Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Are there any guyz who quit gaming entirely?

Frozen

Arcane
But I like high production.

This independent crap is no better its just cheaper and looks like shit.

If I want to play base looking game I would rather play Tetris then inferior versions of games from 20y

Steedless

Novice
But I like high production.

This independent crap is no better its just cheaper and looks like shit.

If I want to play base looking game I would rather play Tetris then inferior versions of games from 20y
High production value doesn't always translate into good visuals. Most big releases nowadays are multi-platform and have outdated textures and lighting just to be able to run on consoles.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The gameplay is way better though. I mean it depends what you want from a game... But those top 100 games are all the same sorts of things, shooting stuff, or hacking stuff with swords. That's why people get bored of gaming. But with indie gaming you can get things that are so different. Like Besiege, you build weird machines to slaughter primitive villages. It even looks good too. Or Age of Wonders 3, a big strategy game about conquering a land bit by bit with armies you build. Looks nice too, and has gameplay that mainstream gamers have never seen before.

Or Arma3, very good looking, but so much more complex than Call of Duty / Battlefield, you can drive many different tanks, gunships, jets, and all are pretty realistic. And there is a mode where a bunch of people go on a mission, and one person plays like an invisible god who can add things to the battle to make it exciting for everyone else.

Or, Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, they maybe aren't as good looking as Kingdom Come Deliverance, but they still look good and the combat is about 100 times more interesting. Also even low tech graphics you can get used to. I remember when I started TOME4 or Knights of the Chalice and it was just so ugly and I wasn't sure I could handle the weird 2d-almost-3d view. But after a while you get used to it. And there are no mainstream games that have gameplay like that. If there was I would play them! But I'll take gameplay over graphics any day.

Last edited:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
This thread is the saddest fucking thing. Just play these fucking video games, rip your shitty little heart out while the world burns. The love of God fills me with his viscous black joy every night. I want a Lyric Suite post about the transcendent factor in the eternal human condition, and how much western art is about the absolute. Fills me up to the fucking brim

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A lot of people say it is the best in the series. I am not a big Hitman fan but it is nice to play for a change. Also I got it free so I may as well try. But I gotta finish CO8 first.

I was never a fan of the series until this one. I didn't even play 2016 until I played it through the "legacy pack" in Hitman 2. I fucking love this one though, it's just the right mix of stealth and the puzzle elements, with tons of options and well designed areas.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Man I'm 34 and I'll never quit gaming. I do have dry periods of no passion for it for a month or two at a time, but I always go back strong. I am still just as interested in it as when I was 10 years old. Some of you guys should try to get the childliike innocence back and just enjoy instead of being jaded about gaming.
Same here. Although I don't have too much time for gaming now, but whenever I play, it is so much fun. You just have to find the gems, either from the past or the present. I don't think I will ever quit gaming, it is the best form of digital entertainment. I can't wait to retire and spend my last 2 decades playing my Steam and GOG catalogue.

Machocruz

Arcane
The Paris level in Hitman was so good I played nothing but that every day for two weeks. And Sapienza is supposed to be even better???

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Besides Codex, new FMs, Battle Bros, Star Stable, occasional return to a classic, I'm only looking forward to that new Lovecraft rpg and Call of Saregnar. The death of gaming began when I lost my computer in a move. Going to my parents every weekend if I wanted to play something finally killed it, I just quit unless I could emulate it on my phone, which I've since gotten rid of. Even after buying a laptop that can play all my games, its not the same anymore. Its infinitely easier to shitpost on Codex than commit to another relationship game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shitposter
With years moving on I'm loosing moar and moar interested in gaming, there are literaly few games I'm looking forward and it's pretty rare when I'm touching old stuff. It maybe temporary but sometimes it feels like ending is near so...

1. Did any of you quit gaming completely ?
2. Even if you went on detox, how long it last?
3. Reasons? Being bored, focusing on another hobbies, lack of hardware or just life happened?
4. Are you expecting to be back one day?

1. I play like one game every 2-3 years, so practically yes.

2. The last time I consistently played games was in high school, 8 years ago.

3. Fell in love shortly after high school which distracted me from gaming, and then after that went through a phase of being broke as fuck for years, which makes it hard for me to sit down and enjoy anything, even TV shows. I have lingering anxiety sitting in the back of my head that I should be working all the time. I developed a skill that makes a lot of money so I am doing better now.

4. I will be playing WoW Classic, which gets released in a few days. I am going to buy BO4 in the next month or two if/when it goes on sale. I will replay Arcanum, FO2, and Skyrim sometime in the next year or two. I also want to play a classic RPG that I haven't played yet and do a video LP for it on the Codex.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The Paris level in Hitman was so good I played nothing but that every day for two weeks. And Sapienza is supposed to be even better???

Paris is still one of the best maps I think, but I tend to like the more contained ones. They feel more focused. Some people love the larger, more sprawling ones though like Sapienza and Mumbai. So it depends on what you're looking for. There's plenty of both in the 13 out so far though.

Gibson

Learned
I almost/basically quit gaming - I still play here and there (maybe 3h/week), but I just can't find a game to commit to. I don't play shooters (my passion died when we stopped playing UT on LAN parties with instagib), 4x/grand strategies are too sandboxy for me, I did have fun with Endless Legends, but once I tried all the factions twice, it was like...meh, seen that, done that. The concept of Roguelikes just doesn't click with me.
RPGs are just too big at this time in my life. being 34 I played all the classics multiple times but I just can't see myself spending like 100+ hours on a single playthrough on a new game like when I was a teen. last RPG game I played that I had fun with was Shadowrun Dragonfall DC: 4 party team (so not a lot of time wasted on inventory "minigame"), quite nice story, some decent combat, took about 35-40h for a first playthrough...it really hit that sweet spot for me. I really, really want to try Underrail - but when checking HLTB and I see 60+hours, which is like 20 weeks for me to finish it--> the fuck outta here /bill burr voice/; I'd forget the story/plot by week 5.
ATM the games I have installed are Magnum Opus, all the Hexcells Games and Battle Bros. And on the Xbox360 I play Tiger woods PGA 13 with a kinect Sensor, a fucking normie, I know, but it's a good 420 activity; it's like playing Kubb in the park or some shit like that, when you're doimg something, but not really :)
the hope remains that I find more time to play, because Underrail really looks like my cup of tea.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I almost/basically quit gaming - I still play here and there (maybe 3h/week),
Man, if you play 3 hours per week, you didn't quit gamit at all. I didn't play that much regularly for years. :D And I know I didn't quit gaming.

Gibson

Learned
I almost/basically quit gaming - I still play here and there (maybe 3h/week),
Man, if you play 3 hours per week, you didn't quit gamit at all. I didn't play that much regularly for years. :D And I know I didn't quit gaming.

but that's just not enough to get into a proper RPG game, which is what I would like to do. It's enough for a puzzle game or a skirmish or two in Battle Bros; but for an RPG? no, it would take me a weekend just to create a PC :D

circuit breaker

Educated
1. No, never completely.
2. A year.
3. I was preparing for an important exam.
4. Am already back.

In general, I had most fun in gaming when it was still new, fresh and games with original design ideas were released more frequently.

Since then, I have noticed when replaying some games that they mask OCD-inducing Skinner boxes. I recall the original Assassin's Creed being a particularly bad offender at the time. Just look at all of these collectables: https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Flag Who was time/the inclination to collect 420 flags to get an achievement? Goddamn. (By the way, I firmly believe that the AC series would have turned out much better by ignoring the retarded genetic memory/Abspergo plot and spending more time on the then-present-day design stuff.)

Anyway, I have gotten increasingly picky about what/when I play. Right now I'm on a Heroes III romp, it's lots of fun discovering deep stuff like hero chaining or bloodlusting an entire Stronghold army in 1 turn using multiple Ogre Mage stacks.

There are several games I'd like to play, e.g. Witcher 3, but I just can't justify spending 700 EUR on new components at this stage in my life. So I sometimes hunt for <= 5 EUR bargains on Steam or GOG.com. Even so, I refuse to buy garbage. My wishlists are correspondingly very short. It doesn't matter if it's almost free, it's still my time...

I'm also not into the whole growing up thing with 2.3 kids, a nagging waifu, a mortgaged house, a depreciating car etc., so it's nice to have gaming as an escapist activity.

I am developing a fondness for hiking, and would like to raise a doggo at some point.

Bruticis

Novice
Patron
I'm not out of gaming yet but I think about it everyday.
l.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I'm not out of gaming yet but I think about it everyday.
I felt like that for years, I think around 2002 to about 2010 was just an endless stream of disappointments for me. I got so annoyed and disheartened with gaming, by the end of it was very close to just not playing anything anymore. But I really think things have totally changed since then. Kickstarter and indie games changed everything. As much as I hate Minecraft, I think that had a huge impact too. It showed the world that one guy can make a game that makes him a billionaire. It is a one in a billion shot, but it is possible. And even if you don't get super rich, at least it is enough for a lot more indie devs to make their stuff.

Most of what I loved in the past several years, and most of what I play now, is from indie devs. Arma3, AoW3, KOTC, TOME4, Vigilantes, Aarklash, Blackguards, Besiege, DoS, Satisfactory, Fall of the Dungeon Guardians, and many more. I still want more, and I do resent the fact that apparently my taste is so niche that I have to play games with a budget of $5 and not $300 million like most gamers who love GTA and Skyrim and Assassins Creed etc.. But still, at least I have something and it seems to be growing. And luckily I am old enough that I can look at graphics like KOTC and not feel completely disgusted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom