Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Anno 2070 demo is out

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by made, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Paperclip Liturgist

Paperclip
    Another question, what kind of effect does pollution bring to the gameplay/gameworld?

^ Top  
  2. Satan Educated

Satan
    You don't actually see much of the gameplay in the demo. It's just two little training missions with very few buildings.

^ Top  
  3. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
  4. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    In the demo, I didn't reach much pollution, but the little I got allegedly lowered the crop fertility.

^ Top  
  5. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Also the demo didn't seem to have save/load option

Knowing that this is Ubisoft... Permaonline DRM?

^ Top  
  6. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Based on the interview the devs did with RPS here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10 ... anno-2070/ the only DRM is an activation check.

They might've just disabled it because the demo is short as fuck and they didn't see the need, although that sounds like a lot of work for no gain.

^ Top  
  7. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Activation only DRM I can live with as long as they are not limited and no stupid shit like the online check every time the game is launched.

Will check the "demo" first, if I'll like it I'll most likely buy it.
    Demo didn't show to me what I really wanted to see

^ Top  
  8. BvG Novice

BvG
    Anno 2070 is supposedly coming out in 2 days. Yet, there's no preview/review push on the publishers PR outlets (better known as 'Gaming News' sites), and none of the usual adverspaming seems to be happening. I'm a bit perplexed at that.

It seems Dawn of Discovery / ANNO 1404 and the expansion was removed from both the Steam Store as well as Impulse last spring, maybe that has to do with this?

^ Top  
  9. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Nobody is going to advertise a non-shooter game that requires at least 2 braincells.

Retards won't buy the game regardless and the rest doesn't read Gamespot and IGN.

^ Top  
  10. CrimsonAngel Prophet

CrimsonAngel
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    People who are going to buy a game like this already know about it and if you are outside the EU there is little point in putting money in banners for it.

^ Top  
  11. Paperclip Liturgist

Paperclip
    So... has anybody played the full version already?

^ Top  
  12. made Arcane

made
    No crack = nobody on the Codex has played it.

^ Top  
  13. Satan Educated

Satan
    I'll buy it next week and probably play during the next weekend.

^ Top  
  14. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    It's so sad that it's true. Maybe they are all busy playing Skyrim which they bought through Steam?

^ Top  
  15. CrimsonAngel Prophet

CrimsonAngel
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I did buy it.

It is as good if not better then 1440

^ Top  
  16. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    I've finished the campaign and one scenario.

And yeah, it's basically anno 1404 except with 3 factions instead of 2 and energy/pollution mechanics. The underwater stuff isn't as cool as it might seem, as there's almost nothing to do there.

There's also a fairly bulky and dumb research tree that gives you a bunch of bonuses randomly that you can't even fit because you only get 3 slots.

There's some metagame progression stuff, but it basically doesn't matter that much. There's also a global voting system that then lets you purchase bonuses from certain sets.

DRM wise, there's a one-time activation, and the game encourages playing online, and I haven't actually tried offline yet to see what changes.

So yeah, I'd say its better than 1404 all told.

^ Top  
  17. made Arcane

made
    Tell me more about the pollution/disasters mechanics. The demo, for example, has a dam break and flood the island which you then have to evacuate and patch up with sandbags - is that stuff just scripted in the campaign missions or is it an integral gameplay element which you have to plan around?

^ Top  
  18. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    That's scripted. Disasters seem to only be of the fire/plague/crime kind.

As for pollution, it is quite simple I suppose. A negative rating will decrease the efficiency of all your plantations if you play the tycoons, and that's about it, although if it gets truly abysmal, citizens get unhappy and pay less taxes. As ecos, a negative rating still decreases plantation efficiency, but also always lowers contentedness. Ecos can also get a positive rating, which boosts efficiency and contentedness(which leads to more taxes).

Where it really matters is when your city starts getting a big size and adding more production to fill their needs becomes difficult because the negative impact from pollution is harming it so much. So you try to fix that, which costs more resources, and power, and to fix that you need supplies and it also hurts the pollution rating. It's somewhat interesting to balance the three. You can of course settle on another island to try and ignore the negative pollution on your home, but that carries some fairly expensive maintenance costs, not to mention logistical issues.

^ Top  
  19. CrimsonAngel Prophet

CrimsonAngel
    AND then you also have to transport goods around and a good attack can cut of supplies.

Both sides have good and bad.

Eco's have a easier time to keeping the pollution low and keep your citys clean and get a lot of clean tech energy and anti pollution buildings.
    There issues comes from them being inefficient as hell meaning they take longer do every thing and you tend to have a higher maintenance cost.

Tycoons are more efficient and can do more with less then ECO's can, but with the growth in Pollution your Food Production can turn bad FAST and your Population will be unhappy.

There are more to it then that and ways around things with it's own problems.

^ Top  
  20. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    The game's pretty big in Germany, so it got a lot of attention there (and raving reviews).

In the Kwa, they rather play Moderne Kriegsf├╝hrung 3.

^ Top  
  21. made Arcane

made
    That's because the German takes delight in creating and shaping things of greatness whereas the Amerikan, by his nature, can only kill and destroy.

^ Top  
  22. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  23. trym88 Scholar

trym88
    crack is out folks, just sayin...

^ Top  
  24. Satan Educated

Satan
    i bought the game already, but i don't have enough time to install and play it... i just play garry's mod in short sessions now. perhaps next weekend... i hope

^ Top  
  25. J1M Arcane

J1M
    I loved Anno 1404. Played it for something like 60 hours and had a ton of fun all the way through except for that one campaign mission with a lot of combat.

Anno 2070 sucks.

Whereas in 1404 things were iconic and pleasant to look at, 2070 tries to be very realistic, to the point where it is hard to tell the difference between an eco shack and a tycoon shack. Or what the fuck an icon means. Even the trees are brown. Maybe the devs only have small monitors to test on, but the default font size is way too tiny for everything. I'm not asking for DX2 console derp but something bigger than 6pt should have been obvious.

Also, the idea that I must build an automated coal factory in order to tech up to a lumber mill makes no sense.

I was very excited for a new Anno game, but I cannot stand the absolutely retarded dialog, interface, and objectives. Example: second campaign map: "you get to choose which side you will work with". Oh, really? 5 minutes ago I was an employee of super mega corp. When did I get fired and left in command of a super submarine?

Why does everyone keep telling me that I'm a super awesome helpful important person when my only apparent skill is the ability to drive a boat in the direction that I am asked by anyone and everyone? The game design is fixated on, and bombards you with, quests. The characters even call it a quest when they ask you to build them 6 houses. Anno is not about quests. The fantasy is not derived from being a UPS employee! It's supposed to be about being the governor of a colony. Give me a task, if I'm short on a resource I'll figure it out.

I've stopped playing it. Maybe I will go and replay 1404 instead after I finish Batman.

I think the past works as a better setting than the present with this sort of game. When I have a house upgrade and see nobles move in, I don't wonder where the Walmart they got all their things from is. The future can clearly work too, but pull an Alpha Centauri and set it on a new planet or far enough in the future that the resources and supply chain can be arbitrary and interesting.

Hopefully the next Anno game will be set in the Victorian era or something more interesting. My vote would be for the Stone Age. Anno 4000 BC :D

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.