Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An Open Letter to the Gaming Community from CD Projekt RED

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Obviously B.

Unfortunately, the options reflect your position that there are two different groups: paying customers and pirates, and that it doesn't matter how many copies the pirates download because they aren't paying customers. It's just not what they do, which leaves the task of generating sales - and thus responsibility for a studio's survival - solely to paying customers.

This is basically my stance, yes. At least it is true for me, and from what I saw for most of people in this region. If games weren't available for free here it is highly probable I'd have a different hobby now.
At least the industry gets some money from me now.
Don't worry, I'm planning to buy AoD, provided I live to see the Thursday and the game is good. ;)

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
IMO What is wrong in the gaming indrustry is that it seems that publishers and some developers expect every game to sell gazillion copies, no matter how much it cost to make them, and what is the target audience. In film indrustry studios make cheaper films for narrower target audience which they usually won't expect to get hundreds of millions in box office, and usually brings decent profit compared to the cost of the making the film.

Obviously, vast majority of the people who pirates games, wouldn't buy them but there are some who pirates game, tests it, if they like it, they buy it but probably not more than maybe 10-20% of the people who downloaded it.

Someone mentioned in this thread that there's piracy on consoles too, sure there is, but not nearly in the same extent as with PC games because consoles needs the mod-chip, which are not exactly cheap and can have problems of their own.

ChristofferC

Magister
Come on guys, the piracy debate is one of the the oldest and the most boring and repetitive topic on the Internet. All you see is the same old arguments over and over and over again.:deadhorse:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Here a little thought-experiment for our friends who seem to be unable or unwilling to see bigger pictures:
The average western pirate (numbers of course pulled out of my ass, but accurate numbers are pretty irrelevant here anyway):
He has 500$ disposable income per month.
He pirates 3 games, 5 movies, 5 albums per month. At 50$ per game, 15$ per movie and 15$ per album that's a total of 300$. Since he does have enough disposable income to pay for that, that constitutes "losses" of upt to 300$ for the media industry, right?
Wrong.
One shouldn't ignore what happens to the disposable income in (this imagined) reality. On average a normal westener saves 10% of his disposable income and spends the rest (Read that figure last week. Seems realistical. Even if it's wrong, savings usually get spent at some point, for houses, cars, healthcare, etc. Apart from the "1%" people rarely inherit 10% of the lifetime average disposable income of their parents. But I'm getting carried away.) So lets say 450$ of the 500$ actually do get spent.
Surveys say that the average pirate consumes lots of media, lots for which he actually does pay (and I know no pirate who doesn't buy media). So for our experiment our imaginary pirate buys 1 game, 2 movies and 1 album per month. 95$ spent on media, the rest 355$ he spends on booze and hookers or other luxury articles.
The point is, even if piracy were magically removed from the picture, and even if that lead to more sales of previously pirated games, the disposable income wouldn't rise, it'd still be 500$.
Lets say he spends 150$ on media once piracy is no option anymore. That'd be an increase of 55$ per month for the media-industry. It'd also be a loss of 55$ per month for other industries. In this joking example the poor hookers (they are only trying to feed their family) and the booze industry (they only try to make people happy).

Pirates need to be made aware that their choices of what to spend money on affect their options in the future. (Far more important and probably far more effective than trying to villify them.) But when it's a simple choice between EA gets my money for some shitty 10 hour long over-the-hip-shooter or some hooker gets my money for a blowjob I don't see why I should side with EA.

EDIT: :deadhorse: *g*

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Basically, there are two kinds of people:
Those with foresight that plan for the long term gain, and those that enjoy short term, immediate gratification. A lot of things in life cater to either one or the other: movies, games, music.

dead_horse.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom