Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline And the Codex Bests RPGs 2022 Poll?????

S.torch

Arbiter
Is already January 19 and no poll has been made for the best RPG in 2022.

Asking because if nobody is going to do it maybe we can do it ourselves. :M

Gregz

Arcane

Asking because if nobody is going to do it maybe we can do it ourselves. :M

rusty_shackleford likes to give people time to play out their backlogs first.

Also, it is well known that since the 2019 GOTY debacle, felipepepe can no longer be trusted with this sacred charge. He throws away data he doesn't like, doctors polls, invites redditors to vote, etc.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We usually wait a while to give people time to finish the games of the previous year.

felipepepe What say you?
We could do it this weekend, but we got a lot of releases on November & December, like Pentiment, Fear & Hunger 2, Tactics Ogre: Reborn, Shadows over Loathing, Chained Echoes... I doubt most people had time to play much - I know I haven't.

Also, Vampire Survivors is listed on Steam as RPG. That will be a fun talk.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We usually wait a while to give people time to finish the games of the previous year.

felipepepe What say you?
We could do it this weekend, but we got a lot of releases on November & December, like Pentiment, Fear & Hunger 2, Tactics Ogre: Reborn, Shadows over Loathing, Chained Echoes... I doubt most people had time to play much - I know I haven't.

I don't mind waiting until the end of the month, it's your call. What you could do this weekend though is come up with the list of games. We could review it and make sure nothing is missing, as often happens.

Mortmal

Arcane

felipepepe What say you?

None going to bother with those anyway , only original thing is fear and hunger 2, hardly a rpg either its all about the atmosphere. No need of poll the only notable release were elden ring and persona 5 port.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Even the Codex doesn't consider Pentiment to be an RPG. :M

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Even the Codex doesn't consider Pentiment to be an RPG. :M

Is it even a game?

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
What RPG
There is no consensus, and so I have to ask, where is the next iteration of the "What is an RPG?" thread?

Doom is technically an RPG given what some people's definition of what an RPG is.

Why is there a definition for what a roguelike is, but nothing for RPGs?

A roguelike is a sub genre of an RPG, so it makes sense to include the entire roguelike genre under the banner of what an RPG is, but how do we reconcile all the other games counting as RPGs into a cumulative definition?

Even if you divorce the definition of an RPG from the mediums they are played on, what would a major technological leap do for RPGs? Will the definition change again?

What about card collecting games? They have elements from other RPGs within them, are they now RPGs? What elements separates each CCG from each other and how much separation changes it from an RPG into a purely CCG genre?

There is no definition for an RPG, and any definition anyone has come up with is heavily flawed. I think there needs to be a board of directors in the world that is paid to come up with a global definition of what an RPG is.

RPGs came from war sims that naval recruits came up with, but would they be considered RPGs nowadays? They would be considered "sims" instead, at least on the Steam product pages.

Stories don't make an RPG either, as early games classified as RPGs had little to no story.

So a good start at defining an RPG would be to look at how the definition changes over time and according to medium.

What about mechanics of games classified ass RPGs? These days games have vastly simplified mechanics compared to the checks and rolls AD&D 2e had, but so have RPGs that came out early because they were limited to the hardware they ran on. There was a review of an ancient PC that had a transparent piece of plastic placed on the screen and games were played on that, so if an RPG designed to be played on an ancient PC like that were to come out on Steam would people agree that it is an RPG? You can't simply say the product you are releasing is an RPG just because you said so, this isn't a choose your own gender adventure!

The next question is, how much or how little complexity defines an RPG? If all you had was one number, say HP, on the screen and a linear progression, would that count as an RPG? It could have if it were released in 1972, but not if it were released today. Today it would be classed as an indie "action adventure" game.

So we have come to at least an idea of how we can start to classify as an RPG:
* Time it was released
* Genre it was released under at that time
* Hardware limitations
* Complexity of mechanics, such as progression systems

What is an RPG?

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What RPG
There is no consensus, and so I have to ask, where is the next iteration of the "What is an RPG?" thread?

Doom is technically an RPG given what some people's definition of what an RPG is.

Why is there a definition for what a roguelike is, but nothing for RPGs?

A roguelike is a sub genre of an RPG, so it makes sense to include the entire roguelike genre under the banner of what an RPG is, but how do we reconcile all the other games counting as RPGs into a cumulative definition?

Even if you divorce the definition of an RPG from the mediums they are played on, what would a major technological leap do for RPGs? Will the definition change again?

What about card collecting games? They have elements from other RPGs within them, are they now RPGs? What elements separates each CCG from each other and how much separation changes it from an RPG into a purely CCG genre?

There is no definition for an RPG, and any definition anyone has come up with is heavily flawed. I think there needs to be a board of directors in the world that is paid to come up with a global definition of what an RPG is.

RPGs came from war sims that naval recruits came up with, but would they be considered RPGs nowadays? They would be considered "sims" instead, at least on the Steam product pages.

Stories don't make an RPG either, as early games classified as RPGs had little to no story.

So a good start at defining an RPG would be to look at how the definition changes over time and according to medium.

What about mechanics of games classified ass RPGs? These days games have vastly simplified mechanics compared to the checks and rolls AD&D 2e had, but so have RPGs that came out early because they were limited to the hardware they ran on. There was a review of an ancient PC that had a transparent piece of plastic placed on the screen and games were played on that, so if an RPG designed to be played on an ancient PC like that were to come out on Steam would people agree that it is an RPG? You can't simply say the product you are releasing is an RPG just because you said so, this isn't a choose your own gender adventure!

The next question is, how much or how little complexity defines an RPG? If all you had was one number, say HP, on the screen and a linear progression, would that count as an RPG? It could have if it were released in 1972, but not if it were released today. Today it would be classed as an indie "action adventure" game.

So we have come to at least an idea of how we can start to classify as an RPG:
* Time it was released
* Genre it was released under at that time
* Hardware limitations
* Complexity of mechanics, such as progression systems

What is an RPG?
rpg.jpg

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I think I played exactly one game from 2022, and that was Shadow Warrior 3, so no vote from me. But the poll is still useful, it shows which games I missed and which may be worth checking out in the future. Were there any noteworthy rpgs?

EDIT:
Does Destroy All Humans! 2 Remake qualify as rpg? I guess I have played 2 games from 2022 after all.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Man 2022 was an awful year for gaming
It was one of the better ones for me as I got to enjoy three great games with Ghostrunner - Project Hel, Neon White and Persona 5 Royal. Gaming has declined so much that I can usually only enjoy one game per year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom