Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

AoD: This game feels very on the rails. Am i playing it right?

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by GentlemanCthulhu, Sep 16, 2019.

1. GentlemanCthulhu Scholar

GentlemanCthulhu
    I'm doing a merchant playthrough, which boils down to talking to people, scheming, and playing power games. My issue is that so far (i'm at the third city) it has never been 'my' schemes, but rather somebody else's who i slave for. I don't like it at all, so my question is, is this what the game basically is or am i missing out on choices which allow me to come out on top of the schemes personally. I mean i just handed stewardship of a city to some fat fuck. I would never do something like that if the game allowed the opportunity to do so. Did i just miss the path? Specifically, i am talking about playing when aligned with the Commercium, not some other faction.

• :M x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Yes x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • No x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Yeah this is what this game basically is. You get a lot of choices but they're all pretty railroaded in a CYOA style. Rather than plotting things yourself, collecting tools and evidence, making your move when you think it's right, interacting with characters when you think it's right, etc, you get funneled into CYOA sequences in which you get a limited amount of choices that's given to you by those who run the show. This structure is why the game feels railroaded despite being very non-linear.

• Agree x 16
    • Brofist x 4
    • Yes x 4
    • Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. GentlemanCthulhu Scholar

GentlemanCthulhu
    Huh. Well it looks like i had totally wrong assumptions going into this. Almost makes me mad at the "this is the greatest RPG of all time" crowd.

• Brofist x 5
    • Funny x 5
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ScrotumBroth Cipher Patron

ScrotumBroth
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    You've missed quite a bit if the only path you've found available is to blindly follow Commercium directives. Usually there are opportunities left and right to betray everything and everyone.

If you're looking to dominate the world Skyrim style, then no, you can't do that. You're just a dirty mortal for the most part, unless you find a way to become more.

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • meh x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. GentlemanCthulhu Scholar

GentlemanCthulhu
    Example? Where was the option to take out the Commercium leader in second city for example? Where are these opportunities? They don't seem to come out of the conversations in the main questline for example. Sure, I *could* totally switch sides by pledging alliance to lord's house for example, but i never found the option to assassinate people as i see fit for instance, only when the game wanted to allow for it.

Or in Ganezzar for example, how do I get credit for my actions in helping the guild? It's yet another instance of another person getting all the power and credit for my actions.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Carls Barkley Safav Hamon The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    I prefer Fallout's systemic C&C. AoD's C&C is definitely more impactful to the player experience but it also seems designed to allow for many disparate playstyles that railroad you into certain decision lines and deviating from that results usually in instant death. This is technically more realistic (a feeble diplomat shouldn't be able to fight his way out of a situation ever) but extremely inflexible and locks in many of the game's quest outcomes and dialogue decisions based on character generation.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Maxie Arcane Patron

Maxie
    The optimal way to play AoD is to note down skill requirements for the various content gates and to assign skillpoints only then and there, essentially starving your chargen if you want to experience more than the default path your build would take you through

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    • Funny x 9
    • Agree x 6
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. GentlemanCthulhu Scholar

GentlemanCthulhu
    All this sounds well and good, but right now, i'm just slaving for other people. It's my work that gets people to act in certain ways. I am the only one responsible for the shifts of the power among the houses and characters, yet i am never credited or rewarded for them. All my actions end up empowering other people.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Maxie Arcane Patron

Maxie
    AoD is primarily targeted at players who enjoy their daddy developer spitting in their face and growling 'you're such a nobody, I will fuck your ass bitch' over and over again, as if gay rape was supposed to be a good basis for video games

• Funny x 23
    • Excited! x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Does it work differently in real life where you're from?

• Funny x 11
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • Prestigious x 3
    • :M x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • nice x 2
    • honk honk! x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. GentlemanCthulhu Scholar

GentlemanCthulhu
    Lol gotcha.
    Yes.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Gnidrologist CONDUCTOR

Gnidrologist
    So, AoE is Eastern European depression simulator too?

• Funny x 9
    • Yes x 3
    • incline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Ah, yes, the "it's totally realistic and you're just a pawn, what do you want skyrim????" to excuse shit railroading design. Because of course, Skyrim is the only RPG so we can only compare it to that.

• Agree x 7
    • Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Maybe people like to play video games to get away from this shit.
    Probably a reason why I never truly bothered to play AoD, I already understood from the demo what is going to be waiting for me in the game and every post here on 'Dex confirmed that.
    No reason to have experiences in my leisure time that are somewhat similar to what you get in RL.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Nice idea, shit game.

• Agree x 4
    • Balanced x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    The Commercium storyline is pretty terrible tbh, you'd be better off trying a praetor maybe or a loremaster.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    if you want maximum control and screw everyone, pacifist thief is the way to go. Need a lot of meta gaming in char creation+progression and betraying everyone as you go

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Fixed.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    lol, if anything thats ultimate do-what-your-boss-says-and-surprise-him-to-come-back-alive
    also you dont understand anything that happened around you, for that you need other playthroughs

^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Meh,just cheat and get a lot of points to have fun exploring the game. Otherwise enjoy the autism of restarting 20 times because muh checks.

• decline x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. If you take these criticisms at face value you are naive. People want to feel in charge. Hence, the criticisms against being railroaded and whatnot. They don't want their choices to matter in a narrative meaningful way.

In the typical mercenary playthrough, you feel in charge.

You can destroy everyone that gets in your way, being related to your main quests or not.

You are properly compensated with additional training and promotion.

You don't need to worry about muh failed skill checks because you are a murderous machine.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. biggestboss Savant

biggestboss
    https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-with-a-statement.112015/page-69#post-6310708

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    Either you like the nihilistic and specifically determined style of VD design, or you don't. That's all there is to it.

I really liked AOD even though (and not because) the game had that snowball design. The game in fact has a ton of options and is quite open-ended, that is, if the options you imagine/want are directly in line with the strict way of thinking of VD. You have, for example, the option of using stealth to solve several quests, but only in the specific places and in the specific moments where the game says it "makes sense". You want to sneak up on a certain enemy? No can do. Do you want to stealthily open a door to attack the NPCs inside it? No deal for you here. The game actually allows you to use skills at various times, but they are times specifically created for that.

But hey, it's a very efficient design for a small team. Instead of creating an organic system where you can tenically use stealth at any time and place (so, the designer has to essentially think about the possibility that every NPC in the world could or could not see the character approaching, and take that into account), creating a more targeted design they have a much greater control over the world and what happens (and can happen) within the game. You won't have stupid (but fun) exploits like putting buckets on NPCs' heads to steal what they have on the counter. Because the more open and comprehensive a system tries to be, the harder it is to predict the ways players will interact with it - and how they can and will "break" the game by doing that.

VD has a life experience where apparently everyone is pessimistic, where everyone around you is unreliable and a son of a bitch, where those at the foot of the social pyramid will always continue or there, and where working relationships are always strictly and solely the only relationship that people have when interacting with each other. It sounds strange to us that we have life experiences that are absurdly different from that, but on the other hand, it's a very original point of view that you don't usually see in other games.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Alpharius Educated

Alpharius
    Vault Dweller: here you go guys, 7 factions, each with its own branching main quest line, and you can switch sides too if you want.

Codex:
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 26
    • Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Salute x 2
    • butthurt x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ScrotumBroth Cipher Patron

ScrotumBroth
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I want to be a strong, confident dragon that needs no faction.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Funny x 4
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.