhaps.

Haven't noticed that Egyptian symbol before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I'm so confused, but I don't even care because Frictional is going to save gaming.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

HOW MANY MORE BOXES BEFORE MEPHISTOPHELES WILL BE SUMMONED!?

Edit: Rough transcription:

There is an itching behind my eyes. As if a beetle burrows there, in the folds of my brain, boring its way in, mandibles tearing at grey matter. As if a gnarled finger has been pushed into my skull, a broken fingernail working into my thoughts. I want to reach in with a needle to scratch it. Or perhaps a piece of wire. Through the tear-duct, threading through the lacrimal canal.

Thread-like black worms swim in my eyes. When I think about them they are agitated and start to thrash around. They know I am scared. And it makes them worse.

If I hold myself still. If I easy my mind, if I empty my head and try not to be afraid of... Then the itching fades to the tickling of a feather. I've tried filling myself with the notes of a song, or the colours of a beautiful picture, but it doesn't work.

Only emptiness gives me any <bloodstain>

I wish I had my gun.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom