Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Unofficial patch 2.0 released! (UPDATE)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
On October 1st Drog Black Tooth has released a new version of his Unoffical Arcanum Patch! After almost 10 years (last version has been released in December 2009) he decided to give us even better version of an already great patch. Even though some of the changes might be considered as questionable by some, it adds many interesting features nonetheless and includes HQ Townmaps, HQ Music and HR patch as well which makes the installation of Arcanum mods that much easier.
iu

You can download it here: http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/uap.html#download

But let the man speak for himself:
Drog Black Tooth said:
The $500 stretch goal has been reached. The long awaited new version of the Unofficial Arcanum Patch will be released on October 1.
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for the support. You guys are amazing! Keep this going and we will do some truly amazing things with this game! The highlights of this release include:

- Everything is now in one pack, no need to follow any installation guide anymore.
- A huge amount of extra animations has been restored from an earlier build of the game, there are now downwards attack animations for all weapon/armor/shield combinations, as well as for most enemies. There are also animations for walking with your weapons out.
- Much longer and higher quality ambient tracks have been restored from an earlier build of the game.
- All official DLC (7 modules in total including the rare Lost Dungeon of Souls) are now included in the patch. High quality townmaps have been compiled for all of them, including the stock Vormantown.
- There's now a selection of beta content restoration modules as well as miscellaneous popular mods such as "Virgil's Debug Menu", all optionally selectable in the installer.
- You can now disable your party members auto-level scheme and distribute their points manually. This includes summoned and mind controlled creatures.
- All party members can now craft, simply right-click on their portrait and choose "Schematics".
- The high resolution patch has now been updated with 32 bit color depth support ensuring better compatibility with Windows 10.
- Music is now available in all modules, not just the base game.
- Added a '-cheatmode' command line switch that re-enables the official cheats.
- Some fixes for certain popular exploits have been rolled back.
- As usual, there are many new bug fixes and content restorations.

In the spoiler below you will find full changelog:
Version 191001 (1.5)
  • Patch version is now displayed in the main menu at all times.
  • HQ Music and HQ Townmaps packs are now included in the base patch by default. Additionally, HQ Townmaps have also been compiled for the Vormantown campaign and other stand-alone modules.
  • The Extra Animation pack is now also part of the base patch, it's been redone from scratch with painstaking care, plenty of bugs and nuances with it were ironed out, more engine patches have been added to make all the animations play properly.
  • Added a '-cheatmode' switch, which enables Troika's original cheat mode, see Documents\Cheat Mode.txt for an explanation on what it does.
  • Included much longer ambient tracks recovered from a pre-release build of the game.
  • Included an improved version of Virgil's Debug menu, which now works with all 3 versions of Virgil. New features include making everyone in the party catch up to the player's level and going to secret locations, such as Cattan, Fan Graveyard and Old Blind Master's hideout.
  • High Resolution Patch now has 32 bit color depth support (and defaults to it) for better Windows 10 compatibility.
  • Music is now available for all modules, not just the main campaign.
  • Added aging, every year everyone's age stat gets increased by 1.
  • You can now disable your party members auto-level scheme and distribute their character points yourself if you so desire.
  • For this reason, a 'schematics' option has been added to the party member context menu so that even the followers without this dialog option will still be able to craft items if they have invested into technology.
  • Swapped R and Space keys around for an easier switch to the combat mode, and moved Quick Load from F8 to F9 to prevent accidental presses since Quick Save is F7.
  • Fixed the Pure Melee-Dodge auto-leveling scheme. Now it always reaches DX 20.
  • Stiletto now bypasses AC and DR.
  • Fixed issues with large jackets/rags inventory and paper doll graphics.
  • Fixes issues with the Half Ogre Island captain sometimes not spawning (mostly affects High Resolution Patch).
  • Restored the original art for medium and small venom jackets.
  • Added missing graphics for small size barbarian armor.
  • Added ground art for different barbarian armor.
  • Spirits Snake's amulet is no longer a copy of Dorian's Amulet, now has its proper art restored.
  • Orcs (and Gar) can now wear technological plate armor.
  • Gar is now a full blooded orc game logic wise (meaning race name, race icon etc) to further trick the player, all the way until the reveal where his stats will change to human.
  • Creatures summoned by NPCs not in the player's party will no longer attack others without provocation.
  • NPCs will longer cast Purity of Water in combat, since it's just a Beauty increasing spell
  • Reverted from earlier patches: removed the permanent follower glitch failsafe hack.
  • Reverted from earlier patches: Half Ogre Island is teleportable again.
  • The magic weapon button is now purged on save load to prevent glitches.
  • Moved Tarant's starting location to the other end of the bridge.
  • All former Extra Pack content has now been merged in the base patch.
  • Clockwork Physician is now red in color (just like Medical Arachnid) while Explosive Decoy is green.
  • Adjusted Schreck's Pistol's stats, from D:1-20 to D:5-25.
  • Adjusted Levered Machine Gun's stats, from D:1-40 FT:1-5 to D:10-40 FT:1-10.
  • Fixed a mana calculation issue with the Teleportation spell, which made it not cost any charges if put on an enchanted weapon, like the Staff of K'an T'au.
  • It's no longer possible to accidently drink the Cure the Blind potion.
  • Arronax's shell is no longer destroyable with AoE spells or grenades.
  • Added item descriptions for Tech Manuals, Stiletto, various grenades and explosives.
  • Fixed a number of issues with Stringy Pete's quest. Now, killing Molly Williamson botches the quest in your logbook and gives you the curse. Joe Bob Williamson's dialog script is working now. The map to Stringy Pete's cove now has correct inventory art.
  • Added side bezels to the bottom panel graphics.
  • Fixed broken shading on CreateChar and PreGenChar menu backgrounds.
  • Fixed minor graphical artifacts in the character sheet menu background.
  • Fixed a number of issues with various inventory and barter menu backgrounds.
  • Fixed the ShopMap (green grass field) sometimes bleeding through loading screens.
  • Fixed slightly off text offsets in character sheet -> tech ranks.
  • Removed a patch of broken tiles just outside the map border at the Crash Site (including the townmap).
  • Removed many bushes from the ship's deck on the Half-Ogre Island.
  • Dark Elves and Ogres NPCs now have different portraits from Elves and Half-Ogres.
  • Fixed a mana calculation issue with the Teleportation spell, which made it not cost any charges if put on an enchanted weapon, like the Staff of K'an T'au.
    It's no longer possible to accidently drink the Cure the Blind potion.
    Arronax's shell is no longer destroyable with AoE spells or grenades.
    Added item descriptions for Tech Manuals, Stiletto, various grenades and explosives.
    Fixed a number of issues with Stringy Pete's quest. Now, killing Molly Williamson botches the quest in your logbook and gives you the curse. Joe Bob Williamson's dialog script is working now. The map to Stringy Pete's cove now has correct inventory art.
    Added side bezels to the bottom panel graphics.
    Fixed broken shading on CreateChar and PreGenChar menu backgrounds.
    Fixed minor graphical artifacts in the character sheet menu background.
    Fixed a number of issues with various inventory and barter menu backgrounds.
    Fixed the ShopMap (green grass field) sometimes bleeding through loading screens.
    Fixed slightly off text offsets in character sheet -> tech ranks.
    Removed a patch of broken tiles just outside the map border at the Crash Site (including the townmap).
    Removed many bushes from the ship's deck on the Half-Ogre Island.
    Dark Elves and Ogres NPCs now have different portraits from Elves and Half-Ogres.
    The game icon has been redrawn from scratch.
The game icon has been redrawn from scratch.
3aBwJbK.png

I've heard about him trying to get some funding for this but figured there was a slim chance of him doing anything but with 1.5 patch released it's time to give him some PLN: http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/uap.html
Drog Black Tooth said:
Now accepting donations to fund further updates, such as Unofficial Arcanum Patch 2.0. Currently planned features include 3 extra playable races: full blooded orcs, full blooded ogres and dark elves, as well as more engine improvements and new features. Click the button below to support the project! And make sure to check our Discord server for donation status and progress updates.

O3TpjWP.png

Edit:
Workaround for Win 11 players:
you did actually help me find workaround.
high res is part of 2.0, used that one.
I started by checking if its indeed the one causing issues. Drog provided easy uninstall script so it went fast - indeed game starts without highres.
Then I started fiddling with available options. Turns out it crashes only in full screen mode.
As such I can run it fine in windowed, too bad there is no borderless option.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Who the fuck donates to closed-source software?
Fans who can only count on some Russian programmer to fix and enhance a long forgotten (by a publisher) game. I see nothing wrong with it, you're paying for his time after all, especially since he actually delivered. I'm amazed that he got this much money but now I'll donate myself because I love Arcanum almost as much as Fallout and Age of Decadence.

Summoning EverlastingLove because it's one of his favourites games as well.

'Sup Drog?

Drog delivers, for good or bad.

I am glad he is doing a good job.

Pretty cool!

But what the game really needs is a combat overhaul...

What the game REALLY needs is an Open-Source Port, an OpenArcanum if you will.

There is one, but its in initial stages.

Then we can do the best combat overhaul ever. Imagine, tactical turn-based combat in Arcanum...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Who the fuck donates to closed-source software?
Fans who can only count on some Russian programmer to fix and enhance a long forgotten (by a publisher) game. I see nothing wrong with it, you're paying for his time after all, especially since he actually delivered. I'm amazed that he got this much money but now I'll donate myself because I love Arcanum almost as much as Fallout and Age of Decadence.

I share your enthusiasm, but I'm thinking longterm implications. If he goes inactive for whatever reason, the project is dead and the community would have to start from scratch if they want an updated patch. Not to mention, blocking outside contributions is a questionable choice for a fan patch.
Considering the alternative, i.e. we get nothing I still see nothing wrong with it. If he won't release patch 2.0 than a bummer, it's calculated risk and I won't regret giving him 10 USD for patch 1.5 (and his previous patches, including the high poly patch for VTMB) while at the same time increasing the chances of getting patch 2.0.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Now i can plan my Dalton run, 4 gunmen, one gnome, one dwarf, one human or orc and an ogre.

iu

I'm not sure it's possible as i never did it but i think it's possible to get Lucan (i think) to join you, the bandit boss guarding the bridge in the first village.
With Sogg, Magnus and a gnome main char, the gang would be full, maybe i'd add the dog as Rantanplan ...

Well, first, i'll finish ATOM.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This is fantastic news! For some reason I absolutely love replaying Arcanum in the autumn. Not sure why, it must be the violins and gloomy streets of Tarant which resonate with the rainy weather.

Urbanolo

Augur
The game lags as hell (it doesn't happen with multiverse edition, at least it didn't when I last played it), what to do?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom