Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another PC exclusive developer turns to consoles.

Chefe

Erudite
hello world

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
I am absolutly baffled by the mass of BS and retardedness in this little thread o'mine...

1. People boasting what games they pirated should hide themself somewhere dark and wait patiently for death. I *despise* you.

2. Monopolised Industry - Shoving aside PC titles? Which planet are you from? A Karl Marx version of GameStop? I've been to 3 gamestores last week and let me tell you something: The normal store looks like this: PS2: one shelf; PS3: two thirds of a shelf; X360: half a shelf; Wii: half a shelf; GBA: the bargain box.

PC games: 4 shelves (1 for casual games, though.)

If retailers give so much room for PC games they want them to sell - they need them to sell. I tend to buy at least 1 'new' game per month just to keep the business alive. I bought every of my PS2 preowned, just to keep the business low.

That is the way to keep PC gaming alive. Not by prirateing or eating the crap that is indie gaming (I *still* can't believe people spent money on absolute abyssmal dreck like Depth of Peril or utter shit like Echelon), but supporting interesting games that come out in abundance.

The Dude

Liturgist
While it might be like that in Germany, it certainly isn't how it looks in most game stores around the world. And sometimes you are a fucking moron Brennus. When you have listed your games there have been plenty of crap among them, if you buy crap, you are telling the industry to make crap. What's so fucking hard to understand? I would rather pay Toady $10 a month and buy 5 copies of Mount and Blade than buy shite like Silverfall, Lionheart and Dung Lords. I'm so happy I first pirated those titles and tried them out, so I didn't have to throw away my money. The best thing you can do for the PC gaming industry is buying games that actually good.

Let's try your approach as common law:

If everybody buys every crappy game that comes out: The PC industry will still have all these crappy devs making crappy games.

Contrast:

If everyone only buys games that are good: Many devs will go out of business or will have to change. Good and great devs will flourish and continue making good and great games because that's what people wants.

Of course these outcomes are a bit contrived, but I still think that they are a rough indication on what would happen. Just buying shit games to "support the industry" is idiotic and probably hurting the industry more than helping it.

Araanor

Liturgist
MountainWest said:
The only thing I know is that none of my fellow students or friends buys PC games anymore. They ALL pirate them. If others got evidence that pirating isn't a big problem, then sure, I'll bow down. But it seems pretty evident that there is a problem. A big fucking one. At least in Sweden.
At the same time, games are selling more than ever in Sweden. The growth is probably in consoles, however.

Regardless of piracy, people have a limited amount of money they can spend on entertainment. If they pirate a few crappy PC games instead of buying them, they'll just spend that money somewhere else. Like console games.

There is no real way to stop piracy without destroying the Internet as it is, so crying over the situation is meaningless. What developers need to do is look for ways they CAN earn money. Blizzard did this brilliantly, and that before WoW. Paradox and Stardock are doing fine for niche.

Kraszu

Prophet
I don't know anybody whit console (through I know only few people whit consoles) that brought any legal game, so?

Actually in countries whit big piracy Russia/Poland PC games are selling better then console games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Sir_Brennus said:
People boasting what games they pirated should hide themself somewhere dark and wait patiently for death. I *despise* you.

zomg! I -will- pirate Fallout 3!

Xi

Arcane
The Dude said:

If everybody buys every crappy game that comes out: The PC industry will still have all these crappy devs making crappy games.

Well, in the beginning, reviews, demos, and word of mouth were all good ways to promote a product. The industry is so counter-productive anymore, and pirating a game isn't exactly the solution. Your line of reasoning is that two wrongs make a right, or at least that is how I'm interpreting you.

Common pirate:
"I played the entire game, and then decided I didn't like it, so I didn't buy it...."

It is still possible to read many reviews, watch videos, browse forums, and talk to friends before you make a purchase. I still think this is enough to understand what you are getting yourself into, to lower the risk of wasting your money on "crappy video games made by crappy developers."

Nutcracker

Scholar
skyway said:
Sir_Brennus said:
People boasting what games they pirated should hide themself somewhere dark and wait patiently for death. I *despise* you.

zomg! I -will- pirate Fallout 3!

Ditto.

Dont like it - blow me!

Amon Gesoto

Educated
Xi said:
It is still possible to read many reviews, watch videos, browse forums, and talk to friends before you make a purchase. I still think this is enough to understand what you are getting yourself into, to lower the risk of wasting your money on "crappy video games made by crappy developers."

Most of the people I know who still play mostly PC games don't trust reviewers anymore, a sentiment I share. Sometimes it seems like the only reviewers not talking thru their wallets are dumbasses on youtube or personal websites, but most of them don't judge games in any constructive manner. As for watching videos, it's a crap shot most of the the time since the companies only show the l33t shit, and personal videos only show funny stuff.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Xi said:
Your line of reasoning is that two wrongs make a right, or at least that is how I'm interpreting you.
More like "no one cares how many games you pirate as long as you DO support the devs that deserve it". No one cares which are the games that you didn't pay for, the ones that matter are those that you did pay for.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah! Like serial killers. Sure, killing is evil and stuff, but come on! No one cares which people he killed; the ones that matter are those he didn't kill.

Kraszu

Prophet
Jasede said:
Yeah! Like serial killers. Sure, killing is evil and stuff, but come on! No one cares which people he killed; the ones that matter are those he didn't kill.

There is nothing wrong in pirating only result of pirating can be bad, result of killing is alweys somebody's death, result of pirating can be none.

Fez

Erudite
GeneralSamov said:
Result of pirating = always a sale loss.

What if some kid pirates a thousand dollar art or CAD software package, just because he can get it through filesharing? There's no way he'd have bought it. Is it always a lost sale then?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jasede said:

awesome comparison. but we are speaking about pirating shit games here. then by your comparison it will be like killing terrorists.
it is still bad but it is for graet justice

Kraszu

Prophet
GeneralSamov said:
Well, from the seller's/legal point of view, yes.

There is either sale loss or not, what point of view has to do whit it, you either sell 1 copy more or not.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
The other could be the moral standpoint, but that was beaten to death by NN and the lot, its carcass is still smelling badly, and I don't feel like unburying it anytime soon.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Jasede said:
Yeah! Like serial farters. Sure, farting is evil and stuff, but come on! No one cares which people he farted at; the ones that matter are those that smelled it.
Fixed. (Kill Terrence and Phillip!)

GeneralSamov, do you see every copy pirated as a loss for sales or piracy in general as negative for sales? (Just to be clear)

EDIT:
Xi said:
The Dude said:

Well, in the beginning, reviews, demos, and word of mouth were all good ways to promote a product. The industry is so counter-productive anymore, and pirating a game isn't exactly the solution. Your line of reasoning is that two wrongs make a right, or at least that is how I'm interpreting you.
Brennus said:"I tend to buy at least 1 'new' game per month just to keep the business alive."
The Dude answered Brennus' theory of buying as many PC titles as possible with the argument that one should only buy the games one likes and leave the crappy one to rot.
You somehow managed to go on a tangent that was completely beside the point. (In this argument, at least)

Texas Red

Whiner
I used to pirate a lot of games because they arrived several weeks after the initial release. The game could be already out in Finland, a neighbor country to which I can get by ship in a few hours, but still take weeks before getting here. Bloodlines was out in Finland almost immediately but it arrived to Estonia after 2 fucking months. That was how I learned to torrent.

Plus, what do they expect from Eastern Europe? We can't fucking afford games most of the time because the prices are meant for rich Westerners.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom