Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Are there any guyz who quit gaming entirely?

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I will quit when there is will no game worth my time. In the 00 there were 10-15 good games coming out each year. Now it shrinked to 1-2 (considering indies). Last games i enjoyed were Sekiro and hollow knight. It shouldn't be too long untill all games are shallow graphic only degenerate left propaganda piece of trash. I think in 5-6 years i will be clean

Master

Arbiter
You try to be a husband, the wife takes the kids and only leave you her bills each month. (Assuming the kid is really yours.)
You try to work, to be fired by the "corporate family" on the first opportunity.
You try to have friends, the first time you really need them, and all of sudden, they are so busy that you think they are all working in secret to create the new Google.
You try to be a good citizen, the government gives it all to their cronies and if there is something left they buy votes from single moms and lazy people.
You try to be religious, the priest is a closet pedophile.
You try to love your country, while half of your countrymen wants to burn it to the ground for barely explained irrational reasons and you watch them loving people that would gladly murder them and you if they could.

After some time, you stop trying and go play video games, just let the world burn. My problem is the contrary, I wish it was worthy to stop playing video games.
d5jrysu-7a2269eb-4af6-451e-9f18-128cdbcf693b.jpg

t3_3wfbr6

DeepOcean, eh?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The older I get the more I realize what a complete waste of time playing games is.
I still play some rainbow6 from time to time and whenever something cool and new catches my attention I will play it but I don't think it's a worthwhile time sink.
Got so many things I wanna do besides that, got many things I should be doing besides even those...
Also, games are mostly total shit so there's that.

The only reason it would be a waste of time is if you don't enjoy it as much as other things you could be doing. When I'm really into other things like movies or whatever games suddenly feel like a boring waste of time, because I have other priorities. Then I find a game I'm really into (like Hitman 2 currently) and suddenly they're the complete opposite of a waste of time.

Siobhan

Arbiter
A highly enjoyable time waster is still a time waster. I don't mean that in a pejorative sense, that's literally what games are supposed to do. Video games lack the benefits of other hobbies (useful skills, social contacts, cultural capital, increased health, or actual products, e.g. paintings or furniture). They cannot be enjoyed in short 30 minute sessions unless it's a very casual game. They're a large time investment with nothing of value to show for it besides temporary gratification. And that's exactly what they should be. It's the hobby of Doritos and Mountain Dew --- purposefully manufactured for consumption, but providing little sustenance.

Personally, I experienced a sudden shift about two years ago, away from anything digital. Even when I was having lots of fun, it always felt hollow in hindsight. So now it's board games and jigsaw puzzles instead of video games, ebooks have been ditched for the local library, I don't code anymore in my spare time, no more Youtube, and no more streaming (except the occasional episode of TNG). Instead: lots of hiking, camping, kayaking, evening strolls, dancing lessons, and cross stitching. Not sure what prompted it, many of those things are definitely duller than video games. And yet... it's much more satisfying.

Cadmus

Arcane
Gamer guys here cant seem to be able to distinguish between reality and the virtual so they think its all the same as long as youre having fun.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Gamer guys here cant seem to be able to distinguish between reality and the virtual so they think its all the same as long as youre having fun.

Go be a boomer somewhere else.

Games might be more fun to me when I start working full-time.

They won't. Ever since I started working full time I haven't been able to seriously dedicate myself to anything and just play the same 3 coffee break games over and over in between trying to maintain my more active hobbies (and failing spectacularly at that).

2. MK: Deadlly Alliance (Xbox)

Holy shit people still play that

I was stunned by this geam in '03 and it was ma main envy reason against console owners, after horrible MK4/Gold and 5-year limbo MKDA was an instant incline.

It's weird I never finished it until recently (always stuck on Moloch), now I seriously consider it better than Deception (or at least - equally good).

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
A highly enjoyable time waster is still a time waster. I don't mean that in a pejorative sense, that's literally what games are supposed to do. Video games lack the benefits of other hobbies (useful skills, social contacts, cultural capital, increased health, or actual products, e.g. paintings or furniture). They cannot be enjoyed in short 30 minute sessions unless it's a very casual game. They're a large time investment with nothing of value to show for it besides temporary gratification. And that's exactly what they should be. It's the hobby of Doritos and Mountain Dew --- purposefully manufactured for consumption, but providing little sustenance.

Personally, I experienced a sudden shift about two years ago, away from anything digital. Even when I was having lots of fun, it always felt hollow in hindsight. So now it's board games and jigsaw puzzles instead of video games, ebooks have been ditched for the local library, I don't code anymore in my spare time, no more Youtube, and no more streaming (except the occasional episode of TNG). Instead: lots of hiking, camping, kayaking, evening strolls, dancing lessons, and cross stitching. Not sure what prompted it, many of those things are definitely duller than video games. And yet... it's much more satisfying.

Cultural capital? Can I buy shit with it? Like Doritos and Mountain Dew?

Insert Title Here
Yes but

In theory videos games should be the greatest medium of all time. They have visual art, music, interactivity, it's a bonanza. But in practice they are just low brow rubbish that probably has a negative impact on your mental health, if only subtly. I want to quit forever but I keep hoping in vain that video games will eventually live up to their potential as the culmination of all other media.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

You literally sound like a fucking grandpa. "These vidya-games can't be real art or rewarding hobbies like me jigsaw puzzles can be! There I'm using mah BRAIN to do things! Not like those taktical ARPEEGEES you play! Ya damn kids!"

Swigen

Arbiter

38v3n4.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
I see the point of the people that claim gaming is a waste of time as there are more fulfilling activities, some games indeed are, tried playing some games like Divine Divinity:Original Sin 2 and Wasteland 2 and while they aren't the worst games ever made, they don't have many qualities too, as you grow older and the time of the day seems shorter, those kinds of games made to accomplish developer financial obligations instead of love seem like empty vampires of your time, you feel those wasted hours costed more than you paid for them.

I wouldn't consider gaming as a whole as a waste of time. There are games that are beauty and beauty is something without price not in time or dollars, when you see beauty, you recognize it from the legion of interchangeable products made for shareholder satisfaction. Beauty is something on itself, I'm not a religious guy, but I see what tries to be divine instead of diving on the mud of mediocrity. What is divine must be enjoyed, no matter if it is a videogame or not. You must not do some crude accountability of hours wasted or not.

Some games like Planescape Torment, Fallout 1, Arcanum, Morrowind and many others are examples of games of men that seek the beauty of God and knew there was more to their work than toil for a paycheck, they made the best they were on the limited context they had on a form of a game and you notice that while playing them. I do believe some video games are art, the problem is that people think art is some random thing and those that are blind see art when there is only empty pretension and cynical simulation. I see art on the minds of men, of men that seen beauty and fallen in love with it, when you play their games you see the beauty of their minds in the worlds they created.

I don't play games to escape, there is no escape from life, I see fantasy as fantasy. I play games to see the beauty of other minds. Some developers, deliver themselves in full, each dialog, each street, each character were made by a mind that wanted that out in the world, others are liars and hypocrites, they deny you anything beyond the common lowest copy pasted denominator with the least effort they could, to those, I have no problem into calling their work on what it is, trash. I just don't have patience to play trash, especially trash that wants to take you life like some online games do these days.

Siobhan

Arbiter
You literally sound like a fucking grandpa.
Well my daughter just got married, so... fingers crossed?

Anyways, I didn't make a value judgment, time waster was used as a descriptive term. What other hobby let's you cheaply spend hours on end by yourself without it ever getting boring or too strenous? Time flies when you're hooked on a good game, I can't think of anything else that works like that and doesn't ruin you financially. This is the unique strength of video games, the one thing where they demonstrably outstrip every other hobby: a continous, neverending stream of easy, pure, undiluted fun. That's the thing gaming culture should proudly embrace rather than pining for recognition as an art form (because, why should anyone care about that?). But for some people, enjoyment isn't enough, and video games do not compare as well to other hobbies in those respects.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I quit games at one point or another maybe half a dozen times.
Usually I pick games back up after some RL crisis like breaking up with a close GF, divorce, job loss, relocation.
I started up again recently (again) because of divorce, had to move back to old home, etc. around a year ago.
Been playing non-stop until a week or so ago.
Plus I had finally built a gaming PC that could handle all the titles I previously could not really run [the real reason i started gaming again :D]
I gotta admit my new rig is a glorious Beast and really not even that super-charged of a system.
I have played so much that my knees hurt, I'm getting carpal tunnel, my back is sore and my social life is non-existent.
I hate the way I feel physically, mentally, and emotionally after gaming for extended time - but the games helped me forget about the past so not all bad.
Smoking cigarettes doesn't help either (which I quit at same time as games). Trying to stop a liter a day coffee habit as well but that is not going so well.
I love games don't get me wrong. The ripple effect and social/psychological side effects are not good in the long run..for me.
Other people can play games and carry on with "normie" life. Gaming fucked me up hard and I didn't even recognize the problem for a long time.
I'm not blaming games or gaming or the industry. No one forced me to play them. I failed at work due to gaming but my then GF was okay with it and supported me, much to my shame today. Life for me is orders of magnitude better without games.

I'm a fucking train wreck in general so take this for what it is worth.
Peace.

Master

Arbiter
I don't understand. There aren't that many good games, to be wasting 100s of hours. Just don't play shitty ones and you can accomplish.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In theory videos games should be the greatest medium of all time.
It might not be the best medium, but it is the best form of digital entertainment.

There is no "kind of agree" button, I'm unsure if you are including digitized versions of music and film in that definition because if you are then why?
I include. My reason is that although I love good music and films, gaming wins because it is not just about passive consumption.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Anyways, I didn't make a value judgment, time waster was used as a descriptive term. What other hobby let's you cheaply spend hours on end by yourself without it ever getting boring or too strenous? Time flies when you're hooked on a good game, I can't think of anything else that works like that and doesn't ruin you financially. This is the unique strength of video games, the one thing where they demonstrably outstrip every other hobby: a continous, neverending stream of easy, pure, undiluted fun. That's the thing gaming culture should proudly embrace rather than pining for recognition as an art form (because, why should anyone care about that?). But for some people, enjoyment isn't enough, and video games do not compare as well to other hobbies in those respects.

This really has zero to do with what I found amusing about your post. It was the "physical activities like jigsaw puzzles and cross-stitch feel much more rewarding" bullshit. We can argue where video games as an art form begins and ends compared to movies or whatever else all day in a masturbatory exercise that doesn't matter, but saying they're less meaningful than fucking jigsaw puzzles because those are tactile or "real" is fucking retarded Luddite thinking.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This really has zero to do with what I found amusing about your post. It was the "physical activities like jigsaw puzzles
This a million times. Jigsaw puzzles are the most retarded form of games, they are almost like a scam. "Here, we have this nice big picture, let's cut in to 10.000 little pieces so you can put it together again." If we had videogames with that type of gameplay, they would be ridiculed back and forth. Playing games can be much more rewarding, either from a narrative perspective, or from gameplay/challange perspective.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Siobhan

Arbiter
Jigsaw puzzles are the most retarded form of games
I felt the same way a few years ago. Things change, and I found I'm happier embracing it even if it makes no sense to my monocled codex self and its penchant for hypertrophic rationality. Jigsaw puzzles are nice because you can do them on the porch with your spouse while slurping the disgusting lemonade you bought from the neighbor's kids, and then you frame the whole thing and put it up in the house as a reminder of that moment. If that's too banal or sentimental for you, just slap the label "tactile experience" on it and you can have a theoretical debate as to why that does or does not trump challenge or narrative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom