Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Archrebel: Tactics - A reincarnation of the classic Rebelstar.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The major difference between Laser Squad and Archrebel is that Archrebel doesn't use 2.5 dimensions, which for me was always a downside of Laser Squad when compared to Rebelstar. Cheers.

Well, it gave a couple of decorative sprites you couldn't do otherwise and... uh. Did Rebelstar already have windows?

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Laser Squad uses the same grid-based approach as Rebelstar did. The main difference is the top-front GFX it uses instead of top-down. When I say 2.5 I mean a fake depth it tries to recreate and its 8-directional-looking model as found in UFO: Enemy Unknown, which works way better with an isometric view. Archrebel is doing exactly this pseudo 2.5D but without the 8-direction-looking model. The 8-direction-looking model vastly increases the amount of AP adding unnecessary complexity, IMHO.

If I consider the decoration/details of both games, I would say Rebelstar wins there due to its detailed map, even though it might look cruder. It featured water tanks, detailed bedrooms with showers, algae tanks for food, a large garden with plants, flowers, and trees, a mining reprocessing plant, a reactor with generators, moon rovers with spare engine parts and tires, and an area with supply crates. The whole place felt functional/believable. As for the windows, the Operative's base did had windows but only from an aesthetic viewpoint.

Laser Squad: Moonbase Alpha mission:
upload_2022-2-21_10-21-51.png

Rebelstar's Moon Base Alpha (this is the single-player map, the 2 player version has more details, which includes supply crates and bathrooms instead of droid bays):
upload_2022-2-21_10-24-43.png

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yes, basically the only thing you gained were the decorative tiles that didn't occupy a tile. So a wall tile could have a painting or some-such.

While the traditional top down makes the LOS more clear.

But the fact that everything could be destroyed... Yeah, LS still wins. You can't beat explosions.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Yes, basically the only thing you gained were the decorative tiles that didn't occupy a tile. So a wall tile could have a painting or some-such.

But the fact that everything could be destroyed... Yeah, LS still wins. You can't beat explosions.

Fully destructible environments need to be carefully planned as they are prone to lead to gameplay issues since players can get creative bypassing scenario challenges based on level design. One way to deal with it is making some scenario objects, like walls, highly resistant to damage. Although these walls can still be destroyed, they would require a good demand of ammo, which could be a good trade-off from a tactical perspective. Another way to do it is only allowing the destruction of these walls with specific items like explosive charges, which should be available in a limited amount.

I'll have to carefully plan the use of explosive devices in Archrebel as I don't want them too powerful nor too harmless. But one thing is guaranteed, they won't be effective against units with active energy shields, this alone will turn them into a tactical weapon (as it should) instead of a reliable way of taking out enemies. I don't want it to be like 'team with more grenades = winner'.

I reckon that these features don't make a game better than those that don't have them; it is how well you implement them that makes them relevant.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Anyway, Laser Squad is perfect and anyone pretending otherwise is wrong.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Anyway, Laser Squad is perfect and anyone pretending otherwise is wrong.

"...the ground shook as Galdred's words echoed through the valley and his general waved the banner of Conquest. But the enemy legion held their ground defending the main gate, for pretending they were not."

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
This video showcases the 'ghosting' ability that has been implemented into Archrebel. It helps players track the last known position of enemies. These ghosts will be later be tied to a hud that will list all active ghosts so players don't need to search for them. Furthermore, units can now be color customized.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As one of the probably few codexers who have played and loved the original Rebelstar on the Spectrum, I would salute you for this homage. (Wasn't it Rebelstar Raiders though? I'm sure I remember it as that.)

However, for what it's worth I would say please don't lose the clean and easily viewed style of the first one for the cluttered headache that was the second. You can see yourself on the two pics on this page how much better the first game was at clearly showing the enemies and the cover, whereas Rebelstar 2 went for the same look as I fear you're going for- pixels in every square to make it look prettier. It might look better in screenshots, but I can tell you that it made it play worse. It's my one abiding memory of Rebelstar 2, how disappointed I was that the grass and trees made it harder to see the enemies.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
As one of the probably few codexers who have played and loved the original Rebelstar on the Spectrum, I would salute you for this homage. (Wasn't it Rebelstar Raiders though? I'm sure I remember it as that.)

However, for what it's worth I would say please don't lose the clean and easily viewed style of the first one for the cluttered headache that was the second. You can see yourself on the two pics on this page how much better the first game was at clearly showing the enemies and the cover, whereas Rebelstar 2 went for the same look as I fear you're going for- pixels in every square to make it look prettier. It might look better in screenshots, but I can tell you that it made it play worse. It's my one abiding memory of Rebelstar 2, how disappointed I was that the grass and trees made it harder to see the enemies.

Both R1 and R2 suffered from cover readability issues. Rebelstar 2, however, was far worse due to its 'noisier' map, with vegetation and other objects getting in the way when aiming at distant targets using the limited screen area of 9x9 tiles to perceive said obstacles. The far larger screen area of Archrebel already adds a tremendous improvement in that regard and its aiming system lets you know if units are in cover as the aiming ray collides with everything that bullets can collide with. Archrebel also features a mini-map with flashing dots that let you know where everyone is, including enemies. Ground tiles are darker than obstacles, that's why you don't see solid blue water as R2 featured but patterned blue with black being the predominant color. When in fire mode, unit circles also flash, and ground tiles are further darkened, plus you can customize the colors of every unit, both ally, and enemy, and even turn them into flat-mode for utter clarity.

I reckon that these features add a tremendous improvement to what both R1 and R2 offered as far as readability is concerned.

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Just a side note regarding the tunes posted by Infinitron. They are not the final version and will be modified as I improve using FL Studio.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This looks fantastic. Can't wait to try it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom