Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by DarkUnderlord, Sep 16, 2021.

?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

1. RPG Discussion

177 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Free Speech

205 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    I just want him to stop tainting the frontpage with stanning for shitty non-RPGs :decline:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Archwizard Hank Learned

Archwizard Hank
    I pitched in my two cents regarding this issue in the thread about splitting the site, but since you're still insistent on this, I might as well elaborate. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, though as someone who runs a website (albeit one that isn't anywhere near as well-trafficked and prestigious as this one) I can at least sympathize somewhat with what you're maybe trying to push here. Maintaining a site like this isn't an easy task, and I admire the fact that barring some recent alterations, you've kept the site's identity more or less unmolested.

Having said that, just based on my own limited experience as a webmaster and community manager and based on my own observations of how other people have managed communities, splitting the site really doesn't strike me as the greatest idea. People here have brought up the NeoGAF/ResetEra split as either a cautionary tale of what PolDex could become or as a reason why you should excise political discussion, but the thing most people are generally ignoring when discussing these sites in this context is that GAF's userbase was pretty sharply split opinion-wise before the site divided. The Codex on the other hand, while possessing a fairly diverse opinionbase (at least if you look closely enough) still on average leans to one side of the political graph. Ergo, in my view, splitting the sites would only really create an artificial division. You wouldn't be quarantining anything because the userbase isn't divided enough, and in the end one or both of the sites would atrophy and die due to a lack of activity - likely PolDex as it wouldn't have a backlog of posting history for lurkers to get engaged with. It's also worth noting that (to my knowledge) neither GAF nor Era are exclusively politics or vidya forums. They're polar opposites on the horseshoe (to use a political barometer not everyone agrees with) but they also understand that the basis of your poll is a false dichotomy. (Or at least GAF does.)

If this really is an issue with your local government cracking down on what gets posted here, again, I sympathize - though I'm also with GhostCow on this one. The law errs in favor of which country hosts your servers. If you need to move yourself and/or the servers to maintain the site's identity, we'll fundraise you. Seriously. I'd pitch in some monies.

• Brofist x 9
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Junmarko Arcane

Junmarko
    Don't fix what isn't broken. If some members of the "staff" think it is, they can quit.

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. gaussgunner Arcane

gaussgunner
    If that's the problem, just move it to the Deep Dark Web where everything good and right will soon be forced to go, along with the vilest degeneracy and fed honeypots. We'll figure it out.

• Balanced Balanced x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Maybe DU is just tired of dealing with us, have you guys considered that?

• Agree x 4
    • Yes x 3
    • Rage x 2
    • Heresy x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. false Kalin Arcane

false Kalin
    ---> :obviously:

What do you see?

• Prestigious Prestigious x 15
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Kitty Kitty x 2
    • That's an Elephant That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Девочка ты мороженного хочешь или чтоб тебя трамвай переехал?

• Bad Spelling x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Thor Kaufman Arcane Zionist Agent

Thor Kaufman
    As we learned from Terry (RIP), always ask yourself, is this divine intellect or niggerlicious.

This thread, niggerlicious.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    1. Tired of our bullshit
    2. Midlife crisis (maybe he wants to start a family?)
    3. Stifling new Australian internet laws
    Some combination of those three I would guess.

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 3
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. false Kalin Arcane

false Kalin
    Everything sucks. Everything is decline and the worst part is that no one is allowed to talk about it.

There are rules and the rules constantly change and no one is allowed to know them but woe unto him who breaks the rules!

There's a rule that women in video games must be ugly. This is recent but universal rule. On other forums, acknowledging this will get you warned or banned. Another rule decrees that all media must be packed with negroes. Noticing this is strictly against the rules, unless you're celebrating it, of course.

I prefer a forum where itz possible to acknowledge or even discuss these rules because they're decline. They make everything they touch worse. The entire point of Codex is to fight, or at least scrutinize, the decline. If it can't do that, it has no point existing.

That being said, free speech is an illusion. The truth is not, and has never been, competitive in the unregulated market of ideas because cynical manipulators defect from the assumed goodwill of others. Hence, politics section on Codex infested with feds, commies and greeks who bog down any attempt at real discussion with their inanities. We'd be better off appointing some semi-sane right-winger as mod and sealing off the subforum as invitation only. This is like the thing Lambchop was talking about.

If Codex under legal pressure, which seems to be the real issue, the necessary steps more complex. DU would need loyal mods instead of his current crew of elderly backstabbers. Then he'd have to ban 'white nationalism' and the negro word. More importantly, his mods would have to ban every single user who says something like 'you're racist' or 'that's very problematic' or any of the other fake phrases that mean 'bow to me, redneck.' You'd have to ban 'politics' while still allowing discussion of the decline. Remember, the people who complain about 'politics' are always the ones who seek to infuse their philosophical views into everything with all the subtlety of a brick to the face. Then they ban you when you notice it. DarkUnderlord, if you like, I'll sober up and expand on the idea of this regrettably incoherent paragraph but, for now, when you want to talk about forbidden topics, need a level of circumspection.

• Brofist x 15
    • Doggy x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ehrenmann Another obvious alt

Ehrenmann
    Codex censorship = frustrated white men = frustrated white men acquire guns and explosives = frustrated white men shoot up long nose tribe and high melanin tribe

This is not blackmail, just straight facts.

• Informative x 4
    • STOP! posting x 3
    • Button x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • sheeeeiiiit x 1
    • incline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Does he realise that he could get Starlink? Literally what it's for.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Bester ⚰️☠️⚱️ Patron Vatnik

Bester
    Oy vey, I so believe you. Why wouldn't a goy like me believe an ever-plotting, neurotic, mentally deranged jew like yourself?

[​IMG]

• Funny x 18
    • Brofist x 3
    • Fishy x 2
    • Racist x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Sjahki Novice

Sjahki
    I only read the first 2 pages.

This site basically introduced me to rpgs since my earlier encounters with the genre had pretty much been limited to Diablo II and Morrowind. After Oblivion got announced I went to the elder scrolls forums from where I eventually ended up in the codex. I enjoyed reading about rpgs and what they should be and aren't most of the time. Although even then during my lurking years I think I already gravitated towards gd. To me it seems that with the emergence of vr the character skill rpg is bound to just simply die off while the choice & consequence rpg has a very bright future ahead of it. Regardless, this site is invaluable for both its rpg discussions and as a standing torch for free speech. I was thinking about rusty_shackleford 's comment that there can be no limit to free speech at all and I disagree. True free speech leaves the door open to all kinds of harassment and significant disruption of discourse which have always been bannable offenses on the codex when taken to their extremes. The ability to say "lol, triggers" which has been taken from us has always been counterproductive. All it does is piss off people that do not find it funny. It does not gather you support for any cause except from people who are already with it. Also it is hurtful towards dark skinned people. Their genetics might predispose them to vilonce and such statistically, but they are living Beings first and foremost. As much as the statistics paint a picture that a thousand word Vice article can not erase, ceci n'est pas une nègre. A mental picture is not reality and even though statistically dark apples are more likely to be bad apples, not all dark apples are bad. There are not many things that warm my heart more than a repentant negro.

I am rambling, but if we want to keep codex we will all need to do our part in these trying times. The administrtion needs to keep its head up and not lower itself to the despicable level of other sites. The user base needs to keep its head down. No, "lol I say the words my mom won't let me say" but well thought out arguments that require double takes from censorship enforcers.

• cuck x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Twiglard Unwanted Sad Loser

Unwanted
    Joshua Moon formed an LLC to protect Kiwi Farms from censorship. Then again, their user base is far larger than the Codex.

If there are in fact legal issues, it makes sense to move formal ownership onto an American entity and keep everything else running as-is.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Primarily an RPG discussion forum, but one that allows all facets to be discussed due to also being more free speech conscious than others.

If this is about Aus laws, then I completely understand why changes might need to be made even if I vehemently hate the requirement.

My suggestion, if the politics/GD forums have to be sacrificed (so that the site could remain up), would be to keep the Gaming Drama forum around and allow discussion of SJW topics related to gaming to continue there.

Political discussion unrelated to gaming could always continue on one of our 10 million discords.

Ultimately I hope this Codex continues as is, but this seems like the best compromise if "the man" is gunning for the place.

Edit: Also probably been stated, but if any of this actually happens the site/community is definitely going to shrink a lot. Any big changes to the Dex should be a last resort of necessity rather than casually done.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • decline decline x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. HeroMarine Irenaeus

HeroMarine
    The same is true for any site on the internet.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If you limit free speech, then it is not free. It is that simple.
    You are free to say so, as free as I am to call you retarded for harbouring such an opinion.
    If some people find it funny then it already does more than you give it credit for.
    Dark-skinned-people != Niggers
    Also lmao who gives a shit.

Show Spoiler
    Nigger.

• Brofist x 10
    • Salute x 4
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lemon Arcane

Lemon
    The politics forum has the same basic culture as the RPG boards.

Kill that culture. And the RPG side dies too. It becomes just another forum. And dwindles in relevance to posters.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Twiglard Unwanted Sad Loser

Unwanted
    GG has gone global. Ignoring the larger SJW trends and focusing on gaming is essentially meaningless. KiA had devolved into consoomer outrage bait years ago due to the limited selection of topics.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    As I say in the post, any changes are going to heavily degrade the site, but if this is a matter of the aussie stormtroopers busting down doors then it seems like the only compromise that allows the site to continue in some (weakened) form.

Then again this may just be another September drama like the Kalinite shit last year, so who knows.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lemon Arcane

Lemon
    That defies our most basic nature.

It would be better to let the site die. And remember it for the interesting place it was.

• Brofist x 13
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Twiglard Unwanted Sad Loser

Unwanted
    That's all a vacuous debate unless DarkUnderlord shares his rationale for the plans of encuckening the Codex.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    It's all pointless anyway. If DU wants or needs to do something, he'll just do it.

The polls/discussions are just window dressing.

As I've mentioned, if this is due to new/upcoming laws then it's at least understandable. I think it would be better to just come right out and say it though.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I take note of the subtle implication that we will either have free speech or discuss RPGs. Once both were possible, but as is with any service today - the less is more philosophy prevails, and today you have to pay for what was free yesterday.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.