Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any new Pirates! clones out there?

spectre

Arcane
So, I'm having that itch to play City of Abandoned Ships (with Gentlemen of Fortune or somesuch mod) again and I've been wondering if there were any new developments in the genre in the past few years.

Know what I'm saying? RPG lite character development, sandbox game world, some detailed ship models and nice weather visuals, the satisfaction when you blow a merchantman to smithereens and when you skewer its captain in melee.
Minimum amounts of Johnny Depp retardation if at all possible.

I remember there was an mmo called Pirates of the Burning Seas, though I heard it was pretty horrible, even for an mmo
and the servers are a barren wasteland (still, it was F2P, so not ruling it out entirely).

I also heard about something called East India Company, though the reviews were pretty mixed. Not sure if I'm sold on the managing your trading empire aspect.

And then there's the recent Assassin's Creed, not particularly fond of the AC bit, but I wonder if it holds its own as a Pirates clone.

Anything else on the horizon that you would recommend? Or is Akella's shoddy coding still the best in the bunch?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
My favorite Pirates! clone is Uncharted Waters 1 (KOEI).

Uncharted_Waters_Cover.jpg

Gregz

Arcane
I assume you've played the original and the 2004 remake, both of which are excellent.

If you missed one of them, I'd highly recommend playing that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Uncharted Waters 2 is also quite good, very very similar.

Unfortunately, the second part got anime-fied and looks like a typical JRPG (at least when walking in towns). Uncharted Waters 1, on the other hand, has the same style as Celtic Tales.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Here is what a town looks like in the PC version:

206388564D19632A2ED345

There is no Zelda-sprite running around, you just click on the buildings.

spectre

Arcane
I assume you've played the original and the 2004 remake, both of which are excellent.

If you missed one of them, I'd highly recommend playing that.
Played them. Hence, I'm asking if there's something newer and better than Sea Dogs + mods. You know, post 2009.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Nothing new, no. Mount&Blade 2 is in development, at least, which is kinda sorta similar. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is Good for What It Is as a ninja parkour game, but a Pirates! clone it is not - the naval combat, trade and such is very simplistic and limited (even more so than Pirates! was, that is, but worth a try I suppose).

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Not really a clone, but Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas is a lovely pirate game, quite complex too. Might be heresy to say this, but despite its flaws, I actually like it better than Pirates!

spectre

Arcane
My biggest gripe with the Pirates of the Black Cove video is the caricatural art style and the dumbed down sea battles (quite a feat in itself, seeing how simplistic it already was in Pirates!). The former I could live with, the latter not so much.

So, somew new stuff I managed to dig out:

Apparently, there's another installment in the Age of Pirates series by Akella called Pirates Odyssey, to each his own.

Seems like an evolved CoAS, which is fine by me. An english version was supposed to be comming out last summer, unfortunately it didn't.
(Unless it's one of those cases when the EN version was released under a totally different name and slipped under everyone's noses)

Then there's Raven's Cry, which looks interesting, unfortunately no way to tell if it actually has any sandbox sailing gameplay, or if it's ever coming out. The release date is there, but there seems to be some dev/publisher legal shenanigans going on.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Rise of Venice looked fairly similar, but I haven't played it and the reviews are wishy-washy.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
AC 4 is fun and the sea battles are great so you could do worse but really the best Pirates clone is the 2004 remake, it has a nice art direction with that animated vibe and the great mini games

:Flash:

Arcane
I admit I haven't played them, but weren't Port Royale 1&2 supposed to be good? Especially part 2 got very positive reviews.
There's also a Port Royale 3, but it wasn't developed by Ascaron (which was bankrupt by then), so I'd be careful with it.

spectre

Arcane
These remakes suck hard.

Some guys are developing a free to play sim "Naval Action", so far it looks pretty good.

http://www.navalaction.com/

Indeed, it looks good. To bad it most likely won't have abt single player, and I'm not 100% sure if there will be any swordfighting either. Bummer.

Invictus said:
but really the best Pirates clone is the 2004 remake, it has a nice art direction with that animated vibe and the great mini games
What can I say, I even quite liked the dancing minigame everyone was raging about. For all its simplicity, it has its charm. Unfortunately, I wanted a bit more depth here and there, which is where Age of Pirates series came in.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Pirates of the caribbean game with new horizons mod is pretty good. There are a one character story where you play as a Johnny Depp though but it's optional so you won't have to suffer through with it. I personally couldn't get into sequels after Potc game so it stayed as my favorite through the years.

Skunkpew

Augur
Commander: Conquest of the Americas is supposed to be a revamp of East India Company, but it looks like a miss.

These aren't new games, but Tropico 2: Pirate Cove is okay, though it's centered more around city-management simulation. Or what about Tortuga: Pirates of the New World?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This looks interesting, anyone here played it?
Can't into video.
We got a review copy at GameBanshee under the pretense that it was a "pirate RPG"... no, it isn't. It's like Sid Meier's Pirates! but if someone replaced the resource management angle with a really bad RTS mini-game and the absolute barest of ship upgrade trees. It has less depth than Pirates!, is much slower-paced and is just nowhere near as fun to play. For instance, it features a big open sea map but there are no procedurally-generated quests or goals, only main objectives and a small handful of optional ones - and since there's no reason to actually have the open world elements the developers tried to justify it with, yes, you guessed it, pointless collectibles. Even the turn-based ground combat in Pirates! is ten times more tactical than the mediocre RTS combat in Pirates of Black Cove. The best thing the game has going for it is the naval combat, which is actually pretty fun.

It's not a terrible game, in fact, it's even enjoyable for what it is, but really is not worth your time and money unless you want another Pirates!-like and are willing to put up with a paper-thin RTS on top of it. I just don't understand how someone could take one of the most blatant mini-game-fests ever, add "proper" systems to it and still somehow end up with something that has less depth to it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom