Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone Play Anno 1404, or Anno 1503, or Anno 1602, or...

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Anno 1701?

I've never played any games in this series, but a recent spat with Ceasar 3 has whet my appetite for more city building. I found a lets play of the most recent game in the series, Anno 1404 here and will watch soon. I've also checked out the trailer for Anno 2070, to be released in Fall 2011, which looks killer without providing any details.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1404 is fun.

I don't know any thing to compare it to, but i had fun playing it.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I played 3 of those and they are fun. For some time. Get boring fast unfortunately, like most games of the type. Not much challenge in there.

1404 was alright, but a bit simple and got boring pretty quick. I kinda liked the visual design, though, even if it was a bit cartoonish.
I'd say it's worth a try, if not expecting it to blow your mind.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1602 =1404 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1503 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1701

If you want to play anno either play 1602 or 1404.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Konjad said:
1602 =1404 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1503 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1701

If you want to play anno either play 1602 or 1404.

so I played tha shit up till now?

I though 1701 was the best?

Am I missing big stuff?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I like 1404 very much, also bought the expansion for it. Too bad I don't have time to play with it.

@Krraloth
1701 is not that bad either, but the others are just better. Try 1404, it's fun, and if you have a strong config, it looks great.

Anno 2070 was announced recently. What are your thoughts about it, Codex? At first I haven't cared about it too much, but the future setting intriques me. These types of games usually take place in the past, this game will try something different, I hope they do it right.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Trash said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42zToqR2w1c

I googled 1404 review and found this creepy throathy male dude masturbating all about Germans. Very codexian in a way. :D
"the Germans make the coolest games, I don't know why. Maybe because they are Germans".

:D What a reasoning!

Quilty

Magister
Do the anno games provide the player with any penalties if he fails to satisfy the people? The reason why I like Tropico so much is because you simply have to keep most of your people happy so they don't kick you out of office, and balance that with building a functioning island (unless you're a commie swine ofc), so a lot of excitement and tension comes from that. Sim City and all the other city builders I've tried are a little too relaxed on this point, you basically just do whatever you want, which I don't like.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Quilty said:
Do the anno games provide the player with any penalties if he fails to satisfy the people? The reason why I like Tropico so much is because you simply have to keep most of your people happy so they don't kick you out of office, and balance that with building a functioning island (unless you're a commie swine ofc), so a lot of excitement and tension comes from that. Sim City and all the other city builders I've tried are a little too relaxed on this point, you basically just do whatever you want, which I don't like.
If you don't satisfy their needs, they start a riot after a time, in the end they may burn down your city.

Quilty

Magister
J_C said:
Quilty said:
If you don't satisfy their needs, they start a riot after a time, in the end they may burn down your city.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Secretninja

Cipher
I played one, I think 1503. I picked it up for 5 dollars at target way back when and it was well worth it.

Paperclip

Liturgist
In Anno games the city layout isn't that important compared to Impressions' games (caesars etc.) because there's no "desirability zone" and "walkers" (goods suppliers) for example, but the trading part is more complex.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Paperclip said:
In Anno games the city layout isn't that important compared to Impressions' games (caesars etc.) because there's no "desirability zone" and "walkers" (goods suppliers) for example, but the trading part is more complex.
But the road network is important (at least in 1404, I don't know about the others), since the little guys must take the goods from the producing buildings to the warehouses.

Paperclip

Liturgist
J_C said:
Paperclip said:
But the road network is important (at least in 1404, I don't know about the others), since the little guys must take the goods from the producing buildings to the warehouses.

Sorry for not mentioning that I've never played 1404, I wish I could though (shitty PC).

Ruprekt

Scholar
There's one massive draw back to 3D iterations of strategy games.

Since they're the kind of game you (or at least I do) tend play without the sound cranked up... the noise of your video card and cpu fans is kinda annoying.

I like perfect silence when I'm thinking :obviously:

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Paperclip said:
J_C said:
Paperclip said:

Sorry for not mentioning that I've never played 1404, I wish I could though (shitty PC).
there are zones for churches, pubs, fire stations and stuff like that... houses won't go over a certain level without being in such a zone... the inhabitants aren't as bitchy as in the early ceasars, though... more like simcity2000.... makes me hope for the ultimate building in Anno2070 to be an arcology instead of a massive cathedral as in 1404

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Mh, it seems I won't be able to play 1404, my laptop is not enough...

Aside from the 1404 king of the hill, which one is the runner up?
I played 1601 and I'm looking for a different one.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Krraloth said:
Mh, it seems I won't be able to play 1404, my laptop is not enough...

Aside from the 1404 king of the hill, which one is the runner up?
I played 1601 and I'm looking for a different one.

You played which one? 1602 or 1701? 1602 is the best one, along with 1404. Go for it. If you have played it... well, play it again.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Ruprekt said:
There's one massive draw back to 3D iterations of strategy games.

Since they're the kind of game you (or at least I do) tend play without the sound cranked up... the noise of your video card and cpu fans is kinda annoying.

I like perfect silence when I'm thinking :obviously:

Why would you turn off the sound? I find Anno 1404 has a great sound department, the soundtrack, the sound of the waves, the birds, the city... it all makes a very relaxing experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom