Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Anno 1800

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by vonAchdorf, Aug 22, 2017.

1. J1M Arcane

J1M
    The grid are those guides and rulers.

As mentioned in the post you quoted, my concern is about having a pleasant user interface.

^ Top  
  2. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Except you can't ignore the grid.

• (autism) (autism) x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    You sound like the one with autism.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    consider my a neophyte so the following question is genuine

would curved streets with a grid explode the game's micro

^ Top  
  5. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    the pixel hunting quests. of my fucking sweet jesus on a pogo stick, the pixel hunting quests. i would have liked to the there, at the meeting, "-yo, guys, do you know what would totally make this game totally better? totally pixel hunting! -yo bro, you're totally right! high five!". and then beat everyone to a pulp with a meat tenderizer.

anyway, even ignoring those, i gave up on this game after a couple days. it's just so damn banal and boring.

^ Top  
  6. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Pixel hunting quests were a total menace in the previous games, since they were often required even to the late game. In 1800 you can do them for some rewards but those will become mostly irrelevant from mid-game on so you don't have to bother with them.

^ Top  
  7. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Curved streets would have to be part of a complex solution. You can't just splice them on the current system.

Again, Anno isn't really a city builder, it's an economy simulator first and foremost. The streets have to be directly connected to the buildings for the trading/economy system to work. The 20 year old Anno formula would have to completely change. And yeah, it'd probably mean a huge move from micro to macro which the traditionalist fans (and there are armies of them, especially in Gaymany) would've answered with molotovs I imagine.

^ Top  
  8. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Same here, its super pretty, but zero challenge and not so much replayability either, once you have reached higher tier you dont feel like starting anew there's no different strategies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    Tropico 6 seems to have curved streets and a grid, so no.

There's really no reason for it other than accessibility. Curved streets would make efficient city layouts harder. But this is a game that expects you to hand-place 1000 trees and shrubs to incrementally make your town ever so slightly more attractive.

^ Top  
  10. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Except nothing stops you from doing grids in Tropico either. But I agree. Started playing this week and the micro that you can and are expected to do with making the city pretty with ornaments shows, to me, that the opposition between city builder and econ sim is false. Every good city builder has at least traffic as an issue to be solved and Tropico has production chains as well as the need to make your cities walkable outside of roads.

Anyways I really just popped in to say that there's something funky about maintaining my own high seas battle fleet just with the money I get from selling soap to the prison system.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Right, saying it's an economy game not a city game seems like splitting hairs, since managing your economy is an important part of city builders. Although I do admit Anno gives me a strong Factorio vibe, and that's really not a city building game by most people's account.

I guess the question is where are these city-builders with no economic mechanics?

^ Top  
  12. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Well, I dare not look into the levels of decline in the Sim City series.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If there is any meaningful difference between Anno and city builders it's that Anno doesn't rely much on city/block layouts and efficient walkers like in the Impressions Games titles. I'd say the naval stuff is more a gimmick than anything hugely defining or game changing, especially once you set up your trade routes (which you also have in the Impression games, just a bit different). I suppose the idea is to raid your opponents' trade routes and shit but I don't remember a single time I've done this.

^ Top  
  14. I haven't played the most recent entries but in multiplayer your shipping lanes are very important in the Anno games I have played.

^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Lol Eiffel Tower. Did they just steal the mod?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Angelo85 Magister Patron

Angelo85
    The game is free-to-play this weekend on Steam Epic, also discounted.
    Link

[​IMG]

• meh meh x 1
    • consume product consume product x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Jonathan "Zee Cat Liturgist

Jonathan "Zee Cat

^ Top  
  19. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Eh, by this point they're just blatantly milking this game dry with cosmetics and other cheap knick-knacks.

Stop with this retarded bullshit and give me a brand new fantasy Anno already.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jonathan "Zee Cat Liturgist

Jonathan "Zee Cat
    Also anyone not being able to build the new elevator factory? For me i click to build but no building appears.

^ Top  
  21. Olinser Savant

Olinser
    I mean they kind of have to. They jumped on the Epic Shitsclusive train and now they're stuck.

• what? what? x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    What are you talking about? Anno is a Ubisoft game, it was never an Epic exclusive.

Also what does Epic have to do with anything here?

^ Top  
  23. Olinser Savant

Olinser
    Wow, people have short memories.

First, nobody gives 2 shits about the Ubistore or whatever the hell they call their spyware system.

They took pre-orders of 1800 on Steam, then publicly took a bribe to make it Shitsclusive and removed ability to purchase from Steam immediately after release. It's 'available' only in the sense that IF you bought it at release you can play a totally unsupported and bugged version on Steam.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    You ARE aware all Ubi games still require you to install and use uPlay even tho you buy them on Steam?

^ Top  
  25. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    [​IMG]

• Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.