Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter AntharioN

GamesInquirer

Literate
I'm a backer but I like sharing and haven't signed any NDA so, the new feature is the ability to travel by and own multiple ships. SWEET.
image-316367-full.jpg

I wonder how deep they will go with it, travel is one perhaps superficial thing but if they allow ownership surely there's something more to it.

Can't wait to see how the art style has developed, though personally I was quite fond of its super deformed look anyway, contrary to many folks.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Looks interesting, I dig the sprites, somehow they remind me of some of the characters in Simon the Sorcerer.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
New video:

Without knowing much about the depth of the combat or other systems in the game, I think it looks damn good.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
How is he killing a beholder with a fireball? LORE ALERT LORE ALERT!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Were you guys seriously expecting Zamboni Boy to actually release a product?
:hmmm:

Alchemist

Arcane
The footage looks great... but one-shotting a beholder is just so wrong. Seriously though, the game looks fun... despite silly-looking heads.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bump. I saw there was a backer-only update for this about a week ago.

Can somebody share, please?

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nothing interesting.

Progress Update 3/5

Hey guys, this month we've done a ton of work, I'd say it's probably been our most productive month yet. Tons of bug fixes, major technical upgrades to the engine and editor (mostly for increased stability). We also swapped out our old font-rendering system for a new custom one which renders higher quality fonts at a reduced performance cost. We upgraded our renderer considerably in order to increase stability and speed. We've done a ton of work on the story as well, and, as a consequence we've decided to make the Necrophil race non-playable - sorry that'll only leave 6 playable races ;)

The world is turning out to be way way bigger than we originally planned and managing it's growth has been a unique challenge. We spent two full weeks alone just upgrading our in-game editor's capabilities. Everything is entirely drag and drop now, which opens up the possibility for us of one day releasing the editor publicly. We even managed to do a little bit on the art front including five new monsters and a bunch of redone desert tiles. Overall we are very very happy with the current state and course of the project and once again we greatly appreciate all of your continued patience and support!

ef4ce10c0e52440588cac7adfde9bea1_large.png

da_rays

Augur
Damn , me too , almost ashamed that i didnt KS'd this. This look swwet! AND BOAT! FREAKING NAVAL BASE! I like that. Keep posting those updates backers , you got at least 1 curious mind of how all of this will birth , and if that child is :incline: or not.

I got a good feeling about this , hope it will feed my need when its release. After Blackguard , MMX , MMIV-V , SRR , Planescape 2nd run , im a bit dry here for some cRPGs

for now....!

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's the full update:
Project Update #34: Progress Update
backer_white-95502e2adb38cf5c7fb9a70083a0d7d0.png
For backers only Posted by Orphic Software
Hey guys, I'd like to start out today's update by announcing that Antharion has officially been green lit on Steam! Obviously this is a great thing for Antharion as it will allow us to reach a lot more people so we're very excited. Thanks so much everyone for you help in getting us on Steam!

It's no secret by now that Antharion, like most other similarly scoped/understaffed/underfunded projects, is running late on it's scheduling. We're really very appreciative that you guys have been so patient and understanding in these regards. And since we're frequently being asked for ETAs we're going to throw out some worst case scenario release dates... Release: Dec 5th 2014; Beta: November 5th 2014. Alpha September 15th 2014. Keep in mind that this is a very broad window and in all likelihood some or all of these ETAs will be moved forward in time to earlier dates.

For the past couple of weeks we've been working on Antharion's intro sequence. One thing that's always bothered me about intros is how disconnected they often are from the actual game's look and feel. With Antharion we're trying to make the intro's look and feel as consistent as possible with the actual game world. The intro consists of five images. Each image is a set of layers that scroll or move independently of the other layers to create subtle parallax scrolling effects that serve to reinforce a sense of depth and perspective. The main purpose of the intro is to twofold: (1) to connect the title screen and character creation interfaces with the actual game world; and (2) to setup the backdrop for the game world. The intro sequence begins with a cosmic shot looking down at the world of Antharion from a planetary perspective. Each success shot zooms in closer and closer until you find yourself inside of the game's starting dungeon (connected to the town below via a well). This provides a pretty seamless connection between Antharion's interface and the actual game. The sequence also has a markedly cinematic quality which helps with the overall smoothness of story and background narration. We also crafted a pretty cool looking death sequence where when the last player dies, his spirit ascends to the sky in alignment with the other party member's spirits already floating above, as the scene fades out to a cosmic scene.

Technically we're on very solid ground. No major bugs remaining. We've got our memory footprint down to around 170MB. Our bundle size is at 82MB uncompressed. We're running on very old machines with great frame rates and stability. And we're in the midst of the Windows port which is going nice and smoothly thanks mostly to a highly portable codebase. Additionally we added a load screen progress indicator consisting of an animated medieval-looking hour glass along with a message indicating what is currently being loaded. We've managed to consolidate all major loads into a single large one that takes place upon opening the application (post-launcher of course). We're also currently working on Antharion's icon, which is actually a set of icons ranging from between 16x16 and 1024x1024 pixels. Each icon has to be made from scratch basically since resizing (even scaling in powers of two) destroys the images. The current design is a blackish castle set against a moon and a purple night starry sky background. It's looking pretty cool and conveys pretty well the tone, look and feel of Antharion.

One major gameplay change we've made is to make the player start out on an island off of the coast of Antharion's mainland. The first overarching goal (which is part of the main quest line) is to figure out how to get off the island and onto the mainland. You'll be able to do this in several different ways including through boat acquisition. I also would like to take a moment just to reiterate the importance of exploration in Antharion. There are tons and tons of random little islands to explore on which you'll find all kinds of cool and surprising stuff. All of this stuff is totally optional, but if you're inclined to explore you'll be duly rewarded. However boat travel does not come without a cost. You'll need an adequate stock of supplies, as the farther you travel the more supplies are consumed. So you can easily imagine being stuck and left to rot on a desert island somewhere without any supplies. If you travel far enough by boat in any one direction, you'll eventually loop around to your starting point as on any real planet.

62a1b1f780e5e79b75c3d6d021a395e8_large.png

[The above screenshot actually consists of a series of independent layers that parallax scroll over one another to create an exaggerated but realistic sense of depth and perspective]

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Thanks, appreciate it.

The part about exploring islands and rotting away due to forgetting about supplies totally scratches the right spot for me.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Any of you guys have a clue on why they're not doing the whole "Paypal pre-order" thing? Most projects do it after the KS is done.

Mark Dubya

Literate
Just saw there's another KS update (still not public, fer cryin' out loud) - would an insider mind posting it for the masses? Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom