Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Apocalypse Now RPG by Monty Markland - terminated with extreme prejudice!

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
..._„„„„¸_...…………………………._¸„„„„_
./'.……¯'*~--„…….…………...„--~*'¯…….'\
Ì'ì\,.…_¸„--~~-„)…………… („-~~--„¸_….,/ì'Ì
...'\¯"¯-¸: : : : : ¯"^-„¸….¸„-^"¯ : : : : :¸-¯"¯/'...
…"-,„„¸/' : : : : : : : ¸„„-^"¯ : : : : : : : '\¸„„,-"......
**¯¯¯'^^~-„„„----~^*'"¯ : : : : : : : : : :¸-"..........
.:.:.:.:.„-^" : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :„-" "^-„.:.:.:.:.
:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: : : : : : : : : : ¸„-^¯:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:
.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.:. : : : : : : : ¸„„-^¯ : : : : .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.::.
:.' : : '\ : : : : : : : ;¸„„-~"¯~-„„¸; : : : : : : : \' : : '.:
:.:.:: :"-„""***/*'ì¸'¯. . . . . . . . ¯'¸ì'*\***""„-": ::.:.:
:.': : : : :"-„ : : :"\ . .Brothers. . /": : : „-": : : : :'.:
.:.:.: : : : :" : : : : \, . . .In . . . ,/ : : : : ": : : : :.:.:.
: : : : : : :, : : : : :/ . . Arms. . . \: : : : : :,: : : : : :

hitting ass and leg

Ivan

Arcane
NINE HUNDRED THOUSAND

giphy.gif

Sizzle

Arcane
Sawyer - first he made Avellone leave Obsidian, and now he's worming his way to Kickstarter as well, obviously trying to oust MCA as the go to obligatory stretch goal.

That smarmy balanced bastard.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
MLMarkland Backed for 25.
I'll upgrade when i know more about the actual RPG mechanics of the game...

We'll have detailed updates daily for the next 30 days and they will include specifics on RPG mechanics.

<----------------------
I think my join date which is prior to me being a game developer suggests I'm here for the r-p-g. Mainly looking for a definition, does anyone have one?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Have you read Heart of Darkness ? What do you think of it, compared to the movie ?

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Have you read Heart of Darkness ? What do you think of it, compared to the movie ?

Yes. I prefer the ending of the motion picture. I enjoy Heart of Darkness enough to re-read it from time to time, it relies more on your own imagination obviously because you are not presented with direct visual images. Both good. Both inspire our work, because obviously the game must be longer than the motion picture.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Instaback for me
The gameplay sounds like Stalker; no stats or leveling, you upgrade your equipment, some cool C&C (to blow up the ammo pile or keep it) and based on one of my favorite movies
If the first person combat is based on stuff like Condemned or Riddick I can already see my char sneaking around the jungle covered in mud and blood from my enemies
Got the urge to replay Snake Eater :D

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The gameplay sounds like Stalker; no stats or leveling, you upgrade your equipment, some cool C&C (to blow up the ammo pile or keep it) and based on one of my favorite movies
Huh?

Where did you see a single piece of information about the game? They literally said nothing about the game other than "horror rpg".

This new wave of scamstarters that start talking about their product only towards update #10...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm assuming they're expecting insane backing by name-dropping alone.

And if that doesn't work, cancel the project, because you don't really have anything else than some vague ideas about what you want to make.

In order to maintain the creative freedom and integrity that this daring and intense tale demands, the project is being financed outside the traditional video game publishing system.

lol never heard this one before.

The game is an interactive recreation of Willard’s journey, as seen through a survival horror lens in which players with limited resources face unspeakable terrors.
By choosing how to react to these situations, each player molds a unique version of Willard within the loose confines of the film story. You are Willard and your actions will determine his fate.

All this sounds like Telltale QTEs. Perhaps with more shootan.

There is also a war of resources. Food, water, first aid supplies, anti-malaria medicine, drugs, ammo, weapons, mission information, and gasoline are all vital to your and Willard’s success. While in U.S.-controlled territory, you can find resources through exploration, interactions with allied forces, completing side missions, scavenging from hostiles, and supply drops.

And all that sounds like a lot of bullshit that will never come true. Or it will boil down to "press x to scavenge".

It's a game that wants to sell based on a movie franchise. It will never be anything more than an interactive movie.

Mustawd

Why even make it about the fucking movie? I already watched the movie like a million times. When will people understand that movies =/= video games?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Why even make it about the fucking movie? I already watched the movie like a million times. When will people understand that movies =/= video games?
It's not about movies in particular, it's about looking for a successful thing that can transcend its own genre, like Iron Man can jump from a comic book into a movie, and also into a game. That idea works financially. South Park - works. Jay & Silent Bob - doesn't work. Apocalypse Now - viet cong pls, it doesn't work.

I mean, what do you expect, 40-50 year old farts are big on video games? Sure, some younger people like that movie too, but they're not enough.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Huh?

Where did you see a single piece of information about the game? They literally said nothing about the game other than "horror rpg".

This new wave of scamstarters that start talking about their product only towards update #10...
I said it sounds like Stalker, first of all the mention of "publishers turning this into a FPS" tells us the game IS in first person perspective, has guns but is not a scream and run game like Amnesia nor a narrative game like The Wolf among us for example and certainly not a tactical shooter
Second they mention acquiring and using equipment no mention anywhere of rising your levels or getting new perks or skills... hell not even an awesone button comment anywhere
Lastly the choice part, seems like you will be able to change the story a bit maybe siding with the locals against the US army and going all native and shit
Anyway the premise sounds cool and I am feeling good about it, hell even the master of balance seems like a good soirt about it so why shouldn't I?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
"publishers turning this into a FPS"
Yeah right, like a publisher wouldn't understand that a first person game can be a horror RPG. You google "Amnesia budget", you get the first title saying "Amnesia sales exceed 10 times game budget". That's not something a publisher would dismiss or ignore. What a publisher WOULD dismiss or dislike is you having zero fucking ideas in your pitch.

Mustawd

Apocalypse Now - viet cong pls, it doesn't work.

I see your point in your other examples. I guess it just seems like a really retarded idea to be the main character in a movie like this. I mean it's ok if it's similar, but not friggin identical. Like Mafia did it right. It has the feel of that era, but you're not Michael Corleone trying to QTE punch the Police Captain or whatever.

I would LOVE a setting like this, but the concept is just meh. Licensed games where you play the main character in a movie work with comic book characters just fine. But beloved classic movies like this? No thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom