Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amnesia: The Bunker - first-person horror in desolate WW1 bunker

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://frictionalgames.com/2023-10-amnesia-the-bunker-halloween-update-launch/

Amnesia: The Bunker Halloween Update launch​

The Halloween Update for Amnesia: The Bunker is here!
This very special update brings a bunch of NEW FEATURES to Amnesia: The Bunker, really switching up the gameplay, adding new horrors and heaps of replay value.
The new update comes with TWO completely new game modes:
  • Shell Shock Mode: For the most Hardcore experience – a true test of guts.
  • Custom Mode: Customize your experience with 30+ settings and parameters.

Some of the new FEATURES available in the new modes are:
  • New stalker behaviors that increases unpredictability
  • A sublevel fuse system
  • Hardcore version of the health system
  • Randomized corpses and dog tags
  • Randomized locker locations
  • Revolver located in one of the lockers and not available from start
  • New Training Grounds level for you to practice your skills
  • Saving your progress costs fuel
  • …and much more!
Note: Most of these are New Game+ features and are only accessible by completing the game on any difficulty once.
(Or you can unlock this with the press of a button)
Happy Halloween!
Watch the trailer now:

Patch log may contain spoilers, beware!

PATCH LOG – AMNESIA: THE BUNKER | HALLOWEEN UPDATE

General​

• Added two new game modes, Shell Shock Mode and Custom Mode. They include the following new features:
    • New Stalker behaviors that increases unpredictability
    • A sublevel fuse system
    • Hardcore version of the health system
    • Randomized corpses and dog tags
    • Randomized locker locations
    • Revolver located in one of the lockers and not available from start
    • Reduced safe room
    • Fuel Storage door locked with a code lock
    • Game not paused while in inventory
    • New achievements for completing the game on the new game modes
    • New save systems (saving costs fuel, no saving)
    • Over 30+ settings to tailor your gameplay experience to your liking
  • Added the Training Grounds, a new map accessible from the main menu after completing the game once.
  • Added support for 120 FPS on PC.

Gameplay Improvements​

• Improved resource and prop randomization.
  • Enhanced the challenge of the Shotgunner encounter.
  • Randomized the Shotgunner’s starting position on consecutive playthroughs.
  • Wooden containers like crates and barrels can now spawn random resources when broken.
  • Added a dog tag by the corpse in the cell in the Prison.
  • The rats in the Hub are now active from the start on consecutive playthroughs.
  • Traps in the Hub are now randomized on consecutive playthroughs.
  • Removed the scripted rat trap event in Maintenance on consecutive playthroughs.
  • Disabled player fall damage.
  • Increased crawling speed when injured.
  • Increased gas damage on Hard Mode.

Misc Fixes​

• Fixed a bug where save slots could disappear.
  • Added a Particle Quality setting that affects flare, gas, fire, and grenade entities/particles.
  • Fixed an issue where the player could get stuck behind the generator.
  • Fixed an issue where the torch was missing a flame on certain platforms.
  • Fixed an issue where you could get locked inside the charge lantern state when moving between maps.
  • Fixed an issue where the player’s hands could become misaligned after a cutscene animation played.
  • The item highlight effect now works properly on meat items.
  • Fixed an issue with player blood trails not spawning properly.
  • Fixed an issue where the gun cylinder rotation would be incorrect.
  • Fixed an issue where a hint on how to use fuel would appear when it shouldn’t.
  • Resolved an issue where an item held in your right hand would move across the screen after charging the lantern.
  • When disarming traps, the camera no longer rotates to random spots.
  • Fixed missing letters in some names in the end credits.
  • Fixed a culling issue inside the Warden’s Office in Prison.
  • Reduced the Stalker’s collider size when inside the hurt state, to prevent it from blocking the player’s path.
  • The moon should no longer be missing in No Man’s Land on some platforms.
  • Fixed some instances of floating pickup items.
  • Fixed a culling issue in the corridor outside the Break Room in Soldier Quarters.
  • Fixed a hole in the geometry in Maintenance.
  • Jumping up on the table in Administration no longer causes the room’s props to disappear.
  • Resolved an issue where the left hand had a strange pose when certain items were equipped.
  • The lighter animations have been properly synchronized when using a fuel bomb or a torch.
  • The painting tripod in Delisle’s room now has proper collision.
  • The big crates in Tunnels now use the correct texture.
  • Fixed the strange-looking billboard by the sign leading into the Officer Quarters.
  • Fixed a few instances where the Stalker could get stuck.
  • Activating a root power switch now retains its state when leaving and returning to a map.
  • Added a message when trying to use a medkit and bandage when your health is full.
  • Fixed a rendering issue with the wood shot impact particles.
  • The large wooden crate with rope handles can now be broken properly.
  • Grenade explosions can now affect more entities.
  • Fixed an issue where the crate blocking access to the Tunnels could get stuck.
  • Removed an invisible obstacle when entering the Arena.
  • Improved the Stalker’s animation when grabbing the player on the ladder.
  • Improved the lockbox texture. They should now be easier to spot.
  • Fixed an issue where the Stalker could start stalking the player from inside the holes before it should be able to do so.
  • Equipping a fuel canister from the inventory no longer causes it to appear in the middle of the screen for a frame.
  • Fixed an issue where shotgun ammo in the inventory didn’t register when trying to load the shotgun.
  • Fixed a couple of issues where text would be rendered outside of the screen on certain aspect ratios.
  • Fixed inconsistent behavior when breaking smaller crates.
  • Large crates and wooden doors can no longer be broken with the revolver.
  • Added a “Randomize”-button to the custom settings screen.
  • Ensured rats only gather around activated corpses.
  • Fixed an issue where the lantern would be unequipped when charging.
  • Fixed an issue where rats could fall through the floor in certain locations.
  • Sorted out some inventory and menu issues on certain aspect ratios.
  • Fixed an issue where a duplicate medkit or bandage would appear when using a health item.
  • Improved navigating the custom settings screen with a controller.
  • Fixed some smaller bugs related to the Stalker’s behavior when moving between maps.
  • Fixed an issue where a dog tag would disappear from one of the corpses in the cells in the Prison.
  • Made sure the torch has proper visual effects.
  • Fixed clipping issue when applying health items while crawling.
  • Fixed an issue where the audio would stutter.
  • Made sure the “Time Between Saves” stat works as it should.
  • Fixed an issue where the Stalker could pull the player into a hole when it shouldn’t be able to.

Note: This patch addresses the listed issues and aims to improve the overall gameplay experience in Amnesia: The Bunker. If you encounter any further problems or have additional feedback, please don’t hesitate to contact our support team here: https://frictionalgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
Enjoy!
Follow us for more info:

Frictional Games Twitter
Fan Discord

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Join Fredrik as he makes his way through an entire playthrough of Amnesia: The Bunker on Shell Shock difficulty (with some really interesting behind the scenes facts from development).

Starwars

Arcane
I tried the new mode and I actually loved it. I'm not normally a fan of "hardcore modes" but I actually thought this was really good and improved an already excellent game. Though it does change it so that you have to really be on the move in the game. A normal playthrough might be a bit more classic horror with you hiding and feeling the tension slowly rise and stuff, but for the Shell Shock stuff it's more like you're feeling like McGyver in a horror setting or something. Feels like you're very active, constantly on the move and making use of the game's mechanics.

The monster also scared the shit out of me a few times. I can't say for sure what the new settings about its unpredictability does for it exactly, but it seemed to work really well in my playthrough to keep me on my toes. One thing that happened... I'm not sure if it actually bugged out or something or if it's due to new setting but I was creeping around one area, no signs of the monster and turned a corner and it was just sitting there, completely silent (usually you hear it moving around and stuff). Was turned slightly away from me so it didn't see me right away but it gave me such a fright I had to stop playing for a bit after. I'd never seen it do that before. Usually you can tell when it's "triggered" and on the hunt so to speak.

Anyway, really enjoyed diving back in. It's such a fantastic, short game. Well worth a replay with the new mode if you haven't tried it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

The winner of the Frictional Mod Jam 2023 is “Devil’s Anvil”

There were so many great mods this year. We had so much fun playing them - each great in their own right. Thank you everyone for participating.

We appreciate all of you

Watch the three finalists showcase now!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Anyone else feel like this category was made for Amnesia: The Bunker?

The Steam Awards nomination period is here!

With Amnesia: The Bunker we wanted to design systems and gameplay that both offer something new and truly challenging to the players, which we think we achieved. If you agree we encourage you to nominate us in the “Best game you suck at” category in this year's Steam Awards!

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I bounced off the other Amnesia games, so I was pleasantly surprised to find this is very good. Much more heavy on mechanics this time and reminds me a lot of the older Penumbra games, which I thought were much better than Amnesia. I beat the game on normal and I'm now trying out some of the advanced difficulty options.

rrex000

Novice
Played though normal > hard > shell shocked. Can confidently say it ruined other horror games for me, it's that good. It is very scary. Replayability is very high. On my shell shocked run, for example, the maintenance was crawling with rats and took a long time to clear properly while the soldier's quarters had the admin door wide open, no key needed, and took no effort. The exact opposite from the hard run.

It's a horror game that would be an excellent game, even if there were no horror present, esp. on higher difficulties. Unlike TDD, where horror and atmosphere is 90% of what made it TDD. Highly recommended to anyone who likes open-ended survival games even if you don't care about horror.

The only real flaw I found was never being able to tell where exactly the Beast is by sound when he's out. He could be really far away and still sound like he's right behind you. This only becomes a problem on shell shocked, though, as you're pretty much always in the dark and he's out 90% of the time, but you can still go by light (it always flashes when he's nearby). There are some bugs (I fell through textures once, and the beast got perma-stuck once until I changed zone), but they don't ruin the experience.

I look forward to a max-difficulty run in the future (I will still allow saves with fuel, though - I don't have the endurance for a gaming all-nighter anymore, sadly).

A solid 9.5/10 for me

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

We found this old video that we used for showcasing Amnesia: The Bunker to external partners in February 2022.

Crazy to think it was less than a year after the idea for the game was even pitched.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom