Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any jrpgs i should play?

v1rus

Arcane
Well, the title.

Back when i was in my early teens, I loved the hell out of jrpgs. Favs being trpgs, and among them Shining Force series, and FFT/ FFTA. Out of straight jrpgs i greatly enjoyed Suikoden series, :obviously: Final Fantasies (IV and VI mainly) and, say, Chrono Trigger.

Its been a long time since i played jrpgs (i think that GC Fire Emblem was the last one, like 8 years ago, quit somewhere near the end). But, for some reason, got an itch to give them another chance.

I'm a story fag, who likes niec visuals (not necessarily new, just nice). Any great games I've been missing?

I remember Mother/Earthbound were hailed as second coming of Jesus Christ, but I didnt enjoy them back then, prolly cause I was a kid and thus couldnt appreciate its "magical reenactment" of childhood. Are they worth a shot?

Hyperion

Arcane
Lost Odyssey is probably the pinnacle of storyfag JRPG with nice visuals. The short stories are delightfully written and translated.

Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria still looks pretty good to this day, and if you're a Norse mythology fan will certainly tickle your fancy.

Shadow Hearts 2 is also excellent, and mixed in some great offbeat, and off color, humor.

tet666

Augur
Well, the title.

Back when i was in my early teens, I loved the hell out of jrpgs. Favs being trpgs, and among them Shining Force series, and FFT/ FFTA. Out of straight jrpgs i greatly enjoyed Suikoden series, :obviously: Final Fantasies (IV and VI mainly) and, say, Chrono Trigger.

Its been a long time since i played jrpgs (i think that GC Fire Emblem was the last one, like 8 years ago, quit somewhere near the end). But, for some reason, got an itch to give them another chance.

I'm a story fag, who likes niec visuals (not necessarily new, just nice). Any great games I've been missing?

I remember Mother/Earthbound were hailed as second coming of Jesus Christ, but I didnt enjoy them back then, prolly cause I was a kid and thus couldnt appreciate its "magical reenactment" of childhood. Are they worth a shot?

The Trails in the Sky series should be right up you alley, for a story fag JRPG it doesn't get much better then this (don't mind my Avatar i'm totally not biased) it's perfection in story telling and world building. Graphics are definitely a bit dated but very charming. Battle system is TRPG like with grid movement so it's another point making it the perfect choice for you.
All of the games are on steam and have great ports.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think Earthbound is worth giving another shot as an adult, but to be honest, I never managed to complete it. Something about it bores me.

I wish I could recommend you some newer stuff but I haven't gotten consoles in forever. How about Persona 5? Or if you are itching for something older, Lufia 2 is a must-play if you haven't.

Bahamut Lagoon is one most of us missed because it was jap-exclusive, that one will tickle your tRPG itch. It is essentially a story-driven trpg with a focus on raising your own dragons, which can morph into more powerful dragons by means of obscure rules I never figured out.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, if you want a more modern game with "classic JRPG experience", Trails is the best choice.

Ash

Arcane
ARPG:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Parasite Eve 2
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
FF7: Dirge of Cerberus

Turn-based:

FF5
FF6
FF7
FF8
FF9
Golden Sun 1
Golden Sun 1 pt. 2
Koudelka

RTw/P:

Parasite Eve
Vagrant Story
FF12

sRPG:

Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre

All have decent to great gameplay and no/minimal anime art style as a personal rule. Additionally, only a couple will be of no interest to a storyfag. These are primarily the Castlevania games, Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams and FF7: Dirge of Cerberus. Maybe the Dark Souls games too. Basically everything under ARPG except Parasite Eve 2...which doesn't exactly have a great story either, but it's still certainly interesting.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane

Story is that good, huh? Tales stories have always seemed so bad.

I can only really vouch for SoSC being absolutely great, and DQVIII being very good. Problem is the OP outed himself as a storyfag, and I quit Berseria because there was so much storyfaggotry, but I also remember reading a lot of positive reviews from storyfaggots about that game...so...yeah...take the 2nd suggestion with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Either you or Grampy_Bone should consider changing avatar tbh. I always consider you the FPS guy and him the turn-based guy and it gets confusing when you talk about turn based JRPG.

I like most genres. Consider me a overall gameplayfag instead.

I refuse to change avatar, for it would be a third time I've been asked to change due to conflict with another member and obliged. It only takes a quick glance at the name on the left. I've also had this one for...three quarters of a year or so without issue.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

v1rus

Arcane
Mana Khemia.

I actually played one of the games from the series, Atelier Iris 2 i think. Loved it back in the day, but i was like 11. How do they compare?

Lost Odyssey is probably the pinnacle of storyfag JRPG with nice visuals. The short stories are delightfully written and translated.

Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria still looks pretty good to this day, and if you're a Norse mythology fan will certainly tickle your fancy.

Shadow Hearts 2 is also excellent, and mixed in some great offbeat, and off color, humor.

Loved Valkyirie Profile Lenneth, so, Silmeria might be worth a shot. Lost Odyssey looks great, but Xbox 360 is the only past generation console I dont nave access to, and afaik, no Xbox360 emus work yet. :(
Should i play Shadow hearts 1 or Koudelka first?

I think Earthbound is worth giving another shot as an adult, but to be honest, I never managed to complete it. Something about it bores me.

I wish I could recommend you some newer stuff but I haven't gotten consoles in forever. How about Persona 5? Or if you are itching for something older, Lufia 2 is a must-play if you haven't.

Bahamut Lagoon is one most of us missed because it was jap-exclusive, that one will tickle your tRPG itch. It is essentially a story-driven trpg with a focus on raising your own dragons, which can morph into more powerful dragons by means of obscure rules I never figured out.

Lufia 2. Tried Bahamut, I loved the art style but havent got into it for some reason. Never tried any Persona game - I have a slight case of OCD where I must play games chronologically, and there are so many Personas around I could never get around that headache. Would love for someone to persuade me to give it a try anyway :lol:

Played or beat all those games, except Onimusha and Parasite Eve. Couldnt get into either series for some reason.

Anyone tried Energy Breaker? It got translated couple years back, and I really wanted to try it out back when there was no translation. Also, hows Treasure of Rudras? ppl seem to go crazy over that game.

Oh, also, how are older Arc the Lad Games? I played only Twilight of Spirits, and was absolutely blown away by it - mostly cause it was the first game i played on my brand new ps2. Also, since jrpg term is sorta wide here (I personally only use it to describe only classic Final Fantasy like games), should I get into Terranigma? Heard a lot of hype about it, but something kept throwing me off.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Loved Valkyirie Profile Lenneth, so, Silmeria might be worth a shot. Lost Odyssey looks great, but Xbox 360 is the only past generation console I dont nave access to, and afaik, no Xbox360 emus work yet. :(
Should i play Shadow hearts 1 or Koudelka first?

I don't recommend Lost Odyssey. It has this level-capping mechanic similar to the Suikoden games but more restrictive, so you basically can't gain any levels past what the game wants you to have. Makes the first 2 discs a real chore. So you're not missing much there.

Koudelka is a short and easy game so it's good to start with. It's pretty interesting; one of the characters is Lord Dunsany, and early fantasy writer and inspiration for Lovecraft. It's also a very early example of mo-capped cutscenes, despite the low-res textures the acting is great. I also like how losing to the final boss gives you a better ending.

Shadow Hearts 1 is good for the story but its another game where the first third just drags and is a massive chore to play. I'd almost recommend watching the story on youtube and going straight to Shadow Hearts 2, which is far better paced.

Other games:
-Treasure of the Rudras -- The magic system is gay as fuck, the balance sucks, you grind a lot and never get anywhere, and the story is boring. Skip it.

-Terranigma -- Great game, action RPG, has great music, a better spiritual successor to Soulblazer than Illusion of Gaia was.

Ash

Arcane
Played or beat all those games, except Onimusha and Parasite Eve. Couldnt get into either series for some reason.

Did you play the exact specified games? Parasite Eve 2 plays a lot differently to the first, and Onimusha DoD somewhat so than the previous in the series (it borderline qualifies as a JRPG, while the others don't). Good games, I recommend a second attempt at them.

Also you haven't played Koudelka from the list :P It's a good game, worth a play, but if there were to be a hierarchy of quality to my list from top to bottom I'd recommend it last...yet you said you played all the rest so go ahead. Enjoy.

v1rus

Arcane

Did you play the exact specified games? Parasite Eve 2 plays a lot differently to the first, and Onimusha DoD somewhat so than the previous in the series (it borderline qualifies as a JRPG, while the others don't). Good games, I recommend a second attempt at them.

Also you haven't played Koudelka from the list :P It's a good game, worth a play, but if there were to be a hierarchy of quality to my list from top to bottom I'd recommend it last...yet you said you played all the rest so go ahead. Enjoy.

Exact ones, except for DS3 (dont ask, long story) and those two - havent tried both of those in any way, but something turns me of from them majorly. Probably the setting and the fact that Parasite Eve makes me feel all weird (Seen couple of those transformation scenes on youtube). Gonna give 'em another try tho, sooner or later. Should I skip older parts entirely? And ye, i missed Koudelka :oops: Then again - by Golden sun 2, did you mean this new one, or The Lost Age? I loved the hell out of original Golden Sun, beat it 2 or 3 times with all djinis and all that jazz. But somehow, the cartridge got fucked up and it cant save no matter what i try. Started playing Lost Age some time after that, but finished early when I realized how much stuff I'm missing if i dont import.

pippin

Dragon's Dogma, but that's more of a japansese attempt to make a western style game, with hilarious results.

1449615832418.jpg

Dragon's Dogma story is generic at first but slowly and steadily progresses towards WTF territory. I love it.

Not quite a loli but I made an Asterix-like rogue companion to my Obelix-like warrior hero. This is how most of the combat against big monsters' played out.

B186.jpg

-

on topic: If you re willing to play a Tales Of game, I'd play Tales of Symphonia. The combat is good, the story is alright (your dad is a cool dorf and you fight elf nazis) and it's the cheapest one on PC.

If you liked Chrono Trigger, play Chrono Cross because it's like a playable bad fanfic. Unfortunately, the fun combat of the original was changed into punch, punch, punch, special attack - repeat forever.

And of course, Planescape: Torment.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
fYou should play them all. They are all well loved by the very smart and wise codex community.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom