Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another Age of Pirates 2 thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because fuck it, the old threads are hella dead and this game could always use some attention.

Sea Dogs 4: Pirates of the Caribbean 3: Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships 1 is what happens if you let Russians play Sid Meier's Pirates and decide that they can do better. By Crom, they almost did.
Due warning, this game is as Russian as they get. Outdated graphics, indifferent writing, an emphasis on certain aspects of "realism", absolutely obscure-ass mechanics that you discover only by playing the game and figuring shit out, quests that run the gamut from simple fedex quests(like actual Fedex jobs of delivering cargo) to utterly batshit gigs that are the equivalent of looking for a needle in the haystack fucking ink-drop in the entire goddamn Caribbean waters. And the handholding. Or rather, the complete lack of it.

There are plenty of games that can be daunting to newcomers, this is one of them.

On the other hand, it's an amazingly open region experience, and you can definitely see your character progress from landlubber to sea dog, master fencer etc. There's a whole lot of RPG in the game, from choosing your character's initial build, to being able to work for five different factions (England, Frogland, Holland, Spicland and the Pirates). And then initial scramble to have a sustainable economy thing going.

And because starting this game and getting it going can be hard, here's a bunch of free advice:
  • Mods. There're about two different ones out there, The Combined Mod, and the Gentlemen of Fortune mod. Both are sizable upgrades to the base game, but the Combined Mod is reportedly much more stable, while the Gentlemen of Fortune has some Typical Modder drama going on. My suggestion? Ignore both, just get a hold of the Combined Mod Bugfix only version. It clears most of the terrible game-crashers, and adds a few convenience features that don't screw the game too much.
  • The Peter Blood start. Skip it, the book is much better. Seriously, read the fucking book you mongoloid.
  • Fencing. It's not an elegant system but does its job well enough. The key to winning most fights is to block your opponent's regular hits, parry his heavy attacks and lay onto him once he's exhausted. If you're surrounded though, get your ass to the nearest chokepoint, failing that, try to parry more instead of blocking. You'll find better weapons as you go about, doesn't matter what your style is, it evens out eventually. Fighting man-to-man is also (allegedly) the best way to raise your rank.
  • Stats. Don't get fooled by the P.I.R.A.T.E.S! acronym, bloody thing is just S.P.E.C.I.A.L. renamed. No matter what your build, remember to invest in Reaction so you have some energy to fight with, and Talent to increase your skill gain. Honestly you don't need much investment in Insight, Authority or Success.
  • As far as perks go, get a hold of Musket Volley and Berserker as fast as you can. Both are vital to boarding actions, especially when you run into enemy crew that outnumbers you vastly.
  • Officers. If you plan on boarding and looting enemy ships, Officers of low repute will be more loyal than the good guys. Officer loyalty rises and falls with your actions, and doesn't depend on your reputation. Just something to keep in mind.
  • Naivgation skills rise faster when you're riding a storm, make judicious use of it, your ship can still get beat up something fierce. Remember, you need to have minimum Navigation rank, or a Navigator with the requisites, to handle ships of Superior Class.
  • Don't worry too much about Accuracy and gunnery skills, once you start using ships with a large number of cannons they'll raise much faster.
I'll probably add to this if I dig up more general non-spoiler advice that is worthwhile.
Oh, and be careful if you hit on the barmaids too often.

Screenshots:
Corsairs3_0001.jpg
Your basic character screen. Skills are divided into personal skills and ship skills, however your stealth and authority come more into play in ship actions rather than land ones. Mind you Stealth is basically your stat to avoid fights, in my experience and given my proclivities, it's the hardest skill to raise. Fortunately, there are items available to boost every damn skill, good luck finding them.
Also the above stat layout is how you build a barbarian pirate. (Barbary pirates just ain't in this game though)

Corsairs3_0003.jpg
Running about town. In a non-hostile town you can quickly travel to key locations, saving yourselves from running into random task givers who want you to find their spouse and what not.

Corsairs3_0004.jpg
Fighting undead in caves. While deadly in the start, evventually your character can become nigh unstoppable. Just watch out for poison and guns.
Corsairs3_0006.jpg

Information about your ship, your cargo and crew status. Overcrowding your ship to above its max capacity is worth the morale loss IF you can handle the upkeep. It speeds up your ship and gives you a better advantage in a boarding action.

Corsairs3_0007.jpg
A record of kills and shit, good for maybe little else other than figuring out which nation you're pissing off.

Corsairs3_0008.jpg
Your balance sheet, basically. Tracks your loans and savings. While you don't need the former, consider depositing any excess cash you might have, not only are some expenses based on a percentage of your loot at hand, you WILL suddenly find that your income can't keep up with expenses.

Corsairs3_0009.jpg
The trade book. Tells you how the prices are in any port you visit. Useful only for the merchants.

Corsairs3_0010.jpg
The nation relation log. Tells you who's at war with whom, how each nation feels about you, and what flag you're flying.
Mind you, just because I'm neutral to Spain, doesn't mean I can waltz in port with an English flag. Some lessons are learnt the hard way. Let this not be one such lesson to you.

Corsairs3_0011.jpg
A record of the items in my possession. These can be totems that give various boni and mali, weapons, flintlock pistols, curatives, trinkets, cuirasses and maps.

Let's have some links as well, shall we.

Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships on GoG: https://af.gog.com/game/sea_dogs_city_of_abandoned_ships?as=1649904300
The combined mod bugfix-only version: http://www.moddb.com/mods/city-of-abandoned-ships-combined-mods/downloads/combined-modpack-v17
And here's agris' fix of the bugfix mod: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u0hJ_SZ0ijjyItdG1Kf6cFSVUcT6QDAo/view
Combined Mod V 3.2: http://www.moddb.com/mods/city-of-abandoned-ships-combined-mods/downloads/combined-mod-v320
Ruskie mods: http://corsairs-harbour.ru/downloads.php

Attachments

• Corsairs3_0005.jpg
    Corsairs3_0005.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 352
  • Corsairs3_0012.jpg
    Corsairs3_0012.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 725
Last edited by a moderator:

Morkar Left

What about Sea Dogs To Each His Own / Age of Pirates 3.5 ? It's the latest and has even more stuff going on...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Teho is too story driven and linear right now. Once they open it up for modding we'll see.

Martyr

Arcane
how does "Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales" compare to "City of Abandoned Ships"? is it better/worse? are there any differences except the female protagonist?

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
How is the sailing aspect handled? Is this another one of those games where you miraculously can sail against the wind, or is there some strategy involving tacking and taking the weather gauge?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Carribean Tales is a predecessor, so its rpg features are slightly different, you have a smaller set of islands to muck about in, and it's buggier. It also has a storyline which boils down to conquer every damn place, and the choice of a male or female protagonist.
Incidentally, a bit of text file editing will let you use damn near any ingame model as your avatar for City of Abandoned Ships.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
miraculously can sail against the wind
There are two modes of sea travel, an overhead map sort of thing, and a first/third person view of rhe ship. On the overhead view the ship moves at an utterly glacial pace, whereas in the other mode you might as well have weighed anchor if you try sailing against the wind. You just can't.

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
Carribean Tales is a predecessor, so its rpg features are slightly different, you have a smaller set of islands to muck about in, and it's buggier. It also has a storyline which boils down to conquer every damn place, and the choice of a male or female protagonist.
Incidentally, a bit of text file editing will let you use damn near any ingame model as your avatar for City of Abandoned Ships.
since I can't, could someone else please brofist this man!

deama

Prophet
So should I just get the regular age of pirates 2 version or should I get the city of abandoned ships? Or is city of abandoned ships just a colon description of age of pirates 2 and they're just the same thing?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gentelmen of Fortune has many more fun additions like extra ships, weapons and heroes to play with but its bit buggy I agree; Completed game once as Diego and once as Inquisitor was fun when your Spanish waifu caught my hero in Brothel, kicked him from their House and left with only one ship out of ten he owned being Admiral in Spanish Armada and Man who survived the City of Abandoned Ships; Womyn, Womyn never change. Was good for him to be honest her upkeep was very costly +M putas and prisoners are very much more economic.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Updated with a few links. I'd gladly add a link or two to the GOF/ERAS mod once I figure out which version is most stable.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Updated with a few links. I'd gladly add a link or two to the GOF/ERAS mod once I figure out which version is most stable.
The 1.7 fixes only version of the combined mod has some bugs regarding the weather and camera which were fixed in the forums (but not in that moddb release you linked). I compiled the fixes here.

There's also some issue with widescreen resolution, here's my notes.txt

from: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/looking-for-js-combined-mod.21416/page-3#post-496416

Can't say I've had mouse or music issues with this mod, but

3. In 3rd person view there are POTC crew wandering around the ship, but in 1st person there are no crew. Is it supposed to be this way?

I can chime in on this one. This is how it works in vanilla CoAS. This can be easily changed, but it was not part of this pack by default.

If you want crew in first person you will need to open the file "Age of Pirates 2/Program/SEA_AI/AICameras.c" and change any instance "Sailors.IsOnDeck = 1" to "Sailors.IsOnDeck = 0", as per this thread on here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/crew-in-1st-person.13789/

Oh, the game world is very foggy.

That's also vanilla CoAS. Iirc these files will change it if you want, and don't conflict with anything already there: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/rel-anoying-fog.14937/

Hope that helps. I think that's all the things I personally change as well.

from: https://af.gog.com/forum/sea_dogs_series/hi_resolution_fix_city_of_abandoned_ships?as=1649904300

You can choose the resolution in which you want to play the game by manually editing the engine.ini in your City of Abandoned Ships folder with wordpad.

Insert the resolution values into the lines
screen_x and screen_y:

This is what i use, but you may want to edit the values differently:
screen_x = 2560
screen_y = 1440

I heard that there maybe problems with the loading screen, UI, Inventory, because the game has a 4:3 aspect ratio as default. In most cases your screen should look somehow stretched.

This is what seems to fix it:

Go to

Sea Dogs - City of Abandoned Ships\Program\INTERFACE\interface.c

and also edit it with wordpad

search the following line:
showWindow.aspectRatio = (h*4.0)/(w*3.0);

and change it to:
showWindow.aspectRatio = 1.0;

Just in case, backup your files before you change them.

It took me some time to figure it out, so i wanted to share and probably save you some time.
I hope it helps and you enjoy your game even more.

&

Thank you for Resolution fix!

And here is another one for zooming out on sea battles:

First you need to go into Program/SEA_AI/AICameras

Find this code:

SeaFreeCamera.Perspective = 1.285;

// Ship camera paramerets
SeaShipCamera.Perspective = 1.285;

Change to:

SeaFreeCamera.Perspective = 1.885;

// Ship camera paramerets
SeaShipCamera.Perspective = 1.885;

&

Do you also know how to change the same thing on land? Since i have a widescreener, my feet and the rooftops are always cutted off and the hero is far to big right in front of me (like my ship was before i had your zoom fix for the sea). To see everything, i always have to move my mouse up and down. I read that it shall have something to do with the Vert- deficiency values in the game files.

Thanks in advance,

angelaasch
For those wondering why play an old version of the mod, well.... the 3.2 or Gentlemen of Fortune versions add something like several hundred ships, and far far too many spergy changes for my liking. I much prefer the light touch of the 1.7 version which sticks to stock ships but has a lot of quality of life features. Also, because 1.7 has a lot less features, it's more stable. Look at either the Combined 3.2 or GoF forum threads and you'll see people running into bugs regularly, whereas what I've posted above is all the fixes for the reported bugs in 1.7.

Last edited by a moderator:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
For what it's worth, I don't seem to have any widescreen fuckups on a 1366x768 screen.

agris

Arcane
Patron
For what it's worth, I don't seem to have any widescreen fuckups on a 1366x768 screen.
Yeah, idk. From those posts it sounds like an aspect ratio issue with the 2D art of some screens, but maybe it's only for 'non-standard' resolutions at the time of the game's release? Your resolution is a pretty standard for early to mid 2000s screens.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
That's not to say it's free of stretched ui or anything, I just have nothing that really stops me from playing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I've been trying to screenshot the game, but the shadows get fucked up something fierce when I use F8 to save a png. Considering how badly this game deals with Alt-tab, print screen ain't such of a much either.

In any case, I've added a few screenshots about the UI at lleast.

I still got to figure out how some aspects of the Diplomat works, as even if you're individually neutral to a nation, you can't quite enter his port unless you have a friendly flag. And if you enter thus, you get interrogated by the damn guards anyway.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Damn, I really wanted an article about this game for the CRPG Book, even went to the Pirates Ahoy fan forum, but got nothing... should've known that the Codex would save me.

So ERYFKRAD, wanna write a short review bout the series? :3

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Damn, I really wanted an article about this game for the CRPG Book, even went to the Pirates Ahoy fan forum, but got nothing... should've known that the Codex would save me.

So ERYFKRAD, wanna write a short review bout the series? :3
Haven't played the other games in the series much.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Haven't played the other games in the series much.
"haven't played much" is still better than "never even tried".... this series is super obscure, not even the admins of the fan site played all games. The important thing is to describe one of them, so that people can learn about the series and decide to jump in. Kinda like what you did in this thread.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We're putting together a review for the CRPG Book, so here's some info I dug up on the series history, if anyone is curious:
  • The first game was Sea Dogs (2000), based on Akella's Storm Engine.
  • Akella then landed a deal with Bethesda for a sequel - Sea Dogs 2. They updated their engine to Storm Engine 2, but Bethesda renamed the game to Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) to take advantage of the movie. In truth it has almost nothing to do with the movie.
  • Akella made another sequel in 2006, called Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales. They had to change the name because "Sea Dogs" was now owned by Bethesda.
  • Their final "official" game was Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships (2009), which was basically an expanded version of the previous game.
  • Then they shared the source code with some Russian modders, who eventually published their mods as a stand-alone games. One of those, Sea Dogs: To Each His Own (2012), was later translated into English and released on Steam in 2017.
As such, every game since Pirates of the Caribbean uses the same base engine and is mostly the same game with some improvements and content change. Think Mount & Blade and its multiple versions. Also like Mount & Blade, the mods keep the community fractioned, since almost every game has a unique mod that a lot of people enjoy and doesn't work on the other entries. There's even the mandatory Unity remake attempt...

This mess also means the games have different publishers.... so some games are only sold on Steam (To Each His Own ), others only on GOG (City of Abandoned Ships) and some can't be bough at all (Pirates of the Caribbean).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom