Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Arcanum Arcanum is a bit shit tbh

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Blackshirt, Sep 27, 2021.

1. FriendlyMerchant Learned

FriendlyMerchant
    OP made some good points. Too many good points to just be shitposting.

• No No x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ol' Willy Arcane Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    Haven't happened to me a single time

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Uuhhhh.... Arcanum has this...
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    NAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

That's a special magic and technological advancement available.

• Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. JDR13 Arcane

JDR13
    :takemyjewgold:

Here's your participation award.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Terenty Arbiter

Terenty
    Pretty sure you are not supposed to take Arcanum's setting that seriously. I mean every companion and 80% of dialogue is comedy, not some grimdark edgy serious shit like Poe that comes off as cringe.

Precisely because the writing is good the setting and characters are engaging and fun instead of embarrassing and flat like Outer Worlds that tried it's best to be funny, but failed miserably.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Impressive Organ Literate

Impressive Organ
    Finally, wizard steampunk has been destroyed with facts and logic.

• Funny x 7
    • feels good man x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    NPC interactions depend on your main char beauty, charisma and reaction modifier, if they're bad, trash-talking will go wrong.

Also, in 2021, who the hell doesn't know Arcanum was released buggy, that some bugs were never fixed and that Drog's UAP fixes erratic NPC behavior like guards attacking for no reason? (Among other things)

It never happened to me with UAP except when i really ask for it...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I'm using the UAP and don't trash talk.

• Fishy Fishy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ravielsk Scholar

Ravielsk
    Well, yeah its a somewhat unfinished CRPG from a time when CRPGs were fading out of the market. It being somewhat shit is a given. I have no idea why anyone would argue otherwise. It would be like arguing that Fable was not rushed and therefore somewhat under cooked, or that Dark Souls 2 was obviously recut in its final year of development.

Its just a fact of how the game was made.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    Maybe the background you picked is buggy and wasn't fixed, also, NPC are racist (possibly misogynous too) in Arcanum, could come from this as well.

Also, guards don't really side with you in Arcanum, except maybe if someone attack you on sight for no reason (bandit with low karma) and you have a good karma and a good reputation in the city.

You're not an upstanding citizen since you're not even a citizen, you just got there.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. d1nolore Learned

d1nolore
    It was pretty awesome 20 years ago, sorry you missed the magic of the era.

• Brofist x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Gandalf Learned

Gandalf
    No, Arcanum is a game.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    In some cases worldbuilding overpowers otherwise mediocre gameplay, this is one of those.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Cunt Dickula!? Arbiter

Cunt Dickula!?
    :what:

TAKE THAT BACK!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. kinzadza Educated

kinzadza
    This thread is a bit shit tbh

• Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • sheeeeiiiit x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Blackshirt Augur

Blackshirt
    Except yknow the main villain

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    It has so many shit points that OP come off as outright troll. Like terrible soundtrack, mc having no motivation, my favorite "assuming Arcanum 1885 world is identical to ours therefore..." etc.

I'm all for "tell me what's your favotite game and I'll tell you why it's shit" but any fan of Arcanum know its flaws anyway, no point in inventing a bunch of non-existent ones in order to try to prove or to provoke anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Valdetiosi Educated

Valdetiosi
    I would disagree.
    I was nearly stabbed to death by bunch of high schoolers all because I told them they look like fags.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    Combat shipped like that because Troika prepared one mode of combat and the publisher wanted a different mode of combat. So in the end they put both in, and the unfortunate result is evident.
    Everyone should play a fucking Gunslinger. It is not the most powerful build, but it is the most fun afaic.

Even though the combat is shit, Arcanum has an interesting setting, some awesome AWESOME quests that to me set the desired standard for other games as well, a lot of creativity in various systems which is always interesting (eg, inventory, crafting system at that time, news criers etc-etc) and possibly the best character creator of all time (definitely the best at that time and for long after).

So to me Arcanum is great mainly because of the character creator, the quests, and the abundant creativity.
    A consequence of the awesome character creator is how much fun I have every time I level up, and how much I desire to level up while playing it.
    A consequence of the abundant creativity is that the love that has gone into it is evident, and to me infectious.
    The great quests are just that, and I also suspect that they inspired other developers.

Fwiw, bear in mind that even if you don't like Arcanum, it probably inspired some of the developers you like.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Carpincho Pampeano Learned

Carpincho Pampeano
    Arcanum is unfinished but still a very solid game, i prefer an unfinished but ambitious game that the generic garbage that plays all the same that we have today. Game manuals not only disappeared because they don't want to waste paper/ whatever bullshit reason they might give you, it's because all games play the fucking same, if a remember right the manual of Arcanum included food recipes, how cool is that?

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. gaussgunner Arcane

gaussgunner
    Almost happened to me first thing in Tarant, but I killed the assassin, the bartender told me to cut it out, and that was that.

I guess it's to be expected with the first impression "reputation score" you get when NPCs first meet you, based on beauty etc. As a Half-Orc I realized that was gonna be a problem in Tarant so I changed into nicer clothing before I even went into the bar. It makes a big difference, the humans don't treat you like a nigger.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Carpincho Pampeano Learned

Carpincho Pampeano
    They kneeled before you even after burning their cities in peaceful protests?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I generally learned to run from everything as fast as possible and get the dog and fill out companions ASAP esp if i was a max char bitch. Then go back and level up and search everything. Seems WOOF levels with you and so do companions (at least before patches). I haven't played it in forever. I know i seem to recall they'd level as you did. Maybe I'm wrong. I loved thieving, char bitch, gunslinger, murder solo hobo, mages. I had a lot of fun just fucking around and not even messing with the quests. Thieving was funny as hell. Hobo engineer was cool as i would crawl in garbage can bottoms to maybe find junk. Just sooooooo damn slow on that computer.

I'd have to look up best patched setup and maybe mod it since i missed out on that shit.

In the meantime... i found an old DL of Typing of the Dead and it actually works on my win10 machine. All that golden voice acting.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I've seen a dog mentioned a couple of times.
    I found "Worthless Mutt" in Ashbury, but it was dead.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.