Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

And this is why I'm looking forward to AP

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/alpha ... -1859.html
A results screen pops up – it will every time you finish a mission, and some missions are dialogue only.

More examples. Alpha Protocol employs a dossier system that enables you to gather intelligence on factions and key NPCs. As you near 100 per cent completion on these dossiers, you’ll unlock dialogue options you wouldn’t have access to otherwise. You might have the option to say something that’s personal to them – they might respect your background check, or they might hate you for touching a nerve.

Nathan spends most of his time sneaking up on enemies and using melee attacks to down them, but you’ll get experience for leaving enemies alive. This is the stealth way.

He stumbles upon a dossier on Grigori. If we were to do the dialogue mission with Grigori after this combat mission, a dossier dialogue option would have popped up.

It is at the embassy that Alpha Protocol shows just how reactive it really is. Remember when Nathan was an asshole to Grigori? Well his email warning of your presence has resulted in increased security at the embassy. There’s a hard as nails marine standing outside, ready to break necks at the slightest sign of trouble. If you’d been nice to Grigori, a lame guard would have been blocking the way. Now here’s the interesting part. You’re able to try and talk your way in, which would then align all of the marines inside with you. These marines are great allies, much better than the bog standard guards. So while it seemed at first like scaring the bejesus out of Grigori didn’t benefit you, you have the potential to turn the situation in your favour. Nice.
The preview focuses entirely on C&C. Go on and read it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So basically exactly like Mass Effect, only you get XP regardless of killing or not killing enemies. Lame. And again the only example of stealth from Nathan is "sneaking on and killing enemies". This is a stealth way :roll:
And the only consequence is more enemies at the embassy and "unlockable" dialogue options? So much for "C&C"

There’s a hard as nails marine standing outside, ready to break necks at the slightest sign of trouble. If you’d been nice to Grigori, a lame guard would have been blocking the way
No really - this is non-linearity? How Biowarian.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
So basically exactly like Mass Effect, only you get XP regardless of killing or not killing enemies. Lame. And again the only example of stealth from Nathan is "killing enemies".
And the only consequence is more enemies at the embassy and "unlockable" dialogue options? So much for "C&C"

There’s a hard as nails marine standing outside, ready to break necks at the slightest sign of trouble. If you’d been nice to Grigori, a lame guard would have been blocking the way
No really - this is non-linearity? How Biowarian.

Go fuck a goat.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
MetalCraze said:
So basically exactly like Mass Effect, only you get XP regardless of killing or not killing enemies. Lame.
This is the key to understanding the Skyway.

Starwars

Arcane
If Codexmembers were gaming companies, Skyway would be Bioware. Constantly re-releasing the same shit over and over again in a slightly different package. What few good points there may be are buried in a sea of mediocrity and boredom.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Truth butthurts I know. Kill a stronger guy or kill a weaker guy. Choices & consequences!

I'm just tired of you popping up in every thread and saying that X, Y or Z is shit because it's been done in a shitty way before or because it doesn't achieve this mithical unreacheable ideal of greatness you have in your mind as if at this point anyone still gave a shit about what you think.

Now goat. Go fuck it.

MetalCraze said:
So basically exactly like Mass Effect, only you get XP regardless of killing or not killing enemies.
So they should get xp purely from missions or is it just shit because that's your schtick?

And again the only example of stealth from Nathan is "sneaking on and killing enemies". This is a stealth way :roll:
What else is stealth? Sneaking around and knocking out enemies is practically the definition of stealth. It avoids firefights and things like that. Do you want to never encounter enemies?

More enemies is an actual consequence. Especially if you want to be stealthy, you have to deal with more people. Either way, its just one example.

But either way, its skyway which is nothing but one giant BAWWWWW over everything.

Phelot

Arcane
You know the worse part about this hype is that they spoil all the secrets! Now I know not to piss off this Grigori guy...

Rewarding XP for not killing is actually kind of cool though. Nothing terribly awesome, but hey.

I'm just not excited about a Jason Bourne video game though. Just my opinion

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
phelot said:
You know the worse part about this hype is that they spoil all the secrets! Now I know not to piss off this Grigori guy...

Rewarding XP for not killing is actually kind of cool though. Nothing terribly awesome, but hey.

I'm just not excited about a Jason Bourne video game though. Just my opinion

WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE BOY?!?!?!? IF YOU DON'T STATE WHAT YOU THINK WITH NERDRAGE AND EXTREME YOU'LL NEVER BE RESPECTED HERE!

MetalCraze

Arcane
sportforredneck said:
So they should get xp purely from missions or is it just shit because that's your schtick?
Purely for missions would be much better while not ideal. Again what's the point playing a "stealth" way when killing'em all is just as rewarding (and easier). AP is just another proof that an action game with stealth gameplay that isn't a gimmick is impossible.

What else is stealth? Sneaking around and knocking out enemies is practically the definition of stealth. It avoids firefights and things like that. Do you want to never encounter enemies?
So avoiding firefight, but killing an enemy is stealth? No stealth is sneaking in, doing what you must and sneaking out - undetected. When you leave a mountain of bodies behind you it isn't exactly stealth. When you have a magic unlockable console spell "invisibility" it is just as lame because it is ridiculous. And Obsidian calls mines - stealth objects - that tells something, yes? Don't forget about trigger scripts that tell enemies exactly where you are as soon as you "hack-that-PC".

More enemies is an actual consequence. Especially if you want to be stealthy, you have to deal with more people. Either way, its just one example.
No there were more examples - lame too. More enemies is a poor man's consequence - considering that you'll just be able to kill them all easily anyway.
How about normal consequence that actually changes something in the game, adds something, while locking something away from you? Uh but no - the messiah of RPGs - Avellone said that player won't be punished for any choice.

But either way, its skyway which is nothing but one giant BAWWWWW over everything.
I only noticed that fanoys are the ones who are bawwing - also nice how you ignored the "second" example of consequence with a guard who will simply get more HP.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Starwars said:
If Codexmembers were gaming companies, Skyway would be Bioware. Constantly re-releasing the same shit over and over again in a slightly different package. What few good points there may be are buried in a sea of mediocrity and boredom.

:lol:

I just spit coffee all over my desk. fucker. :x

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
I only noticed that fanoys are the ones who are bawwing - also nice how you ignored the "second" example of consequence with a guard who will simply get more HP.

Also nice how you ignored the other posts calling you out on the constant word vomit you throw at us. Seriously people let's stop arguing with this tool, out of the hundreds of times I've seen you debating something concerning games you just spew the same shit over and over again (cause the truth never changes right? Ok we heard the "truth" the first 8743 times we had enough now thanks) and not once did I see you change your mind about something.

That goat isn't going to fuck itself now...

fastpunk

Arbiter
OK, so this preview made a few things clearer. About the structure of the game, as well as the C&C. Seems very character driven all around, the reputation system is probably the backbone of the game, as well as the main factor in C&C. It's a cool approach, but I hope there are more dramatic consequences than having more/less enemies to face throughout missions.

Dionysus

Scholar
Well, the cinematics sound good, and it's nice to hear that there are little consequences for some of the things you do. Hopefully there will be bigger consequences at the end.

I'm not a big fan of the influence meters, though. I'd prefer it if they weren't so transparent.

KreideBein

Scholar
Stuff like this is making AP more and more attractive as a potential purchase for me. I'd just like to know how pervasive situations such as those with Grigori are; it'd be a huge disappointment if that were one of only a few such events and all other missions were entirely static, no matter the player's approach.

MetalCraze said:
Well, the cinematics sound good, and it's nice to hear that there are little consequences for some of the things you do
A key to understanding next-gen RPG fans.

I know that English isn't your native language, but attacking people based on your poor understanding of the language makes you look like even more of an ass. Unless Dionysus' knowledge of English is as bad as yours, his statement implies that he's glad that there are consequences -- even if they're relatively small -- for the player's actions.

As for the rest of your drivel, wouldn't it be expedient to simply create a thread declaring that your standards can never be met and that everything is shit? Spamming the same sentiment in every thread which you deign to contaminate is far less efficient and substantially more annoying. In short, get the fuck out of gaming discussions unless you actually have something new to say. You consistently look like a deranged Rosh imitator with delusions of insight.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hmm, english is my second language but I didn't know that RPG means interactive movie.

wouldn't it be expedient to simply create a thread declaring that your standards can never be met and that everything is shit?
Come on now, I'm sure you can do much better than "you just hate all games". I understand that when people drool all over some gimmick you like it's OK - but god forbid I'll come and criticize it even though exactly same hypocrites are bashing Bioware for the exactly same things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom