Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a creative namer?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I'm really not.
I usually have pool of default names that get used depending on setting and race of the character (dwarf will get different name than orc. etc.)

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Some of the recent names that I have used:

Cippa Lippa,
Mollo Tutto,
Rotto Inculo,
Te Rompo,
Ciuccia Lacanna.

I would like to use these too, but many crpgs don't accept them:

Perillinumbesberli,
Pancrittolorcoscassi.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If it's an post-apocalypse themed game, I name my character Robert Nozick. Minimal society and all that, you know.

If it's a fantasy setting, quite often some char name from our irl pnp RuneQuest sessions.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Better to have an entire party named after prominent philosophers:

D&DV1.jpg

D&DV2.jpg

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I have a few that I always use. Usually Vaniya, Zara or Rona, sometimes Jayne or Veidt. But I'll try to tweak them to fit the setting at least a little bit if not all the way, add a surname/second name or something. Just finished 'Expeditions: Conquistador,' named my character 'Zara Armada.' Not that much more suitable, but enough for me.

Oracsbox

I name mine after diseases and ailments I've had..

For instance
Osgood Scahlatter
Psoriasis
Broken Bone
Chicken Pox

Also old fashioned diseases work such as

Scarlatina
Marasmus
Sanctum Otis
Lockjaw
Pleurisy
Effluvium
Dropsy

Perhaps adding an extra title

Such as Effluvium the Flemy or Ague the Fevered

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Usually its a silly portmanteau or some kind of wordplay if its going to be multiplayer. BonytheOgre in D2 for a necromancer, Fingerbang when I tried D3 DH, Slipperyslope for a D3 Monk, for a tank in an MMO call it Agro or something similar, Taunt if its a DPS. Stupid names that slightly fit the class motif. I try to ride the line of exceedingly poor taste when I can, have had to change a few names over it in recent years. If in doubt, go crude and lewd!

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Topic has been done before in various forms, but why not again?

Do you feel you're fairly creative in naming your characters in RPGs? If so, care to share some examples? Do you have difficulty coming up with new names every time, thus resorting to recycling them or just randomly mashing the keyboard?
I'm not sure how "creative" it is, but I always endeavor to take setting-appropriate names and such. I don't "LARP" in my games, but I do always play from the POV of my character, and judge motivations and actions and such from that perspective too.

I've literally never played a single-player game where I'm using a nickname as the name of my character or something like SirPoopyHead. This includes multiplayer games when appropriate (DOS1 comes to mind), but does not include multiplayer games that doesn't really have a narrative or meaningful setting of some kind, where you're rarely named anyone and your "you" is your handle anyway.

vazha

Arcane
Tabletop gamin sessions usually yield the best names. I am happy to report that I have a gnome bard named Glasnost, for example. Specializes in bullshitting, of course.

Falksi

Arcane
I like to name them after friends and family in the first run. Then if it's a good game make them up myself.

Although action RPGs where you can create your own characters like Dragon's Dogma & Divinity 2 always get a female redhead as the main character named after Golden Axe's Tyris Flare.

Humbaba

Arcane
I stopped giving a shit about naming my chars a while ago, which is why I usually give them names like John or Sherman

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
In party-based games, I always name a character after some delicious food to challenge this old goat-herder belief that goats with food names die prematurely. Strangely enough, it has proved mostly wrong. Sir Masala - short for Butter Chicken Masala - the Druid did an excellent job in M&M 3 recently.
The exception being Kenshi, where in my longest game, the two goats with meat-based name were first to meet an early and bloody demise (the aptly named Gratin and Lasagna). My other animals had a long and busy life, including my last goat, Steamed-Vegetables. So yeah, no coincidence.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Creative, not really, most of the time, i use Jack Vance's character names, Simbilis, Rhialto, Iucounu or R. E. Howard's ones, Kull, Thulsa Doom, Amra or others from the literature or Celtics legends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom