Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Cleve was 100% correct about Australians, they're fucking scum. Retarded troglodytes, inhuman monsters, vapid cocksuckers, asslicking whores. There is currently exactly one good website left on the Internet, which is this one. The only problem is that the servers are in the country run by subhuman vermin.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Cleve was 100% correct about Australians, they fucking scum. Retarded troglodytes, inhuman monsters, vapid cocksuckers, asslicking whores. There is currently exactly one good website left on the Internet, which is this one. The only problem is that the servers are in the country run by subhuman vermin.
There's RigorousIntuition, but you have to register through fb and effortpost.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Figures that shortly after I finally decide to become an active member the beast following me casts its disintegrating gaze over the forums. Sorry everyone, I only wanted to make some new friends.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Do what you must. I'm not a "free speech!!!" guy, and I certainly don't recommend you get into trouble for what is essentially a hobby.

I picked "free speech" simply because I understand what the other option entails these days. If it's because of words like n*gger or others words that trigger certain kinds of people, then I don't think it's a big deal though.

I like the characters here, and even when my sanity gets damaged here, I always return eventually. Though I have to be honest, in my case I came for the RPG discussion, but stayed for general discussion. The older I get, the less interest I have in RPGs or video games in general.

Ladonna

Arcane
Cleve was 100% correct about Australians, they fucking scum. Retarded troglodytes, inhuman monsters, vapid cocksuckers, asslicking whores. There is currently exactly one good website left on the Internet, which is this one. The only problem is that the servers are in the country run by subhuman vermin.

That was kept this way by an Australian, against more than one person in the past (from other countries) that wanted the Codex to be a "respectable, prestigious magazine" and ban people that derided developers and their games. And no, I don't mean Infinitron.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It's not about what I want to do but about what I may have to do.

The choice in the poll is clear, because that's what the choice is. As numerous people here have pointed out - and know from experience - once you go down the censorship rabbit hole, where does it end? Right now we have one word. What about all the other words people can use? Where do we stop?

It doesn't. It goes right into turning the forum into another RetardEra. At which point we may as well shut the whole lot down.

As has been alluded to, the Australian High Court made a ruling recently which effectively means I (and the staff) may be responsible for the shit most of you idiots post.

And that's Facebook. Where you're required to post under your real name. What are the greater implications for us?

As Roguey said: DU's been clear for years that he's not so much "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" but "Say whatever you want up until the point where it becomes a legal inconvenience for me."

The Codex has always been a fun hobby. And now, we have a bunch of "free speech" proponents who run the minute shit gets serious and expect me to die on a hill for them.

If you want to post shit on the internet, that's one thing. But if you expect me to take a bullet for that shit, while you scurry off under your fake name and proxy account, that's entirely another.

If you want to be "free speech", that's fine. But you can damn well put your name next to it and stand by what you said.

And how are those crying "free speech" going to feel when I'm ordered to hand over your identifying details to law enforcement authorities? You expect me to refuse and go to jail on your behalf?

Over an RPG website?

We know that a large number of the shit-posters register with free dodgy email accounts and use proxies. Are you going to tell me they're really here to discuss RPGs?

How would you feel if I require personally identifying information in order for you to post on the Codex? Enter your credit card details here so I know who you are, just in case someone decides to play games over some shit you posted.

But even then, that's not enough. They can come after me now. They don't have to care about you. And knowing half the shit-posters and trolls we have here, I guarantee you someone's already thinking about how much "fun" they can have with this.

We already had someone try to shut us down earlier this year.

On one hand, I could argue the likelihood of that is small. Who's really going to take it to court, and sue for defamation in Australia and actually take it that far? It's not entirely an easy process.

But on the other, it's a worrying trend. It's only a matter of time before someone tries it. And all we need is for one person to give it a go and suddenly, we have some very big problems.

Over an RPG discussion website.

Now that I understand where you are coming from. You should have just came out and said this is the problem I'm facing. I'm pretty sure most of us here would understand your position. You do have a few options like talk to a lawyer about this or find a US citizen to marry and immigrate there. Once in the US go through the process of getting US citizenship and once done renounce your Australian one.

The really sad thing is that there really isn't such a thing as hate speech. It's just speech someone disagrees with. That's the clown world we're living in now. As such, I switch my vote to remove the "hate speech" words to shield you and others from legal liability. It's not worth going to prison or into poverty over.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yes, DU definitely should marry a kwa and move there, to make sure he really appreciates their culture

Lambach

Arcane
You do have a few options like talk to a lawyer about this or find a US citizen to marry and immigrate there. Once in the US go through the process of getting US citizenship and once done renounce your Australian one.

"Completely uproot yourself and drastically change your life forever so you can keep an obscure, niche vidya-related website".

N!gger, you for real? :lol:

Don't get me wrong, if I were Australian, I'd scrape and claw my way out of that totalitarian miserable shithole any way I could, but not because of some goddamn hobby website I'm presiding over.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You do have a few options like talk to a lawyer about this or find a US citizen to marry and immigrate there. Once in the US go through the process of getting US citizenship and once done renounce your Australian one.

"Completely uproot yourself and drastically change your life forever so you can keep an obscure, niche vidya-related website".

Don't get me wrong, if I were Australian, I'd scrape and claw my way out of that totalitarian miserable shithole any way I could, but not because of some goddamn hobby website I'm presiding over.

JamesDixon only has a tenuous grasp on reality

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Come on, he might just be a US citizen with an unhealthy crush on DU.

He saw a chance to propose, he took it.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
So then in Australia, Facebook is responsible for any defamation any person may post there.

A likely story.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

I did not. I said he could find a US citizen. Sorry, but I ain't marrying anyone. Once was enough for me.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

That was kept this way by an Australian, against more than one person in the past (from other countries) that wanted the Codex to be a "respectable, prestigious magazine" and ban people that derided developers and their games. And no, I don't mean Infinitron.

Considering the fact that the problem is the democratic government Australians as described by Cleve probably outnumber normal people at least 10 to 1.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's all bullshit and he'll never transfer the ownership of the domain name to anyone but himself, he'd rather kill the codex entirely. And he'll never even say what is it that's so terrible if he gets sued. Because let me tell you about the horrible thing. He'll have to pick up a phone and call a lawyer, and then make a codex campaign for legal fees, which is just a couple of clicks. What a hassle, oooof. Better play a victim on the forum to harvest some brofists and posts like "oh I appreciate your honesty, wow, so deep".
"Oh no, we live on borrowed time! Better shut down right now, before something happens!"

Meanwhile 4chan, piratebay, etc all work as usual.

Whatever. Idiots.
Jesus Christ, Bester, can't you just drop the act for once? Just this once, please. Please.
Only if you say "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD" and burst into tears.

Literally nothing happened. Relax your anus.
I'm not crying and I am not doing anything with my anus (fantadomat isn't around). I just find your "I'm the only big boy around and nothing deserves to be taken seriously unless I say so" act incredibly insufferable. It really irks me the wrong way, but then thankfully I remember that you wanted to post a review but couldn't do it because you didn't like the CSS and I calm down.
And now i am here,coming for you!

Archwizard Hank

Learned
A lot of people seem to be gravitating towards shutting down the site outright. I still think it'd be prudent to look into minimizing your liability as much as possible in a way that doesn't compromise the site's current identity, be it through shifting the company and/or yourself to the US or some other recourse.

If you do ultimately shut down the site for whatever reason, I hope you provide a read-only archive that can either be browsed or downloaded.

jackofshadows

Magister

I did not. I said he could find a US citizen. Sorry, but I ain't marrying anyone. Once was enough for me.
Oh, come on, for rpgcodex's sake!

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think you guys are misunderstanding what DU is proposing.

It seems to me that what he's saying is, if he's going to fight this out, he's not going to headline the fight as: "Obscure RPG Forum fights for right to say nigger". He takes that as a non-starter; no possibility of mainstream support, interested userbase not large enough/invested enough to support the fight, can't get media traction (because, if he opens up and goes guns blazing, it will be fought in the media eventually). Instead he's visualizing something along the lines of: "Free Speech forum fights for Free Speech principles (oh, btw, we have an RPG section, come take a look)". The idea is not to get rid of RPG discussion altogether. The idea is to make the principle of Free Speech the mast-head that people see when they look at the site, with RPG discussion being one of many things that happens on it.

It's a change of optics as preparation for a fight he knows would be coming if he sticks to his guns.

DarkUnderlord, if I interpreted you correctly, then I'd support you in what you propose. I've given a couple hundred dollars to the Codex itself, and another couple hundred dollars in support of various campaigns over the years, but I'd be willing to substantially change my spending habits to support you if you really want to make a fight of it. I'd also be willing to volunteer my time. I hadn't taken you as someone willing to lead a Movement, but if you decide to make a go of it, I'll get in harness for you.

I mean, not that I'd make any big difference or that this post isn't just a liiiittle try-hard :D. But I wanted to let you know that at least one person is willing to fight for this place with you (again, assuming I interpreted you correctly).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom