Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters

Falksi

Arcane
Both innit?

The best thing which endeared this site to me when I first joined, was that it truly backed what free speech in it's real form. Not it's "you're free to say whatever society determines is acceptable" form.

But there's no doubt that I've been introduced to some excellent RPGs which I would have never have come across if this place hadn't existed too.

So yeah, fuck nig-nogs and Bioware.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
e96h5V4u.jpeg

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
the best thing about codex is being able to hear from and interact with indie rpg and roguelike devs directly.

the worst thing is that everything under the sun gets shoved into reductive culture wars rhetoric.

(and the weirdest thing about codex is seeing those same developers and culture warriors disagree on almost every single issue outside of, or even peripheral to, the games themselves.)

DraQ

Arcane
There is no such thing as "free speech website". Unless you count 4chan or somesuch - a perpetual dumpster fire randos can throw shit into.
Furthermore, free speech is never the right rationale for saying anything. It can be invoked as protection (in places where such thing is enshrined), after you have said something - for whatever actual reason - that made someone angry. The bottom line is that saying something - anything - because "muh free speech" merely makes you a dumbass and asshole.

Now, what Codex has always been, is an RPG website - one with free speech as its key feature - and the lack of understanding of the distinction between RPG forum (featuring free speech) and nebulous "free speech forum" (in practice "obnoxious fuckwad arena") is what made the place the massive turd swirly it is now.

The former means that this is a safe spot for anyone, no matter what awful and wrong views they espouse*, to talk about RPG related issues.
The latter means this is is an obnoxious fuckwads and basket cases arena, and, as I suspect, rapidly stinking up liability of some sort.

*) Including ones they should be shot in front of a ditch for**.

**) Irrespective of what, if anything, you think would be grounds for shooting people in front of a ditch.
+M

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There is no such thing as "free speech website". Unless you count 4chan or somesuch - a perpetual dumpster fire randos can throw shit into.
Furthermore, free speech is never the right rationale for saying anything. It can be invoked as protection (in places where such thing is enshrined), after you have said something - for whatever actual reason - that made someone angry. The bottom line is that saying something - anything - because "muh free speech" merely makes you a dumbass and asshole.

Now, what Codex has always been, is an RPG website - one with free speech as its key feature - and the lack of understanding of the distinction between RPG forum (featuring free speech) and nebulous "free speech forum" (in practice "obnoxious fuckwad arena") is what made the place the massive turd swirly it is now.

The former means that this is a safe spot for anyone, no matter what awful and wrong views they espouse*, to talk about RPG related issues.
The latter means this is is an obnoxious fuckwads and basket cases arena, and, as I suspect, rapidly stinking up liability of some sort.

*) Including ones they should be shot in front of a ditch for**.

**) Irrespective of what, if anything, you think would be grounds for shooting people in front of a ditch.
+M

Yes! Good to meet another sane human in the asylum :salute: Some people's idea of "free speech" is apparently being able to walk up to someone and start shouting obscenities in their face. There's no hope for people who can't see the difference between not being prosecuted for discussing one's ideas in a (relatively) civilised manner versus being a massive dick.

Imagine the codex being a public library: everybody is welcome, and even if you have heated arguments, you won't get kicked out. UNLESS you start thrashing the place, make a campfire in the middle of the room, get into fistfights, etc. There has to be some minimum standard, otherwise what you're advocating is basically total anarchy.

But really, the influx of such problematic people can be easily explained: they have been kicked out of pretty much every other gaming forum in existence that have some minimum standard of behaviour, hence their only option is to join the codex, more or less. Now, the real question, does the codex want to be a refugee camp for the antisocial lunatic fringe? I would say no to that.

Gastrick

Cipher
Free speech means being able to say everything you could in a real life conversation with a friend.

they have been kicked out of pretty much every other gaming forum in existence that have some minimum standard of behaviour

Like Felipepe getting banned from NeoGaf when he referred to himself as a newfag.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Yes! Good to meet another sane human in the asylum :salute: Some people's idea of "free speech" is apparently being able to walk up to someone and start shouting obscenities in their face. There's no hope for people who can't see the difference between not being prosecuted for discussing one's ideas in a (relatively) civilised manner versus being a massive dick.

It’s always the same shit, people who think a stranger not choosing to listen to them is “oppression” start crying wolf because someone doesn’t feel obligated to give them their time.

and it’s always based on a false dichotomy where’s there’s no shades of grey possible between soviet style stifling of dissent and being able to harass anyone you want without consequences because its “just words”. As if there’s no room for nuance, no possible difference between SJWs going nuts on Twitter and people just asking you engage with them respectfully.

it’s like they don’t understand speech as speech versus speech as an act (asking a question, insulting someone, interrupting someone, etc).

Free speech means being able to say everything you could in a real life conversation with a friend.

it’s about being immune from prosecution (eg being made a political prisoner) for expressing your beliefs. It’s not about being allowed to walk into someone’s house and demand they listen to you rant tor an hour.

put more bluntly it’s about the government and public institutions, not individuals and private companies.

Gastrick

Cipher

it’s about being immune from prosecution (eg being made a political prisoner) for expressing your beliefs. It’s not about being allowed to walk into someone’s house and demand they listen to you rant tor an hour.
Just like you don't need to listen to them in real life, you don't need to on the codex by using the "ignore" button or stepping away from the computer.

Imagine the codex being a public library: everybody is welcome, and even if you have heated arguments, you won't get kicked out. UNLESS you start thrashing the place, make a campfire in the middle of the room, get into fistfights, etc. There has to be some minimum standard, otherwise what you're advocating is basically total anarchy.
Except it's a website and you don't have to engage with anyone or read their posts. Reddit tier opinion, but at least you didn't use a food analogy

Greek Anime God

Scholar
put more bluntly it’s about the government and public institutions, not individuals and private companies.
I too only like a boot in my face when it is of a sexy luxurious corporate brand instead of the gross statist kind that old uncles like Stalin wore. When you end up in a gulag and the guards barely seem to care it's hard to get into it but when banking cartels shut down your ability to use financial services and engage in tasteful findom that makes you feel like you're indulging in a thinking man's game. It's like the ancient Greeks always said, tyrants are pretty bad but if you got cash we'll let you do anything a tyrant would and more.
otherwise what you're advocating is basically total anarchy
What's wrong with anarchy?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I too only like a boot in my face when it is of a sexy luxurious corporate

by private company i meant a mom + pop store, someone's self-employment, that kinsda thing -- distinctly not a corporation. sorry, could've been more clear.

though overall i was talking about what the concept actually referred to, not what it should mean.

when banking cartels shut down your ability to use financial services

this is why defi is great

What's wrong with anarchy?

nothing at all, it's Da Best

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Except it's a website and you don't have to engage with anyone or read their posts. Reddit tier opinion, but at least you didn't use a food analogy

What is a "Reddit tier opinion"? I don't even post on Reddit, man... Plus the Reddit threads I occasionaly checked were ranging from completely moronic to civilised discussion, so this means nothing to me.

I'd say when you have 10-page long useless noise about SJW bullshit in a game announcement thread, then we have a problem. The funny thing is that I don't care about SWJ shit, I don't use Twitter, I don't see any trans people or whatever they're called these days where I live (I see gay couples maybe once in 3 months, and that's it), so ironically if it wasn't for the codex, I would be completely "ignorant" of these "issues". I just don't care for this shit, I'm here to read about games, okay? To use another example, if I go to a woodworking forum, I don't want to read about people's opinions about WW2 and the nazis and stuff like that for pages, because I'm there to read about... uh, woodworking?

The other disturbing thing is that many of these posters take these things so dead seriously, as if their life depended on it. Is this really the most important thing for you to worry about, really? What about domestic violence, child abuse, worker exploitation, modern day slavery, and I could go on with other topics that are 1000 times more important than whether XYZ game has some OPTIONAL bullshit pronouns, or whether the female protagonists has or hasn't big enough tits for your taste. [Sure, I prefer female characters with big boobs, but that's beside the point :)]

Also, giving it back to ya: if you don't like those games and they upset you (as in the general "you")... just don't play them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom