Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anything to scratch that Subnautica itch?

Arthandas

Prophet
Just a quick impressions from dipping into Windbound for about half an hour so take it with a big grain of salt:
+ no handholding, you're washed ashore a small island and basically fuck you
+ combat is simple but perfectly functional, you have melee attacks with a knife/spear, ranged attacks with bow/sling, there's a lock on and dodges, basically miles ahead of Subnautica which had only a knife and torpedoes (there's also sneaking and hiding in bushes), I have not encountered any glitches, bad hitboxes or general jank which was mentioned in the Steam reviews
+ I like how your hunger bar doubles as your stamina, basically the hungrier you are the less stamina you have
+ resources are scarce and your inventory is very limited (you can carry a single bag + a basket on the boat)
/ you can swim but there's no diving (though I don't see any point in swimming at the moment, it quickly drains your stamina and when it's empty you drown and wake up on the nearest island or your boat if you crafted an anchor)
/ low poly cell shaded graphics, the game as a whole looks pretty nice and vibrant but there's no denying the individual textures and models lack details
/ the game takes place in some fantasy/alien setting which is a plus (I hate realistic survival games because they lack the "unknown") but so far the environments are pretty standard islands with trees, stones and some cute creatures
- no base building, I think having a home you can decorate with various trophies, flora and other random things is quite important in those kind of games

So far I'm very positively surprised. Especially for a 3€ game (currently -85%).

VonMiskov

Educated
Take heed that BreathEdge is designed with trolling in mind. Many designs are made to literally troll player. There's even a place in game when they mock people who wanted Subnautica in space.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Ark is pretty much the same game on land but with more combat, better building, better interaction with the creatures. But dinosaurs instead of fish, and some jank and bad pathing. And it takes a huge amount of time to do stuff.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I tried Outer Wilds and some generic survival games like Rust and Forest but nothing even comes close.
After browsing the tags on Steam I discovered most crafting/survival games are still in early access and I have no interest in a bread that's still baking...

I heard Breathedge is basically Subnautica in space but it's supposedly buggy and unpolished?
Gay Sub-nautica is a game for faggots so you might want to order a dildo and ride that or sumfin. Faggot ass game devs so scared of guns they made a walking sim with the mineycrafta loop.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
procedural generation
procgen.png

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I tried Outer Wilds and some generic survival games like Rust and Forest but nothing even comes close.
After browsing the tags on Steam I discovered most crafting/survival games are still in early access and I have no interest in a bread that's still baking...

I heard Breathedge is basically Subnautica in space but it's supposedly buggy and unpolished?
Gay Sub-nautica is a game for faggots so you might want to order a dildo and ride that or sumfin. Faggot ass game devs so scared of guns they made a walking sim with the mineycrafta loop.
Imagine hating a game because it does not have guns.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Imagine hating a game because it does not have guns.
IIRC the Subnautica dev did mention something about non-violence and school shootings and guns but I don't think it was anything more than a PR move. I doubt how starting out with such retarded preconceptions would ever lead to good game, and that points to the more likely story that they were just using non-''violence'' and school shootings for brownie points. EDIT: article about it: https://www.mcvuk.com/development-n...ame-is-a-vote-towards-a-world-with-less-guns/ The excuse is fucking weak.

But regarding building in Subnautica, is it even close to Minecraft? Building in it looks like the building you get in a survival game like The Forest or Don't Starve; not the sort of open sky's-the-limit building you see in Minecraft.

Arthandas

Prophet
But regarding building in Subnautica, is it even close to Minecraft? Building in it looks like the building you get in a survival game like The Forest or Don't Starve; not the sort of open sky's-the-limit building you see in Minecraft.
No, it's nothing like Minecraft. Different genres. Subnautica isn't even a sandbox though it's very nonlinear and you can do the objectives in any order you want. The only thing that's limiting you is your current "tech tier".

Arthandas

Prophet
STALKER games check all those points and you disliked it.
No base-building, no crafting, boring typical post-apo environments, meaningless exploration (like, what are you gonna find apart from medkits, weapons, ammo and other boring stuff?), bugs and jank... not to mention it's in a completely different genre.

Silva

Arcane
meaningless exploration (like, what are you gonna find apart from medkits, weapons, ammo and other boring stuff?)
Stalker: Call of Pripyat has the exploration of anomalies and search for artifacts as a part of it's economy. You ideally should keep the useful ones and trade the others (unless you're really broke). Also, the "sandbox" is even more alive than Subnautica, with a rich ecosystem where artifacts generation is tied to emissions (the storms), each type needing specific tricks and gear to collect (you know how you must learn each biome and creature pattern in Subnautica and in some cases even have specific gear to deal with them? in Stalker it's the same, a learning process to deal with it's fauna, artifacts and the geographical anomalies), and every live entity in the game (from dogs to other stalkers and everything between) having needs or agendas they pursue by wandering the Zone by themselves. Speaking of the Zone, it never looked like your "typical" post-apoc IMO, seeing as it's based on russian urban legends and weird tech, and not the typical nuclear or "zombie outbreak" clichés. Also factions relations that improve/degrade based on how you react to them and make them help you with jobs/barter/exclusive gear/etc or harm you. Crafting? check in a simplistic form in base game, more involving if you go for popular mods like Anomaly and Misery.

Stalker has easily the most "alive" setting I've ever seen in a videogame, and learning it's ropes was a hell of an experience, not so different from Subnautica for me.

But yeah, no base buidling.

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
Haha, I love how you did an instant 180 a turned super defensive and insecure like a hurt child xD
I'm sho shorry little Timmy but stalker is shit and there's absolutely nothing original about it.

Arthandas

Prophet
Just a quick impressions from dipping into Windbound for about half an hour so take it with a big grain of salt:
+ no handholding, you're washed ashore a small island and basically fuck you
+ combat is simple but perfectly functional, you have melee attacks with a knife/spear, ranged attacks with bow/sling, there's a lock on and dodges, basically miles ahead of Subnautica which had only a knife and torpedoes (there's also sneaking and hiding in bushes), I have not encountered any glitches, bad hitboxes or general jank which was mentioned in the Steam reviews
+ I like how your hunger bar doubles as your stamina, basically the hungrier you are the less stamina you have
+ resources are scarce and your inventory is very limited (you can carry a single bag + a basket on the boat)
/ you can swim but there's no diving (though I don't see any point in swimming at the moment, it quickly drains your stamina and when it's empty you drown and wake up on the nearest island or your boat if you crafted an anchor)
/ low poly cell shaded graphics, the game as a whole looks pretty nice and vibrant but there's no denying the individual textures and models lack details
/ the game takes place in some fantasy/alien setting which is a plus (I hate realistic survival games because they lack the "unknown") but so far the environments are pretty standard islands with trees, stones and some cute creatures
- no base building, I think having a home you can decorate with various trophies, flora and other random things is quite important in those kind of games

So far I'm very positively surprised. Especially for a 3€ game (currently -85%).
Ok, It started pretty good but by the end of chapter 2 I have enough of it.
- no meaningful exploration
- the environment consists of almost identical copy-pasted islands and there's nothing else
- closed chapters instead of a single large world map
- sailing the boat is slow and tedious unless you're sailing with the wind
- the objectives in each chapter are the same, find three "totems" then fuck off to the next chapter and everything you've built like campfires, drying racks, kilns etc are gone and you have to rebuilt them every single time
- lack of content (especially compared to other survival/crafting games)
- pretty easy even on the highest difficulty level (and there are only two)

Arthandas

Prophet
How about Empyrion: Galactic Survival?
I never heard of it. Looks interesting but I'm skeptical of games wanting to be 5 different things at once instead of having a clear focus.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
STALKER games check all those points and you disliked it.
No base-building, no crafting, boring typical post-apo environments, meaningless exploration (like, what are you gonna find apart from medkits, weapons, ammo and other boring stuff?), bugs and jank... not to mention it's in a completely different genre.
lol it's funny I like Subnautica better than most survival games precisely because it puts a much lower emphasis on the base building and a bigger emphasis on exploration. I barely built a base in it beyond a small one in the area I first started in, and then the big submarine serves as a mobile base. Nothing else required.

The more crafting a game requires the less I enjoy it

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
I just remembered this. Its got no base building but its a cult classic set in space:

And if you like dying due to environment and the kind of survival where you have to pick stuff off the ground to keep your hunger meter in check; there this:

It also has customizable difficulty and you can set low enemy density and high resource density to just build a base, farm and explore the procedurally generated world.

Arthandas

Prophet
I just remembered this. Its got no base building but its a cult classic set in space:
Cult classic with only 37 reviews on Steam?
I'll check it out, some of the screens really give off that Subnautica vibe:
ss_69f8dad9c3f9d0281ba28f4844b20b189e6f1165.1920x1080.jpg

It must be pretty janky though since Wesp5 is patching it xD

As for Don't Starve, I already own it. Great game though I wouldn't say it's anything like Subnautica.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How about Empyrion: Galactic Survival?

Empyrion is great fun IMO.

Build bases, build vehicles from blocks in pretty great detail (somewhat lego-like, but it has to fulfill some needs, like being airtight for space, etc.), survive raids, explore planets, etc.
The game can also be really beautiful at times - and somewhat janky at other times, but that's to be expected at that scale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom