Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An RPG based on the Russian revolution or the french revolution could be a good idea

• Thread starter Duralux for Durabux
  • Start date

Is it a good idea?

• Good Idea

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Sounds good on paper but it will be shit

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

RickOmbo

Learned
What kind of communist are you?

Vatnik Wumao
What type of communist are you?
Non-sectarian Marxist-Leninist.
You know that they say about bratstvo i jedinstvo... :M
Stari, sad se vidi, sad se vraca
S' kim ste htjeli da budete braca
Zajebo vas Tito i partija cijela
Sloboda ocigledno nije umjela da pjeva
Pa jel to znaci da sam ja ceo zivot bio budala koji je radio stalno protiv svojih principa, da sam bio stalno na suprotnoj strani? Pa sta je trebalo da vicem?! Ziveo kapitalizam?! Slusaj ti, Staljin vas je ubijao ali vas nije ubijao dovoljno. Ja sam njegovu sliku drzao kao ikonu pet godina, i drzacu je ponovo. Necete vi dobiti dokle god sam ja ziv!
ilija_cvorovic_3.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Even if you're talking about just mental attributes, strength and courage seem really similiar.
I'm going to focus on the French Revolution. The Russian Revolution, while similiarly interesting, features a ton of those pesky things we like to call semi-automatics. Those make combat quick and painful. And unlike the French Revolution is a tale where no one likes the ending.
The French Revolution seems like a classic RPG plot. You have the monarchy and the rebels, who each embody a certain characteristic that can function as an extreme on an alignment scale. Traditionalist vs. Liberty. This works with all those pesky morally grey settings that people love so much. They're also issues we're still divided over today. This setting is also convenient because you can't really take a neutral option. You're either a royalist or a rebel. No bland middle of the road option for the fencesitters.
Its also near the beginning of relatively modern warfare. Instead of crossbows and bows, there is the gun. Multiple shot pistols are still relatively rare, as are rifles. And as weapons are muskets, which require intensive reloading, we need a sidearm. Thus swords. There's not really any pesky armor to deal with, so everything is like and airy. Like a swashbuckling game.
Wait a minute, this is just that Pirates of the Carribean game, except set in France.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Ah, so both of you like Germans? :M
59de276415e9f954fb3d12fa.png

Yermolov might be ethnic Russian though.

The most funny thing about communists is they are immediately go nazi when talking about Russian Empire.
Nah, I was responding in turn to the jovial accusation that the Russians I like weren't truly Russian. :M

And FYI, I fully acknowledge the progressive, civilizing role played by the Russian Empire through its expansion in less developed (materially & culturally) regions.

Zer0wing

Cipher
French and Russian history has the best potential for dramatic script filled with action and heavy C&C.

Can be good if written and produced by ubiased people who won't shit into design docs with whining about the russia/france that they lost and the ill fate of Ludovic XVI or Nikolas II: the doormat.
Isn’t Disco lightly based on Russian revolutionary history?
Disco depitcs failed revolution so no.
Well yes, but actually no.
You like occupants of german origin.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it could be interesting for RPGs developers to dig into that period . Imagine a game in which You, the character has the ability to lead the revolution or to be part of the monarchy or take the throne or even have the ability to create an autoritian state and rule it or the rulor of the so-called Terror. At first you start as a nobody, a typical peasant but later on you become someone , you start something that gains a lot and with money, you can go far.
You can also be an hidden murderer and all kind of things.
Imagine a game in which you have a deep implication in the history.
Let's say the developers make the character creation with such attributes below:
- Courage: Your ability to make deep choices that change the history
- Speech : Your ability to speak to the crowd and people
-Will: Your enthusiasm and your ability to indoctrinate people or to be a demagogue
-Strengh: Has a strong influence on how people reacts to you -> typically a weakling can't make certain choices
-Intelligence: Determines how you will manage the situation in your flavor.
All types of ending could correspond on how long you go far and on your choices.
Also don't forget skills influenced by attributes a la Fallout:
-> Trading
-> Convince
-> lockpicking
->other skills I don't think of.
On paper, what do you think? Is it a good idea or not?

doyouevenlift.png
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-20th-century-early-access-in-q3-2020.133347/

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah I want RPG in the Russian revolution. But instead of the revolutionaries, I want to be part of the Romanov dynasty and romances & saves Anastasia ehem crush the communist scum. Yes, definitely for crushing the communist.

Erebus

Arcane
The two Revolutions (and their aftermaths) could be an excellent inspiration for a CRPG.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be set in the real world. In fact, it could be interesting to set it in an apparently generic fantasy world. The "rightful king" is such a pervasive stereotype in heroic fantasy that it would be nice to have a story be about the end of a monarchy.

Alex

Arcane
Yeah I want RPG in the Russian revolution. But instead of the revolutionaries, I want to be part of the Romanov dynasty and romances & saves Anastasia ehem crush the communist scum. Yes, definitely for crushing the communist.

That is kinda obvious. When you play Dungeons & Dragons, you don't expect to play as the evil dragon (or the dungeon, for that matter). Why would you expect to play as the evil commies or jacobins then?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom