Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by DarkUnderlord, Sep 16, 2021.

?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

1. RPG Discussion

177 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Free Speech

205 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    it would be entirely impossible to discuss things like the gnomish conspiracy in arcanum on a censored site

• Funny x 17
    • "It was Aliens" x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • Makes you think... x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Ed123, your thoughts on this gnome conspiracy.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. sqeecoo Arcane

sqeecoo
    DarkUnderlord, as a longtime lurker and Codex lover (homo), I have huge respect for you for keeping this forum intact over the years. If there are deeper/legal issues at play here, ask for help if that's possible - if not, I'll be very sad but all good things come to an end eventually. We resist entropy for as long as we can, but no further.

But splitting the forums or somesuch for other reasons is just a bad idea. You either have to have massive censorship based on a very vague rule (no politics in gaming discussion), or you will just have political discussion migrate to the gaming section instead of predominantly staying in GD.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ehrenmann Another obvious alt

Ehrenmann
    You either die racist or live long enough to see yourself become a niggerlover.

Rather put Codex to euthanasia.

• Funny x 7
    • Shit x 3
    • STOP! posting x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • sheeeeiiiit x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Feyd Rautha Arcane Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ok voted RPG since that's the purpose of the site. Free speech can go somewhere else I guess.

• cuck x 13
    • decline x 3
    • Shit x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • No x 1
    • Peaceful protest x 1
    • +20 Social Credit x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 7
    • Makes you think... x 6
    • +20 Social Credit x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Atlantico unida e indivisible Patron

Atlantico
    That "implication" is subtle like a brick to the head.

Which is why you're just about the sixtieth person to mention it.

Self-absorbed dumbfuck.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, and you will read it and memorize it. Because that's your purpose. Read and memorize every dumbfuck post.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Atlantico unida e indivisible Patron

Atlantico
    No need, your posts are all the same kind of Dunning Kruger drivel.

Seen one, seen them all.

BTW is that delirious brainfart supposed to be a snappy comeback? You are really one of a kind retardísimo

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, whatever, just stop screeching already.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
  12. RNGsus True Neutral Patron

RNGsus
    Hating a game is an alt-right dog whistle or some bullshit so just move the site to another country entirely.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    It's not about what I want to do but about what I may have to do.

The choice in the poll is clear, because that's what the choice is. As numerous people here have pointed out - and know from experience - once you go down the censorship rabbit hole, where does it end? Right now we have one word. What about all the other words people can use? Where do we stop?

It doesn't. It goes right into turning the forum into another RetardEra. At which point we may as well shut the whole lot down.

As has been alluded to, the Australian High Court made a ruling recently which effectively means I (and the staff) may be responsible for the shit most of you idiots post.

And that's Facebook. Where you're required to post under your real name. What are the greater implications for us?

As Roguey said: DU's been clear for years that he's not so much "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" but "Say whatever you want up until the point where it becomes a legal inconvenience for me."

The Codex has always been a fun hobby. And now, we have a bunch of "free speech" proponents who run the minute shit gets serious and expect me to die on a hill for them.

If you want to post shit on the internet, that's one thing. But if you expect me to take a bullet for that shit, while you scurry off under your fake name and proxy account, that's entirely another.

If you want to be "free speech", that's fine. But you can damn well put your name next to it and stand by what you said.

And how are those crying "free speech" going to feel when I'm ordered to hand over your identifying details to law enforcement authorities? You expect me to refuse and go to jail on your behalf?

Over an RPG website?

We know that a large number of the shit-posters register with free dodgy email accounts and use proxies. Are you going to tell me they're really here to discuss RPGs?

How would you feel if I require personally identifying information in order for you to post on the Codex? Enter your credit card details here so I know who you are, just in case someone decides to play games over some shit you posted.

But even then, that's not enough. They can come after me now. They don't have to care about you. And knowing half the shit-posters and trolls we have here, I guarantee you someone's already thinking about how much "fun" they can have with this.

We already had someone try to shut us down earlier this year.

On one hand, I could argue the likelihood of that is small. Who's really going to take it to court, and sue for defamation in Australia and actually take it that far? It's not entirely an easy process.

But on the other, it's a worrying trend. It's only a matter of time before someone tries it. And all we need is for one person to give it a go and suddenly, we have some very big problems.

Over an RPG discussion website.

• Brofist x 22
    • Despair x 18
    • Informative x 11
    • Salute x 6
    • honk honk! x 6
    • Friendly x 4
    • decline x 3
    • Fishy x 1
    • sheeeeiiiit x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ehrenmann Another obvious alt

Ehrenmann
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Alphard Erudite

Alphard
    Thank you for clearing up the situation. I can understand your difficult position. I'd say if the choice is to conform to PC and become another generic NPC full forum or shut it down the whole thing, go for the second. Better to die as a hero etc. I couldnt tolerate RPGcodex go full decline in few years. It's better to remember as it was , a place full of autists and edgelords and incels, with a good heart (and some unavoidable reatrdness).

BTW thata said, have you tought stepping down, and handing your powers to someone trusted that doesnt live in a totalitarian shitole? Or the situation is not that simple?

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ehrenmann Another obvious alt

Ehrenmann
    :salute:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Despair Despair x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Twiglard Unwanted Sad Loser

Unwanted
    Transfer the domain and the server formally to someone from the US. Keep it running as normal other than that. Is this doable?

• Agree x 8
    • Brofist x 4
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • feels good man x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Parsimonious cook Augur Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    OK, I get all that. The thing is (and I speak as someone who doesn’t know shit about Australian law) - does saying "African American" (or for that matter "kike," "gook" "faggot" etc) actually count as "defamation?" Because if not (frankly I cannot imagine someone would try to sue you over seeing a "bad" word on your forum) then the solution isn’t really a word filter. I haven’t really seen anything outright illegal posted here (granted I read only small percentage of what is being posted though), but you could simply put up some general disclaimer that people aren’t allowed to "deny holocaust" or "declare support for terrorism" etc and simply crack down on people who do that (if anyone actually does shit like this here, it definitely isn’t a significant percentage of people).

The free speech doesn’t need to encompass shit that is outright illegal and I don’t think anyone was really arguing for that anyway. It does encompass me being able to say "African American" or to point out that forced homo/tranny characters in CP2077 are shit. If the later is no longer possible in Australia then yeah, either move or close this place down, nobody needs the Codex to be a generic vidya forum #45562888663.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I thought this might be the case. The openness is appreciated.

I would guess practical options are:

1. Hand over the site to someone in the states. Though judging by how things are going, the US may end up with similar legal issues in the very near future.

2. Kill all political discussion, though hopefully we can still allow some reasonable discussion of woke silliness in gaming. Though I've no idea how broad "defamation" is in Australia.

3. Kill the site and go out on a high.

That said, I think 2 and 3 are ultimately the same outcome. Number 2 will just be a slower death.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Give the Codex to a Pole.

:smug:

• Disgusting! x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • incline x 3
    • How about this as a button x 2
    • feels good man x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    All hail our new overlord Roxor.

• incline x 10
    • Math! x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Begone thot! x 1
    • popamole x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Ladonna Arcane

Ladonna
    DarkUnderlord

Fair enough. I understand where you are coming from. But why the mysterious polls? Why not come out and say this in the first place?

And how would splitting the forums help you? Has someone offered to host them overseas?

Does this only cover defamation? Or does it cover state/other laws eg hate speech laws, etc?

And what happened earlier in the year?

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    There was talk that jcd had reported the site. I'm guessing there was fallout from that?

• it is a mystery x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Jcd is one ugly mutherfucker.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Parsimonious cook Augur Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    Honestly with all the "prejudicial hatred" shit that is being pushed in EU right now, basing the Codex in Poland would hardly be much better than the current situation in Austrailia. In the Czech Republic we already had people sentenced to years in jail for "supporting terrorism" by making shitposts on Facebook about Tarrant giving the mudslimes the taste of their own medicine and I dont think its all that different in Poland. The only defence would be that nobody would likely give a fuck about a gaming forum (plus nobody gives a fuck if you say "African American"), but there is no telling when things might change on that front.

US would be a safe option at least for the time being.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.