Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Archrebel: Tactics - A reincarnation of the classic Rebelstar.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Which setting appeals to you more for a tactics game where units can panic?

Panicked units...:
1 - ...move randomly on the battlefield; cannot be controlled for 1 turn.
2 - ...stay put and cannot be controlled for 1 turn.
3 - ...can be controlled but with strong penalties.
4 - Other. Please share with me your vision.

Thank you guys.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
That depends, what are the triggers for the Panicked condition?
Good question. Units will react to events.

Mechanics for decreasing morale:
- Each with each turn (morale slightly decreases with the passing of each turn, which simulates physical and mental stress taking its toll).
- Getting shot at (it is the quickest way for losing morale).
- Losing friendly units.

Mechanics for increasing morale:
- Destroying opponents.
- Using tranquilizer shots.
- Completing objectives.

Units become anxious and afraid prior to becoming panicked, so there is room for the player to deal with potential panic attacks if he pays attention to their squad's morale.
However, the longer it takes to complete a mission, the worse it gets.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

- Each with each turn (morale slightly decreases with the passing of each turn, which simulates physical and mental stress taking its toll).
- Losing friendly units.

- Destroying opponents.
- Completing objectives.

Units become anxious and afraid prior to becoming panicked, so there is room for the player to deal with potential panic attacks if he pays attention to their squad's morale.
Are opposing forces subject of these things?

Acrux

Arcane
Are there ways to get out of panic once it's happened to a unit? Based on the triggers above, it seems like panicked units will be in a downward spiral of continuous panic.

Also, I'm really not a fan of mechanics like "morale decreasing each turn".

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Are there ways to get out of panic once it's happened to a unit? Based on the triggers above, it seems like panicked units will be in a downward spiral of continuous panic.

Agreed.

- Losing friendly units.

- Destroying opponents.
- Completing objectives.

My 2c is that Panicked should result in you losing control of said units and them running away from where the most recent shot was fired.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer

You can use tranquilizers on units to bring their morale up, and while they are tranquilized, their morale gets frozen for a few turns; leveling up willpower will also increase the morale pool size.

I understand the concern with morale decreasing with each turn, but it will not turn the game into a run-against-the-clock thing, something I myself hate with a passion, and the very reason why I didn't play X-COM 2. It's there so players don't snail-pace throughout whole missions playing defensively and nothing else but defensively, a known problem for tactics games, and it also makes units feel the passing of time with stress weighing in. You will have plenty of room to play defensively and you will have other mechanics that entice you to play offensively as well, like using energy shields and take cover behind your large and tough droids.

I need to point out that morale loss due to turn elapsing will go as low as taking units to an anxious state. While it won't make units afraid and panic on its own, it will make it easier for that to happen.
People often enjoy realism in tactical war games but when it comes to morale mechanics, they tend to overlook it, even though it is one major key aspect of warfare.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

You can use tranquilizers on units to bring their morale up, and while they are tranquilized, their morale gets frozen for a few turns; leveling up willpower will also increase the morale pool size.

I understand the concern with morale decreasing with each turn, but it will not turn the game into a run-against-the-clock thing, something I myself hate with a passion, and the very reason why I didn't play X-COM 2. It's there so players don't snail-pace throughout whole missions playing defensively and nothing else but defensively, a known problem for tactics games, and it also makes units feel the passing of time with stress weighing in. You will have plenty of room to play defensively and you will have other mechanics that entice you to play offensively as well, like using energy shields and cover behind your large and tough droids.

I need to point out that morale loss due to turn elapsing will go as low as taking units to an anxious state. While it won't make units afraid and panic on its own, it will make it easier for that to happen.
People often enjoy realism in tactical war games but when it comes to morale mechanics, they tend to overlook it, even though it is one major key aspect of warfare.
I like losing control of the unit for particularly low morale, a la X-Com. There's nothing like the feeling of having your rookie break and start firing wildly because he's shitting his pants as things go south, etc. It's part of what gave the game a tense atmosphere and helped make rookies distinct from your steel nerved veterans.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer

- Losing friendly units.

- Destroying opponents.
- Completing objectives.

Are opposing forces subject of these things?
It will come down to the story plot. For now, it is undecided.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
This video demonstrates defense lasers in action. They are primarily designed to deal with incoming explosive projectiles but can also target grenades.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Just a small update. The holotexts will have many uses, from game tips, lore, and plot developments.

Do you want to tell the story solely via these boxes? I am not sure how much your focus is on the story but I do not think that kind of presentation will hold my interest for long. For in-mission notes it's perfect though, no issues. And from the look of it, the game looks quite enjoyable, regardless of story so I am looking forward to it anyways.

oasis789

Arcane
Holotexts, the format is less important than the content. e.g. Cogmind does its storytelling mostly through text logs

My main concern is readability. If you're going to have a lot of text to read, it should be easy on the eyes, high contrast etc

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Just a small update. The holotexts will have many uses, from game tips, lore, and plot developments.

Do you want to tell the story solely via these boxes? I am not sure how much your focus is on the story but I do not think that kind of presentation will hold my interest for long. For in-mission notes it's perfect though, no issues. And from the look of it, the game looks quite enjoyable, regardless of story so I am looking forward to it anyways.

The main story will develop between missions, similar to how Fallout Tactics does it. These holotexts/holonotes will mostly be used for additional info, like explaining game mechanics and lore. Will most be useful during the first missions for gameplay tips. :salute:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Holotexts, the format is less important than the content. e.g. Cogmind does its storytelling mostly through text logs

My main concern is readability. If you're going to have a lot of text to read, it should be easy on the eyes, high contrast etc
Did you find the text hard to read? Accessibility is something I deeply care for and I want to provide as many options as possible to have people playing the game comfortably. I don't plan to have too much text in these notes. The larger note on the video represents, more or less, the maximum text I'm aiming for. Main plot developments will happen between missions as in Fallout Tactics. I don't like having to read too much text myself, especially in a tactics game. I'll try to keep them short and objective. I'm planning on having these notes stored in a place where the player can access them to re-read them if needed.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
I finally allocated some days solely to develop the Gargantule's species sound effects. Making everything yourself is cheaper but it takes on toll on time development, naturally.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
I've begun base development. Now, with walls and floors figured out, I'm starting to work on the base interiors to make the bases a believable place for humans to live in.

sorcerian

Novice
Holy shit, this looks so insanely good. This is absolutely a day 1 purchase for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom