Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Arcanum LP [Tech/Evil][Fortified with memes][Finished]

Egosphere

Arcane
Very nice, but could we have more memes and hilarity instead of copy-pasted dialogue choices? I mean, we read them on screens, so what's the point?
they take the longest

memes? or copying the dialogue?
They both take a while, but the memes are longest. Repoasting the ones that fit is easy, but i usually start messing around with them in photoshop which takes time. And I don't want to simply spam the ones that are already flooding the internet, they'd grow stale quickly

Egosphere

Arcane
PART X: THE LORD OF THE (UN)DEAD

EB24zXM.png

The train takes us straight to the quaint little town of Ashbury. We arrive at midnight, the streets lit with the purple glow of the dancing love lights

Fp7zwFe.png

We are short on time. Dawdle at the station and a gnome will quickly deprive you of one of the best followers in the game.

yM732XP.png

JvSdWP9.png

Why are you kicking the dog?

U1eicez.png

I really wouldn't do that if I was you

IXLaZ7V.png

No longer shall you trouble existence with your mere presence!

bJtmsD4.png

Yeah, yeah..
The dog's happy to be rescued.

ervIrX1.png

Now, you might be thinking "the dog is mangy and it was being beaten to death by a gnome. It's pretty useless in a fight, right?" Wrong.

What you think you're getting:

0kVubYz.jpg

What you're actually getting:

SofC0iW.png

It's a beast. You can still lose him if he gets ganged up upon by gores or other high level enemies, but keep him safe and he'll be an invaluable companion.

He needs a name. How about 'Chaucer'? That'll do.

nyJHVIs.png

It's a grand old party

Ashbury's centrepiece is the haunted castle that looms large over the village

dl5Gzi1.png

We'll visit it shortly. First, anything of interest at the gunstore?

i5qc9HM.png

Nothing. The hand-cannon is one of the best firearms in the game. Off the top of my head, there's only 2 rifles that are better than it. So we'll refrain from buying weapon schematics.

What does the tailor think of Bates?

PJ9HSeN.png

Typical elfish snobbery. Off we go to Ashbury Premium Armature. Sounds exciting.

2O60Uhk.png

DfKg5DY.png

What? Armouries don't buy leather armour in Ashbury? F*** that.

We accost a few villagers for gossip.

E5AlVVc.png

Inexplicably one of the guards charges us just as we finish our conversation. It might be related to the dead gnome.

uTEkQxU.png

He has a weird inventory.

bw4XByn.png

Dragon Cologne? :| There might be some lore behind this of which I'm not aware. We'll see. He also has some nice gear.

l2v7BJz.png

(Not pictured is a round metallic shield, which I gave to Sogg)

Any other gossip?

UeFWDZj.png

Interesting

There's a big cemetery nearby and we go for a visit. More love lights on the way:

9jnO29H.png

There's a lonely mage wistfully standing watch over the graves. Mourning a lost loved one, perhaps?

DurrUIa.png

UFpfhED.png

As soon as he opens his mouth, you realize he's not mourning anyone. I don't think the guy is capable of mourning. He sounds like the most insufferable prick we've met on our journey so far.

aykzUDw.png

Byron. What are you doing?

60ERlPL.png

How droll..

eFzQ9bb.png

(A zombie walks into view during the conversation. Not all is as it first seems)

And what is your background, Geoffrey?

8rHxA43.png

Which college?

BttiHjl.png

What are you doing here?

The last of the sunlight is snuffed out by the night as we talk

Sh5hhfM.png

What's the problem?

7E7SDQ1.png

But if he's dead..

nTPwtF6.png

And so?

1GBDS43.png

Perhaps you need help?

HlMhiR6.png

Let's work together on this

AT1vkje.png

Here's your armour. *gives him shitty leather armour*

gP6bpaS.png

We charge straight trough the gate. Our sheer numbers shatter whatever stands in our way.

X3mo3oG.png

That mage ( I've already forgotten his name ) can conjure mummies. Nice.

lh8iBQZ.png

eIqD1B2.png

2vA0pRb.png

There's an expansive building in the cemetery, housing a conspicuous tombstone adorned with garish bouquets. There's a strange room adjacent to it: it traps several fire elements within, whilst a steam grate occasionally relieves the pressure via sporadic outbursts. There are buckets and a pool of dried blood underneath it. I honestly don't know what is happening here. Are they part of the legions of undead rising from their graves? Why are they in that little room? :?

There's a trapdoor leading underground nearby

7c3C9C6.png

The first level is just rats

hR38vSf.png

And the second level is a zombie maze. I was wondering where the mage was when we were half way through it. Apparently he had depleted his energy fighting the rats, fell unconscious and auto-ejected himself from the party. We have to go back and manually retrieve the bastard.

mJxD0mK.png

Oh yeah, it's 'us' who took our time :roll:

gGMp3gH.png

Trash mobs

3qiMeQt.png

44abmWz.png

AO1aksP.png

Boring, boring dungeon

We do level up though

XK0fTMC.png

1 point in intelligence it is, then

xgp1e25.png

Ominous long corridor at the end

aKh83jl.png

Now, this final room can be a little tricky for weak characters. I think it's the first instance of gores that we see in the game. It's the same sprite as the zombie, but blue. They're much stronger than their green brethren and hit pretty hard. I think they can poison you as well.

fO6R93q.png

We quickly deplete our emergency molotov stockpile to put them down

40pMUKM.png

50J2Sgv.png

The mummy conjured by the mage goes gore huntin'

RcdqvJG.png

But it's Sogg who finally puts him down

QTIPTKp.png

A jewel shimmers on the floor

FPT26sE.png

DmNzGlA.png

We get an unidentified mace as well

xqirRf9.png

Wait, so does the necromancer want it?

EPj50I6.png

It doesn't seem to register. Ok, then, tell me about Ashbury.

H3BFg4i.png

Gerontocracy

Let's go back then.

I7eTCRs.png

We've forgotten something? Let's go back, then!

En6CwNz.png

There's literally nothing here. Game's glitched.

We leave the place a 2nd time, but before we leave for good I've collected the (unique) epitaphs. Enjoy!

OnUDmwm.png

LXBXXkq.png

gGUsQ0Q.png

QGnd1Zj.png

Great Stillwater Beast

a9syFnM.png

ZB5wRvV.png

bZuV51B.png

37e4mrn.png

:lol::salute:

LAntIOl.png

I had no idea:cry:

gDIa7vD.png

uiGktJJ.png

iCF2v9n.png

DLQmq6q.png

5CFsLRC.png

Qcdy2s5.png

That doesn't sound like Chad

3zM0jS3.png

4d1AN2m.png

WJ6p1bA.png

xKuZi7m.png

:salute: Now that sounds like Chad

LZDC3gA.png

sQ9t0vE.png

oPdCShE.png

cxNtSEt.png

Many Chinese names in Ashbury. What means?

qJ4gcvm.png

A4jd6Tz.png

So back to the question of giving the gem to our newly acquired companion. We leave the cemetery and boot him from the party.

VpFJmUM.png

Then we invite him straight back in..

GBYz9IP.png

Wanna join?

Xh5PBZe.png

(Bug's fixed!) Here it is.

M54s3Mh.png

Sorry, Geoffrey, not now.

HoRbTHg.png

We leave him to play with his little green gem. Can we extract more info from the locals?

D01ODM6.png

The house is standing in a lane called 'harbour view' That's some view, you have.

k2LKpv0.png

Literally a 3 metre wide puddle

We go into the next house but the woman inside attacks us immediately. I don't know why.

mVuBE8C.png

Her neighbour is friendlier

ZLt81xn.png

And finally we reach some hapless chap who's in desperate need of our help

IrQ4s1R.png

You need my assistance

R2k3KFg.png

What's the problem?

8olUiPq.png

Wx5rG0E.png

Q57O6xN.png

You want me to go in there?

SFITOEK.png

What do I get out of it?

tD6Kux1.png

2..200 :lol::lol::lol: Yeah, ok, I'll play along for now

There's a poisonous arachnid inside the room

C5Pjhyw.png

xTlCnNZ.png

Get 'im, Chaucer!

With the iron spider out of our way, we descend into the huge basement. There's a crate in the middle and a chest to it's right. Get too close to the chest and you get your first encounter against a n Automaton. It's basically the arachnid, but upright, using it's free appendages to wallop you across the head.

uRlSGLs.png

He kills us in 1 hit :negative:

:dealwithit:

Where there's a will there's a way. Let's not approach the crate, keep close to the wall and slowly walk to the treasure chest. It works!

KFZU0Ns.png

It's beautiful..
But it weighs 1000 pounds, so we're forced to walk

NqfDfKd.png

Let me try it on real quick

LxDdIsf.png

Superb aesthetics. 200g or steampunk power armour? Haha. That's not even a choice.

euyawGH.png

n9TUvd4.png

13E4lko.png

Yeah, so?

uCIzb0S.png

giphy.gif

U2iC192.png

He tries to punch us, suffers a critical miss and knocks himself unconscious. Sogg and Gar then run hum through with their swords ( Gar shooting off his usual whinge about morals )

Heh. My sides still hurt a bit from that exchange.

Back at the town 'square' we run into the mayor

v14T0Fl.png

8sEm0ox.png

I'm Lord Byron

1aY9R3v.png

What's going on around here?

brjI7cF.png

Meeting?

PeNKLZc.png

Tell me more

qmdCI3d.png

I am always fascinated with local politics

6ENNMuk.png

Can I help?

ybJzH0E.png

xy736RK.png

I'll do it!

2y1hpay.png

qSajVFq.png

What's the human to halfling ratio in this room? Too low, in my opinion.

Ahem. Ladies and gentlemen, we are gathered here today to discuss the pressing matters concerning the construction of a certain monument in this very town. Let us discuss our options and reach a compromise on the matter. Any questions? Ah yes, the gentleman in the front row.

HJ4851X.png

A nice statue is an object of art and virtue for all to appreciate
(What are you, a philistine or something?)

nCIwKPj.png

Thank you, thank you. Any more questions? The gentleman in the red suit

3N4Y8Ji.png

T0zPLCs.png

Could both sides agree on a 3rd location, perhaps?

5Jwkjx3.png

:lol:

The little gentleman here, has another question!

IO0ktyP.png

Certainly, in Ashbury, a wealthy benefactor could be found!

CoKcqAF.png

pPRXmoJ.png

Dwarves will give us the highest quality!

LjQd7N3.png

Yes, the lady in the purple dress has a question

Xtv1hMc.png

Steel alloy on a granite base, of course. We will not settle for anything less!

nhvLrks.png

N3vDiRY.png

"Do it right the first time, or if that fails, the second time!"

They're not happy with that answer and the congregation disperses. It doesn't matter though. We've done well.

YAxeaTF.png

and we get a new reputation

KpPbkrD.png

We ask the mayor for gossip

RSVqCUr.png

Thank you for your time, mayor.

There's a junk trader not far from the town centre and he's selling something very very interesting

NlbjWaC.png

It's a Li'tani statuette, which is required for the ancient gods quest. The Dexterity gloves wouldn't go amiss either. Virgil gets a +2 DX.

8raxUas.png

There's some guy who sells just glasses. He might seem a bit redundant at first, but he'll show up in a later questline

ZIdXqpe.png

The Meager Draught pub is quite lively. Actually, it looks like the biggest pub in Arcanum, 2nd one being the seaside one in Blackroot.
L5YwfmW.png

More gossip

JKFxurW.png

Some guy calls me over

Dvm0XwW.png

He's with the Molochean Hand, so he attacks us. One of the guards attacks us as well. It seems to recurring in Ashbury.

q5Y2bqK.png

To the south is the prison. One of the inmates is quite a colourful character

bAUFaaF.png

Oh my

And finally we reach a man of religion who is not a Panarii prelate

XCrbx1u.png

Greetings. What is your name?

rbyFvOr.png

Can we trade?

77S4Gha.png

You appear religious, but not Panarii..

iUGuPQe.png

Tell me more

qYFoxfE.png

Peaceful? Not many like that, these days

kE3fu2I.png

Give penance?

JzbJMze.png

What happened?

8cKxWDf.png

How did you manage to do that to yourself?

DC1wYv9.png

Your order seems quite harsh

3eaqRq6.png

Your order's fanaticism is a disgrace! ( Not really. The guy was a high profile bandit after all. I'm surprised they didn't hang him )

kbsSued.png

If we restart the conversation and agree with the order's decision:

G0DTYO0.png

Your order sounds most interesting, sir

SrBYWJC.png

Now, I've read online that this guy is the Master of Firearms. I'm not yet expert unfortunately, so we'll have to buff up before we come back. A master usually has a quest for you in order to earn the highest rank in any skill. But it doesn't show up for us, yet.

There's a lonely halfling farmer who wants us to kill some wild pigs that have moved in on his land. The pigs are 'good' though, and your karma falls when you kill them. I kill one, but it feels so boring that I abandon the endeavor. There's some shady guy hiding behind the town hall.

PFegs2f.png

nu8189e.png

Any gossip?

ZBVm7HU.png

Let's pay it a visit then. But before we do that, we go back and retrieve Geoffrey. We'll need all the men we can get at this stage, even if they act like swine. The castle sits on a little island, connected to the mainland via a winding path.

aujbvXr.png

uavvBvZ.png

uTmCHH7.png

Zombies haunt its halls

ycowPsT.png

Not anymore

948JfbA.png

The mage casts some protective shield. Looks pretty impressive tbf

ZsaSvpJ.png

We begin to systematically clear the castle of the skeleton filth that has infested it. It's pretty boring, but the xp is always welcome

KVxVHsZ.png

fSnL8yb.png

PgXLnMZ.png

The throne room has ghouls

6N8oQgr.png

But we prevail through sheer numbers

goqT954.png

The castle is broken up into 3 levels: the ground floor ( this one ), upstairs and the basement. The latter 2 are locked away and you have to get the keys to access them. The key to upstairs is beside the throne, whilst the key to the basement is upstairs

Dfk8kem.png

There seems to be blood seeping from the walls. Spooky.

Q9BjMjx.png

Upstairs is exclusively reserved for skeletons

Pw14Eu7.png

They're pretty weak, but the bowmen can be annoying in real time, especially if the whole lot are targeting just one of your companions

GaGViDa.png

QKRlKCB.png

YqH0vD9.png

It's strange that a lot of the skeletons actually have money on them. The ghouls never drop anything.

piKN7uK.png

And up here we find the library, with a lesser lich accompanying the skeleton squad

XPed4c6.png

BTVd2Wd.png

Qo24PFk.png

cgV5HIw.png

The key to the downstairs is here, together with some goodies

VOyRNok.png

Gores guard the stairs to the basement, presaging the pain that will be dished out down there

kNyRxBz.png

Geoffrey conjures fire elemental. Nice!

Pi9VDFY.png

We level up just as we reach the downstairs and we finally learn how to craft the skeleton key

cUhwvAY.png

+10% lockpicking. Ten fucking percent :negative:
We're not robbing Bates. We'll have to either kill him or play along with his demands. :cry:

Moving our camera, we get a little preview on the head honcho of the haunted castle

8HtQitM.png

The main guy is the Lord of the Dead ( I think ). I'm not sure if it's Molochi Rench, but it's probably him. Who else could it be? Standing at approx. 10 feet tall, he's accompanied by the Lord's Slaves, which have a vicious attack that will immediately kill me if it connects.

REBnjNo.png

We circle around and stop just out of their sight in the next room. So what do we do? The Lord will always be accompanied by at least 2 slaves. If he's not aggro'd, then they will continue to rise from the ground. But there are far more than 2 slaves hidden away in the ground and we need to draw them out. Running inside is suicidal, since the Lord himself is level 50 ( I think ), whilst the slaves can 1-shot kill me. What follows is a prolonged game of cat and mouse: I tell my party to wait here, creep inside the room and wait until 1 or 2 of the slaves spot me. Then I flee. The slaves run after me and end up right in my trap, where they're outnumbered. That wouldn't mean much if the ai in arcanum was better, but the ai is so limited that the slaves chase me . I run around in circles whilst my party lands free hits. If a slave inadvertently finds himself hemmed in from all sides by my party members, only then does he start swinging haymakers ( which kill half of the party and force me to reload ). Soon their corpses decorate the floor.

IyaJntu.png

Alright, boys, it's make or break time. I gather my party and venture forth. The fight is tough. The slaves attack the party rather than chase me and I try to help wherever I can with molotovs. Gar and Sogg are brought within an inch of their deaths, but we pull through. Malachi Rench lies dead.

aFAvzBu.png

On him is an unidentified helmet. I can't remember what it is, but it's probably very evil and (unfortunately) magical.

MZwkg0R.png

There's over a thousand in gold on the floor and the chest near the far wall is a veritable treasure trove

kO3oDBL.png

All of it is unidentified, but that will have to wait for the next episode.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
here's a strange room adjacent to it: it traps several fire elements within, whilst a steam grate occasionally relieves the pressure via sporadic outbursts. There are buckets and a pool of dried blood underneath it.

How about a magic-powered crematorium? To burn bodies? It just doesn't explain the blood though.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Mother fucker.
You just got some Arcane Shield and mystic armor (I think mystic, could be Magick, can't remember the colouring).

Overall, I'm loving the LP.
One of the things I love about this game is the rewarding aspect of Arcanum. There's definitely some magnificent magic items out there for a magic warrior to use, which is a major plus since they can't craft their own shit.

Black

Arcane
The good thing about the Ashbury castle is that inside it (once you clear it out) is
a unique magickal staff that comes with the Teleport spell. It says it has limited charges but due to the way Teleport works the charges never get used up. What's more, it can be used by techies, provided they don't have too high of a tech aptitude, less than 85 should be fine

Egosphere

Arcane
baud, That makes sense. The fire's warped into elementals through the corruption of the gem.

Major_Blackhart, This is the first playthrough in which I won't be wearing any of it :cry: We'll see how it holds up on my companions once we're crossing the maelstrom of traps in the mines :positive:

Black, really? I'll have to scour it again. That sounds like it'll shave off hours of the backtracking.

Edit: Where's the staff? I only found a hexxed mace.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
baud, That makes sense. The fire's warped into elementals through the corruption of the gem.

Major_Blackhart, This is the first playthrough in which I won't be wearing any of it :cry: We'll see how it holds up on my companions once we're crossing the maelstrom of traps in the mines :positive:

Black, really? I'll have to scour it again. That sounds like it'll shave off hours of the backtracking.

It's not in the basement, it's in the guy's room in a chest that's normally locked magickally. Killing him should unlock it.

Egosphere

Arcane

It's not in the basement, it's in the guy's room in a chest that's normally locked magickally. Killing him should unlock it.

But that's the Snel Nfa castle. That's over in elf land beyond the mountains.

Black

Arcane
Shit, is it? Elfs and their silly names always have me confused. My bad.

Black

Arcane
Not a big deal, that power armor is just a shoddy bootleg. The real thing you have to craft and is really good.

Egosphere

Arcane
PART XI: THE GIFTED AND THE DAMNED

vfPGgvT.png

After uploading the last episode, Black tipped me off to the location of a powerful staff. It would later become clear that the staff was actually in another castle, but not before I made 2 sweeps across Malachi's abode. Those sweeps, however, were not in vain.
abyM5gC.png

The first goodie is an unidentified mace that is incredibly inconspicuous, resting amidst a welter of bones.

OBkxx9M.png

HQP2wpN.png

MMXfFkY.png

And in another room is a chest which I've missed, since it was conveniently tucked away behind a wall ( in isometric view)

BIc2FB9.png

WiQqSma.png

I thought that, perhaps, the staff might be equipped by one of the skeletons. For obvious reasons I didn't find it, but I did stumble upon a diamond

LOS3tbH.png

Not bad, not bad at all.

One of the gores attacks us as we go back up

qT8PSbc.png

My party deals with it and we finally escape from the oppressing atmosphere

QidHDGI.png

The guy whose armour we stole has decomposed already. All that's left is a pair of boots in a pool of blood.

PXknXrL.png

That still cracks me up
An old wise lady has decamped to the south. She'll identify our loot.

2ZLy5Qx.png

ukfgS3R.png

Major_Blackhart was right: mystic armour. It's small, though, so we won't be needing it

WbTTfjt.png

Dark Helm. It's the worst thing our character could wear, really. -1 Perception, +20 magic aptitude is just a no-no.

y42fWqX.png

Mystic gauntlets, also magical

wlj1nTb.png

And last, but not least, the Arcane shield. I can't remember how the maths works in Arcanum: those numbers in parentheses are conditional on your characters magic aptitude, I presume? So that, for example, my character gets far less out of the shield than Virgil or Geoffrey?

Oh yeah, and there's that mace we picked up in the basement:

b2i5Yqd.png

I ended up selling the thing in Tarant, but in hindsight I should have tested it because it sounds like an interesting item. First of all, it must be pretty unique since it's not even listed on Arcanum's wikia ( which is quite exhaustive when it comes to weapons ). It also has some interesting properties: if I'm reading that right, it should actually heal and restore fatigue of your enemy when you hit him. Would it have worked on my companions if I manually attacked them? We'll never know.

The gem of Malachi Rench is very pricey. The price is so high that I end up keeping it, thinking there might be some use for it ( most likely there isn't )

wKPpkFZ.png

So now we have the unenviable task of apportioning the loot. I spend 3 minutes mulling over what to give to whom, but in the end it's Arcanum: a few more levels and we'll be invincible as is anyways.

Virgil gets the helm and the gloves

W6zTSgo.png

Gar gets the dexterity gloves from Virgil

JQ9HnrK.png

and I give Sogg the shield, but then I realize I need it more than he does, even if it won't work too well with me

o4GzwXd.png

Note to self: need more bling, get some rings

The armoury has been restocked and we get our hands on the electro armour schematic

ZxxB9GP.png

BgGZ27e.png

I feared we'd need to be high level in smithing, so it's a pleasant surprise. We're in with a good chance to craft this in 10 levels time.

What say you, random spiffy gnome?

CEbsYnE.png

Alright, I think I'll adhere to the 80/20 principle and say with good certainty that we've squeezed out 80% of everything there is to do in Ashbury and searching for the last 20% will take us 5 times longer. Time to leave.

XB8XAcj.png

1VBnWrI.png

We've heard the rumours of an ancient shipwreck to the north. Let's go.

vNCD7S8.png

It's just a shipwreck. No enemies, no chests, no loot. Nothing. Alright then, let's go to the ancient temple.

2WE9Rz8.png

A warm welcome from the usual suspects

Keuwnpw.png

tNO3C3v.png

A huge symbol is emblazoned upon the floor. Looks like a bird with a thin neck.

KT9Ld6x.png

eI7NxWb.png

0VGjpe4.png

mnaEn9N.png

Ah, snake's head. Of course.. I knew that..

UnUn08S.png

iGTVujh.png

nFaS9Us.png

Not far from the entrance are a bunch of bone-butchers. They're basically skeletons who hide amidst piles of bone, transforming when you get too close

MW9czWb.png

ew4Du5s.png

7mC7HJr.png

There's a lot of them..

And at one end of the temple is a colourful gang guarding a treasure chest. Speaker of Evil, his acolytes, a giant black widow and some skeleton cannon fodder

IS3svbX.png

But before we take them on, a little passage to our right leads us to another altar

R5PKVgt.png

rB9sydO.png

Moorindal! I think he's one of the greater gods. We'll have to come back here at some point.

We try our hand at taking out the evil and fail miserably

eBHDmZM.png

I don't really have a lot of supplies at this point, so I reload and retreat. We're closer to Tarant than we are to Ashbury, so we end up there.

yWwadix.png

News

GfO3Lhj.png

:prosper:

We've level up in that damned tomb and we put another point in the electrical discipline. This lets us craft charged rings, which will give you a +1 boost to Dexterity.

qYNFpYw.png

YwLkMhx.png

:incline:

The magical armoury takes the small mystic armour off ours hands for just over 1k in gold coins

UkN9A57.png

I pick up the Sword of Air for Gar and trade in his broadsword.

WtgK51O.png

Some bin-dipping time later, we have a few molotov cocktails.

Aside: say what you want about Tarant, but those inset warrior sculptures in the outer walls of the city are pretty neat

1GvJ5wL.png

Back at the temple..

pc4wJZV.png

Since the speaker of evil wrecked us, why don't we go and explore the other side of the temple before tackling him? It's a lot more straightforward

FpR7mYl.png

There's a chest here, with an unidentified sword

ai3Lap2.png

The passage bifurcates a 2nd time: we take the southern route and reach a large library that seemed to double as a torture chamber for the necromancers

XsNgI82.png

There are 2 speakers of evil surrounded by muck walkers

NSHTYZ0.png

but their perception is poor af, so we storm the northern side of the room whilst the southern end remains oblivious to it all

sN6lFgZ.png

We clean up the remaining resistance and loot up. There are a bunch of scrolls on the ground and I give them to Geoffrey. There's also an Arcane chest. Hmm. Let's see what's inside:

wfjJLCC.png

Yeah, you saw that correctly

T6yhPYh.png

Grabbing all that I can carry, we stumble out of the room delirious with our luck. Moorindal, you're too kind!

The last passage is pretty simple, albeit it contains explosive traps that damage our armour

wY9GrEO.png

Geoffrey's chainmail is already half way to ruin

CPeY5sJ.png

We come upon the last room in the temple. There's a skeleton there, but he remains still and does not attack us. We rummage through the pile of dust beside him. There's more loot here:

5Xh9Yig.png

hwGaUK0.png

Here you go, Virgil

jMqNKDf.png

Can we speak to the skeleton? Yes we can.

VCCYZaw.png

The sound effects that embellish the voice acting here are great. They truly convey that fey, surreal nature of the exchange.

rR5eGOE.png

GzG7Iw4.png

NDW4UBS.png

3R1L4dv.png

But he does not answer our last question. The map has been auto-updated for us, anyways:

Ap19KUc.png

pwEfe1R.png

Bears guard the entrance

5Fri2OY.png

Heh. They used to be so much trouble for us when we were leaving Shrouded Hills for the first time.

9mJtGGn.png

iwSoDxa.png

The dragon temple is populated by giant ape-like monsters. The first is the Greater Gowrath

iwSoDxa.png

D9degsW.png

We kill him fairly easily. GG. Beyond are some dragarons

V2LWx48.png

and a chest with a key to unlock a passage

us5mFB0.png

Why does the game conflate the red health potions with the healing salves in my quick-access inventory?

mM58wp6.png

Up ahead, we encounter 3 Wargunns, Gowrath's big, pink brothers

vfqj74q.png

ri4tl09.png

jfCi2bg.png

Another chest, another unidentified sword

7r5kEci.png

7WKBtqA.png

All the dragons are down below. First up is Voltax, all by himself

M8Buqan.png

He's dead before he even reaches me

XSGmf5j.png

The pool of dragon blood is guarded by Frigidon, who's too much of a chicken to face us himself, so he has surrounded himself with a pack of purple midgets

Z4vxJEj.png

Zzgj61L.png

OZhCTjJ.png

Click on the pool and you'll get a vial of the blood. You don't need an actual vial.

LaLBVBX.png

If you put the vial in your quick slot inventory, its sprite is a chicken drumstick. Thought you should know.

X7P0lH9.png

We go back to the temple and throw it over the skeleton

q6YGLpu.png

and hey presto, he turns into a human

XhmCsCP.png

PFUnmvz.png

W0MuKix.png

QVUxZ4c.png

XOclJ0f.png

Might I impose a few questions upon you, Torian Kel?

WTfYKtD.png

I have quite a few, actually. What is this place?

SDAVJ8Q.png

Hol up, hol up, so you saying you know the Molochean hand? Let's start over. What the hell is the Derian Ka?

7JqX5eU.png

czfXFlV.png

t2XiVCS.png

SOBVfma.png

LXvja9m.png

SbteqPc.png

HrQzqzg.png

yx78UOh.png

The Gray Legions? ( Why did they spell 'gray' like that? Tis England, not 'Murica! )

txVZhfF.png

A great battle?

SPC2vTd.png

kLGx0gX.png

jcZereK.png

xF7Qewu.png

You were the 'last'?

WvnneBf.png

C24cQIr.png

wv3zjgd.png

what will you do now, Torian?

ayGnE3a.png

Come with me, then

fOk3c13.png

We might find answers together

al34g5e.png

Will you join me?

opikpG6.png

OH FFS.

Geoffrey, it's been a pleasure (lol) but it's time for you to leave. We need all the swordmasters we can get with the booty we got back there. If I ever max my Cha, I might, just might, come back and retrieve you.

021Yluj.png

39zArhP.png

8PHwTlA.png

Not bad. Let's go.

So that's that. After Kerghan's banishment, the Derian Ka formed as a secretive cult that kept the necromantic practices alive. Following a schism, an offshoot calling themselves the Molochean Hand wages war against the root organization. The Molochean hand held a pyrrhic victory over the Derian Ka when they met the Gray Legions. But now they're back, and they want me dead. Why? Perhaps Torian Kel will help us uncover the truth.

That's it for today's episode. Now I want to shore up my meandering adventure and focus my attention on a few things in the next episode:

I) We need to visit Bates and accept his quest, finish the quest and visit him again
II) We need to talk to the thieves in Tarant, who had a job in store for us when we hit a certain level
III) Give the Bessie Toone mine back to her daughter
IV) Clear out the ancient maze down beside Dernholm
V) Find an amulet of beauty, if we can

in that order. We've spent a great deal of time invested in the side content. It's time to go back to the main quest.

Last edited:
I consider Torian Kel to be one of the best examples of non-linear storytelling in open world RPGs. In a world with plenty of side dungeons with mostly environmental storytelling but no actual main plot significance, here is an ancient temple that looks like it could be a random filler dungeon but in reality contains some really cool context for the main plot and a companion that is both useful and really fucking dreamy. This moment made a huge impression on me the first time I played the game and thankfully there are others like in in the game.

TK himself I think is a great character, even though like other companions besides Virgil he has little interactivity going forward. He is a slave to his tragic past, an old veteran who knows little beyond war and brutality - thus the evil alignment, I suppose - but his goal is ultimately noble and relatable (he wants what he thinks is best for his dead comrades) and he is disciplined in the old ways to the point of having a sense of honor and loyalty. I believe he does get pissed off at you if you become too evil for his liking, too. Anyway I own multiple dakimakuras of the man. I recommend the honeydakionline web-boutique for all your custom dakimakura needs. First time you order they throw in sewn-in gel buttocks and even a mount for a complimentary Prolapser® Diccsticcfor free and everything - now that's great value that you just can't beat.

Egosphere

Arcane
I consider Torian Kel to be one of the best examples of non-linear storytelling in open world RPGs. In a world with plenty of side dungeons with mostly environmental storytelling but no actual main plot significance, here is an ancient temple that looks like it could be a random filler dungeon but in reality contains some really cool context for the main plot and a companion that is both useful and really fucking dreamy. This moment made a huge impression on me the first time I played the game and thankfully there are others like in in the game.

TK himself I think is a great character, even though like other companions besides Virgil he has little interactivity going forward. He is a slave to his tragic past, an old veteran who knows little beyond war and brutality - thus the evil alignment, I suppose - but his goal is ultimately noble and relatable (he wants what he thinks is best for his dead comrades) and he is disciplined in the old ways to the point of having a sense of honor and loyalty.

Yeah, it doesn't sit right with me that they gave him a -20 alignment. How is he evil? He refuses to follow you if you have a positive alignment, which is just laughable. His past isn't much worse than Virgil's.

Yeah, it doesn't sit right with me that they gave him a -20 alignment. How is he evil? He refuses to follow you if you have a positive alignment, which is just laughable. His past isn't much worse than Virgil's.

Well, I suppose when you try to cram nuanced characters into the retarded GUD/EBUL moral compass you get some equally retarded results.

AFAIR you can still recruit him if you have good morality and very high persuasion - I believe 4 points + expert.

Egosphere

Arcane
another arcane item, and a greatsword at that? you must be a lucky bastard

I think I read somewhere that your character's name has some input into the placement of the items in the chests. I wonder if it replicates in different playthroughs.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
latest

There's something weird about it and it may be my brain | Its not them coming to kill me that would worry me | I have never seen one that large

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
latest

Would that explain the strange poking sensation in your behind? | The pimps were easy to cut down, but the prostitutes will get you in the end | Size doesn't matter if you are wearing it

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
latest

Just because I am touching you doesn't mean you can be bad | I was working hard and got distracted, and I guess I put my finger someplace wrong | Spank it, is that how you do this?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom