Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good turn based RPGs?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Do you know any good TB-RPGs, excluding Fallout?

I was playing NWN2, but I got tired of the Diablo style combat, in which everything is fast paced and when you always fight forces which outnumber you ten times you own, but still they do not provide a challenge.

So, do you know any good TB-RPG where you can fight more strategically? Thanks!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Realms of Arkania series (3 games), Jagged Alliance 1 & 2, ToEE, the Spiderweb games to a certain extent.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
TOEE doesn't have good turn based combat. It has good turn based combat system. BIG difference.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Realms of Arkania series (3 games), Jagged Alliance 1 & 2, ToEE, the Spiderweb games to a certain extent.

While the Arkania games are excellent the combat isn't their strong point. For some excellent turn-based combat I'd go straight to ToEE or Jagged Alliance 1 & 2. And if it's the turn-based combat you're after first and foremost, check out Silent Storm and Silent Storm: Sentinels. The Realms of Arkania games are mandatory CRPGs though.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Magic Candle 2! That takes me back...my first RPG ever, played on the old 486.

Problem was it was piss-easy (looking back now, at age 10 or so it was a fun grind). Get all your wizards to memorise Disappear, Shatter, Fireball and Acidball and you could basically win any combat.

Anyway i'll throw Betrayal at Krondor into the mix if you want real old school. Great game.

Sarvis

Erudite
ViolentOpposition said:
No Arcanum suggestions?

He said GOOD turn based combat.

Elhoim said:

<i>Good</i> TB-RPGs already excludes Fallout...

A couple of people have mentioned ToEE, but I'd add the Gold Box series if you're willing to go oldschool. On the console side I'd recommend Final Fantasy X, and Final Fantasy Tactics (but not Tactics Advance.) Oh yeah, also on the console end is Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. There's other games in that series, but Dragon Quarter is easily the best... especially it's combat system.

suibhne

Erudite
Wizardry 8 isn't turn-based, but I think it's actually good phase-based combat if you can deal with blob parties.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Okay, I played Wiz 8 about three times. Explain why it isn't turn-based. Or did you accidentally hit the "phase-based combat" button during battle?

suibhne

Erudite
It's not turn-based because you don't take turns. :lol:

Is this discussion really going to happen yet again?

EDIT: OH EM EFF GEE. I just Googled "turn-based phase-based" to save the trouble of re-typing the whole goddamn discussion for the umpteenth time, and the very first hit was RPGCodex. :D Ask and ye shall receive.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Then there's something wrong with you.

Final Fantasy Tactics (but not Advance) I will second. The game is one of those easy-to-learn but complex games. It's got an entertaining story, you can approach battle in many different ways (ways that actually feel different). It's a fun game. FFT: Advance is ass.

Crichton

Prophet
FFt kicks ass. And this is from a guy who hates the Japanese, and generally all people that arent white.

I still prefer tactics ogre, though I admit that the constant level-grinding drives me up the wall.

Zomg

Arbiter
I like FFT, but it needs a caveat. You need to play it straight through without consciously trying to build up your characters, because the difficulty curve is very brittle. There's an earlier game in the genre called Vandal Hearts that I vaguely remember, and it has pretty much the same gameplay except that there's no chance to fight random battles between storyline stuff, meaning you're pretty well nailed to the intended power curve.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Elhoim said:

I was playing NWN2, but I got tired of the Diablo style combat, in which everything is fast paced and when you always fight forces which outnumber you ten times you own, but still they do not provide a challenge.

Wizardry 8, as a recent fully 3D game in the grand tradition of the holy grail of RPGs, Wizardry in all of it's turn based combat goodness. (Note to the wary: Combats take exponentially longer as the game progresses so be prepared at a certain point if you only have a limited amount of time to play to make extremely slow progress... 1st person)

In an older style, yet still a more recent game: Devil Whiskey, basically Bard's Tale I with updated grafix... (1st person)

Darklands had an EXCELLENT combat system, but it's graphics weren't so hot, and combat was it's best trick... (3rd person)

M&M 3 & Worlds of Xeen still had turn based combat IIRC. (1st person)

The old AD&D gold box games didn't have bad turn based combat. (2D top down) As a matter of fact pretty much any non-1st person and excluding Dark Sun, Hillsfar, etc. SSI RPG had good tactical combat.

Realms of Arkania games had turn based combat IIRC. (3rd person isometric 2D)

(Alright pretty much most of the RPGs pre-dating Daggerfall were turn based with a few exceptions. Go wander through the RPG section of the underdogs site for the older games...)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The first Vandal Hearts was quite good. I remember playing that as a kid and thinking it was pretty good, until FFT blew it away. Although Kartia, another little-known SJRPG from Atlus, totally owns and rapes all over FFT in all ways.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't hate the japanese, only the people who love japanese crap.

cutterjohn

Cipher
LCJr. said:
Darkland is RTwP.
Oops. My bad. In looking back at it now, i guess that I sort of do remember it being real time, however it must have been well enough implemented to not be annoying. (That or it was fairly unique, which it would have been at the time.)

It's still a decent game with fun combat, but it can be a bit brutal and buggy with map generation at times...

Hmmm.... must be time to re-install this under DOSBOX again once I've cleared off some of my recent acquisitions (HL2, TQ, DS2, DD) and finishing up NWN1 and a few other loose ends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom