Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD in high resolution!

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
We finally implemented higher resolutions. 800x600 fixed, anyone? By the way, the minimum resolution is 1024x768 now.

J1M

Arcane
Neat, but I bet you have to redo all the icon art now. Remember, the game is supposed to come out at some point, lol.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
J1M said:
Neat, but I bet you have to redo all the icon art now. Remember, the game is supposed to come out at some point, lol.

Well the icons in the HUD look great as they are judging by these screens. They may have been drawn higher-res to begin with since they probably knew that they would implement these resolutions.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Text is too small. Or is that adjustable regardless of resolution?

spacemoose

Erudite
1. should probably use the same font in all screens

2. should probably have some idle animations for the lil uggo npcs

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How will you handle the issue of aspect ratios? 4:3, 16:9, 16:10...
If you don't handle it at all yet, and are too short on time to handle it completely, I'd suggest always having the main screen at a 4:3 resolution and keep it at the center of the monitor, while filling the "empty space" around it with something neat.
At least that is the easiest one to implement ;)

And also, just out of curiosity, how did you implement shadows?
I just wondered, since they do look like soft shadows, yet I doubt that you used any advanced shader stuff in AoD ;)

Oh, and... going for better resolutions was a good decision.

bat_boro

Arcane
What about HDR lighting, normal and specular maps, DX 11 and slow-motion killing sprees?
Seriously guys, after FO 3 set the standards for RPGs, I just can't accept anyone in the RPG business could overlook such important things!

Now seriously, it looks great, but have you thought about implementing widescreen resolutions? I guess it's a must have feature if you're aiming at a more massive sales number (just a guess, though) and I know you guys secretly are.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
bat_boro said:
Now seriously, it looks great, but have you thought about implementing widescreen resolutions?

thesheeep said:
How will you handle the issue of aspect ratios? 4:3, 16:9, 16:10...
If you don't handle it at all yet, and are too short on time to handle it completely, I'd suggest always having the main screen at a 4:3 resolution and keep it at the center of the monitor, while filling the "empty space" around it with something neat.
At least that is the easiest one to implement ;)

There are widescreen resolutions. In them the gui is centered, but all the "play" area is used. As a matter of fact, that is also true for resolutions higher than 1024x768 (except for the main GUI). Right now, the empty area around the screens is black. We might look into making something fancy (or try to use the whole screen) after the demo is out. Releasing the demo is our top priority right now. After the sounds are implemented (working on that, we already have clicking sounds for the buttons), we will polish some minor stuff and release.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
racofer said:
But I wanna play at 800x600 fuck you! Stupid next-gen bullshit!
This. Bigger resolutions good thing, but return 800x600! I'm too blind for this next-gen shit.

denizsi

Arcane
I've recently found out that I've developed a particular taste for low resolution in certain types of games, provided art direction is good.

Prime example: Daggerfall. I've seen remake renders with higher resolutions using the same art/assets and it looks like shit. Stretched and blurred textures, even looking at a static image gave me a nausea. I can't possibly play the game in any resolution higher than the default 320x200.

Quake and Quake 2. I remember it very vividly that even when I first played Quake on 800x600, I felt that something was wrong. The game was fast enough, no hiccups, everything smooth but something was still missing. Smooth lights weren't complicating the blocky world geometry and low poly models at all. When I switched down to 640x400, everything looked so much better.

Quake 2 in particular suffered from high resolutions greatly. Carmack was obsessed with replacing every in-game 2D stuff with polygons, so even bullet smoke and explosions were made out of animated models. However, higher the resolution went, worse it all looked. Apparent blockiness similar to Quake, but worse because there was a lot more lights and more low-poly stuff everywhere. Once again, low resolution made the game beautiful. Everything was smoother and flashier.

Another example which I played again recently is Alien Trilogy. The game simply looks beautiful. Straight out of Aliens, the movie. It easily beats the first AvP game. While playing it again, I remember thinking "fuck all that high poly and shader business.

I must admit, I don't perceive it the same with recent games where there are 50K+ polygons per model with life-like details, pretty shaders and highly detailed environments, and not even the same with every type of old 3D game, but for most 3D games with free look and an emphasis on level 3D environments I think.

Graphically, 3D games are really only now getting somewhere, but thinking about it, I'd like to make at least one good looking low resolution game. Great looks minus everything bad that's associated with the cutting edge games.in before cool story bro

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Fowyr said:
racofer said:
But I wanna play at 800x600 fuck you! Stupid next-gen bullshit!
This. Bigger resolutions good thing, but return 800x600! I'm too blind for this next-gen shit.

Me too. I have issues playing anything higher than 1024x768. AoD looks fine that way, IMO.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Not enough memory. Loading DOS into Upper Memory Block.
May I use QEMM, or AoD works only with EMM386?
:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom