Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Apocalypse Now RPG by Monty Markland - terminated with extreme prejudice!

Mustawd

My nephew spent five years thinking that he won't get a monster truck until he learns to pilot a submersible.

Sounds like a wyrmlord thing?

how can you not lie to your nieces and nephews though?

Cuz they're adorable part mini mes who are super innocent?

Also, when I move back to TX (which is in a few months god-willing), I'm gonna be the best uncle ever and take them to do all kinds of fun crap. They don't need to know that an Apocalypse Now RPG was almost made. Like why?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
thank you for the future acquisition.

Oh no...I'd pirate that shit. Steal the shit out of it. I'm not putting any money in your pocket. You fucking used car salesman.

In your zeal, you missed the intentional use of the word "acquisition" instead of "purchase"

I'm an accountant. Same word to me.

To be completely honest, I'm genuinely shocked how remorseless you are. Like, you really don't see anything wrong with any of this do you? Wow...I mean...to have that kind of self assurance. To go home and kiss your kids with the same mouth that you tell you employees "Guys, we're making an Apocalypse Now video Game! It's gonna be great HAHAHA!". Wow...how do you do that?

Really, I'm not kidding. How do you look into their little eyes...the little mini mes of you...their innocence...and lie to them? How do you tell them "Daddy is a good man. He remakes old ass franchises into video games. Trust me. It's a good thing. Because money."

You know...I mean....I have a 3 year old nephew and a 2 year old niece...and you couldn't pay me 1 billion dollars to lie to them like you lie to yourself every fucking day. Every fucking day you shave and as you wash the shit off your face you look in the mirror...and you tell yourself, "Hey....I'm doing good..haHA! People want this product. And then you go on about your day with that self assurance.

Well fuck you MLMarkland . Really. I say that from on behalf of my nephew and my niece. I say that on behalf on my unborn children that I will have. I fucking hate you on behalf of my miscarried son that I never talk about. I fucking hate everything you stand for. I fucking hate your project. You fucking charlatan piece of shit. I hope this thing never sees the light of day you fucking asshole. This world has a lot of bad people. And you are one of them.

EDIT: Fuck this I'm out. I can't belice a website like this fucking supports an shitface like this. Goodbye.

Wow....I was really drunk and angry in that post.

Glad this thing failed tho.

By the way, my niece is 2.5 years old now. Talked to her on the phone the other day, and I was happy cuz this game wasn't made. Thank God.

She told me she loved me and she missed me ("luv you tio Mustawd"). :love:

Markland, I hope you find something to do with your talents (I do think you have some).. I'm just glad it isn't some shitty AN rpg.

I mean, For Fuck's Sake. Who thought that was a good idea??

Pretty good writing for a drunk bastard ;). Still i am on his side in a way. It is more important to feed your kids than to not lie to a bunch of fags on the internet. Some people even suck dicks and kiss their kids for goodnight. Life mate,some even kill for it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think we've all learned some valuable lessons from this thread.

Number one, at least some percentage of the Codex will support any developer whose name is on the right game boxes and who name-drops all the right things, unless and until there's incontrovertible proof of disappointment or shenanigans.

Number two, Mustawd is more excitable than a middle-school vinegar and baking soda volcano science project.

Number three, when even Infinitron expresses doubt about a Kickstarter—especially a Kickstarter that has some connection to Obsidian—then it's time to throw in the towel, because that dude will support almost any game that comes down the pipe.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well MLMarkland at least come out with all the Numanuma drama a month ago,for that respect. Most likely he got executed for it,we should press "F" for him.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
So Monty what's up with editing in all those Art of War quotes? Blink twice rapidly if you received a c&d.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
So Monty what's up with editing in all those Art of War quotes? Blink twice rapidly if you received a c&d.

I haven't received a C&D nor any other form of mitigating nor injunctive communication from any party on the face of the planet.

When in a highly adversarial litigation / business conflict, I've always found Sun Tzu to be the very best guide.
Another successful hit for Hillary.

I lift with both eyes open, with my back to the corner of the gym. They are going to need to find another way.

Hey MM. Sorry about before. No hard feelings I hope. Went crazy there for a bit. Any news?

All good, we bros.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I haven't received a C&D nor any other form of mitigating nor injunctive communication from any party on the face of the planet.

When in a highly adversarial litigation / business conflict, I've always found Sun Tzu to be the very best guide.
Another successful hit for Hillary.

I lift with both eyes open, with my back to the corner of the gym. They are going to need to find another way.

Hey MM. Sorry about before. No hard feelings I hope. Went crazy there for a bit. Any news?

All good, we bros.
Did the Chris Avellone Interview bring you back too? How's the Deus Vult game shaping up?

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Glad to hear there wasn't any backlash. I feel comfortable claiming on behalf of the entire Codex that we all eagerly await your reaction to MCA's posts.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer

Wait MLMarkland , is it true Obsidian hired you on due to your work modding NWN2? I literally read that in an interview today. Das cool. Did you always wanna do game design? How old were you anyhow?

Yes that is true.

Lawrence Liberty was originally going to turn our mod into a Planescape xpac with Atari (that was his job at Atari). But then Atari had problems. Larry went to Obsidian and helped get me hired there.

Larry Liberty, Kevin Saunders, Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer and Shane Defreest were there for the intereview, along with Feargus and maybe Parker, I don't remember if he was there.

Those are the guys that gave me my first job in the game business.

I was 29.

I always played the Black Isle games, Fallouts, and started with an Apple IIC playing Wasteland and Bard's Tale.

I didn't realize you could "make video games as a job" until around 2005, when we started making the mod that got the job in the first place. 15+ people on that mod team ended up also getting jobs. That's a great outcome as well.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Did the Chris Avellone Interview bring you back too?

I didn't know all of this was going on. It was suggested to me by several peer members of the Southern California game industry that I look into Chris happenings (they were just talking about it in relation to articles/interviews maybe Twitter -- and it did indeed seem to lead back here)

All roads lead to RPGCodex

How's the Deus Vult game shaping up?

We've got a multiplayer up to 32 now, all greybox assets. Moving along. I look forward to having it banned on half the planet next Summer.

PanteraNera

Arcane
MLMarkland
Asking as I perceive you as an very honest and just person, will you back-up Avellone's claims?
(if you happen to have witnessed any of his claims)

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
MLMarkland
Asking as I perceive you as an very honest and just person, will you back-up Avellone's claims?
(if you happen to have witnessed any of his claims)

Thank you Pantera

I'd want to speak with both sides.

I'd want to understand what is going on behind the scenes (is there litigation?).

Within the confines of: Not making anything uselessly worse by dropping rhetoric bombs AND clearer picture of what's going on, I have no issue offering my business take on all of it.

Chris is a good friend, at first glance, I'm nonplussed at what appears to have been done to him. Just by comparison, I terminated an executive for cause at Killspace -- he lost his job, but he didn't lose his equity in the company. I'd need to read what contract allows for "de-ownering" I'm not even familiar with the word. I think it's not a reasonable event on its face, absent other extenuating circumstances.

Most broadly, I'm interested in ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY: Creating an environment where the proper people lead and the proper practices are followed, where great roleplaying games can be made again for -everyone-

It is individuals AND the industry's fault that we don't have more great Chris Avellone games.

And we're going to fix that come hell or high water.

(It may already by fixed for Chris -- but it still has to be fixed for everyone in similar situations)

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jeebus Chris! How will the Codex manage this thread being alive again, thus there being two legendary drama threads at once?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom