Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another PC exclusive developer turns to consoles.

Lemunde

Scholar
The problem is when you design a game exclusively for high end PCs you're catering to a niche market. It's also logical to assume that the majority of pirates have high end PCs. So basically you're catering to pirates.

Keldorn

Scholar
If the retailers were to stock an extreme variety of low to moderately priced mainstream AND indie titles, more would buy them to get the box, and less unpacking/unhacking fiddling.

But the MegaCorps set it up so they wiped out the smaller competitors on the retail shelves, and you can just darn well take your choice between Oblivion and Fallout 3 at your local electronics store.

It's a deficiency on shelves, in stores, of a diversity of low to moderately priced CRPGs.

There used to be such a variety.... (1997-2002) .... now it's all hi-priced Action FPS.

Xi

Arcane
fastpunk said:
PC Mass Effect to validate every ten days, pirates laugh:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...fect-to-validate-every-ten-days-pirates-laugh

No one seems convinced by Bioware's attempt at stopping pirates. Good job fuckin up your customer base!

Pretty interesting read actually, and it lead me to this: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/po ... tid=303512

Which raises a few good points too. The real question will be what happens to these game's sales. If they are low with the DRM, we will most likely start seeing a new trend, if they are high with this DRM, we will see the entire market switch to it. Somehow I don't think the sale of spore will be low because it has an online check for DRM, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Suchy

Arcane
The game can be installed on 3 machines, then stops to work... So if I upgrade my comp 3 times I can't play it anymore?
I'm going to officially pirate it and never buy the original. Or don't give a fuck at all. Not gonna support this DRM anyway.

Oblivion didn't have any copy protection and sold like fresh rolls.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Lemunde said:
The problem is when you design a game exclusively for high end PCs you're catering to a niche market. It's also logical to assume that the majority of pirates have high end PCs. So basically you're catering to pirates.

monkey.jpg

edit- the mouth loks like a pussy

Araanor

Liturgist
Xi said:
Bullshit, provide one if there are "several" studies. These people spend their money on other things, not the shit they download, who'd have thought?
Here are some reports that focuses on music:

http://xml.nada.kth.se/media/Research/M ... s/Reports/
http://xml.nada.kth.se/media/Research/M ... tomers.pdf
http://xml.nada.kth.se/media/Research/M ... es2005.pdf
http://xml.nada.kth.se/media/Research/M ... 051028.pdf (in Swedish)
http://www.rufuspollock.org/economics/p2p_summary.html

I'll keep my feelers out for material that treats other stuff than music and post it here.

PS: If piracy is so horrible for sales, how come the gaming industry just keeps growing and growing?

Licaon_Kter

Augur
Lemunde said:
yarrrrr matey, all that killing and plundering on the sea has it advantages... much gold and silver from the spanish ships buys you alot of pixel shader power and multicores....harharhar

this is the "blame it on Canada" deja-vu
i'll say: blame it on the parents, if you bought your kid a 1000$ PC why the heck don't you buy him a 50$ game each 6 months so that he doesn't pirate it ( but first go to http://www.gamingwithchildren.com/ and read some review and be careful about the ERSBbbrb or whatever )
if your kid has 20gb of download data each month maybe you should look in his folders... maybe it's pr0n...or maybe it's game torrents...

GeneralSamov

Prophet
:wallbash:

The RIAA believes in "intellectual property," which is a fancy way of saying: they believe that they get to own property, and you have to rent it.

:lol:

In substance: One more reason to turn people to piracy. They're basically asking for it :!:

Suchy

Arcane
Heh exactly. If i'd ever 'rent' a drm protected music, during the initial playthrough I'd sample it down to mp3 to get rid of that shit.
For fucks sake, I wanna be able to upload my music on my cellphone and listen on the way to work - it's not possible with DRM crap.
Fuck RIAA, artists should just do what Radiohead did and publish their music themselves as downloadable content. The sad thing is that publishers steal more money from the artists than pirates from publishers. Though wide available broadband Internet will slowly make publishers not needed anymore.
Radiohead actually gave their last album for free with optional discretionary fee. And they profited.

0gh3r

Novice
Sir_Brennus said:
Herbert West said:
Crysis actually made a good profit

Sources, please.

Last I read was that the sales figures in the US were called "disappointing".

http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc/action/egoshooter/1476329/crysis.html

No, they were far from disappointing,

http://kotaku.com/351661/crysis-comeback-moves-1-million-copies

1 million may not seem a lot but most games don't exceed that mark and Crysis did just that while at the same time boasting enthusiast level hardware requirements.

And to the haters, it's a bit ridiculous to bash Crysis for being "all graphics and no gameplay." If you've played the game or at least read into it besides the usual Gamespot tidbit you'd know that there are no games that really compare to the open-ended gameplay of Crysis besides Far Cry.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
0gh3r said:
And to the haters, it's a bit ridiculous to bash Crysis for being "all graphics and no gameplay." If you've played the game or at least read into it besides the usual Gamespot tidbit you'd know that there are no games that really compare to the open-ended gameplay of Crysis besides Far Cry.

Dear sir, I've a feeling the prevailing definition of "open-ended" around here is... not exactly Far Cry.

0gh3r

Novice
Lesifoere said:
0gh3r said:

Dear sir, I've a feeling the prevailing definition of "open-ended" around here is... not exactly Far Cry.
Oh so a game has to have RPG elements as well as open-ended gameplay for it's gameplay to even qualify as open-ended? I hope that definition isn't a measure of ones intelligence else I be booking out of here. ;)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I can't talk for what Lesi meant but on my side I did not find Far Cry to be very open-ended. Sure the maps are big but there aren't many stuff to find there and one general path to follow. Yes, you can choose to stay on the road or go in the bushes but most of the time there is only one correct path to take if you want to avoid the patrols.

The only map I can remember that offered me some real choices on how to get to my objective was the one where you go out of bunker #462 to reach the archives with a mutant rebellion going on. You can choose to go by foot (good luck), get a car or take a glider and from there you have also different routes to take.

If the game offered you more choices in how to tackle the levels, I guess it could be said to be open-ended, as it is it just offered you the illusion to be able to roam the islands while there was little reason to do so.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Crisis? open-ended? no games that compare to Crisis?

...wat?

big map where you can't do anything but go from point A to point B through the bushes or on the road randomly shooting enemies is not something special.
we have loads of games with such gameplay like in this Crisis. we have such gameplay even in mediocre Chrome. which is IIRC 6 years old now.

also it's like Deus Ex never existed. (or if we still will compare games in "big map - shoot enemies from anywhere but still do tasks like we intended" category - Operation Flashpoint and Arma)

0gh3r

Novice
Gragt said:
I can't talk for what Lesi meant but on my side I did not find Far Cry to be very open-ended. Sure the maps are big but there aren't many stuff to find there and one general path to follow. Yes, you can choose to stay on the road or go in the bushes but most of the time there is only one correct path to take if you want to avoid the patrols.

What are you talking about? The entire game is set around you choosing how to complete your objective. Most of the time if not always, I could complete missions in multiple ways. Yes, they didn't affect the outcome but I haven't played an FPS thus far that did that either. :shrug:

0gh3r

Novice
skyway said:
Crisis? open-ended? no games that compare to Crisis?

...wat?
You should play Crysis. ;)

skyway said:
big map where you can't do anything but go from point A to point B through the bushes or on the road randomly shooting enemies is not something special.
Don't make a strawfag out of this. If you can come up with at least five other FPS that allow you to complete missions in a open-ended environment, then Crysis's gameplay isn't as trivial as you think.

we have loads of games with such gameplay like in this Crisis. we have such gameplay even in mediocre Chrome. which is IIRC 6 years old now.
By all means, name these "LOADS" of games.

also it's like Deus Ex never existed. (or if we still will compare games in "big map - shoot enemies from anywhere but still do tasks like we intended" category - Operation Flashpoint and Arma)
Comparing Dues Ex to full-blown FPS titles is like comparing Diablo to Baldur's Gate.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I already named some - and they mostly did it better than Crisis.

Comparing Dues Ex to full-blown FPS titles is like comparing Diablo to Baldur's Gate.
and? are there many differences between Diablo and Baldur's Gate? both are hack'n'slashes, only BG has a bigger world and a slight illusion of non-linearity and roleplay.
Deus Ex and Crisis are both FPSes and both have free-roaming levels. only Deus Ex has more in it than just shooting. why can't I compare them?

What are you talking about? The entire game is set around you choosing how to complete your objective. Most of the time if not always, I could complete missions in multiple ways. Yes, they didn't affect the outcome but I haven't played an FPS thus far that did that either. :shrug:

Deus Ex, Operation Flashpoint, Armed Assault.
in DX you had choices sometimes that could affect how storyline and missions will go next time
and in OpF and ArmA the completion of secondary objectives and missions plus even if you failed to complete your task - affected the further missions.
Chrome's levels are big free-roaming islands where you have a set of objectives and then you go and complete them - reminds of something? but uh oh - Chrome even had 3 different endings which depended on your choice in the last mission. and needless to say that these choices affected how that last mission will be played. and Chrome is mediocre. if not shitty sometimes.
did you play those games?
but really after OpF - Crisis feels like a flaming mediocrity.

0gh3r

Novice
skyway said:
I already named some - and they mostly did it better than Crisis.
You named what, three? Alright, three games with the same gameplay as Crysis doesn't make it the gameplay of Crysis any less unique. Open-ended gameplay in a FPS is not common at all.

and? are there many differences between Diablo and Baldur's Gate? both are hack'n'slashes, only BG has a bigger world and a slight illusion of non-linearity and roleplay.
Can be disputed later me thinks.

sky said:
Deus Ex and Crisis are both FPSes and both have free-roaming levels. only Deus Ex has more in it than just shooting. why can't I compare them?
Because the gameplay is like apples and oranges. Crysis is a full-blown FPS, Dues Ex is like System Shock; the gameplay revolves heavily around other aspects besides "shooting."

Now even if I concede to your point(Which I'm not), it doesn't change the fact that open-ended gameplay is largely rare in an FPS and much less, done well. Therefore, to say that Crysis's gameplay is not unique is wrong.

MetalCraze

Arcane
0gh3r said:
the gameplay revolves heavily around other aspects besides "shooting."
is that a problem of Deus Ex? you can still complete Deus Ex by shooting everything - like any FPS including Crisis.

unique is when nothing else has it.
rare is much correct word.
then again the initial point was that Crisis has its "unique" gameplay done poorly compared to other, even rare games - because you've said no game can be compared to Crisis in its free-roaming shooting which is defined as Crisis' gameplay. (let's not forget that in the second half of the game Crisis becomes a generic linear shooter)

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Tbh, I didn't find Far Cry too open ended, either. But yeah, it was fun to choose stealth over CHAAARGEE and go :Garrett: through it, if not for anything else, to listen to the random conversations between mercs, e.g. "Are we doing the right thing?" "As long as we're at work, it doesn't matter" or something similar. Merc philosophy ftw :P

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
"Your ass is grass!"

"I'm gonna open a can of whoop-ass on you!"

etc.

Those mercs sure had interesting things to say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom