Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Archrebel: Tactics - A reincarnation of the classic Rebelstar.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Groovy!

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
I've added a new UI mechanism to describe in a clearer way the effects that units have. Also, you can hear a bit of the new tune. :)

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Here is the first impression of Archrebel's level-up system. Once I finish implementing it, I will describe in detail how it works.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
A quick overview on the type of unit classes Archrebel will feature:

Classes.jpeg

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Alas, the damn UI for the level-up system is finally implemented. I just need now to reflect the player choices into the units themselves.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Just dropping a quick screenie of the female Gargantule alien redesign. I also included another variant, the Abnormal gargantule.
The Abnormal variant shares the qualities of males and females. Males are generally stronger with thicker armors and powerful jaws for melee attacks, while females are more agile and have the ability to spit deadly acid.
The image also shows Gargantules at different stages in life.

Gargantule_Aliens.jpg

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Here is another update. It revolves around aliens showing their new spitting GFX and the new sprites for their dead bodies.
Usually, I use existing elements to create new sounds, but this one I had to create from scratch, I vocalized the spit itself and used a diet coke for the acid sizzling.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
After some major optimization revamp, I went back to sound design to take a break from coding and experimented doing some voice acting. This is considering a work-in-progress. While I'll modify some of the sounds, I'm pleased with the results and I think I can pull it off on my own. What do you think?

Luka-boy

Arcane
Pretty damn good. The sound design so far is right up my alley. Not sure about a couple of the infantry's lines, but boy does this game sound good.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Pretty damn good. The sound design so far is right up my alley. Not sure about a couple of the infantry's lines, but boy does this game sound good.
Thanks for the feedback. Which infantry lines are you referring to? Feel free to suggest some replacements as well. I can add as many as needed.
Cheers!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
What you've shown so far in these teasers demonstrates the importance of good sound design even if visuals are heavily abstracted. It reminds me of Westwood Studios' 2D games, where despite the use of simple sprites, your adrenaline was always pumping because of the music and sfx.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks for the feedback. Which infantry lines are you referring to? Feel free to suggest some replacements as well. I can add as many as needed.
Cheers!

To me the lines seem fine - the one questionable to me is "Tell me" (doesnt feel like something a soldier would say on a radio, but that just might be me) in response to being selected, though it can work too. You could replace it with or add:

Orders?
Read you loud and clear.
Ready and able.

Other than that the game is looking better and better. Cant wait to play it.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
What you've shown so far in these teasers demonstrates the importance of good sound design even if visuals are heavily abstracted. It reminds me of Westwood Studios' 2D games, where despite the use of simple sprites, your adrenaline was always pumping because of the music and sfx.
That is so true! I pay special attention to sound because I believe sound plays the main role to recreate the game's atmosphere, which as a consequence is important for immersion.

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Cheers!

To me the lines seem fine - the one questionable to me is "Tell me" (doesnt feel like something a soldier would say on a radio, but that just might be me) in response to being selected, though it can work too. You could replace it with or add:

Orders?
Read you loud and clear.
Ready and able.

Other than that the game is looking better and better. Cant wait to play it.
That makes total sense but there is actually a reason why they are not sounding like they would in the military; they aren't soldiers but a group of colonists trying to survive after their ship inexplicably crashed far away from the main colony. Although all colonists in the Universe of Archrebel learn how to handle weapons, they are still civilians.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Hey everyone! Just letting you guys know that I'm finally terraforming the visuals of the alien planet: Kaprical, where the story will unfold.
Archrebel_Tactics_Screenshot.jpg

Last edited:

Gumsmith

Educated
Here is another update. It revolves around aliens showing their new spitting GFX and the new sprites for their dead bodies.
Usually, I use existing elements to create new sounds, but this one I had to create from scratch, I vocalized the spit itself and used a diet coke for the acid sizzling.

Why is it that when something receives damage it's visualized as dozens of 2s? It's ok in low numbers but you can see it takes a while if something has a lot of health, and it would be more spectacular to blow away a squad or mech in one go I think. Is it a Rebelstar thing?

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer

Why is it that when something receives damage it's visualized as dozens of 2s? It's ok in low numbers but you can see it takes a while if something has a lot of health, and it would be more spectacular to blow away a squad or mech in one go I think. Is it a Rebelstar thing?

Yes, it is recreating the Rebelstar mechanics which also plays an important aspect as well. If the damage was instantaneously applied, the unit would die immediately letting other shots go through in case of a burst attack. On average, it takes about 1-4 seconds to process all the damage, which tends to be less time if compared with the XCOM franchise with its cutscenes. Another aspect that this mechanics trigger is the expectation factor when dealing with heavy amounts of damage. You will find yourself wishing for damage to endure for the longest amount of time; you won't just wait but wonder how much damage shots can pull off.

I understand that this may be annoying/weird, especially for a younger generation of people. But the aim of Archrebel is to keep Rebelstar's essence, sending strong nostalgic vibes to all those who love Rebelstar. Cheers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom