Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are Civilization games basically dumbed down Paradox games?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Haven't played any Civ games, but reading up on them recently I'm sort of getting that impression. Let's hear it.

I've played three Paradox games, btw.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
nice try kid

gandhi21.jpg

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Civilization is based on a board game called Civilization. Paradox grand strategies are just based on the Risk board game with an excel spreadsheet to attempt to provide the illusion of depth. So, while you could say both are tabletop games turned to computer games (like some CRPGs), they are not based on the same tabletop, but are different to each other.

Basically, Civilization games have always sucked. The only really worthy to play ones where the 1st, the 2nd, and the 5th. The first was something new, in 1990 computer strategy games weren't exactly advanced. The second was a remake of the first using better graphics and some FMV for advisors and shit. Those were worth to play simply because there was not much competition in terms of complex strategy games, other than Master of Orion. The 3rd was kinda shit, 4th was also shit but had great production values. Up until then Civ games were really just wargames but war sucked in them and lacked strategy, so they decided to make Civ V 1UPT and bring in some wargaming goodness to it, and it had great realistic graphics, so it was kinda cool to play, although the AI typically SUCKED HUGE BLACK COCK. Still, in my opinion, Civ V complete is the best way to experience the civilization formula. Civ 6 is just V with some elements copied from Endless Legend, plus more complexity for the sake of complexity to give you something to click on, stupid cartoony graphics that are light enough to be ported on android smartphones and nintendo switches, and tons of bugs and dlcs. Personally, i think picking VI over V is a waste of money and time.

All in all, i think the civilization franchise is obsolete, to be honest. Humankind is getting released in a few months and is probably gonna mop the floor with Civ once and for all. Firaxis had made tons of money selling crap for far too long, it is time they had some competition.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
In general, Firaxis makes strategy games, not event generators

Paradox games are overrated trash, honestly. I have stopped pirating anything they produce (let alone paying for...), cause they all suck. Not even worth the few GBs to torrent, and i have a 100MB/s line. I pitty the Stockholm syndrome people who buy their shit thinking they are playing some sophisticated strategy while all they are doing is wasting time on pathetic messes that play themselves. There are many issues with that company, and while many cry about their DLC policies, i think this is one of the most insignificant things to complain about. As i said, not even worth pirating, and when pirating DLCs are free. The real issues with their games lie elsewhere, and i don't see them improving their shit any time soon. Even if they do try, like in the case of Stellaris (initial release) or Imperator Rome (initial release), their fans will still complain, cause when a faggot is used to getting fucked in the ass, he is going to take it personally if you stop raping him all of a sudden, he will think that something went wrong, that you don't love him anymore. I won't go into detail about what i mean, but just say that their older games had gameplay that sucked hard, and games like Stellaris and Imperator were attempts to make something actually worthwhile, but since this alienated their hardcore fags, they decided to do a 180o and patch those games to become the same shit as EUIV. Cause of course they would.

Still, having said that, claiming that Firaxis making strategy games while Paradox does not, is a fucking lie. Firaxis makes GARBAGE, literally. There is no strategy involved in Civ VI or Xcom 2. Those games play themselves. There is basically one correct way to play them, and you are just trained by trial and error to act like it, or fail. There is also tons of bad RNG and other shit.

Basically, i refuse to get anything new from both companies these days. They both suck and produce overhyped/overrated trash. If you want 4X, there are other companies, more indy, but produce better shit, like Slitherine or Aptitude/SEGA. If you want tactics, you are better of playing a Larian game (LOL) than their shit. "Grand strategy" my ass. Those are just risk simulators with real world names and a bunch of buttons and sliders to make you think you are controlling the simulation, but only just a bit. LOL.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Still, having said that, claiming that Firaxis making strategy games while Paradox does not, is a fucking lie..

It was just a wry comment to distinguish between traditional 4X games (which Firaxis is built on) where the narrative of the game is created by the player's actions vs a random event generator like Stellaris where the narrative of the game is determined by the RNG.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Haven't played any Civ games, but reading up on them recently I'm sort of getting that impression. Let's hear it.

I've played three Paradox games, btw.
Yeah and Command and Conquer is dumbed down Heart of Iron.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom