Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Any games like Ultima 5

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'm playing through U5 and it blows my mind how good and satisfying the game is. Are there any games like that besides other Ultimas? By "like that" I mean RPGs that are more about exploration, gathering information and solving riddles than story or combat.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, there are some other Ultima games...
But U5 was the best of the original Ultimas. The Ultima 6 Project remake using the Dungeon Siege engine is even better IMO.
Also, The Magic Candle, although somewhat more combat intensive.

Absalom

Inb4 sandalwood box changes your opinion of 'gathering information and solving riddles'

Inb4 sandalwood box changes your opinion of 'gathering information and solving riddles'

I was aware of the sandalwood box trick beforehand. But seriously it's not that bad. The game teaches you how to play a piano and makes sure that you know how to play it, so it would make you think it's useful for something. There are just a few pianos in the game, one of which is in British's private chambers and multiple people direct you to them. Bandai himsels, a guy in some keep who directs you to Bandai and a little stable girl in castle Britannia who also directs you to Bandai.

Absalom

I was aware of the sandalwood box trick beforehand. But seriously it's not that bad. The game teaches you how to play a piano and makes sure that you know how to play it, so it would make you think it's useful for something. There are just a few pianos in the game, one of which is in British's private chambers and multiple people direct you to them. Bandai himsels, a guy in some keep who directs you to Bandai and a little stable girl in castle Britannia who also directs you to Bandai.
Seriously wasn't that bad? Yeah it must be nice to play this after the internet became popular.

Also, LOL at that 'Well they taught me to play a piano so it has to be useful for SOMETHING' metagaming.

Bandai just told you about the magic carpet, which is a good enough item that most people would assume it was the only thing in LB's chambers.

Seriously wasn't that bad? Yeah it must be nice to play this after the internet became popular.

Also, LOL at that 'Well they taught me to play a piano so it has to be useful for SOMETHING' metagaming.

Bandai just told you about the magic carpet, which is a good enough item that most people would assume it was the only thing in LB's chambers.

Well he also tells you that Stones is Lord British favorite and gives you a code how to play it so it's not wrong to assume that players would play stones on every piano they encounter. I'm not saying that it's bad. Just not bad enough to make people dislike the whole game style. It's not half as bad as the famous rat in the desert trick for example.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm playing through U5 and it blows my mind how good and satisfying the game is. Are there any games like that besides other Ultimas? By "like that" I mean RPGs that are more about exploration, gathering information and solving riddles than story or combat.

All of the Ultimas from U4 to U7 are like that to some extent, but U5 nailed that 8-bit tiled open world RPG experience like few other games. It should have been in the Top 3 in that Best RPGs of the 1980s poll. Arguably the Top 1. But U4 has more hype.

But U5 was the best of the original Ultimas. The Ultima 6 Project remake using the Dungeon Siege engine is even better IMO.
Also, The Magic Candle, although somewhat more combat intensive.

Surely you meant Ultima V: Lazarus. Which is what Gangrelrumbler should play sometime if he really likes U5 that much, but he probably needs to take a break!

Last edited:
Just Ultimas and one other game series? To be honest I've expected a bit more considering the fact that earlier Ultimas had a lot of clones. Guess I'm really out of luck. I've even tried some Nazgul game that was made specifically in order to copy Ultima 5 but after encountering an NPC that gave me a "kill the bandits" quest I gave up. Will definitely check that Magic Candle series though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just Ultimas and one other game series? To be honest I've expected a bit more considering the fact that earlier Ultimas had a lot of clones. Guess I'm really out of luck.

Hey, hey, don't jump to conclusions before more people have replied to your thread. There's probably more stuff out there that can scratch your itch.

Luzur

Good Sir
Well Phantasie series are kinda like Ultima, along with Questron, Demons Winter, Shard of Spring, Albion and Ambermoon.

All i can think of atm from memory.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Surely you meant Ultima V: Lazarus. Which is what Gangrelrumbler should play sometime if he really likes U5 that much, but he probably needs to take a break!

No, I meant U6P. U5 was good in its original form, but I found U6 unplayable and needed the remake, which was surprisingly good. Lazarus is on my play list, though.

Morkar Left

Like already mentioned Magic Candle / Bloodstone.
Amberstar/Ambermoon (but they rely on trash combat and information gathering is not really there). Fallout 1/2 are actually like that (minus riddles). Starflight and Planets Edge are actually heavy on exploration and information gathering (but have bad char progression, PE has none at all). Not quite the same style but maybe RoA 2 and the Quest for Glory ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterStone

Arcane
Is there another game like U5? No, there is not. Later games were either inferior in every way, or were took a totally different design path, so they did not invite direct comparison. I waited and waited for something like U5, but it was the the last of that generation of game development, and the new generation was a massive jump away (if not definitively forward).

Trololol, I figured out the Stones puzzle when I was 12, playing the game by myself, no hint materials. Younger generationg blarg blarg, cellphones, blargblarg spoiled, mwarghargh, social media, blarghblargh, attention spans...

Actually, if you played this game out of the box, the manual or other game media had a written notation for how to play Stones. And back then this stuff was always significant. It might have even been considered copy protection. So that made the solution more obvious.

Also the explorer diary told you how to find LB, and I am sure on in-box media had hints scatteted about. It was just a different experience from today, where you have in-game documentation and hints, quest compasses etc.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well Phantasie series are kinda like Ultima

Only in appearance. At heart Phantasie is more like Wizardry and other blobbers, in that the game is mostly combat, is quite linear, and there isn't really that much to figure out.

Absalom

Trololol, I figured out the Stones puzzle when I was 12, playing the game by myself, no hint materials. Younger generationg blarg blarg, cellphones, blargblarg spoiled, mwarghargh, social media, blarghblargh, attention spans...

Actually, if you played this game out of the box, the manual or other game media had a written notation for how to play Stones. And back then this stuff was always significant. It might have even been considered copy protection. So that made the solution more obvious.

Also the explorer diary told you how to find LB, and I am sure on in-box media had hints scatteted about. It was just a different experience from today, where you have in-game documentation and hints, quest compasses etc.
Hurr durr except I stated myself I played it before the internet as a child. Try harder.

And the problem wasn't goddamn Stones, it was recognizing the fact that the random box was the plot important item, not the super useful magic carpet in the same location.

If you complete the whole Oppression subplot Saduj will outright tell you that it's essential for British to return and that it's hidden in his chamber.

V_K

Arcane
Magic Candle series is arguably your best bet in terms of overall structure (travelling around the word, gathering clues, etc). You could also try Tunnels&Trolls, although it has a very different style, emphasizing CYOA-style encounters.

:Flash:

Arcane
Excelsior - Phase One: Lysandia

It is kind of funny how Excelsior Phase One is so close to the style of Ultima V, but was released after Ultima VI, and Excelsior Phase Two mimics Ultima VI, but was released five years after Ultima VIII. It's like you can track how long the creators took to make it

Last edited:

MisterStone

Arcane

Hurr durr except I stated myself I played it before the internet as a child. Try harder.

And the problem wasn't goddamn Stones, it was recognizing the fact that the random box was the plot important item, not the super useful magic carpet in the same location.

All I'm saying is, it wasn't a huge quest continuity problem... I think it was mentioned that there were few harpsichords (not pianos ffs) in the game, so I just played the tune on every one until it paid off. My logic was extraneous to anything in the game: the in-box materials include detailed info about something, it must be important. I talked to whoever tells you about the box after I found the thing, simply because rooting around everywhere was how adventure games of all kinds were played, especially Ultimas.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A seemingly obvious suggestion would be Divinity: Original Sin. Well, I can't say it de-emphasizes combat, but structurally it's a love letter to U7. The whole story is about going from place to place and investigating suspicious activities.

BigWeather

Augur
Any time I need to learn a new technology I set about re-creating as much of Ultima V as I can (before I've learned what I need and lose interest). Did it to learn XNA, Unity, and now working on a HTML5/TypeScript version. Amazing game, my favorite plot, world detail, tileset, and music of all the Ultimas.

rezaf

Cipher
A seemingly obvious suggestion would be Divinity: Original Sin. Well, I can't say it de-emphasizes combat, but structurally it's a love letter to U7. The whole story is about going from place to place and investigating suspicious activities.

Wait, what?
_____
rezaf

lurker3000

Arcane
The reason so many people say U5 is one of the best (if not the best) RPG around is because there is nothing else really like it. U4 is U5 lite and U6 goes in another direction. The Wizardry and M&M series are more combat focused. I would say games like Wasteland and FO1 are sort of like it in spirit (exploring, talking to npcs, figuring out the puzzle) but overall U5 stands alone.

Also me and a buddy figured out the stones thing from the manual the first time we entered British's room. I don't think we even talked to Kenneth about it.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Morrowind. Seriously, just don't enchant anything or make any potions or any spells. Also don't "buy" any training. Lastly get better heads/bodies and widescreen mod.

Read everything. Profit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom