Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ancient lizard civilization in RPGs?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The earliest famous example seems to be the warhammer one.
Well there is an earlier examples like Lovecraft. Warhammer and D&D may have repopularised it in nerd culture,but i don't know if they had that effect outside of it. Also i believe that lizards were added in later expansions of the lore in both P&P games,but i could be mistaken,my P&P knowledge is limited.

I think one of the factors is also the real history of the world. People generally look at prehistoric earth as a place of dinosaurs and lizards before they were wiped out.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

mondblut

Arcane
Weren't the Lizard Men in D&D some sort of remnant of a fallen civilization? That's the first time I can remeber lizard people being part of ancient lore in a game.

In Forgotten Realms, the most ancient of "creator races" are the serpentine sarrukh, yes.
Was it in the original lore or did it came with this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_Kingdoms

The details used now are fairly late stuff, but "The savage frontier" accessory has mentioned "the “Days of Thunder” when cruel lizard, amphibian, and avian peoples tamed the mighty dinosaurs, built towering cities of stone and glass on the shores of the warm seas and spanned the wilderness with shining roads" as early as 1988.

Morkar Left

Guys, Forgotten Realms, D&D or whatever had just adoptions from the original fantasy sources to pnp rpgs. And from there swept ofc over to crpgs. "Mystery" solved.
You can just name some games where lizard men occur and from there picking the oldest game. But it's kind of pointless for me because they are all inspired from the original sources anyway.

Lizard Men from Howard

laclongquan

Arcane
It's easy to think of an lizard empire from antiquity. Dinosaur ages ensure that.

It's extremely hard to build a good framework for lizard civilization though, because we have no model to build upon.

The most basic foundation of a civilization is food production and how the hell are you going to think of that for lizards?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Guys, Forgotten Realms, D&D or whatever had just adoptions from the original fantasy sources to pnp rpgs. And from there swept ofc over to crpgs. "Mystery" solved.
You can just name some games where lizard men occur and from there picking the oldest game. But it's kind of pointless for me because they are all inspired from the original sources anyway.

Lizard Men from Howard
:nocountryforshitposters:
Which was inspired by Lovecraft,thus not an original source. About the P&P games adopting shit from older books and ancient myths,i do agree.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The earliest famous example seems to be the warhammer one.
Well there is an earlier examples like Lovecraft. Warhammer and D&D may have repopularised it in nerd culture,but i don't know if they had that effect outside of it. Also i believe that lizards were added in later expansions of the lore in both P&P games,but i could be mistaken,my P&P knowledge is limited.

I think one of the factors is also the real history of the world. People generally look at prehistoric earth as a place of dinosaurs and lizards before they were wiped out.
Ahh that is more of a modern view of people,but i do agree. It is easy to say "it makes sense" with our modern knowledge.

Morkar Left

Lizard Men from Howard
Which was inspired by Lovecraft,thus not an original source. About the P&P games adopting shit from older books and ancient myths,i do agree.

Lin Carter and Clark Ashton Smith adapted the race for inclusion in the Cthulhu Mythos, inspired by H. P. Lovecraft's short story "The Nameless City", which refers to an Arabian city built by a pre-human reptilian race. Lovecraft's story "The Haunter of the Dark" explicitly mentions the "serpent men of Valusia" as being one-time possessors of the Shining Trapezohedron. However, the Cthulhu Mythos was already connected to the works of Robert E. Howard (a contemporary and correspondent of H. P. Lovecraft as well as a direct contributor to the Mythos itself). In this case, the Serpent Men were created for the very first Kull story. The character of Kull later made an appearance in a Bran Mak Morn story, Kings of the Night, while in another such story, "Worms of the Earth", Bran Mak Morn explicitly refers to Cthulhu and R'lyeh. Many Conan stories written by Howard are also part of the Mythos.

Falksi

Arcane
Like most good things in the world, they of course came from Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

buck-rogers-countdown-to-doomsday-08.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Lizard Men from Howard

Lin Carter and Clark Ashton Smith adapted the race for inclusion in the Cthulhu Mythos, inspired by H. P. Lovecraft's short story "The Nameless City", which refers to an Arabian city built by a pre-human reptilian race. Lovecraft's story "The Haunter of the Dark" explicitly mentions the "serpent men of Valusia" as being one-time possessors of the Shining Trapezohedron. However, the Cthulhu Mythos was already connected to the works of Robert E. Howard (a contemporary and correspondent of H. P. Lovecraft as well as a direct contributor to the Mythos itself). In this case, the Serpent Men were created for the very first Kull story. The character of Kull later made an appearance in a Bran Mak Morn story, Kings of the Night, while in another such story, "Worms of the Earth", Bran Mak Morn explicitly refers to Cthulhu and R'lyeh. Many Conan stories written by Howard are also part of the Mythos.
"Serpent Men" was written 8 years after "The nameless city",which was influenced by "the lost world" by Conan Doyle,written in 1912. The Cthulhu Mythos was compiled on a later date,1928.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I feel like the trope is more there being an ancient civilization than it necessarily being populated by Lizardmen. It can be ancient Men, Giants, elves, lizardmen, aliens or what have you.

I thought it was because reptiles look "alien" enough while still being from the same planet (an alternative being bug people), but the "creepy old serpent cults except the worshippers are literally serpents" aspect is probably right.

Morkar Left

Lizard Men from Howard

"Serpent Men" was written 8 years after "The nameless city",which was influenced by "the lost world" by Conan Doyle,written in 1912. The Cthulhu Mythos was compiled on a later date,1928.

Serpent Men are a fictional race created by Robert E. Howard for his King Kull tales. They first appeared in "The Shadow Kingdom," published in Weird Tales in August 1929.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I think Lost World has got something to do with the propogation of the myth.

If I remember right Tolkien found a dinosaur bone down near white cliffs when he were a lad inspiring Smaug, still fairly common to stumble upon em there, guess they are in lots of other places an all.

Ophidians of Serpent Island stand out to me, though just influenced by reptiles and not Lizardmen. Do the Gargoyles count?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah,i got thinking about it and remembered about Lovecraft's "The nameless city". From what i read on the wiki his inspirations about the lizard people came from some critique.
A lot of pseudo-science from the age posited the existence of non-human (or superhuman) lost civilisations hidden under the surface of the Earth, in the high mountains, or otherwise hidden from man's sight. Same pool of ideas Indiana Jones draws from - it was in the air. The Nameless City (1921) is one originator, but Abraham Merritt's Face in the Abyss (1923/1931) is closer to the modern idea of a lost lizardman civilisation, complete with a "lost Inca valley", primitive tribesmen, a benevolent snake-woman goddess, and a honest-to-goodness D&D-style megadungeon. Here is Merritt's description of a lizardman encounter:
The taint in the air grew stronger. The number of the cave mouths increased. The burro began to show nervousness, halting and sniffing.

The canyon made another of its abrupt turns. From beyond the angle that hid the way from Graydon there came an appalling outburst of hissings and gruntings. At the same time gusts of the musky stench smote his nostrils, nauseating him. The burro stood stock-still.

He heard the cries of men. He sprang forward; turned the comer. Just ahead of him were three Indians like the one who had led him to the frontier of the Forbidden Land, but in yellow instead of blue. Circling them, tearing at them with fangs and claws, were a score or more of creatures which at first glance he took for giant lizards. And at second, realized that they were, if not men, at least semi-human.

The things stood a little over four feet high. Their leathery skins were a dirty yellow. They balanced themselves upon squat, stocky legs whose feet were like paws, flat and taloned. Their arms were short and muscular. Their hands were pads, duplicates almost of their feet, but with longer claws.

It was their faces that chilled Graydon's blood. There was no mistaking the human element in them. They were man and lizard inextricably, inexplicably, mingled—as man and spider had been mingled in the scarlet thing Suarra had named the Weaver.

Beyond their narrow, pointed foreheads their heads were covered with scarlet scales which stood upright like multiple cockscombs. Their eyes were red, round and unwinking. Their noses were flat, but under them their jaws extended in a broad six-inch snout armed with yellow fangs, strong and cruel as a crocodile's. They had no chins, and only rudiments of ears.

What sickened him most was that around their loins were filthy strips of cloth.

The three Indians stood back to back in a triangle, battering at the lizard-men with maul-headed clubs of some shining metal. That they had given good account of themselves a half dozen of the creatures, heads crushed in, gave proof. But now in rapid succession first one Indian and then a second was pulled to the ground and hidden by the loathsome bodies.

Graydon threw off his paralysis and shouted to the remaining Indian.

He raised his rifle, took rapid aim, and fired. The lizard-man he had picked out staggered under the impact of the bullet, then dropped. At the report, echoing like a miniature peal of thunder from the rocky walls, the pack turned as one toward him, fanged mouths open and staring, bodies crouched, glaring at him with the unwinking red eyes.

The Indian stooped, lifted the body of one of his comrades, and sprang clear. Freed from fear of hitting him, Graydon emptied his rifle into the creatures. He rapidly reloaded his magazine. Then, as he began dropping them, they broke from their stupor, leaped for the walls, and like true lizards swarmed up the sheer faces of the cliffs. Hissing and screeching, they darted into the black mouths of the caves. They vanished into their dark depths.
Merritt was already building on a previous generation of "lost world" novels from L. Rider Haggard, Talbot Mundy, E.R. Burroughs and others; he himself went on to inspire Howard and later pulp authors

However, Merritt is in many ways "the" lost world writer, because almost all of his novels follow a similar plot about white explorers finding a secret entrance to hidden realms, and saving them from a supernatural evil menace. His books also feature intelligent non-human races prominently, which earlier lost world authors usually didn't. His best is The Dwellers in the Mirage, but The Face in the Abyss, The Moon Pool, and The Ship of Ishtar are all good. You'll also see what kind of material D&D was based on - Gary Gygax loved Merritt's books, and featured them prominently on his "Inspirational reading" list. Like Leiber's Lankhmar stories, they represent the intended tone of traditional AD&D much better than 80s-style epic high fantasy trilogies. Their prose is fairly florid (Merritt loved his otherworldly colours), but they are all page-turners, and relatively thin.

For my money, the best sssserpent-man novel is Leigh Brackett's The Sword of Rhiannon (a.k.a. Sea-Kings of Mars, 1949), which features a weird high-tech serpent-man civilisation lording over a planet of bronze age humans. That one's from later, but it would be a crime to miss, because it is real good.

Old Hans

Arcane
broke - ancient elven civilization
woke - ancient lizardman civilization

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I have noticed that quite a few games use that as a plot.
There's indeed a pattern, and several well-known games do use it. Two examples that come to mind is NWN OC and the first Drakensang...
In other words, two meh-goodish RPGs brought down by an utterly mediocre and by the numbers "save the world" plot. And why wouldn't it be that way ? A race of villains from a previous era is the epitome of laziness in world, character and plot-building : instead of emanating from the game universe, they function as a trump card, removed from all the things that make said universe living, breathing and interesting.
As for the reptilian aspect, the "wiped-out by a cataclysm primeval race" is evidently equivalent to reality's dinosaurs and thus is a very obvious (and lazy) turn of thought...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom