Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum police problem..

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
I just started playing Arcanum, and I'm in Tarant. This lady asks for my help so I go to her house and she tells me she needs to steal something from a grave or some such. I choose the "thievery is below me etc" option, and the turd starts attacking me. So I do nothing to her, just run outside, and what do I get but police rushing to attack me. I hear great this about this game but if the game does things like this then I'm not too inclined to continue...Is there something I'm missing here?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
She's an full-on all artisto-cat with friends in high places, and damnit you better do what she tells you to do, or she'll claw your eyes out. Roleplaying!

Possibility is also that it's a bug.

Slylandro

Scholar
@OP

Are you talking about the woman who asks you to meet her in her house later to discuss a secret business proposition, which you discover to involve theft of Elven artifacts? If you insult her or decline her proposition, she will insist you leave her house at once or she'll call the police. If you don't leave in about 10 seconds give or take she starts wailing on you for "trespassing" and the police show up. It shouldn't happen if you leave the premises when you're told.

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
Slylandro said:
Are you talking about the woman who asks you to meet her in her house later to discuss a secret business proposition, which you discover to involve theft of Elven artifacts? If you insult her or decline her proposition, she will insist you leave her house at once or she'll call the police. If you don't leave in about 10 seconds give or take she starts wailing on you for "trespassing" and the police show up. It shouldn't happen if you leave the premises when you're told.
Yes that's exactly her, but immediately when she blows me off, she starts attacking me, no chance to leave. Is this kind of stuff going to happen often or is this a fluke? By the way should I play on real time? When I use turn based inside a town the game hangs on some NPC's turn :|

Gambler

Augur
I don't think it's a bug. Different characters can have different initial reactions from different NPCs based on their race/beauty/background. If reaction falls to 0 as a result of your dialogue choices, then you will be attacked.

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
Gambler said:
I don't think it's a bug. Different characters can have different initial reactions from different NPCs based on their race/beauty/background. If reaction falls to 0 as a result of your dialogue choices, then you will be attacked.
Yes that's fine but why are the police attacking me? I did nothing wrong..

Seven

Erudite
NoisyKillerHPB said:
Gambler said:

You're a stranger, she's a citizen (a very wealthy one at that). She cries thief and you get the shaft. The world is a very unfair place--btw, you're not playing as a half-orc, are you?

Slylandro

Scholar
NoisyKillerHPB said:
Gambler said:

She pretends you're a trespasser on her property; she has the right to 'defend' herself I guess.

Yes that's exactly her, but immediately when she blows me off, she starts attacking me, no chance to leave. Is this kind of stuff going to happen often or is this a fluke? By the way should I play on real time? When I use turn based inside a town the game hangs on some NPC's turn

Depends on what character build you have and what people are following you. General rule of thumb-- a mage should almost always use TB. Fighters will do well in RT. Also IIRC you can switch from RT to TB in midfight if you need to. You shouldn't use TB against golems, they're imbalanced in that mode.

The guard thing is a fluke, the only times guards have attacked me are when I robbed someone (and was caught), if I was caught picklocking, or if I got into a barfight with some other people (the guards usually end up attacking both of you).

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
Seven said:
a stranger, she's a citizen (a very wealthy one at that). She cries thief and you get the shaft. The world is a very unfair place--btw, you're not playing as a half-orc, are you?
I suppose...and no, I'm playing a dwarf. I think my character sucks pretty bad in combat though and everyone seems to hate him for some reason ;/. I might start over with a new char, but I don't really know how specialized I can/have to make him in this game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, I think it's very improbable, but maybe your CPU is so damn fast that Arcanum is confused and thinks 10 seconds have passed in a blink?

Jim Kata

Arbiter
NoisyKillerHPB said:
Slylandro said:
Yes that's exactly her, but immediately when she blows me off, she starts attacking me, no chance to leave. Is this kind of stuff going to happen often or is this a fluke? By the way should I play on real time? When I use turn based inside a town the game hangs on some NPC's turn :|

It's because of directx. Since microsoft is so retarded old games that rely on timing don't work - you get milliseconds instead of seconds.

Top Hat

Scholar
Tips Top Hat. Greetings!

Jim Kata said:
It's because of directx. Since microsoft is so retarded old games that rely on timing don't work - you get milliseconds instead of seconds.

It sounds like we need a Windows-version of MoSlo.

Exit.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Top Hat said:
Tips Top Hat. Greetings!

Jim Kata said:

It sounds like we need a Windows-version of MoSlo.

Exit.

It's not a cpu issue, but a retarded microsoft programmer issue. Basically, directx is not (and has never been) very backwards compatible due to extremely poor design decisions and some bad programming.

Jim Kata said:
NoisyKillerHPB said:
Slylandro said:

Is that why my characters in Ultima VII move at 300mph?

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Admiral jimbob said:
Jim Kata said:
NoisyKillerHPB said:
Slylandro said:

Is that why my characters in Ultima VII move at 300mph?

No, that is a dif'rent issue. That does not use directx at all and was made before it was around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom