Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An Arcanum mod that cuts out the uninspired combat parts?

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
:P

I'm not defending Skyrim, I'm pointing out that Arcanum has its own stupid shit. Some of it's great, like having your dirty gnome make guns out of shit you find in trash cans, and other parts suck, like how hurt is cheat mode and makes the game feel a lot less believable (just like being arch-mage of something without being a mage is stupid).

Stinger

Arcane
Bumping this thread rather than starting a new one. I fucking love Arcanum, but is there a mod that gives the player full party control? It always bugged me that the combat, fun as it was as a mage, was turn based but only let me control one guy- fully party strategy would improve the combat a lot imo.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bumping this thread rather than starting a new one. I fucking love Arcanum, but is there a mod that gives the player full party control? It always bugged me that the combat, fun as it was as a mage, was turn based but only let me control one guy- fully party strategy would improve the combat a lot imo.
No, but you can always issue attack/back off/move orders through keyboard commands.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's not like the game's challenging enough to justify needing full party control. In my last playthrough I hit the level cap before finding Nasrudin.

Harold

Arcane
It's not like the game's challenging enough to justify needing full party control. In my last playthrough I hit the level cap before finding Nasrudin.
Real men play Arcanum on hard to gain xp slower and have their skills slightly nerfed.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didn't play on hard, but I did end up using a tuxedo, monocle, and other worthless crap instead of proper equipment. And I used the shittiest non-magical weapons I could find.

Stinger

Arcane

I wanted a mod like that more for fun rather than challenge. Towards the end the game kinda abuses too much filler combat and waiting 5 minutes for every turn got tedious to the point where I just switched to real time and sat back and watched my companions just murder everything for me.

Even early on I just got the feeling that combat would be more interesting with full party control rather than controlling just the one guy. Love everything else though.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
I will really never understand the bitching about the Black Mountain mines in this game. It was one of the very few areas in a CRPG I can think of where traps were actually a potentially serious threat, meaning you at least got some use out of your disarm traps skill, and there were enemies you couldn't just powerlevel plow-through. You had to at least stop to assess the appropriate weapon to use against the Ore Golems and I think there were those fire spitting dragon dudes too that you had to be careful around lest they fuck up your armor.

On top of that Arcanum has plenty of alternate ways around things that work well; go high Cha and let your followers deal with the enemies, tell your followers to wait and stealth or invisibility your way through etc. You can go to the caves at any time really, you are not railroaded, so there is no reason to be unprepared, moreso if you know about them from earlier playthroughs. The Dredge was terrible I'll agree but that part was sort of optional and could be avoided.

I also don't get the whining about the combat system in general. It seems like there's a lot of butthurt steampunk fetishists who are ragin' that tech wasn't as strong enough as magick but then 1) it was still fun to play in my opinion and 2) should it really have been lorewise anyway? I think the issue with magick was that it should have been similarly as involved as tech, required spell reagents or something but it's not like most games have a detailed magic system, it's often just a mana bar, it's only in comparison to the tech it looks dull. Still I found as long as you don't abuse the turn-based/real-time switching the combat is fine. Way better than in Fallout or Planescape as far as the holy trinity goes at least.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
i agree wholeheartedly, especially about the Black Mountain mines. This "black mountain mines sucked!" thing has somehow developed a life of its own, without any basis in reality. The mines were neither hard nor especially annoying, don't get the bitching either.

Gord

Arcane
This "black mountain mines sucked!" thing has somehow developed a life of its own, without any basis in reality. The mines were neither hard nor especially annoying, don't get the bitching either.

Pretty similar to what happened with the Derp (look how witty I am) Roads in DA. When I first played the game I thought they would give me serious brian trauma or at least some bad headache, judging from all the bitching I read, but actually they were not noticeably different from the rest of the game.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Who cares about Black Mountain? Tarant is the greatest RPG city ever.

Johannes

Arcane
I also don't get the whining about the combat system in general. It seems like there's a lot of butthurt steampunk fetishists who are ragin' that tech wasn't as strong enough as magick but then 1) it was still fun to play in my opinion and 2) should it really have been lorewise anyway? I think the issue with magick was that it should have been similarly as involved as tech, required spell reagents or something but it's not like most games have a detailed magic system, it's often just a mana bar, it's only in comparison to the tech it looks dull. Still I found as long as you don't abuse the turn-based/real-time switching the combat is fine. Way better than in Fallout or Planescape as far as the holy trinity goes at least.
Tech was probably the most fun to play, I'll agree. At least when you fatepoint-steal a proper gun so you're not piss weak. Magic was fun too, when you used the more interesting spells than just straight damage-dealing, both in and out of combat.

Problem with the techs balance was mostly that it went totally against how all the fluff was written - tech was supposed to be easy to use, instant gratification, while magic was the slow path to power. Instead in the actual game it was quite opposite, techie/gunman starts out the weakest even if he'll catch up a bit. And as far as pure killing power is concerned, melee trumps all... And gun using enemies were mostly pathetic, since they mostly used the shitty basic guns.

Playing as a techie (shooter), once you have a non-pathetic gun, the difficulty felt about right to me. But when using magic or melee, things are way too easy (I guess if you play it on normal with a gunner, and on hard otherwise will balance that out though), which felt like a bigger problem to me. And overall while the system is fun enough if the encounter is interesting enough, most battles are against boring melee enemies who do nothing special or distinct from each other. But yeah, it's not as awful as people often make it out to be - just mediocre.

Also, loved my first try at Arcanum in the BMC - just ran past everything in the first tunnel, leaving followers behind, in realtime mode, since I couldn't figure how to properly kill the golems with. Then desperately scrounged for healing and quest clues in the lower levels, only 1 visit since I knew the only way out was with one of those escape scrolls.
Another PC with magic was much more boring to play that, since I just methodically blasted everything with harm... Which totally lacked that tension of having your escape route blocked and being against actually dangerous enemies.

hal900x

Augur
You bunch of pussies. I scour each and every passage in all the quest areas, killing every last mob...using normal TB mode. There is nothing wrong with Arcanum combat, it has limb targeting, criticals, varying action costs and all types of fuckin' blood. The animations are weak and the companion AI is lacking, but the main reason combat seems to suck is because the game succeeds so majestically in areas that most cRPGs fail miserably at. You are so busy jizzing over the C&C that the combat is a bit anticlimactic.

Harold

Arcane
Qintarra motherfuckers.
The first time I entered the tree-city with my very first Arcanum character ever (an elven mage) and that wonderful music started playing, I just came buckets.
I also think The Silver Lady >> Ravel. Problem, PSTfags?

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
What happened to all those other mods you worked on, CF?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom