Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Arcanum Now Compatible With Windows 7 on GOG

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Dec 6, 2010.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura; Troika Games

<p>Exactly when I thought I should make a Troika game newspost <a href="http://www.gog.com/en/news/more_games_windows_7_compatible/" target="_blank">Good Old Games announced</a> that <strong>Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura</strong> is<strong> </strong>now compatible with Windows 7.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p><a href="http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura?as=1649904300" target="_blank">Learn more about <strong>Arcanum</strong></a>, arguably the best RPG since Arcanum and quite possibly the best RPG ever according to Vault Dweller:</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>Welcome to an industrial revolution in a world of magic! Imagine a place of wonder, where magic and technology coexist in an uneasy balance, and an adventurer might just as easily wield a revolver as a flaming sword. A place where great industrial cities house castle keeps and factories, home to Dwarves, Humans, Orcs and Elves alike. A place of arcane runes and steam-works, of magic and machines, of sorcery and science. Welcome to the land of Arcanum!<br /><br /> In this one-of-a-kind cRPG the world adapts to your decisions! Whether you choose the path of magic or technology, good or evil, characters will react differently to your character. You can finish each quest in many ways &ndash; bribing, dueling, negotiating and more! With a huge map, more than 300 unique characters and monsters, plus many different endings to unravel, this game will keep you busy for a long, long time.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2021
    ^ Top  
  2. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    ...I've never had a problem running my old CD-based copy Arcanum on Windows 7. So yeah.

^ Top  
  3. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    Their installer hasn't been Win7 compatible until now?

What kinda fucking operation system have I been running then?!

^ Top  
  4. Jack █▓▒░ Patron

Self-Ejected
    Insert Title Here
    I was just thinking the same thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    I think it's more about the fact that they couldn't certify yet that the game was 100% compatible with 7.

^ Top  
  6. Black Arcane

Black
    If it's not Drogg approved, I don't want it.

^ Top  
  7. baronjohn Cipher

baronjohn
    Arcanum is also compatible with Linux and Wine. Why would you want to run that piece of shit, Windows?

^ Top  
  8. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Mass Effect 2 doesn't run on Fagnux.. :smug:

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    And why would you want to run that piece of shit? :smug:

Oh yeah Chakwas :oops:

^ Top  
  10. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    :P

You know I was thinking that for ME3, they should do like at the end of Moonraker, where Jaws and his ho float away on the space station, only with Shep and Chakwas doing the same here after sacrificing themselves to slaughter the big bad at the end of the game. Shep finally realises that old=gold and sacrifices himself for the ultimate experience....

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Gonchi Liturgist

Gonchi
    Codex USB, 2014
    Arcanum is arguably the best RPG since Arcanum?

:retarded:

^ Top  
  12. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    it's called a joke, ever heard of that?

^ Top  
  13. timong Novice

timong
    being a kind of 'linux advocate' tried that when got gog version. it was slow to unusable under wine. luckily i have dualboot.

^ Top  
  14. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I didn't even know that and i use linux exclusevily.

Who is the fag here?

:smug:

^ Top  
  15. baronjohn Cipher

baronjohn
    Good thing it runs on Linux then. :smug:

^ Top  
  16. Havoc Cheerful Magician Patron

Havoc
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You are.

^ Top  
  17. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :M
    Enjoy your 'cinematic' experience manly hetero guy. Don't forget to try all the romances.

For the content.

^ Top  
  18. Havoc Cheerful Magician Patron

Havoc
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, I shall. Yes. I. Shall. :smug:

Wait...

ME2 cinematics?

:rage:

^ Top  
  19. Monkeysphere Novice

Monkeysphere
    Linuxtards are always so vocal about their piece of shit OS.

^ Top  
  20. CrimHead Scholar

CrimHead

^ Top  
  21. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Since there is no chance of getting anything new from Arcanum and this is quickly devolving into just-because-you-have-not-encountered-any-bugs-does-not-mean-there-are-no-bugs-you-fucking-noob, I'm requesting that we derail the thread into the more entertaining if-you-think-there-are-too-many-fetch-quests-please-point-them-out-in-this-table-you-fucking-noob

^ Top  
  22. AlaCarcuss Arbiter

AlaCarcuss
    Once apon a time, I would have said the same thing.

I now think though, Windows with version 7, after what?.... 17 or so years in development, has finally reached a point where Linux no longer seems as attractive an alternative.

Unless you need your OS to be free (though I've never bought a copy of Windows in my life), run on antiquated hardware and/or just like being different, Linux simply offers no advantages over Windows 7. In fact for many people, Linux has pleanty of disadvantages.

That's not to say I don't still tinker with it from time to time, but I just don't see the point.

On Arcarnum - yeah, they (GoG) are only now getting around to certifying their games as 'Windows 7' compatible, not necessarily having to do anything to make them compatible.

^ Top  
  23. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    With issues. You just don't get the total pant creaming experience with fagnux. Chakwas doesn't look half as fuckable.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Arcanum does have too many fetch quests. Like the one to bring mithril to that one dude, or the one to give a guy a shoe, or the one to bring some jackass a camera, or the one where you have to find a painting...

^ Top  
  25. baronjohn Cipher

baronjohn
    Windows 7 = Vista with better social media marketing.

That's because you're a know-nothing retard.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.