Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Archeage beta impressions

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Guise I gave it a quick look and I gotta warn you all...Just...Just..... don't.
Just don't.
I really don't understand the appeal of this shit. But I'll try to be brief.
First we find outselves in the cell for character creation...
000.jpg

Oh wait wrong game...
Ahem...
cinematics please.

002.jpg

Cool shit happens with no context. But who cares.
Then the char creation comes up.
Do you want to be humans...

003.jpg

Who recover quickly after being raised from resurrection? And construct buildings quicker than any other races?
Or will you take the elves...
004.jpg

Who are masters of swimming and can hold their breath for 20 seconds longer underwater. :lol:
But nothing can ever prepare you for the awesomeness of the Cat Race.

005.jpg

They climb trees/ladder 10% quicker and take 20% less fall damage. Because...they're cats.
So we have human, elves, and furfags...BUT WAIT. DONT YOU WANT TO BE ASIAN!?

006.jpg

30% Portal Mastery means they cast recall 30% quicker and 30% recharge quicker.
Also they have 10% Bonus to farming. :lol: At least they're not wearing coolie hats, amirite?
I picked sorcery cause it's cool man..

007.jpg

And then off to another slideshow trying to set the tone.

008.jpg

Replace Harani with Chinks from now on.

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

:lol: OK I'm completely immersed in the Ching Chang Chong. I'm ready.
Show me the world of Harani where I will fight on my own terms and retreat when the odds look grim and return to stri-
001.jpg

:what:

Transmission stops here.
I believe pictures are worth 1000 wtfs.

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

:hmmm:
015.jpg

016.jpg

:killit:
014.jpg

Castanova

Prophet
I hate to say it but I'm actually really enjoying this game. It's definitely an MMORPG, so don't get the wrong idea, but it addresses a lot of issues I have with other MMOs.

* Open-world PvP is glorious and leads people to group up with other random people while doing quests. That would never happen in WoW, or at least there's no reason to make it happen.
* It's critical to do some sort of crafting. At a minimum, you need to mine + craft in order to keep up your supply of teleport stones. But there's a ton of other useful stuff to craft. There's a whole economy to the game and this is the first MMO I've played where crafting feels useful and not like some side activity that they put in to satisfy the noob players.
* It doesn't look like a Disney movie.
* It doesn't cost money to buy the box. I do think it's fairly important to be a subscriber, though, or the game is needlessly annoying. That being said, with a little patience (or just one month of subscribing) you can set up a base of operations that easily lets you earn enough gold to buy subscriptions through the auction house. So if you're very sensitive about money, you could get away with a total of $15 cost for the game. if you're EXTREMELY sensitive, you could pay nothing.
* Customizable character build system with lots of choices. Fun stuff.

The only downside is that there is a theme park element as you level up, especially pre-level 30 (out of 50). But it doesn't take super long to hit the level cap so I'm just powering through it.

Quatlo

Arcane
As old time Lineage 2 addict will I find this game enjoyable?
Can I gank people with friends and see them explode like pinatas full of items?

Castanova

Prophet
Nah. You don't get people's items when you kill them. If you die in PvP the only thing that happens is you lose "Honor Points" and you have to respawn at one of the respawn points (inconvenience).

Veelq

Augur
You can grief ppl a lot in this game, being a douche is just one of the playstyles. But there is a jail for them too. Ppl doing trade runs when they transport packs of goods, if its in pvp zone you can kill them and take their pack and transport it to npc to get money. Ppl make farms in wild, called "illegal farms". They will be ready to gather after some time so you can time it and get their stuff before them. They are illegal cuz you get infamy points for "stealing" from them. You can go to sea and destroy ppls ships with trade packs on them, you can steal those packs and transport them to npc for a reward, you can even become a pirat and doesnt care about jail system at all. You can be a pretty mean person in Archeage.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Ppl doing trade runs when they transport packs of goods, if its in pvp zone you can kill them and take their pack and transport it to npc to get money.

I heard the original trader you stole from gets a consolation prize too, though?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Haha, waiting in Halcyona during war time for bright eyed newbies to enter the zone and get the fuck ganked out of them is always fun.

Veelq

Augur
Ppl doing trade runs when they transport packs of goods, if its in pvp zone you can kill them and take their pack and transport it to npc to get money.

I heard the original trader you stole from gets a consolation prize too, though?

Crafter gets 20% of what the thief will get for selling it to npc. Price depends on : how long is the trip, how many ppl do this particular run.

RK47

Patron
Well, the thing is, the consolation prize is not really a consolation since people did the caravan run for guilda stars.
It's like 'thanks for losing, suckers' kinda of thing.

fuckbreakfast.jpg

:lol:

Last edited:

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Finally managed to play the game. I made a catperson and some npc gave me a snow lion for a mount. Good stuff, your mount evolves with you and you can even equip it with items.
After two to three hours of playing, the game becomes more and more unresponsive until it crashed for me. Don't know if it's because of ram or gpu over heating.

World design is too linear in the start(I'm level 11) but the pacing is good. Quest givers are always near and you never feel that you waste time. There is always something to do. Crafting and resource collecting seems kinda popamolish and pay to win because of labour points. Not sure what can you craft yet.

Definitely gonna give it a chance for the coming week.

subotaiy

Cipher
I gave up, I don't have the patience anymore to endure hours of chore to get to the funny bits. Doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of crafting or the gay asian graphics.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I gave up, I don't have the patience anymore to endure hours of chore to get to the funny bits. Doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of crafting or the gay asian graphics.

Pretty much this. Except I'm going to keep playing.

:negative:

All my friends are telling me about their fun adventures on the seven seas and I'm still killing 5 Giant Bee Guardians.

That's my main gripe with the game. Most of the fun seems to be locked away behind 50 levels of the most atrocious questing ever.

Pretty much this. Except I'm going to keep playing.

:negative:

All my friends are telling me about their fun adventures on the seven seas and I'm still killing 5 Giant Bee Guardians.

That's my main gripe with the game. Most of the fun seems to be locked away behind 50 levels of the most atrocious questing ever.

You can go straight to that after hitting 30 or so. Just have your friends for protection. I've seen lot of level 30 pirates.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Even so, the whole questing seems like unnecessary roadblock to content that could actually be interesting. I've played too many MMOs to go through another "it gets better at level x!" bullshit, especially when you have theme park crap blocking access to sandbox stuff :<

Even so, the whole questing seems like unnecessary roadblock to content that could actually be interesting. I've played too many MMOs to go through another "it gets better at level x!" bullshit, especially when you have theme park crap blocking access to sandbox stuff :<

Buy level 50 hero from someone then. :troll:

But yeah I agree, I can definitely see getting to end areas become less and less accessible to low level characters too since people are starting to hit 50 by the mass now. Lot of people want that low level content from what I've seen and at least in this game it's not bad way to get used to the mechanics since you can do lot of trading and farming even with low level characters, since only edge higher characters have for those is more gold to buy labour points.

RK47

Patron

And yet here you are, slogging through it, instead of just uninstalling it. :smug:
*gets off high horse*
Eh, if you have friends, ask for help. Don't be too ashamed. You play to have fun, not for the 'promise of fun'
Just don't cry out betrayal when the promise doesn't come true because all of this nonsense of 'awesome PVP past Level X' is so commonplace in MMO hype and has been proven untrue so many times.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I partied up with two randoms this morning and had a fun time clearing Hellswamp while ganking anyone stupid enough to get in our way.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
If anyone is making a Codex Pirate guild, sign me on. Fuck crafting, I want to pk noobs and steal their shit.

Unfortunately the game is already fucking me over- can't play with bros on US servers due to latency, can't join EU bros due to restrictions.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I very reluctantly downloaded this game a day or so ago so that I could try it myself for testing purposes, solely because of listed sandbox elements such as persistent, placeable-at-chosen-coordinates player housing, farming trees, raising pets and mounts, a "skill-based" (it's not, but that's what I thought at the time) character system, vehicles and boats, and so on. I played UO, the old pre-CU SWG, and various text MUDs back in the day, so like all poor sap sandbox lovers, I still have a tiny shred of hope in my pocket that a good new sandbox MMO will come along someday.

I'm up to about level 13 or so, which was accomplished via questing that's an exact copy of WoW questing. The combat is exactly like the click 'n' cooldown combat found in many post-WoW MMOs, and WoW itself. My impression of ArcheAge currently is that it is essentially a F2P WoW clone with some extremely shallow sandbox elements tacked on in order to attract the sandbox crowd. I'll play a bit here and there over the coming weeks until I get to the crafting, gathering, and plopping down houses bit to see if I'm wrong.

The character system isn't skill-based in any way, but rather a mix-and-match class system. Each "skill" is essentially a miniature (VERY miniature) WoW-style character class with a linear progression of cooldown spells/abilities and passive abilities. You choose three of them from the mix and pick and choose your cooldown spells/abilities and passives. I suspect this actually offers less customization than WoW's own system ultimately, since IIRC each of WoW's dozen or so classes has three skill trees, and even one of those trees in one class has more variety than an ArcheAge skill type.

Also, the gold spam is absolutely unreal. The developers seem to have failed to hardcode a character/line limit or any sort of anti-spam measures at all, so public channels are stuffed full of 300-line-long spam that rapidly repeats, making it very difficult to see the name of the spammer in order to block them. I've never seen spam this bad before in my entire life, and that's really saying something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom