Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another PC exclusive developer turns to consoles.

Annonchinil

Scholar
PC games all had problems like hardware and stability, but the sales kept increasing, then came torrents, and boom sales decrease when hardawre sales are increasing, Nvidia was named Forbes company of the year.

Keldorn

Scholar
From the CRPG corpse created by corporate consolitis, a new and rejuvenated indie scene will arise. Modders will congregate. Genuine CRPG fans will support the alternative CRPG scene, and ignore mainstream hype & tripe.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

crysis is a fine shooter, its far from beeing a "08/15 shooter with shiny graphics" as so many (who prolly never gave it a chance...) make it out to be. its not perfect however: multiplayer has many issues, the singleplayer is a mixed bag (first 2/3 are awesome, last 1/3 is pretty shit), the story is pretty generic hollywood drivel (then again, so is HL2, CoD4 and basically any other shooter ...)

the first 2/3 of SP are imho superior to any other recently released shooter, GAMEPLAY-wise, heck it could have HL2 graphics and still beat the shit out of other shooters.
pretty open level design (i.e. its still somewhat linear but FAR from the railroaded fragfests that make up 99% of the shooter genre), decent AI (maybe worse then fear, but miles above CoD4 / Hl2 etc...), great gunplay etc. etc. with a splash of DX feeling when you have fuck tons of different ways to complete a level compared to your average shooter. stealth, clever use of environment/physics, nanosuit etc etc.

its the closest thing to deus ex we got in many years but here s morons praising the railroaded fuckfests made by valve & the likes instead, yeah right....

as for cevat beeing a whiny bitch about piracy: crysis sold well enough, according to EA themselves over 1 million copies after 2 months. maybe they lied, who knows..... but it was pretty strong in sales charts. only CoD4 beat it (pc exclusive) and thats easily explained by better multiplayer, lower hardware requirements and better hype.
if they expected better sales for crysis (i doubt they did) they were simply retarded.

i bet the actual reason he s unhappy with crysis isnt crysis itself but that crytek didnt plan to make big $ with crysis, but with the cryengine 2.0 for which crysis was the flagship.
so far only around 10 companies licensed CE 2.0 of which few actually make games and those who do are rather unknown. no competition for epic and its unreal engine with their masses of licenses.
thats why they are going multiplatform now (and they have been working on xbox360 / PS3 versions of cryengine 2.0 already since a while)..... not piracy.

another reason is imho well understood jealousy.

crysis was a big budget production and while it may or may not have made up its costs (incl engine licences)...... there s zero doubt that CoD4 cost only a fraction to produce of crysis and it sold soo much more. they might have made enough money to cover their costs but i guess when you see that producing shit with little effort results in massive profit and not just "covering your costs" you get a bit jealous.....

perfect example: a mappack with a handfull of MP maps for CoD4 sold 1 million copies for 10$ each, 10.000.000 $ return for what costed ZERO $ to produce ( at least i know plenty of random teenagers who could make a handfull of semi-decent MP maps in a matter of weeks for no money.... ). every capitalists wet dream.

crytek has a own mod & mapping portal where you can so far download 300 maps, including 50% singleplayer ones .... because the editor shipped with crysis is freaking amazing. their fans may worship them but afterall i d take 1 million retards paying me for worthless shit then 100.000 loving my great editor but ultimately paying zero.
it doesnt pay off to be the "nice guy".

anyway, i thought crytek been a really decent company so far , and that hasnt anything to do with them beeing german like me (they re run by filthy arab untermenschens).
despite its shortcomming crysis was at least for me finally a good shooter again, one that was very worth buying alone for the editor but i still had another 20-30 h of fun with just the campaign (the first 2/3 of it really invite replays over and over thanks to the not-so-linear gameplay)

too bad their next game is bound to be exactly the same mediocre shit as CoD4 or Half Life 2 but such is life.

I don't see what the big deal is here.

They're starting with experience from Far Cry and Crysis knowing how to develop for PCs and what PC gamers want as far as interface options, etc. so I don't see them abandoning that knowledge and developing future games that will have consolitis such as huge fonts, minimal interface customization options, etc.

Most of the big FPS gaming companies (iD, Epic, Infinity Ward, VALVe) have moved from PC exclusivity to cross-platform without detriment to the PC games they put out.

As for Crysis, my rig could barely handle the demo, though I liked what I played as it reminded me of the free-form open levels of Far Cry.

Keldorn said:
From the CRPG corpse created by corporate consolitis, a new and rejuvenated indie scene will arise. Modders will congregate. Genuine CRPG fans will support the alternative CRPG scene, and ignore mainstream hype & tripe.

While I wish this was true, you can look at the NWN and NWN2 module communities as examples of the signal to noise ratio (i.e. good modules like tortured hearts vs. "Hay guys, check out my first module!").

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Re: ...

@riolikesrice
ricolikesrice said:
it was pretty strong in sales charts. only CoD4 beat it (pc exclusive)

Wie meinst du das? Bezogen auf die Verkäufe? Oder dass CoD4 exklusiv für PC erschien (was es nicht tat)?

@Keldorn & other Codex Indie fanboys

You're wishing on a star there. Yes, PCs will be the primary platform for indies, because you don't have to pay a license and don't have to undergo the quality assurance process by the console manufacturer beforehand.

But, to tell you the truth: Indies alone won't rock my boat. And (admit it) they don't do that for the majority of the Codexers. Was Fallout an "indie"? - No. Side project - Yes, but not an indie. Same goes for DX. All the Ultimas and BGs were major commercial projects.

And that is the reason I don't want to miss them or play them on console only. So, that's why I bought 22 CRPG and 2 strategy game releases in 2007 alone for my PC. And didn't pirate 1 game. To help keeping the gaming platform interesting for major projects. Especially games like Dragon Age.

@ Gnidrologist
Everything that I read here. And that it won't feature talking animals :D

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Lol, let me explain it in terms you guys can understand.

Big corporates, it's like they have 500 hit points, right. So if they take 100 points of damage, they still have 400 hit points. They're annoyed they are taking damage so they decide to head to a region where the average attack damage isn't so high.

Indies are your 1st level wizards. They have 4 hit points. They can't take that kind of hit. They can't even take a hit 1/10th of that without folding. So even if piracy is less for indies (market data indicates it isn't really much lower) they simply don't have the kind of padding necessary to take even a weak blow.

Almost every indie makes financial sacrifices just to be able to do what he does. They're very close to the wire. Piracy could and does easily push them over the edge into oblivion.

But hey, keep telling yourself piracy will make for an indie paradise because it will push all the big players out and then the pirates will come in and not pirate indies because they are touched by their just and righteous cause. Maybe we can all hold hands and sing kumbaya?

Lol, so deluded. :lol:

Longshanks

Augur
Piracy is "a" problem. No point in whining about it, either find a solution, reduce your margins, or migrate to the console paradise. I don't really give a shit. Maybe this "omg! piracy crisis!" will somehow cause the industry to mature, maybe even produce some games worth playing by anyone over the age of 18. Not saying there's any reason it will, but any shake up is better than the current degradation/stagnation.

Bemoaning the possible death of PC gaming as some tragedy is like crying because no-one's watching reality TV anymore. If 99% of games are shit, who cares? Maybe it will be reborn as something better (there will be a market for the forseeable future, the numbers sold are too high for there not to be).

For the record:
Didn't buy Crysis, didn't pirate it. The game was of no interest to me.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
either find a solution

A solution has been found. :D

Go here, click "Shockwave", choose a game :

http://necromanthus.com/main.html

Or go here, register for the beta, enjoy :

http://www.instantaction.com/

You're looking at the beginning of checkmate. ;)

The generation before ours remembers a time before the internet. We will be the generation who remembers a time when offline gaming was common. :lol:

Dmitron

Arbiter
Blaming piracy for everything is BS. Piracy has always plagued the PC platform, and it will only get worse on consoles as they continue becoming "mini pcs".

PC gamers made Crytek. Now a few years later we're all labelled pirates? There are still games selling well on the PC. Crysis didn't sell the numbers Crytek promised their shareholders because of ridiculous hardware requirements, not because of piracy. I recently bought a copy...after upgrading to the latest Quadcore and a 8800GTX. Finally I can run the game on high without much slowdown. It's a tech demo, and a really fun (in places) Farcry like shooter. It's amusing they simply assume they're going to sell untold millions. It's a shame they don't gamble on creativity and developing a new truly interesting IP, rather than being safe and creating a semi-sequel title with little new to nothing to offer.

Crytek are a company that spend ages developing a 64-bit version of Farcry. At the time 64-bit OS were niche. Why did they burn development time on that? Focusing on niche tech enhancements aren't the right priority for a company sinking millions into what should be a mainstream title playable on mainstream systems. If 70% of the PC gamer market can only run your game semi-smoothly on medium settings, which look much worse than the hyped screenshots, how do you expect to sell enmasse to the mainstream PC gamer? Crytek gambled and lost, it happens. Rather than blaming piracy, they should blame they're own lack of creativity, the cash thrown at them by hardware vendors desperate to push their next line of GFX cards, and not understanding what their target market wants.

Developers are risk averse. I understand that budgets for "a-grade" titles are through the roof, but it's shame they don't take chances developing interesting titles. No one remembers a bland flop.

Naked Ninja said:
let me explain it in terms you guys can understand.
Wow, straight off the mybroadband.co.za forums by any chance?

Is Naked Ninja one of those gamers that perversely enjoys stating the obvious to torture the rest of us who still have the energy to hide our idealism behind cynicism?

Longshanks

Augur
Naked Ninja said:
either find a solution
A solution has been found. :D
Cool, so the argument's over, no more whining about piracy?
If there's already a solution, or one just around the corner, it can't be "the death of PC gaming".

I don't think anyone would claim piracy is not a problem, your insistence on labelling anyone who pirates as evil, and claims that the PC market is unviable due to it, are over the top. It could be the PC market as currently organised is unviable (likely a good thing), but there will be a market for some time yet, and it will be catered to in some way.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I missed all these pages in this topic and it was discussed already on the other forum. but

it was not piracy's fault that Crisis sales unsatisfied EA. it was because you had to buy a fucking $300 vcard to at least remotely enjoy the game where 50% is mediocrity. and also because its EA. goddamn it - EA likes to release shit on consoles because consoletards will buy any shit covered with a sperm flavored hype. and look - the popular trend of blaming everything on piracy when you want to dumb down your games for consoletards is here to help you! but oh lol - no console is able to run Crisis. that's why Crytek says the -next game- will be for consoles too.

also its not that Crytek is a good developer and Crisis is not a dumbed down game anyway.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Also the whole demographic argument is lolz, look at how well the Sims sells; maybe they should make more games targeting that?

Yes, they should. The Sims was an innovative game, and unlike most PC games it was popular with girls/women. The only die hard The Sims fan I know is a 30-something woman, she doesn't even know how the whole piracy thing works.

Texas Red

Whiner
skyway said:
I missed all these pages in this topic and it was discussed already on the other forum. but

it was not piracy's fault that Crisis sales unsatisfied EA. it was because you had to buy a fucking $300 vcard to at least remotely enjoy the game where 50% is mediocrity. and also because its EA. goddamn it - EA likes to release shit on consoles because consoletards will buy any shit covered with a sperm flavored hype. and look - the popular trend of blaming everything on piracy when you want to dumb down your games for consoletards is here to help you! but oh lol - no console is able to run Crisis. that's why Crytek says the -next game- will be for consoles too.

also its not that Crytek is a good developer and Crisis is not a dumbed down game anyway.

I agree with the ignorant nazi. How many people can afford to play Crysis in, say, Eastern Europe? None? With their grafix whoring they have effectively eliminated half the world from their potential buyers. If the Wii has shown anything, its that people don't care about uber technology, damn it. Can't they get that through their thick skulls?

The_Pope

Scholar
Judging from the amount of money graphics card companies make, I'd say people do care about uber technology.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Dmitron said:
Crytek gambled and lost, it happens. Rather than blaming piracy, they should blame they're own lack of creativity, the cash thrown at them by hardware vendors desperate to push their next line of GFX cards, and not understanding what their target market wants.

exactly. they spend months/years of hyping the "graphics only highend pc will be able to play" and then they act suprised that this hype backlashed.
graphicwhores would have bought the game anyway, dont you think ? gameplay always played a second role in the previews/hype/interviews..... so is it really suprising that people thought gameplay would also play second role in the game ?

farcry/crysis has fans not only because of the graphics but since its gameplay is refreshingly different from your average shooter (well aside from crysis ending).
from the interview:

PC Play: One of the great things both about Far Cry and Crysis is that there are nearly limitless possibilities for getting through a level. Could you tell us if there are going to be some changes or advances in the sequel regarding that gameplay style?

Cevat Yerli: That has not be decided yet, I cannot really comment on any sequel of future iterations of Crysis.

they arent freaking decided yet on providing the gameplay their fans love ??? how ignorant/stupid is that ? i mean if i were making interviews i d sure as shit tell my fans that of course they will get the gameplay they love in future products too .....just X times better (which would hopefully be the case but even if i was lieing i d claim so).

to me it looks like cevat actually believes himself that people only buy their games because of movie-graphics and doesnt even realize thats not what made farcry/crysis stand out at least partially in a flood of mediocre (SP) FPS.

well, maybe multiplatform is good for one thing, since crytek cant really improve graphics anymore upon crysis when they aim for xbox360/ps3 games too.... MAYBE, just maybe Mr. Yerli realizes there s other things that *could* make crytek games stand out, they are there.... he just didnt notice em yet. (and since he himself apparently didnt, how should the mainstream recognize it ?)

then again , i think the chance is alot higher that they ll simply aim for CoD/Halo clones..... if it isnt movie-like graphics, it must be movie-like story & freedom (or lack of), right ?

another thing that striked me as hilariously stupid on cryteks part (and smart on nvidia s part) was making DX10 the default thing when playing with vista, or artificially enforcing dx10 for certain things (like having physics /time of day in multiplayer)

i cant count how many people i seen bash crysis because it ran lacklustre on their 8800 card ..... when they were told to right click crysis, select "play DX9" everything worked fine and they became happy gamers. and its not like they lost anything from going dx9. custom made configs proved shortly after release that dx10 is a load of bullshit and the only things that it has over dx9 are noway worth the 25% or more FPS drop .
(might be less with some new beta drivers i heard, didnt try it out yet)

really good advertisement there when people with 8800 cards complain about shitty performance in forums , which wouldnt have been a problem if they made dx9 default and dx 10 merely an option (like other games handle it).

maybe cevat should piss off and let one of his smarter brothers take over cause crysis suffered the most from bad marketing, not piracy.

heck look at the codex, this thread had 3-4 posters who bashed the crap out of crysis a few months ago and now actually say its a flawed, but fun game. this thread has 3-4 posters who might say the same in another few months when they have a better pc.

can you blame them ? they marketed the game as a graphicswhores dream for nvdias most loyal customers ..... would maybe have looked different if they marketed it as an actual game (or slowed down on the hype shit in general, and for example spent those 4-5million wasted on launch parties.... into things like.... well getting a half decent setting/story and a longer campaign )

Texas Red

Whiner
The_Pope said:
Judging from the amount of money graphics card companies make, I'd say people do care about uber technology.

They have no choice? Do you see hordes of games with current or last gen grafix being constantly released? Every company tries to push the grafix barrier. Did FO 2 and BG 2 *not sell* because of dated graphics? Nope, both games were ridiculously successful and they depended only on gameplay. Bioware and Black Isle could have made several more titles with the same engine and they would still sell millions but they decided to go next gen and got ass raped instead. They would have sold a new title every single year for millions, now they just have tripled their production time and required funds.

drexciya

Augur
The piracy argument has some merit, but the target audience, lack of retail space and hardware requirements are important as well.

Unless I check on-line it's quite tough to find stores nowadays that have PC games in stock. So people don't see PC gaming in retail represented compared to consoles. When you look at torrents however it's easy; if you're somewhat PC-literate you can download just about anything.

If it has become easier to pirate a game than to buy it legally and most kids nowadays think it's normal to download anyway (especially with music, but this is applying more and more to DVD's and games as well), you definitely have a problem.

However if you target an audience that isn't PC-literate enough or prefers to buy something than there's still money to be made. The Sims and strategy games like the Civilization series are a good example for this.

So when you look at Crysis it's faced with several bad things going against it:
- The target audience is usually PC-literate; so they know how to get it for free.
- The target audience spends money on hardware but thinks it's normal to get the software (any software for that matter!) for free.
- Hardware requirements scare off lots of people who'd still pay for a game. Would you shell out 40-50 euros for a game that can only run in poor resolution on your kit?
- The game Crysis is entering an, in my opinion, overcrowded part of the market. There have been way too many FPS's and I really like to see something new there and not just better grafix.
- Compared to console titles there is less money spent on marketing. Not that it would change much I'd say; who cares about all the hype.

Texas Red

Whiner
So what does the music industry do? You don't even have to pirate anything, just youtube the clip.

DefJam101

Arcane
I fail to see the problem that no one is buying shitty or mediocre games. If all the best PC games had pirating problems this would be a valid argument, but that is not so. When a shitty or mediocre game comes out, it does not sell. Why is this somehow different when people steal it rather than buy it?

Why is it different when a shitty game sells 50,000 copies and when a shitty game sells 50,000 copies and has 35,000 people pirate it? It's like people assume that when you pirate a game it means you love it so much that you NEED to have it, even though you don't have the money. Most games I pirate suck ass, and I just wanted to try them. The only exceptions to that are very old games that aren't sold anymore.

Base your sales numbers on just that; your sales numbers. Stop assuming that people pirated your game because they didn't want to pay for your excellent game. If they didn't have the option of pirating it, 90% of them would not have bought it nor wanted to.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this.

BTW--

Recent games I have pirated:

- Crysis
- Assassin's Creed
- Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 (god these sucked)
- Gears of War (same)

Recent games I have bought:

- Sins of a Solar Empire
- Orange Box
- Mount & Blade (fucking win)
- The Witcher
- NWN: MOTB

Edit:

How exactly is Crysis fresh gameplay-wise? They failed to do anything new besides the nanosuit, which is mostly gimmicks anyways, the only useful tactics that aren't fluff are:
- Stealthing by enemies or hiding from them since you die in 2 hits w/o armor
- Steadying your aim with guns (useless if you have been spotted)
- Speed running past people. Again useless on Delta 90% of the time since if you get shot in armor mode you have no energy to run with.

The difficulty modes are fucktarded.

-Easy mode is too easy.
-Medium is too easy.
-Hard is O.K. with the realistic aiming of NPCs; but them speaking in english and having crosshairs is fucktarded.
-Delta is good for language realism; but boring as hell because the difficulty is just as contrived as every other lame FPS in history. Instead of bumping up the AI to make them harder, they just give them pinpoint aim and a quick response time. Not to mention how idiotic it is to have cars and buildings exploding everywhere and still have these guys shooting as accurate as ever. The only viable tactic is going stealth mode and slowly eliminating them all, or just running by all of them.

I would much prefer the binoculars & language options so be separate from the aiming & damage modifiers. It would erase a lot of the problems I had with the first 2/3 of the game (which were the best, as mentioned).

The plot fucking sucks. Every character is a racial and cultural stereotype and there is not a single drop of B-Movie humour that was in Far Cry. Far Cry had a shit plot too, but it was intended to be shitty and was funny as hell, it almost made up for the glaring difficulty & pacing issues. The ending is... 'nuff said.

The graphics look NOTHING like what was promised. The only mildly original piece of art design in the entire game is the nano suit and the interior of the alien "ship". The aliens themselves are an obvious rip-off of a certain well-known movie series.

While I appreciate the attempt at realism in the bullet modeling; Crysis just fails at it. Korean soldiers can soak up well over 30 bullets from an assault rifle at medium to long range. Even with bullet proof vests, this is horribly unrealistic. The only way to get long distance kills is to use strength mode, which makes no sense; just because you are shooting more accurately doesn't mean that those 2 shots to the chest should be more effective than my 30 shots to the chest.

The flying vehicle section was the most unpleasant experience in gaming I have ever seen.

Honestly the only truly enjoyable thing about the game was the tank battle. Everything else was either executed badly or just plain shallow. It's hardly a shitty game but it's not above mediocrity.

Fez

Erudite
The music industry has been crying about the end of the world with every new medium available to consumers in the past few years. When magnetic tapes were common they were supposedly killing the industry, same for CDs and now the same claim again for downloads. Yet profits are still high and new businesses appear. iTunes is or will probably be Apple's biggest earner in the long run thanks to the buzz over the iPod - and all that built up from a business model that didn't or couldn't exist not long ago. People still pay millions to Apple for music and video downloads too now, despite all the other options available. I guess tapes didn't kill music after all. Maybe those losing money just suck while Apple are good at what they do?

I'm still waiting on the music industry to die thanks to piracy. With all the whining I expected it to be long gone by now.

Keldorn

Scholar
The #1 reason why pirating and torrenting have skyrocketed, is because of corporate monopolization of video games, especially PC games and the CRPG genre.

Just take a look at your local games store / electronics store. Look at the PC shelves / CRPG titles available now compared with 1,2,3,4,5-10 years ago. They have been moved aside in favor of consolitization and solo FPS eye candy clickfests.

The retail scene is no longer diverse, instead, it is a functionally uniform, corporate copy & paste formulaic monopoly based on greedy conformity and easily led masses.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Wow DefJam101 you actually pirated Assasin's Creed?
Like Crysis i won't touch that game with a 10 ft pole even when it makes it to the bargin bin and as a combo sale with Prince of Persia The Two Thrones.
Still you have a point Keldorn, i also think people p2p games because they don't want to blow money on a 60 dollar game only to discover its crap after the fact.
Hell i did that for the original NWN, only after realizing the potential of the multiplayer and that like UT2K4 my friends on macs could play with me did i go out and purchase it (Collector's Edition).
As for the video card companies yes they are reaping mega profits but how much is that from selling uber cards and just your run of the mill budget cards , the kind you need for say hidef video playback and not for getting the best frame rate in the latest so called must have game?
Dropping budget cards into HTPCs seems to be all the rage these days.
The need for an uber card to just playback hidef movies have gone.

Keldorn

Scholar
WK has a point about graphic card obsolesence.

Without turning RPGs into uber-realistic FPS clickfests, they have less need for eye candy, and they can't as readily compel you to get a graphics card upgrade, ram upgrade, or total upgrade.

And as for pirating and torrenting, it will only get MORE popular if people continually see corporate domination forcing variety off the shelves in the favor of market uniformity rather than diversity. Why fund the rampaging, ruthless, oblivious corporate monster and it's mainstream turf ? Those opposing the corporate monopolies will use socialistic sharing and anarchistic copying to thwart it.

The Black Hit Of Space - The Human League

"Been out all night, I needed a bite, I thought Id put a record on
I reached for the one with the ultra-modern label, and wondered where the light had gone
It had a futuristic cover, lifted straight from buck rogers
The record was so black it had to be a con
The autochanger switched as I filled my sandwich
And futuristic sounds warbled off and on

The black hit of space
Its the one without a face
Its the one that doesnt fit
You can only see the flip
The black hit of space
Sucking in the human race
How can it stay at the top
When its swallowed all the shops

As the song climbed the charts, the others disappeared
Til there was nothing but it left to buy
It got to number one, then into minus figures
Though nobody could understand why

The black hit of space
Its the one without a face
Its the one that doesnt fit
You can only see the flip
The black hit of space
Sucking in the human race
How can it stay at the top
When its swallowed all the shops

I couldnt stand this bland sound any more so I walked towards my deck to turn it off
All I could see was the b-side of the disc which had assumed a doughnut shape with the label on the outside rim
I reached for the arm which was less than one micron long but weighed more than saturn and time stood still
I knew I had to escape but every time I tried to flee, the record was in front of me

The black hit of space
Get james burke on the case
Its the hit thats never gone
Time stops when you put it...[on]"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom