Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANNO 2205 - bam zoom straight to the Moon

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Literally the only thing I could get moderately excited about among all the visceral akshun tripe on 2015 E3.

Played previous two ANNOs to the ground. Great builders. Dis gun be sweeat.

Disgruntled

Savant
Anno is great, probably my favorite city builder since Simcity 4. Im a bit weary though as far as replaying the same game again under a different skin.
2070 felt a lot like 1440 but with more assets, Id like them to go further with gameplay innovations. Already that moon thing looks too much like the underwater addon, exotic desert addon from the last 2 games.

potatojohn

Arcane
So the recent Annos weren't disasters? Because I just looked at those fuzzy, bloom-filled screenshots and ignored it.

made

Arcane
2070 was pretty good, added a few neat mechanics to keep the old formula fresh without trying to reinvent the wheel. I expect pretty much the same from this. In the day of reboots and cinematic reinventions, more of the same can actually be just right.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So presumably, this is just 2070 but with moon instead of underwater. Some of the moon assets even look suspiciously similar to underwater ones if you ask me.

Not sure if it will be cool, but time will tell.

Unwanted

Fitz

Unwanted
Well, it looks sort of interesting, tho an Anno game set entirely on Mars rather than halfassed the moon would have given me a stiffy. Shame it will probably be as online centric if not more so than the previous game and most definitely require uplay, otherwise I just might have bought it on release. Why they don't junk uplay already is beyond me, it's like wallet repellent for me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, it looks sort of interesting, tho an Anno game set entirely on Mars rather than halfassed the moon would have given me a stiffy. Shame it will probably be as online centric if not more so than the previous game and most definitely require uplay, otherwise I just might have bought it on release. Why they don't junk uplay already is beyond me, it's like wallet repellent for me.

Yeah, Mars ANNO would've been fucking awesome.

As for uPlay, didn't bother me in ANNO 2070 at all, hardly noticed it. Far as I remember you don't actually need it, it just add some minor features in the sandbox mode.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So the recent Annos weren't disasters? Because I just looked at those fuzzy, bloom-filled screenshots and ignored it.
No offense but it is pretty stupid to ignore the games just becuse the overuse of bloom. You could turn that off, and the gameplay was great.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I am not sure Mars Anno would work, since the basic gameplay relies a lot upon discrete islands. Still, some kind of moon/asteroid anno would be cool, especially if they made the rocks actually fold around like spheres.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Looks promising but I'm not going to infect my computer with ubi spyware and god knows what other DRM (previous ANNO games came with TAGES).

Last edited:

made

Arcane
Exclusive preview in upcoming Germstar:
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/anno-2205/artikel/anno_2205,52423,3087091,2.html

Some tidbits:

-instead of campaign/custom game modes, there'll be what sounds like Sim City 2k-like regions that interact with each other and have their local optional quests, race to the moon being the overall global goal
-no more AI competition on the same map, enemy corps have their separate regions, armed conflict presumably confined to special battle zones
-overhauled production system (can place any factory anywhere, no more warehouses, long transport routes merely increase logistics costs)
-buildings can be moved and improved
-new engine, allows up to 5x bigger landmasses

Massive decline vs. much needed breath of fresh air?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Massive decline vs. much needed breath of fresh air?

The series definitely needs some fresh air, you can't play the same damn game over and over again. Plus they've run of history AND future as a setting. The only way forward now is to change things up a bit gameplay-wise.

Question is, is the Simcity 2k model the answer.

Perkel

Arcane
The series definitely needs some fresh air, you can't play the same damn game over and over again. Plus they've run of history AND future as a setting. The only way forward now is to change things up a bit gameplay-wise.

Question is, is the Simcity 2k model the answer.

Imo they should just remake 1602. It is the best ANNO still because gameplay is simply fun and there is no bullshit gimmicks.
On other hand since game is very slow to play they could increase map size and add some more proper diplomation so war will be way more interesting.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Imo they should just remake 1602. It is the best ANNO still because gameplay is simply fun and there is no bullshit gimmicks.
On other hand since game is very slow to play they could increase map size and add some more proper diplomation so war will be way more interesting.
What do you mean by bullshit gimmicks? As I see it the series managed to keep its core gameplay. Sure, 2070 and 1404 had different factions to use, but it was more than a gimmick.

Perkel

Arcane
What do you mean by bullshit gimmicks? As I see it the series managed to keep its core gameplay. Sure, 2070 and 1404 had different factions to use, but it was more than a gimmick.

hey we need to do something for next game. I KNOW LET'S ADD HOME CITY !!!
hey we need to do something for next game. I KNOW LETS ADD GREEN VS DIRTY !!
hey we need to do something for next game. I KNOW LETS ADD MOON CITY !!

Problem is that they don't want to improve core of game they instead focus on bullshit because that bullshit will look better on boxart.

On other hand:

- diplomacy ? What diplomacy ?
- proper military ala 1602 ? what military ?
- maps are still size of 1602 ? What we should work on maps ? Why ?
- natives ? you mean those cultures that are threated as bonus ?
- trade network ? What trade network ?
- more random events ? what events ?
- aliances with various non player factions ? Pirates ? Mercenaries ?
- spy network ? what spy network ?

This series after 3rf part started to look like Stronghold sequels past 2nd game where developers instead of polishing core of game they are focusing on bullshit and do needless stuff.

Also games got progressively easier. 1602 economy wasn't superhard but it was easy to run out of materials.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
One of the things that annoyed me about Anno 2070 was that we were forced to play as 2-3 (all) factions at the same time. I get that we're probably supposed to be an independent contrator guy who uses the means at his disposal, but still, I definitely prefer to play one faction (at a time) in strategy games. Playing as those hipster environmentalists made me feel dirty...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
hey we need to do something for next game. I KNOW LET'S ADD HOME CITY !!!
hey we need to do something for next game. I KNOW LETS ADD GREEN VS DIRTY !!
hey we need to do something for next game. I KNOW LETS ADD MOON CITY !!

Problem is that they don't want to improve core of game they instead focus on bullshit because that bullshit will look better on boxart.

On other hand:

- diplomacy ? What diplomacy ?
- proper military ala 1602 ? what military ?
- maps are still size of 1602 ? What we should work on maps ? Why ?
- natives ? you mean those cultures that are threated as bonus ?
- trade network ? What trade network ?
- more random events ? what events ?
- aliances with various non player factions ? Pirates ? Mercenaries ?
- spy network ? what spy network ?

This series after 3rf part started to look like Stronghold sequels past 2nd game where developers instead of polishing core of game they are focusing on bullshit and do needless stuff.

Also games got progressively easier. 1602 economy wasn't superhard but it was easy to run out of materials.
Well, I think diplomacy and military shouldn't be the focus of these games anyway, so I don't miss them. Trade networks worked pretty good in 1404 IMO, and there were quite a few random events, althought not bug events, just small missions.

Perkel

Arcane
Well, I think diplomacy and military shouldn't be the focus of these games anyway, so I don't miss them. Trade networks worked pretty good in 1404 IMO, and there were quite a few random events, althought not bug events, just small missions.

I too think military shouldn't play big role but should be at least something better handled than 1602. 1602 still has the best military system.
Diplomacy on other hand should be one of priotities for game. Trade embargoes, naval blockades etc.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I too think military shouldn't play big role but should be at least something better handled than 1602. 1602 still has the best military system.
Diplomacy on other hand should be one of priotities for game. Trade embargoes, naval blockades etc.
True, combat is quite shit in 1404 for example, and trade embargoes, naval blockades would be awesome.

Perkel

Arcane
True, combat is quite shit in 1404 for example, and trade embargoes, naval blockades would be awesome.

yeah 1404 had terrible combat. Wasn't it basically about camps. I don't remember that well..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom