Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Ancient Domains of Mystery (ADOM) - now available on Steam and GOG

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Erm uncurse doesnt work? Because it is a normal autocursing item, quite good too (corruption is not that fast considering high damage of the weapon). Maybe You dipped weapon into potion and it got changed into raw chaos? If yes then check if there is a way to sprinkle weapon with potion, I dont remember...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Strange. Did you dip it in holy water? This should allow you to stop wielding it iirc.

edit: hm, that raw chaos idea is interesting.

Castanova

Prophet
Yeah, I dipped it into a Holy Water and it turned the Holy Water into a Potion of Raw Chaos. As far as I know, you can't uncurse it via holy water...

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well then do the dwarf quest for the potion of literacy and uncurse it with scrolls. Or pray when satiated, full hp and mana, maybe divine intervention can save You. Dont remember if gods remove curses, but be sure to be naked just in case...

Elwro

Arcane
This is risking your char's life, but how about dipping the sickle in the potion of raw chaos? (If it works, you'll lose the sickle!) Fun, but dangerous. Warning: I don't remember if this works on artifacts.

One option is to eat a corpse of a literate opponent. (Dark sages work; I think the dark elf summoners work, too... be wary about sickness / poisoning.) Or try to do the dwarf's first quest. (Don't ask.) Then get a scroll of uncursing. (Bless it.)

Castanova

Prophet
Hah, this Barb finally met his end but after a valiant effort. My quest target was a Ghost so I was running around the Big Room grinding through enemies. The downside was that I was getting corrupted from the Moon Sickle out the ass and finally got my first corruption: teleportitis and I didn't have control.

Finally killed a Ghost, got Literacy, read a blessed uncursing scroll, got rid of the damn Moon Sickle. Then I went and grinded the ID for blink dogs, got teleport control, and suddenly felt good about myself.

On my way to the DDL to get the Teleport wand, I decided to hit the Graveyard and do that quest. Why not? I stripped down and dropped all my items which turned out to be too conservative as a Ghul paralyzed me while I was naked and killed me!

Oh, well. My archer is still alive. Time to go back to him!

spectre

Arcane
For future reference, you could have let a duelist or a ratling warlord disarm it off your hands, unless you have godly weapon proficiency, that is.

Castanova

Prophet
Thanks, yeah. I was in the Big Room looking for either my quest target OR a ratling duelist but the Ghost came first.

On another note, the alignment system is somewhat of a bitch in this game. I'm starting to think it's best to make sure you're Lawful when you enter Dwarftown because, at least, you can always get back to Lawful via the Amulet of Order.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Actually I find being neutral much better first time in Dwarftown, if You know what I mean. More rewarding. Unless You specialize in axes, but still the prize is too great to miss.

BTW ghouls are extremely dangerous in the beginning I cant even begin to imagine why did You strip naked, especially in the greaveyard which is filled with monsters (and treasure too).

Castanova

Prophet
Hm, that's true about the neutral thing. Forgot about that.

I wasn't naked in the Graveyard itself. I cleared that out and then got naked for the second level because I didn't have Detect Traps and I didn't want all my stuff to get destroyed. I suppose I could have trained up Pickpocketing and gotten Detect Traps from the Thieves Guild, though, right?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Blink dogs are not high level monsters nor are they very rare. And You can also dig those walls, no problem there - wand of destruction works, but that is quite a rare drop. Dont know about normal digging.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
On the other hand they can fuck your alignment real good if you can't control their summoning, and they do get fairly strong after you've killed enough of them- characters without food preservation will likely need to kill a LOT and then eat the corpse in front of them so it doesn't rot before they can leave the level.

Castanova

Prophet
Is there any place with either a guaranteed or likely longbow? My bow got blown up in a trap and I've been using a crossbow instead but I ran out of quarrels. Now I'm in the glorious position of having 100+ arrows with no bow and zero quarrels with a crossbow!

I thought about fletching some quarrels but I don't have a hatchet and for some reason my Fletchery skill seems to be maxed out at like 60-something.

My Archer is still alive for now. Completed 19 arena fights and the second Thrundarr quest. I want to go back and kill Keethrax for Herbalism but I don't have a friggin longbow!

desocupado

Magister
Fuck, after more than 50 wizards, I give up on this game. Highest I reached was level 9.

Fuck my last one was doing fine, then I stepped on a trap which threw pit vipers at me, I killed them all, but the goddamn poison killed me.

Shit like that, or sickness. Or exploding doors. Tension rooms, I learned how to deal with, but sickness, poison, traps, that's...

Oh, and I love how the game gives you two tomes, and sometimes they are magic missile and some other useless shit, like light. Frost/fire bolts are fine, but magic missile is useless. Orcs and goblins sometimes take more than one missile to die.

Bah, I will probably try again later this week.

desocupado

Magister
I like wizards :(

Seriously, I like to use spells and stuff, it gives me the feeling I'm doing more than just going around clicking (pressing the direction keys) stuff until they die. Is there a middle class between a wizard and a knight or something?

Damned Registrations

Priests get a ton of spells too, and are more likely to have spells like healing and such.

As for in between, theres paladins and bards. Bards get random skills, so sometimes it's awesome (healing/herbalism/detect traps/concetration/dodge/awesomeness) other times it's crap (bridge building/fletchery/gardening/ toe stubbing)

Bards get shit for equipment though, while paladins start out with very nice armor.

Elementalists don't need tomes to cast elemental spells, but they gain them by levelling, so if you use the spells on small fry you'll have none left for the tough shit and be screwed.

Seriously though, try an archer. They'll mow everything down without even trying.

Zomg

Arbiter
If you play long enough pit vipers will start being the main thing that kills your characters. The only good ways to manage the risk of them require a superhuman degree of cautious behavior even in terms of roguelikes.

spectre

Arcane
Castanova said:
Is there any place with either a guaranteed or likely longbow?

Longbows are quite rare. If you can make do with a shortbow, roam the plains until you find a buch of barbarians to assrape. First, switch to coward and milk some arrows off them, then kill them all and you may get lucky.
Also, kobolds can drop shortbows from time to time.

Although I owuld advise to take your time and train the crossbow up a bit. IF you happen to find some nice slaying quarrels, it will be a boon.

@desocupado
If you have a hard on for spells, I would suggest a priest, too.
As far as "middle classes" are concerned, try anything with high learning and mana, that has the concentration skil.

Magic missle looks deceptively weak, but in fact it is the only spell that can damage some 'immune to all' monsters. You need a bit of patience and a lot of proficiency in it, though.

If you are having problems with sickness and poison, try and play a healer, they get nice skills (concentration included iirc), and recover pretty quickly.
Otherwise, if you don't have the Healing skill, get it asap. Also, remember that you can use First aid to lessen the effects of poison & sickness a bit.

Of course, rule #1 for such cases should be - if you see something killing you repeatedly, just run for it or kill it at a distance. If you start getting surrounded, use 'T' to change tactics to coward. While on coward, it also has a nice effect of making you run away faster if your hp are below 1/3.

Now, if you DO get poisoned or sick, from my experience, it is best to lock yourself up in a room (or in the wilderness) and walk it off, sickness seldom kills (just lowerst stats and halves HP, which is the true danger Best avoid combat at this point), and poison is more dangerous (especially if the enemy got a critical which lowered your hp considerably). Take note that you can get poison reistance by eating spider corpses.

Later in the game, when you stock up on healing herbs and potions you'll find that it is a non-issue.

Elwro

Arcane
desocupado said:
Frost/fire bolts are fine, but magic missile is useless. Orcs and goblins sometimes take more than one missile to die.
Magic missile, when trained high enough, can be very valuable In the mid-game. No monster is resistant to it, while many shrug off bolts.

Also, as a wizard, remember you can wield two shields.

Pit vipers stop being a problem when you are poison resistant. Simply eat a spider corpse. That shouldn't be a problem since you in general meet a lot of spiders. (Of course, it poisons you apart from giving the resistance :))

@Damnedregistrations: try a bard with the Heir talent. You might be surprised at the item you will get.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I will repeat what others said: Magic Missile is AWESOME spell, albeit a late game one. Before You say WHA? let me explain. Magic Missile gets awesome range and quite nice damage with levels, it is also extremely cheap to cast (3-4 PP). With enough bouncing You are going to inflict massive pain on Your enemies. I use MM to kill named greater wyrms, mainly greater karmic wyrms which are immune to everything but MM (raping a tension room full of named greater karmic wyrms gives quite few levels...).

To avoid trapped doors open them not directly but from the side, most traps attack only in straight line (blinding, explosions). Other traps are paine arly and not really avoidable unfortunately.

And yes, no guaranteed bows. One can get artifact ones from crowning but that is quite late. One more reason to focus on mellee, plenty of guaranteed artofacts there.

Sickness is easily avoided by knowing which corpses to eat (pro tip: dont eat anything You wouldnt eat in indian village). Poison is harder but You should avoid being hit as a wizard anyway so simply take some speed talents and run away, dont enter webs etc. And herbs cure both, wizards start with herbalism IIRC.

Elwro

Arcane
I sad "mid-game" regarding the utility of MM, because later on I find the ball spells to be more efficient. But still, point taken, MM is absolutely wonderful for creatures immune to most effects.

Gerrard

Arcane
Encounter with Kranach, I could just hear Yakety Sax playing in my head.
Playing a monk. Why was I running away? Well, because I had equipped gauntlets. Of peace.

Code:
................................................................................
................................................................................
........../........................................./.../../../..../............
...............................................................//..//...........
..../......................................................//.......//..........
............./...}/................../................../............./.........
..../............................................................./...//........
...................................../..../............../........./..../.......
................/......................../......................................
.......................................@............................./../.......
..../.................................../............./..............././.......
......................................../............/..........................
..../.................................../.........../...........................
...................................../................................../.......
......../.............................................................../.......
......................./.................../.}/../..............................
............................................/}......................../.........
........//..///../..///././....../..//...../../........./.../...................
Killed them all in the end though. :smug:

To avoid trapped doors open them not directly but from the side, most traps attack only in straight line (blinding, explosions). Other traps are paine arly and not really avoidable unfortunately.
Always carry a wand of knocking with you if you don't know the spell, since it bypasses everything.

Damned Registrations

That's only helpful if you can detect the traps. Otherwise you'd blow through a wand in a single level opening every door you find.

There is a nice trick for detecting door traps though: trapped doors give a slightly different message when kicked. Of course, actually having trap detection or a set of blessed keys is much more preferable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom