Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anthony Davis leaving Obsidian

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Things just got INTENSE

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
Nah, no drama.

I'm from Texas originally and I am at a point in my life where I am ready to start a family and be near my family again. The offer I received was a great opportunity.

Also, while Obsidianites don't post here, you can be assured we still read the forums.

So, are you allowed to say what studio will you be joining? Or are you leaving the rpg sector/industry.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Blackadder said:
That is a pity. He enjoyed oldschool games, not that this had any effect on Obsidian unfortunately...

There's not much Obsidian can do when Publishers want Yet Another Shitty Action Game With Little Or No RPG Mechanics #898476534.

Sad to see you go Mr. Anthony Davis. :(

But good luck to you and your family.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
IronicNeurotic said:
Anthony Davis said:
Nah, no drama.

I'm from Texas originally and I am at a point in my life where I am ready to start a family and be near my family again. The offer I received was a great opportunity.

Also, while Obsidianites don't post here, you can be assured we still read the forums.

So, are you allowed to say what studio will you be joining? Or are you leaving the rpg sector/industry.

I joined TimeGate Studios.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
No drama? That's no fun.

How'd you get into the games industry anyway? I've been interested in the vidya gaems industry for a while, and wouldn't mind a cool bro story.

Jason

chasing a bee
So Anthony, care to dish any Obsidian dirt? Is it true that Feargus forces the QA staff to act out scenes from Rankin-Bass holiday specials while wearing ball-gags and saran wrap? Please note that there is no judgment implied in the question.

curry

Arcane
Jason sucks black cock said:
Best of luck with everything Anthony. Can you be a bro though and answer a burning question: who owns the rights to the Arcanum license, and how much would the license cost if one wanted to lease it to do a pnp rpg out of it?

sup drog

Black

Arcane
Jason said:
So Anthony, care to dish any Obsidian dirt?

Screw that, we need spicy MCA x TC dirt :M

Good luck in TimeGate, they made Kohan games which I found so good and hard.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anthony Davis said:
Nah, no drama.

:salute:

Best of luck.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anthony Davis said:
Nah, no drama.

Seeing Obsidian devs post here, or reading the Codex always makes me feel good. Good luck to you Sir!

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Icewater said:
No drama? That's no fun.

How'd you get into the games industry anyway? I've been interested in the vidya gaems industry for a while, and wouldn't mind a cool bro story.

I was recruited out of college to work for Netscape, if any of you guys are old enough to remember the browser wars. After AOL bought Netscape, things went downhill pretty quick and I decided to try and join the game industry - specifically Black Isle.

I didn't have any experience making video games, so a friend and I made a game for the Palm Pilot called Aldon's Crossing. Aldon's Crossing was a pretty advanced RPG for such a device and it even ended up winning RPG of the Year for the Palm Pilot for the year 2003... or was it 2002? I don't remember.

Using that as experience, I applied at Black Isle. I received an email from Chris Avellone that this wasn't a good time. Shortly after that Black Isle closed its doors.

A little while later, I found out about Obsidian and I applied there. It took a while, but I was eventually hired, I think in large part because I had made a game and sold it.

That's the short version.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Jason sucks black cock said:
Best of luck with everything Anthony. Can you be a bro though and answer a burning question: who owns the rights to the Arcanum license, and how much would the license cost if one wanted to lease it to do a pnp rpg out of it?

I used to ask Chris Jones this ALL the time. I think he and I both would like nothing better than to make a sequel to that game.

However I believe Activision owns the license.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Black said:
Jason said:
So Anthony, care to dish any Obsidian dirt?

Screw that, we need spicy MCA x TC dirt :M

Good luck in TimeGate, they made Kohan games which I found so good and hard.

Chris Avellone is amazing, awesome, and generous friend. He works REALLY hard and is constantly writing. Many times he is one of the first designers in, and last ones out. He often also works on weekends even when there isn't a crunch.

I only got to work with Tim Cain for about a month, but he is super talented and super nice.

The Kohan games are amazing - probably my favorite RTS of all time.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Jason said:
So Anthony, care to dish any Obsidian dirt? Is it true that Feargus forces the QA staff to act out scenes from Rankin-Bass holiday specials while wearing ball-gags and saran wrap? Please note that there is no judgment implied in the question.

Not since the accident.

BTW, the ball-gag is just to enforce proper nose breathing when doing cardio.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good luck in Texas, Mr. Davis! It must be nice to come home.

All the best.

Xi

Arcane
All good things eventually come to an end. It's unfortunate, but at least you are headed toward something else exciting. Good luck sir!

Repressed Homosexual
The gaming industry looks like a really ungrateful places by all accounts, and a young man's game. I wonder how many will remain part of it once they're nearing middle age. I'd much rather work all my life on super boring, plain database programming like I do and get paid much more with 20x less drama and overtime.

Phelot

Arcane
Oh no a dev, quick, dish out racial slurs!!

Good luck, bro!

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
To Davis:

wtf is wrong with your quoting? it looks right but i guess the boards dont like you?

IF you are going to work on an RTS... as your source of inspiration use Dark Reign 1/2 and supreme commander 1, not 2.

not the dumbed down garbage that gets churned out nowadays. supreme commander 2 was a huge dissapointment. 1 is still fricking awesome.

to the board admins:

find out why quoting isnt working for him and fix that shizz.

and dont forget to change his "developer" title to reflect his new company.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
TheWesDude said:
IF you are going to work on an RTS... as your source of inspiration use Dark Reign 1/2 and supreme commander 1, not 2.

not the dumbed down garbage that gets churned out nowadays. supreme commander 2 was a huge dissapointment. 1 is still fricking awesome.
I don't think he'll have much control over this...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom