Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good Pirate RPGs?

mondblut

Arcane
Currently playing return to monkey island and it made me want to play a pirate themed rpg with actual pirate roleplaying, wonder if anything good is out there?

Unless you have played Sid Meier's Pirates! already, disregard any other suggestion.

Unless you enjoy retarded QTE in place of boarding action, disregard the suggestion above.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Sink Again was quite pleasant, turn based affair:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1422090/Sink_Again/

It seems that is no longer on steam, don't know why.

Since many people asking why the game is not available on the Steam I decided to make a post here.
I'm from Ukraine. I'm the only developer of the Sink Again. Right now my country is on fire. People die, cities destroy.
But Steam continue work in ruzzia. While my citizens are dying ruzzians have access to the games on Steam. They playing games and don't care.
So the game is unavailble until Steam turn off access to russians. Until it works there. Me and my other friends (indie developers) don't want to have partnership with Steam.
I don't care if some of you disagree. This is my decision.
And sorry for those would agree with me and wanted to buy a game. If you really want to play just get it via torrent. I know there is lot of sources where people pirate my game.
So you're only way to become a pirate in Sink Again is to become a pirate in real life.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Currently playing return to monkey island and it made me want to play a pirate themed rpg with actual pirate roleplaying, wonder if anything good is out there?

Unless you have played Sid Meier's Pirates! already, disregard any other suggestion.

Unless you enjoy retarded QTE in place of boarding action, disregard the suggestion above.
B-but that's how you get wife in that game.

Gregz

Arcane

Can you not find the escape key? Although it's true, if you specifically want a boarding minigame you won't find it there.

mondblut

Arcane

Can you not find the escape key? Although it's true, if you specifically want a boarding minigame you won't find it there.

I want a boarding COMBAT, not a boarding "minigame".

Gregz

Arcane

I want a boarding COMBAT, not a boarding "minigame".

Like this?

exodus-ultima-iii_21.png

Vic

Savant
"Pirate-themed choice and consequence" means will you rob this spanish ship, thus losing your reputation with Spain, or not? All of the privateer games have this kind of CC.
But if you want a generic rpg in naval setting try POE Deadfire. It has sabres and tricorn hats. Don't remember if you can rob caravans.
I guess what I mean is I want a game in which I can roleplay a pirate, like Captain Jack Sparrow or Guybrush Threepwood, and send him on a pirate themed campaign.

So far a lot of suggestions have been posted here and I'm slowly making my way through them but I thought to maybe specify what type of game I'm kinda in the mood now. So far Risen seems okay I guess, but I'll have to play it to see how much roleplaying it allows.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
NWN's Pirates of the Sword Coast module
thank you, I was waiting for somebody to mention a NWN module. Is it any good?

Edit: I just saw it came with my version of the game, so I'm going to try this out right now!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Like this?

exodus-ultima-iii_21.png

Anything's better than gay retarded QTE minigames, even two rows of numbers ticking down.

The numbers do tick down though, when you're fencing with the other captain. In fact, you could call the fencing "boarding combat" because your performance determines the performance of your crew.
It is still massively simplified from original Pirates! where you couldn't drive other captain off the edge.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
The Pirates! remake has fun minigames when you're playing on the hardest difficulty. The final fight with Marquis Montalban is brutal. The animations and music are great at making the game feel like a classic pirate movie like Captain Blood or Against All Flags.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
In Sea Dogs you can have a flotilla of Man-o-wars and battle the great powers at sea and plunder cities. I think you can even create your own independent state in one of the Age of Pirates/Corsairs games that Sea Dogs is based on. If you never played these games you are missing out. Best comparison I can think of is Mount and Blade in the Caribbeans.

Vic

Savant
In Sea Dogs you can have a flotilla of Man-o-wars and battle the great powers at sea and plunder cities. I think you can even create your own independent state in one of the Age of Pirates/Corsairs games that Sea Dogs is based on. If you never played these games you are missing out. Best comparison I can think of is Mount and Blade in the Caribbeans.
I'm trying to decide between Sea Dogs:TEHO and Risen, how would you compare the two?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Risen is also more polished game, even with its Piranha Bytes jank, but it's RPG in the end and Sea Dogs is more of an open ended do what you want kind of game. It's also actually a pirate game after the terrible land beginning/introductory part, you know ship battles, trade etc.

Last edited:

Dick

Educated
Maybe not quite an RPG... but rather a tactics game, but it´s kind of a forgotten gem
The Ancient Art of War at Sea

713-the-ancient-art-of-war-at-sea-dos-screenshot-the-battlefield.gif

716-the-ancient-art-of-war-at-sea-dos-screenshot-the-perfect-board.gif

EDIT: Old One, yeah there are quite a few games from the past that are theoretically very good but objectivle a bit outdated by now. Quite a few of them would deserve a faithful remake, because they were not bad at all...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom