Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Are there any guyz who quit gaming entirely?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nah, it really is a good thing to quit gaming, especially if you are one of the majority of nu-males on here.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Seriously speaking, quitting gaming is the best thing you can do. It's literally a complete waste of time, and because of things like carpal tunnel it's actually detrimental to your health. Filling up the time you play games with other things like sports, socializing, self-caring, or even just extra sleep would be far better for you.

Cool story, but aren't you a sodomite?

Filling up your man-vault with a bunch of faggot dongs is detrimental to YOUR health!

In fact, playing computer games would be far better for you.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Seriously speaking, quitting gaming is the best thing you can do. It's literally a complete waste of time, and because of things like carpal tunnel it's actually detrimental to your health. Filling up the time you play games with other things like sports, socializing, self-caring, or even just extra sleep would be far better for you.

Cool story, but aren't you a sodomite?

Filling up your man-vault with a bunch of faggot dongs is detrimental to YOUR health!

In fact, playing computer games would be far better for you.
How so? I'm being active and getting sweaty, it's good exercise.

Machocruz

Arcane
I only play Cataclysm here and there. I have a DnD game with friends every two Saturdays. Other than that I'm spending my free time to produce instead of consume. Also gym and trail running. Don't even have time for movies, books, TV. I'm also a bit of a cad chad so I'm dating when not doing any of that other shit. I don't feel I'm missing anything. It's mostly the same kinds of games I already played years ago being repeated, and I'm wanting something new. Although I'll come back for Bannerlord, Cyberpunk and if they make another Dragon's Dogma.

I think savoring select games every now and then is for the better. I used to try to be up on everything, and I think that (helped) killed the magic for me

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You are talking about the gaming addiction, which is unhealthy, but there is no reason you can't do all of the above next to gaming. It's like saying that you should quit watching movies because it has a negative effect on your social life, sleep time or sport time. Or reading too much books. Stop reading books because they take too much time. This is just stupid.

Also you don't get any unhealthy sideeffects if you game some here and there. So no, quiting gaming is not the best thing you can do.

Edit:
I really don't get those who say that they quit gaming for several years because of a girlfriend. I mean, did these guys really didn't have some quiet time for themselves? Or how did that girlfriend affected them so they quit gaming for years? I'm just curious thats all.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't play too much new stuff, mostly replay old games at this point. I read about new consoles or graphics cards and I couldn't give a shit at this point. As long as I can play things from the '90s and 2000s I'm good.

Exhuminator

Arcane
>1. Did any of you quit gaming completely ?

I've been playing video games since 1983 and I can quit whenever I want.

>2. Even if you went on detox, how long it last?

Why would I need to detox from an entertainment medium?

>3. Reasons? Being bored, focusing on another hobbies, lack of hardware or just life happened?

I do take lulls from video games, in order to play other forms of games. By that, I mean analog games. I love me some card/board game RPGs and gamebook RPGs. I suggest trying other (analog) gaming mediums if you need a break from the pixels. There's some good stuff out there.

>4. Are you expecting to be back one day?

I don't expect in my 40s that I'll ever be as fervent about video gaming as I was in my teens and 20s. But I plan to play video games as long as my thumbs and eyes will cooperate. It's all about moderation and balance. AND getting out of your comfort zone once in a while. Try playing genres you normally avoid. Variety is the spice of not getting bored as shit with vidja gams.

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
i not enjoying games lately,i think is because i have played too many classics like HOMM 2,BG1/2,Fallout 1/2/New Vegas,Vampire M:BL,Mount & Blade,Starcraft,AOM,Warcraft 2/3,CIV 4...my standards for gaming have become way too high,i can't enjoy anything that is not a masterpiece or a classic.Same thing with movies,after i watched the greatest movies of all time i can't enjoy generic blockbuster shit like the Marvel movies or Transformers anymore.

Cool name

Arcane
I often go several months without playing video games of any kind, longest period was about a year.

not really for any reason or even intentionally, it just kinda happens. I'm either busy or more in the mood to do something else, and time seems to be moving faster every year

I'm in a semi-lull right now I guess, bc aside from occasional couch co-op at a bro's place I haven't played anything since november

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I really don't get those who say that they quit gaming for several years because of a girlfriend. I mean, did these guys really didn't have some quiet time for themselves? Or how did that girlfriend affected them so they quit gaming for years? I'm just curious thats all.

My wife made it very clear early on that she considered video games a juvenile thing I was supposed to have grown out of by then, and that she would be happier if I dropped it. I told her to fuck off that was stupid, and she looks at Facebook 4 hours a day which isn't any better, but a lot of guys will be like "okay honey" because they're whipped pussies.

Beastro

Arcane
With years moving on I'm loosing moar and moar interested in gaming, there are literaly few games I'm looking forward and it's pretty rare when I'm touching old stuff. It maybe temporary but sometimes it feels like ending is near so...

1. Did any of you quit gaming completely ?
2. Even if you went on detox, how long it last?
3. Reasons? Being bored, focusing on another hobbies, lack of hardware or just life happened?
4. Are you expecting to be back one day?

1: No, but can go weeks without playing one.
2: No "detox" about it, just no desire to with many being too demanding for me while others required a large hurdle to overcome to get back into that I simply don't want to fuck with anymore.
3: Life and growing up. Not simply that I can't sit for long stretches of time at the comp anymore, I don't want to. Game requiring large times to play I feel I can't properly invest in even if I do have the time. I'd rather be out, and if stuck at home, then looking for something shorter and simpler, hence the emulators.
4: Can't honestly say, but if so it will be playing my backlog or older games I want to track down, not newer ones.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I quit for an entire year, only really because I was doing other things at the time and it kept me entertained enough that I didn't care about games. Also when I quit, games were not all that special. Some really hooked me but they hooked me for a few days or a week and then I was done. Nowadays there are games that hook me for years. Only one in a million... but still, there are some games around today that are so interesting, I wouldn't want to just give up on gaming. Also however bad it gets, there is always something good on the horizon that makes it worth waiting.

Pharad

Novice
I am about to quit again and again, and then a new amazing release comes out. I was quitting if Sekiro wasn't amazing, and there it is, a masterpiece...

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Generally it is a good idea to quit entertainment medium until classics build up. E,g don't play games until you have 5-10 must plays to play. Quit tv shows until you have expanse, game of thrones type shit to watch. Same thing with books, anime etc... Eventually you run out of 5/5 and then you are better off switching to something else.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Totalbiscuit?

Maybe he's presently playing Deus Ex with Anti-Social FatMan in heaven. Or maybe they have access to games like Black Isle's Fallout 3 and Dungeon Keeper 3 there?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

L1CA.gif

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This thread is fucking stupid. Gaming is just another hobby, so you could ask this question about any other hobbies out there. Yet nobody says that it is better if one stops collecting stamps.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
my concentration problems are so bad i first read this as
For about 10-15 years I've been having contraception problems, last game I completed start to finish was probably ID1 or BG2 way back.
yeah, that would do it

Cool name

Arcane
This thread is fucking stupid. Gaming is just another hobby, so you could ask this question about any other hobbies out there. Yet nobody says that it is better if one stops collecting stamps.
actually most ppl think serious stamp collectors (and most kinds of collector in general except stuff like art) are serial killers or at least weird

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
in heaven
:nocountryforshitposters:
He was an atheist and a fucking liberal!

I play games because i have nothing better to do,to kill boredom. I didn't play any when something comes up and have no time or access to a pc for month or two. As a whole i have no intention of really stopping it,tho the publishing companies might disagree with me.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Stop posting on a gaming forum then, you fucking loser.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
"Better for you" is doing whatever you enjoy. You can play sports every day and still die at 30. With that weird point of view, there are a million hobbies like painting and music that would be pointless. Think before you post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom