Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Another Morrowind Mod List - RP and Content Mods

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
What about necromancy and vampire related mods

Give me lore friendly that is actually lore friendly and not shit, you n'wah.
:obviously:

Oh powerful and prestigious potato, do you have an authoritative, trimmed-down mod list?

DraQ

Arcane
Give me lore friendly that is actually lore friendly and not shit, you n'wah.
:obviously:

Oh powerful and prestigious potato, do you have an authoritative, trimmed-down mod list?
Not really. It's been a long while since I last played MW and it doesn't need that much modding.
I would expect TR to be autistic enough WRT the lore correctness, I guess.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Rise of House Telvanni 2.0 by mortimermcmire: this mod gives a much needed facelift to one of the best known faction expansion mod - Pozzo's Rise of House Telvanni. This is a heavily expanded version of the original mod, adding quests for the Telvanni Archmagister, allowing him/her to gain more political power and strengthen House Telvanni. mortimermcmire went through the mod, cutting down out of place characters and doing lots and lots of dialogue changes. It also fixes scripts and aims to give the mod a more lore-correct approach overall.

Changes:
-The Mary-Sue (self-insert?) character has been cut down to an incredible degree. No more vivec face. No more famous ancestors. No more "finding the Oghma Infinium twice"
-Her ancestor has had a similar treatment done. Quests involving both of them no longer reference each other as relatives.
-The term Archmagistrix is terrible and was changed.
-The character Zubudaiah is now named Delasa Rethosa. She isn't an Ashlander.
-Removed bizarrely placed objects (like a dozen vivec heads from a portal gate, why)
-Lots and lots of dialogue changes. The original authors would use semicolons; where you shouldn't have them. AND LOTS OF YELLING IN ALL CAPS
-Reduced the amount of gold to give the Mages Guild folks, giving people 25k for the first quest is either really easy if youre a god or near impossible if you have economy fixes.
-Script fixes, like there were certain books that were unreadable because they had OnActivate returns.
-No longer are you forced to obliterate the Mages Guild, nor does it give you the trap option of doing nothing
-Gothren no longer has lorebreaking weird dialogue regarding the other council members

Great, time for another replay... I played the Mary Sue version last time around, and supposedly that already had some dead weight removed from a yet earlier version. Will be interesting to see if this really has all the cringe shit removed. In any case, in terms of sheer content it's almost a full-scale game expansion by itself, especially when combined with the Tel Uvirith and LGNPC mods.

Funposter

Arcane
What about necromancy and vampire related mods

Vampire mods are pretty good but only for LARPing. Vampire Embrace is also an older mod so it's very script-heavy, and that has a tendency to break anything else that also relies on MWscript to achieve anything relatively complex (the expansions, Tamriel Rebuilt). Uvirith's Legacy has neat functionality to accommodate being a vampire, so the NPCs it adds around the tower will react to you being a vampire and have unique dialogue, and overall a Telvanni playthrough is the only kind even remotely suited to being a vampire for any length of time. It's fun to build up a little coven of followers, use Illusion magic to charm people so they don't alert guards, etc. but ultimately it's all just a little story that you're building up in your head. It doesn't really affect the game in a meaningful way.

By the way, I highly recommend all of the Magic Mechanics mods by OperatorJack. The changes to Detect effects in particular make them so much more useful. Also check out Magicka Expanded which uses MWSE lua to allow for the ability to create entirely brand new spell effects in a way that won't crash the game. The lore-friendly pack restores the Banish Daedra effect from Daggerfall.

DraQ

Arcane
Rise of House Telvanni 2.0 by mortimermcmire: this mod gives a much needed facelift to one of the best known faction expansion mod - Pozzo's Rise of House Telvanni. This is a heavily expanded version of the original mod, adding quests for the Telvanni Archmagister, allowing him/her to gain more political power and strengthen House Telvanni. mortimermcmire went through the mod, cutting down out of place characters and doing lots and lots of dialogue changes. It also fixes scripts and aims to give the mod a more lore-correct approach overall.

Changes:
-The Mary-Sue (self-insert?) character has been cut down to an incredible degree. No more vivec face. No more famous ancestors. No more "finding the Oghma Infinium twice"
-Her ancestor has had a similar treatment done. Quests involving both of them no longer reference each other as relatives.
-The term Archmagistrix is terrible and was changed.
-The character Zubudaiah is now named Delasa Rethosa. She isn't an Ashlander.
-Removed bizarrely placed objects (like a dozen vivec heads from a portal gate, why)
-Lots and lots of dialogue changes. The original authors would use semicolons; where you shouldn't have them. AND LOTS OF YELLING IN ALL CAPS
-Reduced the amount of gold to give the Mages Guild folks, giving people 25k for the first quest is either really easy if youre a god or near impossible if you have economy fixes.
-Script fixes, like there were certain books that were unreadable because they had OnActivate returns.
-No longer are you forced to obliterate the Mages Guild, nor does it give you the trap option of doing nothing
-Gothren no longer has lorebreaking weird dialogue regarding the other council members
*eye twitch*

Looks like the original mod was truly a :prosper::flamesaw:material.

It's good to have a built-in Flammenwerfer.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
The biggest danger in Morrowind modding is not having moderation. Be very picky.

Tell me about it. I'm currently making the mistake of installing this list. It's all fun and games for a while, but soon they start directing you towards Russian sites to get improved kegstands and better mudcrab textures. Yikes.net. They say "feel free to skip some", but once you've already installed the kegstands, there's really no justification not to do the mudcrabs as well. At least whoever made the list generally points out when the recommended mod is vanilla-friendly and when it isn't, but still you need to police that shit, because modders gonna mod.

What I don't get: most of this list is small cosmetic changes that haven't been updated for >4 years. Apparently nobody has thought of combining them into one of the larger texture packs that is already there? Anyway, now I'm so far down the list that there's really no going back.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The biggest danger in Morrowind modding is not having moderation. Be very picky.

That really goes for every Gamebyro Engine game by Bethesda / Obsidian out there.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Really dont care about most mods, most modders have a particular idea of how the game should be and most of the time involves large doses of autism that actually dont make the game better. The only mods I care on Bethesda games are the ones with new areas like Tamriel Rebuilt or stuff like Requiem that is mandatory to make Skyrim playable, even Requiem, I only installed it because the gameplay was such a streamlined boring garbage on Skyrim that it was worthy to deal with modder shenanigans to salvage it.

So, any mod that add new quests and locations that is actually decent for Morrowind outside Tamriel Rebuilt?

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I did finally get through the Morrowind 2020 list. Still feels a bit like I've been doing a day's worth of data entry work without getting paid for it, but the game does look pretty good at first glance, including with Distant Land. Although I play on a 6-year-old laptop toaster so anything more than 5x draw distance makes it unplayable. But anything higher than that is overkill anyway, it just shows you how small the game world is. At 2-5x draw distance you get a good view while still actually having to explore. I have it at 4 now. I've used MGE XE before but never really fucked around with the graphics otherwise. So it's interesting to see how it turns out.

Only thing I would change now is to replace/get rid of the bodies/heads replacers. Although we've come a long way from the Better Bodies barbie dolls, one of these mods (not sure which) still gives some characters ridiculous modern-day haircuts and then we're right back in Sims territory, Cringeville, population: me. I also didn't install either of the grass mods. The Aesthesia one has reviews indicating that the grass is generated randomly and pokes through in places where it shouldn't, while the Vurt one looks far too fairytale, Oblivion-like to me. There are a couple of other cosmetic mods on the list where the basic idea seems to be "Oblivion = good so let's make it look like Oblivion as much as possible".

I wonder however if the result would be very much worse if you just install the Intelligent Textures pack, put distant land over it, and leave it at that.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
House Hlaalu

Roleplay Options for Great House Hlaalu by Caeris and luj1: This mod adds several new ways to complete vanilla quests for Great House Hlaalu. Persuade, bargain, and extort Hlaalu rivals to soar your way through their ranks as you learn to walk, talk, and act like a proper Imperial-boot-licking bureaucrat. Features new dialogue, expanded quests and lore-friendliness.

I was just checking out the screenshots of this since I'm curious about a Hlaalu mod. Would be good to have a bit less generic material for them, considering how much is available for Redoran and Telvanni now.

I noticed that you can use skills in conversations to get certain things done. How does this work? Is success/failure based on the height of your skill or is it always fixed that some options will work and some won't?

Just wondering since this way of having dialogues seems a bit incongruous with the rest of Morrowind, so I'm not sure whether to install this. Although perhaps I shouldn't be squeamish since this is pretty mild compared to having a fucking piano and chess board in Uvirith's Legacy.

Funposter

Arcane
House Hlaalu

Roleplay Options for Great House Hlaalu by Caeris and luj1: This mod adds several new ways to complete vanilla quests for Great House Hlaalu. Persuade, bargain, and extort Hlaalu rivals to soar your way through their ranks as you learn to walk, talk, and act like a proper Imperial-boot-licking bureaucrat. Features new dialogue, expanded quests and lore-friendliness.

I was just checking out the screenshots of this since I'm curious about a Hlaalu mod. Would be good to have a bit less generic material for them, considering how much is available for Redoran and Telvanni now.

I noticed that you can use skills in conversations to get certain things done. How does this work? Is success/failure based on the height of your skill or is it always fixed that some options will work and some won't?

Just wondering since this way of having dialogues seems a bit incongruous with the rest of Morrowind, so I'm not sure whether to install this. Although perhaps I shouldn't be squeamish since this is pretty mild compared to having a fucking piano and chess board in Uvirith's Legacy.
Just a guess, but I'd imagine they are binary checks - "do you have equal to, or greater than, [x] amount" since that's how skill and stat checks are implemented in the vanilla game, although they are so rare that you'd be forgiven for thinking that Morrowind doesn't have them. Your Blunt Weapon skill determines which reward you get for the Skull Crusher quest, the Imperial Legion quest 'Courtesy' requires you to have 50+ Intelligence to correctly answer the riddles (or the necessary book) and The Drunken Bounty Hunter doesn't just have an Intelligence check, but one that changes based on your character's race. There's more, but those come to mind immediately.

So, any mod that add new quests and locations that is actually decent for Morrowind outside Tamriel Rebuilt?
It pretty much entirely uses vanilla locations, but I really liked the Vvardenfell Brotherhood quest mod that was released last year. I'd actually give it the same compliment that I give to TR - it feels like it could be part of the vanilla game. Maybe not to the same extent that TR does, but there's very, very little modder autism going on.

Most Morrowind mods released now are pretty high quality, since it's a very dedicated community. Check out some of the quest mods released during modathons over the last couple of years and I think you'll enjoy yourself.

zool

Arcane
It pretty much entirely uses vanilla locations, but I really liked the Vvardenfell Brotherhood quest mod that was released last year. I'd actually give it the same compliment that I give to TR - it feels like it could be part of the vanilla game. Maybe not to the same extent that TR does, but there's very, very little modder autism going on.

Most Morrowind mods released now are pretty high quality, since it's a very dedicated community. Check out some of the quest mods released during modathons over the last couple of years and I think you'll enjoy yourself.

Yes, Vvardenfell Brotherhood seems to be a very high-quality mod, and it shouldn't come as a surprise since it's made by Caeris, one of the handful of quality modders from that new generation of Morrowind modders who consider lore-friendliness and vanilla-friendlieness as an essential part of Morrowind modding.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Some of the mods from the OP that I've downloaded:

The Publicans by Half11: this mod, made by the author of the Patch for Purists, fixes several places in the vanilla game that are set up like inns, but in which Bethesda for some reason has forgotten to add the option to rent a room to. Each new publican is also given some (limited) custom dialogue, which reflects their surroundings and the (lack of) services they are offering. Use the LGNPC-compatible version that resolve a compatibility issue with LGNPC Ald'Ruhn.

No-brainer, really. It always annoyed me even though I hardly ever rent rooms. I've used similar mods in the past.

What Thieves Guild by VonDjango: this is one of VonDjango's oldest mod, recentluy updated to v1.31. It adds realistic individual cover 'backgrounds' for thieves in the South Wall, The Rat in the Pot and Dirty Muriel's. You'll now need to have high enough disposition with TG members before they reveal to your PC that they belong to the TG.

This seems like a good idea to me. Right now I'm playing an Imperial with a high personality, so it'll be interesting whether it matters for me at all.

Hospitality Papers Extended by PoodleSandwich: In the vanilla game, you were supposed to have to purchase "Hospitality Papers" before being able to get services in Sadrith Mora. Dialogue suggested this, and the papers were available to buy, but the mechanic of service refusal was never actually implemented. This mod, building on quorn's original mod, fixes this and adds some more stuff: new audio and text dialogue for guards, harassing you about having papers, including newly recorded lines from original Morrowind voice actor Jeff Baker,

Wow, I want to hear these lines by Baker. Very cool idea. Usually I just ignore any mod with added voice work since it's always cringe as fuck. The Hospitality Papers thing always bugged me, although the UESP wiki rationalises it as being just a "scam".

Expansion Delay by Half11: this mod restricts the constant, immersion-breaking references to Solstheim in the vanilla game dialogue options and rumors. Now only NPCs who are Agents or Scouts will tell you about Solstheim once you're level 6 or above, and only one random generic Imperial guard has had his son sent to Solstheim. This mod also delays the Dark Brotherhood attacks which start the Tribunal expansion and make them stop once you've reported them to the guards. Before, you were forced to travel to Mournhold and start the Tribunal quest to make them to stop.

Good idea obviously. In the past I would use the Delayed DB Attack and Solstheim Undialog mods. It's practical to have both expansions delayed in one mod, and the tweaks suggested here make sense. Even if the attack is delayed, in the old mod you still eventually had to travel to Mournhold to make them stop even if you had zero intention of continuing the Tribunal MQ. This seems like a good solution. Also good to have some more thought put into who knows about Solstheim and when they'll spill the beans.

Gnisis Docks by Gavrilo93: modify the vanilla Imperial Legion Widow Vabdas' land deed quest given to the player by general Darius, so that if the player choses the (vanilla) evil option, a new dock will be built up in three days, near the hut of Widow Vabdas, thus providing a way for the player to feel that his or her actions now really have consequences. Features include new docks at Gnisis (with a new shipmaster who offers fast travel to Ald Velothi, Khuul, and Gnaar Mok), an "in-between" stage after one day has passed (observe the construction of the docks, and talk with a new, interesting NPC, who is responsible for it), a simple delivery quest to offer a lore-friendly reason to visit the docks and unique dialogue from the people of Gnisis and Ald Velothi concerning the docks, based on their personality, current status, faction membership, and several other factors. The mod is compatible with mods such as LGNPC Pax Redoran and LGNPC Ald Velothi.

Looks good to me, probably won't be playing Legion in the near future but nice to have.

Blades Informant by Gavrilo93: allows you to continue working for the Blades after Caius' departure and deliver useful information to them that you may have picked up during your travels. The way you learn "useful information" is triggered by the presence of certain items in your inventory, or certain journal entries. All of them are vanilla, but they are arranged in a way that no vanilla quest would be broken, if you decide to also inform the Blades about what you've learned.

This looks like great fun to me. Good examples given in the screenshots. I look forward to doing some toadying.

Haven't had time to play yet, but I wanted to highlight these as adding value without making huge changes. Will probably play MW for quite a bit during the weekend.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Been playing for a while with an Imperial thief-style, Hlaalu, Empire toady character. First of the mods from OP that I dealt with was therefore the "What Thieves Guild?" mod. As the description says, you need at least 65 disposition to get information about the guild. That's the main change. I think Ahnassi in Pelagiad still tells you anyway, or her disposition just gets high quickly. I forgot. For me it doesn't make much of a difference since this build (with Lady birth sign) has high Personality and disposition with most people.

I was thinking, early on in the game you can accumulate a lot of moon sugar and some skooma (cave near Seyda Neen, Seyda Neen warehouse if you can get the key, one of the Blades trainers, etc.). Perhaps it would be nice if the Thieves Guild only contact you once you've sold a fair bit of drugs or other contraband (Dwemer stuff, ebony and glass). So when you've been gaining some reputation as a criminal. Or if you've been in prison or had high bounties or something. I think Oblivion does this although I haven't played it much. Not sure if such a thing can even be implemented in MW but it would be nice.

The main problem with any modification of joining the Thieves Guild is that it's almost always a LARP since all players know where to find the guild by now, and the rationale for a mod like this would not be obvious to someone playing for the first time. Still would make for a nice change of pace.

zool

Arcane
Updated the OP:

- added a list of content at the beginning;
- added a new subsection "Audio mods" with a trio of mods by VonDjango (Idle Talk, Great Service, Its a Deal);
- added three mods in the Faction Expansions section for vanilla factions that were not joinable in the vanilla game (Vvardenfell Brotherhood by Caeris, Census and Excise Office by Gavrilo93, Join the Camonna Tong by DD4n)
- added one additional mod in the Immersion - Consistency Fixes subsection (The Dream is the Door by MelchiorDahrk).

zool

Arcane
It's not a guide, it's a list (hint: it's in the thread title).

Users should pick and choose mods to their liking from it, like wwsd did. People are not expected to install all the mods from the list - a few of them are incompatible anyway.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Morrowind Optimization Patch v10.0 and Intelligent Textures v3.0 are out, both must-have mods.

House Hlaalu

Roleplay Options for Great House Hlaalu by Caeris and luj1: This mod adds several new ways to complete vanilla quests for Great House Hlaalu. Persuade, bargain, and extort Hlaalu rivals to soar your way through their ranks as you learn to walk, tr. alk, and act like a proper Imperial-boot-licking bureaucrat. Features new dialogue, expanded quests and lore-friendliness.

I honestly don't remember, but I'm pretty sure we assigned every check a fixed requirement, e.g. 60 Short Blade, etc.

Just wondering since this way of having dialogues seems a bit incongruous with the rest of Morrowind, so I'm not sure whether to install this. Although perhaps I shouldn't be squeamish and since this is pretty mild compared to having a fucking piano and chess board in Uvirith's Legacy.

Well, you won't find anything lore-unfriendly or badly written if that's bothering you. There are a few instances of dialogue choices in the base game already so it doesn't pop out too much imo. It was our original intention to cover the rest of the game eventually, but meh. It's a lot of work.

Last edited:

soulburner

Cipher
I think I've asked this already, but here goes:

Any tips on how to move a very modded Morrowind between PCs? When I was playing modded Oblivion I found posts on reddit suggesting just to copy the game folder and the config/save folder in My Games and it will be okay, but it isn't (and the game shouts at me that not all content is available and that it will break and surely enough, not all mods seem to work). Planning to play Morrowind both on my toaster laptop and my desktop PC, sharing saves through the cloud or something.

Please advise.

zool

Arcane
Updated the OP:

Roleplay
- updated Quest Tweaks and Alternatives link to latest version (1.19, the link was previously pointing to 1.17) and added a warning about potential compatibilty issues with other mods
- added four mods in Roleplay category (Courtesy by chantox, Leave Great Houses by HunterS, Thieves Guild Regained Trust by ProfArmitage, Clear your Name by Lucevar)

Dialogue
- added warning about the release of LGNPC Ebonheart
- added link to alternate version of Carelessly Crazy Caldera Community

Immersion
- added two mods in the Consistency Fixes subcategory (Trackless Gazeland by Reizeron, Vivec Records Lore Friendly by ostar)
- added six mods in the Less-static world subcategory (Go Away Move Along by l1lartur0, Something's Not Right by Cliffworms, Correspondances of Morrowind by Cliffworms, Hostages by Gavrilo93, Sixth House Smugglers by Gavrilo93, The Bounty Hunter Bundle by Gavrilo93)
- added warning about potential compatibility issues for Main Quest Enhancers.

Faction Expansion
- added one mod to Dark Brotherhood subcategory (To Serve Sithis by Emyn + crossover patch)

Shadenuat

Arcane
OHAI I MADE U A LORE FRIENDLY MOD FEATURING WESTERN MERCHANT INEXPLICABLY WEARING ASHLANDER STYLE (GENERIC) PANTS AND SHIRT
Honestly there should have been more of this in original Morrowind. Just like romans dyed their hair red as latest fashion after meeting with gaul traders, so should have been more imperials and even imperial legionaries adopting clothing and weapons of place they serve at. In fact some of the ashlanders should have been dragged into legions as scouts or back line support or fodder. More imperial knights parading in dwemer armor to show off to the ladies. That's how Empires were and should be.

Whoever designed Tel Vos had a right idea.

Then again I wonder, if dunmer make their fortresses and all architecture in one way, with particular types of stones and domes, where does this other stone for imperial fortresses come from, and wouldn't using such architecture with open walls and stuff in a place full of ASH STORMS even be viable? Ebonheart is like, ok, it can be an exception built to glorify the Empire with materials from main land. Instead if building this stuff further into island, legions should have just used old dunmer fortresses.

And more slaves everywhere. Even imperials should dabble into home slaves more because it's one place you can buy yourself somebody as a bodyguard or a... house servant.

...man replaying Morrowind gives you quite an autistic hit does it. :happytrollboy:

Last edited:

Brujoloco

Educated
Guys, dont want to be a snob, but some of the mods here are like old old old and (to me in a good way) reads like a House Flaggerty recently launched webpage! :D

So you need more mods here! there are so many!

If you want to be on the keen edge of morrowind modding, please visit the Morrowind Modding Community Discord here: https://discord.gg/9KJYcqPn

Also some of the best mods right now use MWSE, the script extender, which brings , to keep in topic with this amazing thread mods like:

Ashfall : https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49057

The Guar Whisperer: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48247

CCCP: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48110

And so many others, but these three make a huge difference in the game. I have some morrowind mods as well on my own section but I really like people seeing newer loadscreens for Morrowind, as I am a huge collector and maker of them, so please check my own loadscreens here, ignore the nsfw tag, its mostly because some of the russian art has nudes with a boob here or male genitalia there in tasteful fashion and I turned them into loadscreens

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48576

Hope this adds to the thread

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom